Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Warbadger posted:

...and 40% lower than the world bank definition of poverty in low/middle income countries. Which seems like a pretty big difference.

For comparison the US poverty line is $36/day. Imagine how much less poverty there would be if they just shaved 40% off that number!

Yes, it's probably worth pointing out that China's official definition of "middle-class" starts below the US definition of the poverty line, which makes the poverty comparisons a bit off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Were there no minorities in the revolutionary republican government or in the prc afterwards? No one were Hakka, Hui, etc? Stalin and Beria and others were minorities in the USSR.

Hey now there's *some* ethnic minorities in the People's Congress. Granted they're obligated to vote however the CCP tells them to, and they're required to wear traditional ethnic garb at every session for photo ops. The Han politicians wear western suits of course, because they're modern people

Perhaps America could learn a thing or two on how to solve a lack of representation in the government, just set aside one seat in congress to represent all native Americans, and require the poor sap to wear a traditional headdress to work as he rubber-stamps whatever the president wants. Racism solved!

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Yes, "becoming the next Japan" would probably be a huge improvement for China. Even during their 'lost decade', Japan still held onto low unemployment rates, extremely low crime rates, and the highest life expectancy in the world. Which is maybe why GDP alone isn't the best barometer for the qualify of life within any country.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
I kind of predict it will cause the sale of xp boosts and any other grind-skipping items to skyrocket. Are they putting restrictions on what minors can spend, or just their playtime?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

Probably, yeah, assuming the policy has enough teeth to get things done. People get more into computers if they can fool around with them at earlier ages, and kids aren't into like excel or word processors. Videogames can also lead a lot of people into more advanced applications of computers as a hobby instead of having to be directly trained for it. I've actually seen an article attributing the big dip of women in computer science in the 80s (before it was more equal) was from the fact that boys were getting a head start by getting a home computer before going to college (and they were marketed more for parents to give to their boys rather than their daughters), which left women lagging behind and getting discouraged by the initial inferiority into quitting the field. We're still recovering from the consequences of that.

Interestingly, the gender gap in CS graduates is a mostly western phenomenon. India, Russia, and certain middle-eastern countries somehow have less of a gender disparity in CS and STEM positions.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder if that's a result of other fields being far worse leaving CS/Stem the only viable choice if you're smart and ambitious?

Soviet bloc countries made a huge effort to bring more women into STEM fields over the decades, but it's also been theorized that a lack of availability for liberal arts degees funnels more women into taking on STEM fields.

Anecdotally speaking, I never saw any female students in my CS classes, even though we had women professors (both Russian). So I was surprised when I got a job and nearly half the engineers I worked with were women, but virtually all were visa workers.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There are more parties in the Chinese government than there are in the American one.

Can they be called "parties", if they're legally prohibited from holding power, and if their legal existence requires their platforms being officially sanctioned by the CCP?

MiddleOne posted:

Just ban all micro-transactions. What would be lost.

What defines a "micro"-transaction? The CCP is less concerned about children wasting their money over their time, because even if they spend all of their parents money in the span of an hour, it still benefits the state.

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 24, 2021

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

A big flaming stink posted:

parties in the prc are not competitors of the CPC, they are basically advocacy groups

this is manifestly untrue, the CPC have taken a variety of actions for the social good of children lately (banning cram schools is another example)

Yes, but once again they're addressing the symptoms instead of the root cause of cram schools.

ie, low-quality public education, a low number of slots at China's few decent universities, fewer routes to climbing the economic ladder, a focus on standardized testing, the hukou system, a lack of social safety nets resulting in parents/granparents betting everything on their kid becoming a big earner, etc.

Then again Korea has the same cram school issue for overlapping but non-identical reasons. Japan less so.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's basically a given that any western/English reporting, for real ANY REPORTING, about Asia has a 90% to be either complete bullshit, framed incredibly deceptively, or taking a niche/limited phenomenon and presenting it as widespread.

