Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Xen and Bhyve spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woof Blitzer posted:

Is it possible for virtualbox and hyper-v to talk to each other?

Hypothetically yes, might be able to bridge the Virtual Switches/Network Adapters or even put Virtualbox on the Hyper-V Virtual Switch.

I've done it before, but it was several years ago. Might try tonight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woof Blitzer posted:

Success! The host received a DHCP reservation. So it turns out Hyper-V and Virtualbox can coexist which is great as all the boxes I downloaded from VulnHub are .ova format.

Another option is to convert the VMDK to VHDs and they should be bootable from HyperV directly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woof Blitzer posted:

I thought the Microsoft conversion tool was retired?

Yeah cause they moved it to build into the fabric:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/vmm/vm-convert-vmware?view=sc-vmm-2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

A while ago I was trying to use Virtualbox and I was getting weird errors that eventually tracked back to the fact that I'd installed HyperV at one point, wanting to give it a try. Apparently HyperV is always running and if you have HyperV installed then it hogs the VT-d hooks so no other VM implementation is allowed to use them.

Wasn't Microsoft looking at using HyperV sandboxes by default for windows applications at some point? Not sure how that is supposed to work with other VM servers going.

My understanding is that nested VT-d ("VMs inside VMs") actually does work properly so maybe the solution is to have Virtualbox register itself as a VM inside HyperV if it sees that HyperV is already installed. That seems like the "abstraction framework" we're seeking imo.

HyperV is actively used for sandboxing apps in some cases right now, and Microsoft has said they are going to use HyperV to do security features more in the future.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Got my hands on some more RAM for my Xenserver cluster!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Esxi seems like it's pushing away hobbyists and homelab users more and more lately

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SlowBloke posted:

ESXi has stopped being hobbist friendly at 5.5, everything else has been a race to gently caress up non standard setups. With William Lam using nucs as test beds, those are your best bet if you want to homelab, making your own server is currently an exercise in frustration IMHO.

Just use XCP-NG or Proxmox.

And no, Nucs are very expensive, just purchase Dell/HP USFF machines for half the cost and upgrade them.

As it is, I'll stick with XCP-NG, they haven't cut legacy support and are unlikely to do so, and work happily on my Dell Bladeservers with Opterons and Xeons. You can get out the door with a Dell R720 for the same price as a Nuc.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 19, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

rufius posted:

Alternatively, the little NUC I bought (https://simplynuc.com/ruby/) sips power.

I'm not saying you should equivalence class them, but there are benefits especially in the realm of power:performance.

If electricity is cheap where you are, then never mind.

Okay that's Ryzen powered so I do want that. drat you, rufius.
For perspective: My current workstation is a Asus ROG laptop with a Ryzen 7 4800H 8c/16t and I use it mostly for virtualization when I'm not playing games.

Looks like its got both SODIMM slots available too, so yeah you should be able to crap 64GB of DDR4 into that too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Clark Nova posted:

II'm pretty sure people are passing on these due to noise and power consumption. I've been waiting a while for a really good deal on something tiny with two NICs or a PCIE slot with no luck :argh:

The Ivy Bridge runs actually consume not much for a 1U/2U, I have one that idled at about 300 watts.

rufius posted:

Also - because I'm a heretic, it runs Windows Server because I prefer Hyper-V (I worked at MSFT for a long time - I'm used to Hyper-V).

I use HyperV on my workstation because it just works and I don't really have to install anything. Works great.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Agreed. My R620 with idle VMs, six spinning 10k disks, two 20-threaded E5-2660 Xeons, 128 gigs of ram, six or eight spinning 10k 2.5” drives and it is currently idling at 168W. I’m pretty sure I have it in ultra conservative power usage mode but it’s never felt slow or lacking. My workloads are all idle right now so I’m sure it bounces up but I’ll take that 168W idle any day.

I’m wondering whether switching to SSDs would have a negligible effect on the idle wattage. Those motors have to account for a bit of that, right? :haw:

My main NAS is an R720 with 2 x 12 core Xeons and 128GB of RAM + Spinning disks and under load maybe hits ~350-400 watts.

