Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Does anyone know a log app that's compatible with an aqualung i300c and lets you export the data to a csv or similar file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I'm taking my advanced open water course this week. It started at six people. Four dropped out after the gear checkout pool session on Friday night because their rental drysuits were leaking; I watched one guy pour two quarts out of a boot. Yesterday the one guy in a wetsuit dropped out because he was feeling sick, couldn't manage buoyancy and felt like he couldn't breathe underwater. So today I got two dives private instruction, and tomorrow we go out for two more after work.

Cold water diving is rad.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Yesterday we had a harbor seal follow us throughout a night dive, it got brave at one point and hung out within 10 ft for a few minutes :3:

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I went out for a night dive last night with some friends. We had two harbor seals show up and hunt by our lights. It was very, very cool and the seals didn't mind getting close to us at all. In retrospect I feel like helping the seals hunt was a little over my "don't touch the nature" line but it was an interesting experience. There were a bunch of people fishing for squid off of a pier nearby, but we didn't get to see any in the water - I guess the squid stay too far up in the water column at night.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I found my first giant pacific octopus today! Vis was pretty bad so I didn't see it until we were pretty close. It was monstrous :cthulhu:

Only a few feet away, in another cavity of the same rock pile, a great big lingcod was guarding its egg cluster.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

MrYenko posted:

If you’ve never used a wing, try it. You won’t wanna go back.

What should I know before buying a bp/w? I mostly dive dry suit in cold water with 32lbs of weight, my biggest concern is getting that much onto a bp/w harness. A steel plate and STA doesn't get me past 10lb.

Most companies that sell bp/w setups have a stripped-down single 2" webbing harness and another model with more padding, buckles, and cinches:
exhibit a
exhibit b

Do you have a recommendation between the two styles?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I've been shore diving locally. Boats aren't running around here but there are a bunch of dive sites that don't need them. Shops are running classes which seems pretty irresponsible.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Does anybody here have a dry glove setup they would recommend? My partner and I have been using the SI Tech glove lock system on a friend's recommendation, but all 3 of us have been getting leaks and have had to deal with stuck-on gloves at some point.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I went for a dive this morning and we found over a dozen red octos between 80 ft and 40 ft in the daytime. Normally we don’t see them during the day, they’re usually deeper, and finding two or three on a night dive would feel really special. Today was something else.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
… and today a young wolf eel swam out from its home and decided it wanted to wrap itself around my partner’s first stage. It took a couple minutes for us to convince it to leave.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I'm thinking about doing tech training. Any advice on how to pick a shop to do the training with, and which orgs I should look at? I went with a local PADI shop for open water and advanced, the quality and organization was pretty poo poo and I don't want to use them again. I have one or two contacts in the local dive community that I'm going to ask for recommendations, but that's not a lot to go on.

I'm leaning away from GUE because I don't want to switch out gear that I like and I'm used to (a plastic buckle, oh no!).

Any specific recommendations near Seattle or Vancouver would be greatly appreciated, I'd prefer to train in the cold, murky conditions I do most of my diving in.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Went for a dive this afternoon. Winter diving around here is normally quite cold but it’s been close to or just below freezing for the last week, which is very unusual. Bottom temp was ~20 degrees above the air temp at the surface.

Vis was pretty bad and there wasn’t much to see, but we did find two giant pacific octopus
:cthulhu:

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I dump the gear I use regularly into a rubbermaid tub and keep anything that doesn't come out on every dive in a separate bag.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
those caves look very cool and also terrifying

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I’m doing tech training today and tomorrow, and halfway into our second dive a sixgill shark came up to check us out. Totally derailed the skill practice, even the instructor was flipping out.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

This is pretty common, but from what I’ve seen it tends to be more of an issue in pool sessions*. Once you’re out into the open water with good visibility, it’s less of an issue (partly because it’s open water and therefore more…open :v:, partly because you’ll be :swoon: at all the pretty fishies swimming around :unsmith: )

*you’ll do some training in a pool before going to your actual dive training site. Idk how much you’ve looked into classes, but thought this would be worth mentioning.

e: I’ve barely been underwater since Covid started, but I’m at an aquarium a few days a week where the fish are constantly judging us.

“What are you looking at, mammal?”