Like every goddamn time.

So, like all other for-profit reporting about any given topic.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Rabelais D posted:

China has 56 ethnic groups (officially, of course the real count would be much higher). Do certain people in this thread think that these groups and their lands have always been, and always will be, part of China and that at no point did an imperialism occur?

For additional context, 1 of those 56 ethnic groups makes up over 90% of modern China's population, and is somehow able to commit a mass-stabbing or car attack every 6 months without ever getting classified as a "terrorist" attack.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Bathtub Cheese posted:

I was saying that if all it takes to legitimize secession is that a simple majority of the population agrees that it is now independent, regardless of any other circumstances, then what would prevent a hypothetical Texas from seceding from the rest of the United States under the influence of foreign powers to undermine the US’s sovereignty. I’m sure you could find more than a few deep red counties in the United States already that would take you up on an offer of secession, especially if you packaged it as a revival of the confederacy. I apologize if I was unclear but that does not merit giving me a six hour probation over a simple disagreement.

The Texas Nationalist Movement is a political party that operates openly in the US despite being funded by the Russians. Nobody is arresting them or their leaders. I don't think anyone here is willing to start a war to prevent red states from voting to split off, polls show half of americans from both parties would be fine with a peaceful separation.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Gort posted:

Is there any movement towards getting rid of The Pledge? (realise this is a bit off-topic for the China thread)

Does China have an equivalent?

There's been legal challenges to remove the words "under God" from the US pledge, but they all get dismissed as legally moot because the supreme court had already ruled that schools cannot force students to say the pledge. It's still some creepy poo poo, but fortunately disrespecting the flag doesn't come with the threat of arrest as is now the case in Hong Kong.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

thatfatkid posted:

Oh wow anecdotal evidence without proof being passed off as justification for blatant racism, that ain't convincing dude.

How many witness accounts and successfully-prosecuted cases would be sufficient as proof?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
And also, this is the China thread. Talking about Chinese espionage does not imply that no other governments do the same thing.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

The Pentagon regularly releases "Our Enemies are becoming stronger (so you should increase our funding)" reports (which are then broadcast by the media as if they're some sort of incontestable primary source).

That article is basically a good example of the sort of article that is completely irrelevant and shouldn't be taken seriously - it literally just cites a Pentagon report. There's also no reason to cite the article (which just echos the report) instead of the report itself*. Though there's not really any reason anyone should care about China making nuclear weapons to begin with (and it's almost comical for the US DoD to be the one reporting on it).

(Also lmao at how the Pentagon report contains literally 9 pages of acronym definitions)

* https://media.defense.gov/2021/Nov/03/2002885874/-1/-1/0/2021-CMPR-FINAL.PDF

The DoD being the one to regularly issue reports on other countries nuclear capabilities is both completely expected, and "comical"?

Also there's no reason anyone should care about China increasing their nuclear arsenal, because it's normal and expected. But if they are then the US government is fabricating the reports.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Pobrecito posted:

How many times has Iran been declared weeks away from developing nuclear weapons? I’ve lost count.

I imagine it's a lot harder to predict whether a country could make a nuclear warhead, compared to simply tallying the number of new silo constructions in a country that already has a bunch of warheads

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Also for some unknowable reason, in 2017 Xinjiang accounted for 20% of all arrests in China despite containing just 1.5% of the population.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Huh so those silos weren't wind/solar farms after all.

That was the weirdest deflection of all. There is obviously a wind farm to the east of the suspected silos, and they don't look alike.

Orange Devil posted:

Then later some attempts at actual evidence started showing up in the papers, rather than just treating the absence of evidence plus secrecy as evidence of their own. Except it was coming primarily from the US government and Adrian Zenz. So much loving poo poo leads back to Zenz, who is obviously and clearly loving insane and very likely lying about everything. I legitimately can not understand how anyone can post anything as a source that is in any way linked to that man, or indeed an organization as insane as the "Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation" about a crime as serious as genocide with a straight face. eSports Chaebol posted shahit.biz for example, where I can go to "Victims --> Primary Evidence" and see "Zenz cache" making up a significant chunk of the evidence being presented. I genuinely ask how I am to take seriously the rest of what is being presented to me side by side with obvious horseshit?