It hosts the storage for my M1000e Bladecenter

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That's not under full load, right? I've seen my DL380p Gen8 hit over 1000W during full load using both PSUs, but that was with a GPU that I'm no longer using.

Nope, like 400 watts if I'm doing intensive IO

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

I have a Synology NAS that I run some containers on. I just really don't need a home lab these days.

Do I need to hand in my nerd card? Am I getting old?

Nah. I just have personal issues.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pikehead posted:

VMware have been flagging for at least two years that SD cards and usb flash aren't fit for booting esxi from.

From all the KBs etc I've read, they're just sick and tired of dealing with the corruption/low performance from write IO that the cards and usb devices can't handle.

Except it's a new issue. Esxi has run fine from both devices for years, something they did changed it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GrandMaster posted:

Exactly, they shouldn't need high io. The tools mount/scratch run from ramdisk and logging goes to san datastore. What else does the card need to be doing?

Also if the card is actually corrupted, it won't come back after a reboot, i feel bad for the hardware vendors that sent out probably thousands of replacements for cards that weren't even busted.

Anyways it was fine in 7.0U1, it was U2 that broke it

There was always the possibility you corrupt your SD card, in fact a lot of Hyperconverged stuff either uses Mirrored SD cards or SATADOM modules to address this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I use two of these in a mirror

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164875884280?hash=item26635e56f8:g:V2kAAOSwDFRgppEV

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

diremonk posted:

Hoping someone has an idea on an issue I'm having with one of my VMs. We took a power hit yesterday that took down my rack after the UPS ran down. I'm able to get two of my VMs up in ESXi but the third is giving an error of:

code:
Failed - An error occurred while creating temporary file for /vmfs/volumes/5bc4f406-17fa0226-2f08-c81f66ce42df/Zabbix_5_4_VM/Zabbix_5_4_VM.vmx: The file already exists

Errors
An error occurred while creating temporary file for /vmfs/volumes/5bc4f406-17fa0226-2f08-c81f66ce42df/Zabbix_5_4_VM/Zabbix_5_4_VM.vmx: The file already exists
Cannot open the configuration file /vmfs/volumes/5bc4f406-17fa0226-2f08-c81f66ce42df/Zabbix_5_4_VM/Zabbix_5_4_VM.vmx.
Failed to start the virtual machine (error -18).
I googled the error and looked at a couple of the suggestions. I've downloaded the vmx file and it looks fine, no corruption in it. I've tried un-registering the VM and re-registering it, no luck. I tried editing the

Any ideas? I'd rather not nuke this vm since I have my monitoring system on it for my broadcast systems.

Vdiskmanager might be the key to this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46193933/how-to-repair-vmx-file-corrupted-at-vmware

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Man, say what you want about Xen, but I've never had an update "break" the hypervisors or vms yet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I could tell some loving stories about XenServer breaking poo poo though, whoooo.

I mean, do share!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

barnold posted:

slightly random question for VM goons: what makes Win9x so difficult to emulate? I understand that virtualization companies largely target professional-use OSes and not consumer ones like 95/98/Me, therefore there is little incentive to provide support for it, but it seems to be the one major glaring hole in VM tech. Everything up to 3.1 seems to work great in DOSbox, everything NT4 and up works great in almost everything else. We can emulate 64 core CPUs and hundreds of gigabytes of RAM, but we can't emulate a single-core Pentium and a Rage 128 well enough to not have cursor trails all over the screen in normal use? Too much blue plate special spaghetti code?

As the above already states: Emulation and Virtualization are different. The problem with virtualizing legacy tech is not that it can't be done: It can! The problem is you are basically putting a legacy system onto a modern architecture (i.e. If you install Windows 3.1 inside a Xenserver VM on AMD Opterons, guess what hardware that machine is going to have? That's right. Windows 3.1 running on modern architecture, at modern speeds).