Are you in the dry or wet part of the aquarium?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Edmonds is great, but it’s a lot closer to Seattle than Canada.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I did my training around Seattle during the summer in a 7mm john and jacket style wetsuit, it's tolerable if you can handle being cold*. The dives in my open water class were really short and shallow, only one dive went over 30 minutes or deeper than 30 ft. With that short of an exposure to the relatively warmer shallow waters, it was easy to warm up between dives with a good jacket and a thermos full of coffee.

Summer diving isn't the most fun because algae blooms in the shallows reduce vis, but the vis in your open water class is going to be terrible anyway with you and the other students kicking up the bottom.

Both of the groups you describe in your post sound off to me. The shop telling you that you HAVE to buy a custom dry suit before your first class is trying to rip you off. Wait for warmer sunny weather, take your classes with rental gear, and find out how much you really like local diving before you commit to buying a drysuit. The other group also sounds weird because once you have a drysuit you're going to use that thing all the time, it's much more convenient and comfortable. In the sound, the difference between summer and winter bottom temps is only 10 degrees! I don't know anyone who has a drysuit who doesn't use it year round; I would only use a wetsuit if I were traveling to warm water.

* If you can't handle being cold, diving in the PNW probably isn't for you. Even using a drysuit in August, you're going to be happy to get out after 45 minutes in the 56 degree water.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
When I was in Bonaire, we saw a good mix of big and little stuff, I think you'll be fine either way you choose. I personally enjoyed the small stuff more.

Nudis weren't easy to find, we only saw one proper nudi in 10 days. Lettuce leaf slugs were pretty common. This little guy is about 1" long

It took us a few days to learn how to find mantis shrimp, but then we'd see one or two per day

For bigger stuff, there were reef squid, turtles, rays, a couple kinds of octopus at night, eels, a few of lobster, :argh: loving tarpon :argh:, drums, lion fish, lots of stuff to shoot if you don't want to bother with the other case.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Taking a look at computers again. I like the i200c, mostly because it's affordable and has a freedive mode. Only drawback I can see from reviews is the logbook is small and the interrface can be confusing. Anybody have this watch? Or another rec for a beginner diver?

I used an i300C when I started diving, it was fine. To get around the limited log on the computer, I linked it to an app on my phone (it had no trouble with "Dive Log" or "DiverLog+" on iOS). The only downside to it that I encountered was that the wrist-mount and console i300s have slightly different shapes. I bought a console mount computer because I didn't know any better; a year later I found out that it wouldn't work with an i300 wrist strap. If I had originally bought a wrist-mount i300 I'd probably still be using it.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Found some hooded nudibranch today, they’re the best. So weird.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I found a giant nudibranch on Friday, they are so weird and large. Didn't get a chance to see it pounce on an anemone, unfortunately

a google images photo similar to the one we saw, I am not a camera diver:

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
using a dry suit will be great for your bouyancy and trim control. less so for your wallet.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

MMania posted:

About to pull the trigger on a Shearwater Peregrine: I have 47-year old eyes, the rumble will let me ignore other divers' beeping, and wireless charging sound great. I'm never going to do anything technical and hate wearing watches so I don't think any of the more expensive computers would be an upgrade. Anyone have particularly good/bad experiences with either Shearwater or this particular computer?

And I have never taken a single picture in hundreds of dives, I just don't get it (I don't take pictures on land either).

I have a perdix, it’s great. The shearwater app is fine.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Kesper North posted:

I want a drysuit so I can dive in my local (Seattle-area) waters. I am also very very fat. Any advice on drysuit brands for plus-sized people?

(I have been drysuit certified for a decade plus, just never actually owned one before.)

I’m sure you already know this, but just in case…

Underwater Sports on Aurora has their big sale coming up in July, usually DUI and Apollo reps are there. The DUI rep does measurements for custom suits - I would recommend custom even if you didn’t have the plus sized concern.

Eight diving in Des Moines carries Santi suits. They’re a GUE shop but they’ve been helpful any time I’ve gone there to get a fill.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I got to see a couple whale sharks the other day it’s been a pretty good week.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

ploots posted:

I got to see a couple whale sharks the other day it’s been a pretty good week.

There was a guy on the boat who was clearly unprepared. Over the course of the week he tried every item on the menu of equipment problems: tank slipped out, lost a weight belt, mask outside of his hood, could never get his gloves on, unraveled his SMB and spool a couple of times. He complained about his rental computer a bit. One of his friends took a look at it on the third day - he'd put it in gauge mode and not realized :psyboom:

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
TDI materials are also bad, for what it’s worth.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
in my experience, AOW was a refresher of the stuff you should have picked up in OW, and PADI specialties are a way to extract money from people who like to collect merit badges. If you don't need a refresher, the only value of AOW is checking a box: it's often a requirement for liveaboards.