Every time people complain about Zenz as a source, it always goes back to the same character attacks. If he's obviously lying then it should be easy to debunk his work, but his papers pretty heavily cite Chinese government documents and public reports. Are those reports fake? Were they mistranslated? I wouldn't put it past an evangelical neocon to manufacture consent, but nobody's been able to spot anything manufactured on his part.

The only actual error I've seen was a mislabeled x-axis in one of his graphs, which someone pointed out to him on twitter and he immediately corrected.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

lightrook posted:

If I hypothetically had to persuade someone deep in the Kool-aid, what do you think would be the most compelling evidence from the most reliable (i.e. official Chinese state) sources? As in, what's an example of an official public report that would strongly imply something something bad and abnormal is happening in Xinjiang?

To be clear, I'm not trying to be difficult or confrontational or "just asking questions" or anything, I just want to develop a better understanding of the topic.

The Chinese state resources that Zenz cites haven't been directly disputed. The CCP has also published multiple white papers admitting that they are extrajudicially detaining a huge number of Uyghurs for exhibiting "extremist behavior". These behaviors are incredibly broadly defined by Chinese law and include benign islamic practices such as "spreading religious fanaticism through irregular beards or name selection".

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiberalChinese/comments/nxg01o/only_using_the_public_official_chinese_documents/

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Red and Black posted:

This is literally the same mindset that led everyone to think Jack Ma had been "disappeared" when he was just laying low after his company got slapped with anti-trust action. Even when he made an appearance on video chat many conspiracy theorists insisted he was giving the call from jail. Later public appearances put it to rest except for the true die hard conspiracists. The same thing with actress Fan Bingbing, who was also supposed to have been "disappeared" by the Chinese state. It was later confirmed by her manager that she was never arrested.

So here we are again. Apparently if a Chinese person doesn't post online every single day the only logical possibility is that they have been kidnapped by the state. And even if she does post to tell everyone she's alright, that's actually just further proof that she's in trouble.

Why would Jack Ma intentionally tank his company's value by voluntarily laying low, in such a way as to drive speculation that he was under legal detention? Fan Bingbing had also directly told her production company that she was placed under residential surveillance. She was detained by plainclothes police and forced to stay incommunicado at a resort in Jiangsu. ('Residential surveliance' was legalized in 2012 as a means to detain people without charge for up to 6 months while denying them access to lawyers or family members as long as they are "endangering state security or committing corruption")

The Chinese state media also announced that she was under detention, but took down their report after just a few hours.

Then there was Ai Weiwei, who was detained for 81 days in 2011 without charge.

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 21, 2021

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like what? Send her friends a photo privately where she’s messing around with a cat?

Maybe she could talk to her family, coworkers, fans, or the WTA? Or post from her own social media accounts? We have no idea who took the photos/video or how they only wound up in the hands of the Chinese state media. Other than the fact that they obtained it from a freshly-made duplicate WeChat account made for the sole purpose of passing along proof of life photos:

https://twitter.com/taromilkcake/status/1461735374028513290

Either she's under government detention, or she randomly decided to go radio silent and retract her accusation in such a way as to give her family and fans the impression that she's under government detention. Coincidentally, she made the decision at the same time the CCP scrubbed all online conversations about her accusation.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Who is reito 🦋 1218公投四個不同意 and why should we listen to them more than any Qanon saying jfk jr is going to kill mike pence?