Emulation is neccessary because you have both be able to step down the architecture, step down the speeds to something more in line with the hardware the OS was made to live on in the first place. You gotta slow it down, and in the cases of stuff like graphics, you have to emulate older GPUs that look nothing like our modern equivalent.

Otherwise, you can run any OS made for x86 hardware on any virtualization platform.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah NFS has changed significantly, there's still some compatibility issues which keeps SMBv3 king of the roost for file shares, but NFS has significantly improved.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I do GPU passthrough with my HyperV instance on my personal laptop.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I mean Proxmox does most of that for you and is Ubuntu/Debian based.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah. K8s/K3s are great if your service is lightweight enough to be scaled that way. The average application is not.

Ask me about trying to convince Devs not to roll entire Java apps in K8s and then rolling my eyes when they didn't understand why it was so slow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

If anything, since the introduction of containers on Linux, they've grown more heavy-weight rather than light-weight:
Service jails on FreeBSD, where you have a single binary executable and its configuration file(s) in a container, have been a thing since 1999.

Yeah and K8s is just the inevitable end of Jails: What if we made an entire Jail filled with jails all controlled by a central control pane.

Also: What do you mean we have to update the images ourselves?!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Hyper V isn't already broken?

It works well enough for what it is, but its not a great replacement for ESXi or Xenserver

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SlowBloke posted:

It seems like Broadcom might be planning to purchase VMware for ~60B$. Given their previous software purchases, expect them to make it far worse than today support wise(which isn't stellar already nowadays) and kill any community outreach.

Yeah Broadcom seems to poison everything they touch. The fact that they bought Symantec which was already collapsing like a broke tent was confusing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

Didn't they buy Brocade as well and pretty much do nothing with them

RIP the SilkWorm, the finest named FC switch the world ever had.

Oh man I remember the Silkworms :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah nothing Broadcom has touched ever comes out better, almost always for the worse.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
XCP/Xenserver/KVM/Etc all sitting right there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Look, you can't make me use Xenserver again. I won't do it.

I use it. It works fairly well, just make sure your sizing is correct. Just VMs, or other workloads like SQL, Exchange, etc? Replicating to another unit? To the cloud? I ran into the fact that I can't go cluster -> cluster -> cloud, and it makes me sad.

What are you using today?

I use XCP-NG and it works like treat. :shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wibble posted:

Has anyone got experiance of Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager? :(
Is it any good? Any issues? :tinfoil:

Says all that needs to be said.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wibble posted:

Its not my money... :butt:

Why not VMWare then, or gently caress even Xenserver would be better than Oracle licensing nightmares. (Oracle Virtualization Server is basically just Xenserver with an Oracle GUI wrapped over it anyways)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah deapite the rhetoric on prem isnt anywhere near going away (much like mainframes havent gone away either)

Even the largest companies in the cloud only have ~20% of their workload in the cloud, the rest us in prem

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah makes far more sense to use Linux for that

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WSL has done wonders for Microsoft retaining people on Windows, rather than switching to something alternative.

That and familiarity and gaming.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boner Wad posted:

I have an ESX 8.0 machine that has 4x drives on a raid controller with the raid controller passthru'ed to a VM. I installed ESX onto a USB drive. I had to use an NFS mount for the VM guests. Can I put another USB drive in there and use that as my VM guest datastore? How do I do that? I think I tried to put a USB drive in before and I couldn't get it to show up as a datastore.

I mean you can do USB passthrough, is that the goal, I wouldn't try to host anything data intensive on a USB drive.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Saukkis posted:

What is everyone's view on Veeam and Russia? We are testing image backup systems and we dismissed Veeam because of the Russian origins, but maybe it is separated enough nowadays? It is owned by venture capitalist Insight Partners from New York and on the top management there seems to be only the R&D chief who might be from Russia based on the name.

Veeam largely is US based now, their HQ is in the US and they are primarily registered as a US business' entity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Broadcom has hosed everything it touches, so I suspect this will be no different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wibla posted:

They seem to get switch chips right, the rest? not so much...

Their chips are fine. Their acquisitions are not.