Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This reminds me of a similar situation in Turkey a couple of years ago. Their hilariously corrupt and incompetent car inspection system was judged beyond all hope, so they disbanded it completely and hired a large German inspection company(TÜV)to rebuild the entire system from the ground up. Employees from the previous inspection service where even forbidden from working there. They also put high emphasis on computerizing absolutely everything, so that it would be very difficult to manipulate inspection results. Maybe something that China can learn from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So what's up with Chinese people here in Germany not trying to learn the language? I swear some people have been living here for 4+ years without speaking a single word of German, just getting by with English. Everyone else, no matter where they come from, signs up for language lessons or at least gets some books when they come here. But not the Chinese.

Whats going on here, are they waiting for us to learn Chinese and are too polite to tell us?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So it's really nothing cultural? Then I guess it's just convenience, since everyone can speak English anyway.

systran posted:

I'm guessing most of them are enrolled in some degree program that is taught entirely in English and they have enough trouble with that so they don't want to bother with German

Come on, it's hard work not to learn a single word in 4 years.

computer parts posted:

People have been saying this about Turks for like 10 years now.

Turkish students and graduates speak German like champs. No complaints here.

Ceciltron posted:

In all fairness German is the only language I feel I wasted time studying

Don't we all? At least you had a choice in that matter.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dear China thread,

what's modern political education like in mainland China? Do they still teach Mao, Marx& Co? How do the teachers and students explain the modern Chinese economic system?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Barracuda Bang! posted:

You can tell because there was no .jpg

There are no jpg's in the other thread either :(

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

To be fair, he doesn't claim it was spy balloons. He might just be trying to invoke an image of a reasonable and level-headed Chinese government not overreacting over a couple US weather balloons that were blown off course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I mean if the governing party can successfully capture the institutions then you can get the central bank and office of national statistics to fudge the numbers the way you want. Until someone notices.

Germany is probably the worst example for this in Europe due its federal structure. There is nothing like a German IRS. The federal states raise all the taxes independently and publish the data. And most of the leadership jobs in the federal administration are non-political/non-appointed offices. And IIRC from the last census, the federal statistics department can only perform and publish statistics specifically as instructed in laws passed by parliament. They can't just fudge the calculation method a little bit. They would have to outright falsify publicly verifiable tax data to change the GDP numbers for the government.

My point being that it's orders of magnitude harder to manipulate data like that in a democracy than in an autocracy.