I'm seeing the same info posted in other Chinese-language forums.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_irl/...D%AD%E5%B8%A52/

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_irl/comments/qxixt2/%E5%BD%AD%E5%B8%85%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E5%8F%91%E5%B8%83%E7%94%9F%E6%B4%BB%E7%85%A7/

Anyone want to look up the weChat account then? The name is "彭帅2"

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Well then Peng obviously deleted her own burner account because she is obviously not under any legal duress.

It might seem strange that they bothered to blur our the date printed on the door, but fortunately they remembered to blurt out the dates, as one does at dinner in a state-owned restaurant:

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1462077244243804170

https://twitter.com/6699xundaozhe/status/1462135384478044168

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is a difference between government bullying and pressure and weird fantasy “Hillary Clinton is in prison, what we saw was a duplicate clone” Style weird rear end stories about what people think China is like. She is both probably not having a great time right now and also not being held in a lake or having her cat be part of some government staged photo

No one here is speculating that she's in a literal gulag. Fan Bingbing was detained for 3 months in a resort, over what should have been a straightforward case of tax dodging. But the CCP detained her and ordered the media to squelch the story because they're inept and insanely paranoid about image management that they can't let high-profile legal cases play out in the public sphere of consciousness, unless they themselves kick it off.

Mirello posted:

lol, like people in this thread have no idea how common "dissent" is in china. I live in bj and hear and talk about how incompetent the local government is all the time. nobody's scared of "reeducation camps" the worst thing that might happen is you'd get a call from the censors saying to take something down (which is what I think happened to peng). My wife is a big keyboard warrior, always fighting in the comments about women's rights, discrimination against foreigners, animal rights. she's never been censored or anything like that.

You realize neither you or your wife are international celebrities with massive social media followings, right? Do you think that might make a difference in whether the CCP sees you as a threat to power?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Mirello posted:

rofl, this has to be some of the funniest poo poo that I've seen. I know in the west the concept of a rich person / celebrity actually being punished for their crimes is insane, but it's actually a feature of good government. I wannna frame this post. you know in america (land of the free) people are sent to prisons like rikers, for months and sometimes years before they've ever been declared guilty in a court of law? luckily though, rich people can just pay bail, or if their lawyers are good enough, never go through the process at all. I'm happy that in CHina the rule of law applies even to rich people and celebrities, something that is obviously not true in America.

in before this post is quoted and I'm probated for "whataboutism". yes I'm comparing america and China. I live in china (and have for many years) and I'm american. I assume most posters in this thread are american. this is how we discuss ethics, by comparing different situations. if china is a totalitarian dictatorship because they "detain" or "dissapear" people, then it shouldnt be singled out if america does it too. especially since america is the one (internationally) doing the singling out.

Do....you think it's rare for Hollywood celebrities to get charged for tax evasion? Because it's not, there's just no weird performance art of making them disappear and squelching all news reports about it. Making Willy Nelson or Martha Stewart vanish for several months would probably get them a lot of attention and sympathy they otherwise wouldn't deserve! But yes, thank goodness Chinese rich people can be denied legal council in accordance with chinese law, that really helps ease any concern that they aren't just moving to enrich other billionaires with tighter party connections.

And again, China is being "singled out" because this is the China thread for talking about things happening in China.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Android Blues posted:

Separately, yes. On other occasions people were confusing them with the Peng case. You can see this by looking back about...ten, fifteen posts?

Posters referring to Peng as Fan is further back in the thread but also happened.

Are you referring to me? I explicitly referred to the Fan Bingbing incident as a separate one because another poster was denying the government ever detained her. Fan herself and the Chinese state media both admitted to her detention shortly before the CCP realized it was a bad look and scrubbed it.

Ironically if Fan was charged with tax dodging normally and publicly it would have barely gotten a mention in western media.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CaptainACAB posted:

She's gone so silent she is making long scheduled appearances and is posting on Weibo with location enabled.

Have any of you ever considered that maybe this lady just wants to be left the gently caress alone, or does she not actually matter beyond using her as a prop in your little fantasies?