Nitrox is the only useful non-tech training I've come across.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

MrMojok posted:

Or have any interesting shark stories?

A 4-5 ft sixgill visited while we were doing drills at 65 ft during a class. It circled us twice within arm's reach, very slow and calm, then swam off into the gloom. It came back for a second look a moment later, did another lap, then left.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I like it better :shrug:

The easier diving and larger proportion of vacation-only divers in tropical destinations means that I see a lot more egregiously bad divers and stupid risky poo poo in a warm water destination than cold water ones.

I dive for the life. Being able to tolerate cold water means that the world I can explore underwater is larger than if I could not.

What are cold water places you’ve enjoyed?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If you're ever in northern California hmu and I'll show you some kelp critters.

Is there good shore diving around Monterey or is it primarily boat based? I have some vague plans to dive there in the fall, might reach out for tips if the plans solidify.

MrNemo posted:

Dry suits are also fairly flexible on temperature ranges and I'd prefer to be diving in the Med with my dry suit than a wetsuit outside of the height of summer.

Went on a liveaboard trip a month ago with anticipated water temps of 60-70F, packed our drysuits expecting to be :smug: as hell. First half of the trip had water temps over 80F. We used them without any insulation and it was fine once we were in the water, though the mid-day zodiac rides were grim.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Spreadsheeted out the cost of buying doubles. really glad I looked into an underwater camera setup earlier this week to set a thoroughly unreasonable reference point.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
When I found this little buddy, they were tented up around something - I thought they were a round rock at first. I spooked them as I was setting up my camera, thankfully they came back for their snacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eJxF-tpl_4

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Kesper North posted:

I hate drysuits only slightly less

I had the delightful experience of my first major pee valve leak last night. Not a problem with the plumbing, the valve had come unscrewed a bit and started letting water in when I got to ~20 ft.

Dive was good after we got that sorted, saw five kinds of nudibranch and six octopus

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I was out at one of my regular spots this evening, swimming along at ~60 ft or so when in the distant gloom I see what might be a white bucket? but there isn't usually a bucket in this spot...

I go over to check it out, it is indeed a white 5 gallon bucket with a couple of holes cut into its sides. It's packed tight with HUGE dungeness crabs. I popped the top and they seethe out, exactly as pissed as you would imagine. No good deed goes unpunished though: the bucket was slightly buoyant and its handle was missing, I had to awkwardly carry it around for 20 minutes until I got back to the entry and through my deco stop. 5/5 dive overall, vis was good and a couple of very curious dogfish came quite close.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

ploots posted:

freedom for crabs

karmic balance has been restored. This morning I couldn't get a parking spot within two blocks of the first dive site I went to. Or the second. But at the THIRD there was plenty of parking. A couple of people had finished their dives when I got there, but thankfully the didn't kick up the bottom too bad. And all the delay driving around meant my timing was just right to meet up with a little baby sixgill shark. They spent two minutes curiously circling me before swimming off.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
My partner and I each went through a floaty feet phase in the first year we had drysuits. In the end it was user error, not something that could be solved by gear. They tried ankle weights, which were good enough to get by but didn't solve the problem in a meaningful way. We were putting too much air in our suits, so any amount of ascent meant a LOT of gas expansion which meant a LOT of floatiness. My approach now is to only put air in the suit when I feel a bit of squeeze. I find that keeps the balloon suit in check.

It's probably mostly down to familiarity - keep using the suit and you'll figure it out, there are a bunch of little tricks you'll discover. It's easy to miss a bit of floatiness if you're kicking constantly. Straighten your legs and push your feet down a couple of times during the ascent to move the air out, etc etc.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
It took 27 dives at the site where I'd heard you could find them, but I finally saw a stubby squid. sorry about the fuzzy shot, it's impossible to tell focus from a tiny gopro screen

the image is larger than life size :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I have a perdix 2 and I really like it. Easy to swap the battery, nice big color screen, configurable if you like that sort of thing and good defaults if you don't. Getting around their menus with 2 buttons isn't too bad. The shearwater dive log app is fine.