Do you really think posting a detailed public accusation of rape against a high-ranking CCP official, to an audience of half a million followers, is the action of someone that doesn't want to publicly discuss it?

Or that she randomly and coincidentally changed her mind, unprovoked, at the exact same time the government censored her and all discussion of the matter? Or the Peng would be willing to scare the hell out of her fans and coworkers by vanishing in such a way as to give everyone the impression of being put under residential surveillance?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CaptainACAB posted:

Or, the third option, which is that you have zero understanding of how China's legal system works and so do not understand that they have had laws against media influencing investigations since before Peng was born, and therefore they can't talk about it until the investigation is concluded.

This option, by the way, is the correct one.

Sure, fill me in. Is Peng's retraction the result of China's legal system in action? Is an investigation underway into the rape itself? I find it hard to believe that it's illegal for Chinese media to report on or discuss investigations before they're concluded. Since uh, they seem to do it all the time. I assume you don't need me to google examples of "Government launches investigation into X" headlines from the state media.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

mawarannahr posted:

That’s about the same as Japan’s. What does that say about Japan’s legal system?

Japan's legal system is lovely, albeit for vastly different reasons. Prosecutors are extremely reluctant to ever have a loss on their records, which is why they rarely prosecute crimes without getting a confession. The end result is them dropping most cases that come across their desk.

Denying legal council, having closed door trials, or arresting journalists for reporting on cases isn't really the issue.

A big flaming stink posted:

For 2012, the US Department of Justice reported a 93% conviction rate.

Federal governments overwhelmingly win cases they pursue in court.

And only about 10% of US criminal cases are handled by those federal courts. In state and local courts, conviction rates range from 60-80% depending on the crime and locality. Excellent cherry-picking though, it's a shame I've seen CCP apologists do it before

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CaptainACAB posted:

People are throwing around a lot of numbers which usually I would question their source, however in this case it doesn't matter much given as there is still absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Peng is being detained, surveiled or harmed by the Chinese state.

It doesn't matter though, if you're an enemy of the US, we can and will just make up whatever wild stories we like and the press will just accept them, as we have seen time and time again.

I would ask people to post actual evidence of their wild assertions but since there is none, it's kind of pointless.

But there's a ton of evidence, in which Peng being under government detention is the only rational explanation.

Either that or that she randomly and coincidentally changed her mind, unprovoked, at the exact same time the government censored her and all discussion of the matter. And that Peng would be willing to scare the hell out of her fans and coworkers by vanishing in such a way as to give everyone the impression of being put under residential surveillance. Does this seem like a plausible scenario to you? I asked earlier but didn't get a response

Also the government has widely censored all discussion of her accusation and the crime, which is pretty harmful! Do you disagree?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CaptainACAB posted:

No there's evidence she deleted a post, which she did. Had you read the post you might understand that there are reasons she'd want to do that beyond some MSS Boogeyman.

The rest is entirely your speculation. It's as verifiable as saying she was abducted by aliens.

What are the reasons she'd want to do that? You can't seriously argue that she was unaware of how much attention her post would get.

Also it's not really a "boogeyman" when we've seen the CCP do this exact playbook before, and we might not have seen signs of life from her for months without the WTA and UN stepping up.

CaptainACAB posted:

That's just the most benign example, too. Before that it was bounties in Afghanistan, and before that they were saying Iran was supporting ISIS. Go back far enough and you will find the same people saying Saddam had WMDs and helped bin Laden.

At least they had to try for that one. This time they're not even putting in the effort of blanking out the media so they're insisting Peng is dead at the same time she is appearing, very much alive.

Regardlessly, the level of evidence is the same. It's nothing. No smoking gun, because there isn't even a loving gun in the first place.

Holy cow, why do I hear about "Iraq WMDs" literally every time China is caught doing a human rights abuse? Literally no one, not even the most hardcore defense industry shills are suggesting invading China. Not over their WMDs, not over some oppressed Uyghurs, especially not over a rape case. It's a massive nuclear-armed state. Can you fathom any form of accountability besides a US invasion? Or is this a binary choice between covering up a rape and killing hundreds of thousands of civilians?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CaptainACAB posted:

Yes I can imagine the CPC investigating this and taking action, as they should do.

I cannot, however, imagine any accountability for the monsters in our government who have provably and routinely lied about both other nations and also their own, resulting in millions dead, of which the current president and his administration is one of the most glaring examples. I can't imagine any accountability for then because i have not only seen them get away with it over and over again, but people like you STILL believe them.

Again, you seem to think that the US administration has been the source of any info in the Peng case. They haven't, and nobody here is taking them at face value either.

Still, you're comparing too vastly different crimes and situations. I've had tankies on twitter calling hypocrisy on the western media for not reporting more on the accusations against Cuomo and Prince Andrew, which is a far better parallel. Even though...they have reported it. Their victims haven't been censored, they've gotten far more coverage, and the charges against those men are moving through the public courts.

Also lol at your post in the other thread calling the entire Japanese race untrustworthy and comparing half-black tennis pro Naomi Osaka to David Duke for daring to being one of the first to speak up for her friend:

CaptainACAB posted:

Convincing honkies that they're harmless and trustworthy is probably the greatest trick the insane fascists in the Japanese state ever pulled.

You might want to look up what the Japanese think about china before you post this sort of poo poo. I trust them to be about as impartial as I would David Duke commenting on BLM.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CaptainACAB posted:

Do you have to brag in both forums about how little you know about the Japanese state and Japanese press?

Tell me, can you tell me what Shinzo Abe's grandfather did? Who put him into power? Can you tell me about Nippon Kaigi? Can you tell me who owns the major Japanese press organizations, and who founded them? Furthermore, can you fill me in on what said founders were doing from 1937 to 1945? How about in the post war period?

No?

Then kindly shut the gently caress up.

I assume you're describing a bunch of war criminals, but first you'd have to tell me how any of that is related. Are japanese war criminals controlling every press outlet and Naomi Osaka from the grave? Or are we disregarding an entire country due to their cursed bloodline?

Also, can you name any countries that weren't carrying out some sort of human rights atrocity between 1937 and 1945? Surely there must be one reliable press outlet in them somewhere

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

How does any of this have any bearing on Naomi Osaka's trustworthiness?

Naomi Osaka is obviously on the side of the Japanese xenophobes that regularly send her death threats for daring to represent Japan and wishes for nothing more than to instigate the next great Chinese genocide by demanding proof of life from a personal friend of hers.

CaptainACAB posted:

I don't give a gently caress what Naomi Osaka has to say on anything really.

I do, however, care when people think the Japanese press, much of which was founded by actual convicted war criminals who carried out a genocide in China that rivals the Holocaust in scope and scale, and are part of a state apparatus which aggressively censors any discussion of said war crimes in service to an explicitly revanchist and revisionist clique which has ruled Japan since the war ended, can be considered in any way reliable on China.

"Much"? So you acknowledge that not every Japanese press outlet is tied to some sort of war criminal? Or is there some reason we can disregard those too? I'm really just going down the list to find one that isn't 5 degrees of separation from A Government

CaptainACAB posted:

Ok this is a very verbose way to tell me you know nothing about the Japanese state, the Japanese press, the intersections between the two and the proven links between both and American intelligence. gently caress, you don't even seem to understand that the Japanese are racist as gently caress in general, but against the Chinese in particular!

But sure keep digging kiddo.

Well yes, I directly asked you to tell me how they're related, but you seem keen on dismissing an entire ethnicity as incapable of journalism, so I don't think there's much discussion to be had here.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CaptainACAB posted:

When you run an organization that alternates between denying the genocide your (actual, literal) fathers carried out and apologizing for it, and that counts most of Japan's ruling class (and the owbers of almost all it's press) as members , then yes, absolutely.

As it so happens, Shinzo Abe did exactly that very thing! And his successor does the same, as did both their predecessors. They don't even try to hide it and their membership in Nippon Kiagi is public knowledge.

But please yes tell me how these people are unbiased and reliable sources on China, the people they still publicly regret not exterminating.

And every Japanese press outlet that reported on the Peng story is wholly-owned by a member of Nippon Kaigi. Is that where we're going with this?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CaptainACAB posted:

The two largest newspapers in the world are both Japanese and both pro LDP and the official stance of the LDP is that either Japan did nothing wrong or that Japan did one thing wrong, and that one thing was not exterminating all Chinese people.

Both of which, by the way, are part of gigantic media conglomerates that run virtually all the Japanese media.

This is pretty simple poo poo here.

Alright, so we shifted goalposts from all Japanese media outlets being owned by Nippon Kaigi members, to the two largest newspapers being pro-LDP. Which is Japan's biggest political party and includes members that have denied past war crimes, but also several members, prime ministers, and foreign ministers that have explicitly acknowledged and apologized for those war crimes. It doesn't seem as simple as you're making it out to be.

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 22, 2021

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Ok sorry

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Red and Black posted:

Well over 90% of prosecutions in the United States, both federal and state end in plea deals where the prosecutor simply coerces the defendant into accepting the charges rather than having a trial. Of the few who actually go to trail, that's where you get your 60-80%.

That "coercion" usually takes the form of their own lawyers telling them if going to trial will result in a guilty verdict, which is kind of their job. Ideally you wouldn't want prosecutors filing charges anyway without evidence being heavily on their side.

Red and Black posted:

So at the federal level, depending on how many of the remaining 3% are convicted, could easily be higher than 99%. Same for state level convictions. In any case, it's pretty funny that you think the US's moral superiority is proven by a percentage or two. I'm sure the black kid about to be sent to jail for stealing a pencil feels so much better knowing he only has a 99% chance of going to jail rather than 99.9%

Who is getting charged on the federal level for stealing a pencil? You're kind of undermining your point when you have to exclude 90% of cases to make conviction rates get within spitting distance. "Defendants rarely opt to exercise their right to be judged by a jury of their peers" is a pretty poor justification for axing the whole system

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Red and Black posted:

Holy poo poo dude, Imagine putting coercion in quotes with respect the US system of plea deals. Yes, their own lawyers generally tell their clients to take the plea deal, because taking a case to court will lead to an increase in punishment vs a plea deal and public defenders only have the time to take a minuscule fraction of cases to court. They are by design unable to protect their clients rights.

Are you illiterate? Go back and re-read what I wrote. I was never talking exclusively about federal level cases, coercive plea bargain deals happen on all levels of the US legal system.

But thank you for making it absolutely clear that you stan a system which has unjustly incarcerated millions of people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I can't tell if you're arguing against the very concept of plea bargaining in criminal law, but most countries have those as part of their legal systems now. Including China. Like any legal tool it's open to be abused by bad actors. But the abolition of plea bargaining results in prosecutors that don't have the legal authority to drop or reduce charges, especially in civil law countries (like China). Or the ugly scenario of sexual assault survivors being required to give traumatic testimony at trial even though the rapist confessed. So again, the fact that most defendants wave their right to a public trial is a terrible justification for abolishing that right.

Your other point about public defenders being underfunded and understaffed is one that I and everyone else here heavily agrees with, so there's no argument to be had. But this is the China thread, where we talk about defense attorney that get disbarred and jailed for the crime of "subverting state power" and "picking quarrels" if they win more than 3 cases or represent high-profile defendants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Doesn't the hukou system make home ownership a necessity to get married anyway? I imagine gatekeeping a bunch of government services (including access to public schools) to local property owners would boost home ownership rates overnight.