Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Crow posted:

Well theres always proxmox i guess :(

XCP-NG is more Enterprise rated and has enterprise support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It'd be nice if folks learned the lesson that having any one solution is the wrong way, and instead some focus on working on kvm, while others improve bhyve (found in FreeBSD and Illumos distributions, among others) while still others work on Xen.

With enough work, and someone working on interoperability, it'd be possible to have a fleet of three (or more?) hypervisor solutions, all being able to work together.

Puppet and Chef support multi-hypervisor setups and you can script it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

in a well actually posted:

Did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?

Broadcom did.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Cloud - "I don't wanna own, I wanna rent and I want a landlord is who looking to charge every cent every time I flush the toilet or turn on the lights"

Cloud has its uses, but realistically a colo with a rented VM would cost you less or running it yourself on surplus hardware.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

largely comes down to whether your business has means and appetite for infrastructure and expanded security payroll imo

In most cloud cases - Security is on you too. The Shared Responsibility model tends to leave that on your side of the fence unless you pay specifically for security through your specific cloud vendor. Seriously, having seen the absolute bullshit that Cloud Engineers and Software Devs do in the cloud - woe betide anyone not letting some sort of Security guy look over their code, app, and deployments.

"What do you mean I can't just open my resources to the interne via terraform or use up a whole /24 block with 2-3 microservices?!"

Have fun!

Potato Salad posted:

well, at least in azure's case there's a lot of extra value for cloud too. this is the virtualization thread, so we focus a lot on compute and storage infrastructure. Internal, B2B, and C2B IAM on Azure is pretty slick. having your business productivity/collaboration all in one place too is one hell of a value add for doing virt in Azure.

it's more than just a pure capital versus operational expenses and labor consideration

Yes, but in most cases it ends up being more expensive to do so in cloud versus on prem even including possible labor costs for having dedicated engineers, which in most cases you need dedicated cloud engineers to handle this stuff anyways.

And you can do the B2B and C2B IAM linked with your on prem services anyways.

I have yet to see a truly Datacenter to Cloud migration or Digital Transformation not turn into a bill that makes a colo with new hardware look less appealing. There's very few cases where even serverless and container based workloads don't slowly turn into a massive bloat that makes a monolith blush and turns into massive costs.

And yeah, hostage taking with data exfil costs is hilarious. You get locked in quick.

Cloud has very good use cases - the problem is its still very much the new shiney that every C suite tech exec has decided is the future of Datacenters and is doing lovely lift and shifts and letting Devs/Engineers pull startup 'Move fast and break thing' style digital transformations that massively increases risks to the biz.

Keep your VMs themselves out of the cloud if you can avoid it, you should focus on serverless and containers for cloud workloads unless you like big bills.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 23, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

I’m glad we’re not still running our own DCs for everything, because we would have to have a lot of hardware idle during most of the year in order to handle Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Yes, rapid scaling is where cloud shines, but not really a worthwhile reason to move everything to cloud - and again most of that stuff would be containerized or serverless loads. But even then, if you are a large enough organization that Black Friday induces that kind of load, you are likely also not one that needs a lot of external cloud providers and can likely handle the load.

And then you get the bill.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 24, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fresh_cheese posted:

IBM sez “Come back to momma…” and is waving you towards a mainframe

"By the way we're renting out the rest of it to """the cloud"""" "

SlowBloke posted:

Microsoft "vCenter" already exists, it's called System Center Virtual Machine Manager and it's absolute poo poo.

It seems like HyperV just gets worse and worse as time goes on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just make sure you go for XCP-NG and not the actual Citrix Xenserver. Save yourself the headache of 'why can't I use that feature?'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kreeblah posted:

Broadcom has officially killed free ESXi now.

Not that this is a surprise to anybody at this point, but there it is.

Welp, gonna get harder to find talent that know how to use ESXi right out the gate. Damned shame.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fresh_cheese posted:

Its all node frameworks on serverless these days. Infrastructure is irrelevant, grandpa.

Joking aside: Yeah, no its not.

And there's hypervisors underneath that poo poo too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SlowBloke posted:

VMware hasn't touched their educational license agreements, which are all subs. All of their coursework (and testing) kabuki isn't likely to go away, that's a lot of cash for minimal engineering effort.

Give em time, Broadcom has basically sabotaged everything they touch outside of their hardware.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

I have to imagine that Proxmox is salivating at the potential growth opportunity here.

Same. Or someone is going to make a KVM GUI and start muscling in. Maybe it'll motivate XCP to start improving their product too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

There will be CFOs who will insist on running workloads on whatever version of VMware your perpetual license currently entitles you to, even when the company refuses to renew the support agreement

Yup. Its gonna be fun when new CVEs pop up and nobody can patch because they are out of support.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't that Thiel?

You know these executive investment guys - they love copying each other.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fresh_cheese posted:

Is there a distinction between windows based workloads and linux based workload in terms likely options?

I feel like theres probably less options for windows based environments, but thats based on gut feel not real experience.

It just seems like you can virtualize linux a whole bunch of ways and get decent performance but not so much with windows.

Depends, but for most Hypervisors the only difference is how the base is configured for the guest OS. You can get decent performance with virtualized Windows too, enough that I've been able to do medium to heavy duty gaming on a virtualized And Windows instance with GPU passthrough on XCP-NG

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Moey posted:

Anyone have to janitor XCP-NG? Is that any more "enterprise ready" than Proxmox?

Its much more enterprise ready. Its basically Citrix Xenserver but without the licensing costs, and you can get 'pro-support' for it:
https://xcp-ng.com/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah Openshift and Openstack have a lot of promise, but the reality is K8s/Containers are not really a 1 for 1 replacement for virtualization and there's a lot of maturity issues with a lot of Cloud Native stuff like Terraform/K8s.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fresh_cheese posted:

Blade servers are back, baby

Hyperconverged time, baby!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Harry_Potato posted:

Nutanix is the last enterprise hypervisor standing. Decent support across vendors and tools and it checks the right corporate boxes. Xenserver has a lot of ground to cover before it can be taken seriously and the rest of the field is a KVM based tool but without the backing. Microsoft sells cloud and their only interest in hypervisors is using it as an on ramp. For all of us career virtualization guys, it's either learn a new product or apprentice at the muffler shop bending pipe. Hyperconverged is our last hope.

I'd disagree since Xenserver is used a lot believe it or not, there's more Xenserver clusters than there are Nutanix.

quote:

VMware dominates the market with 84% of all hypervisors running vSphere. Citrix XenServer follows with 10%, trailed by Microsoft’s Hyper-V and Nutanix’s AHV at 4% and 2%, respectively. Organization-wise, 68% use VMware, 18% Citrix, 11% HYPER Ventures, and 4% AHV.

At least among clients I've run into, its mostly been VMWare, obviously, but several Citrix clients and one or two Nutanix. Not saying Nutanix is bad, but its not got more market share either.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 9, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

You folks make this sound like a lot more work than the cloud.

LMAO - If you think the cloud isn't work and isn't built of these bastardized technologies.

Also - the joy of doing Incident Response on someone's lovely cloud environment that got popped because it was 'easy to setup' and they did absolutely zero hardening and everything uses the same super-admin service account.

gently caress the cloud.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

Cloud is good because I get to be all "if I can't see the sausage being made then it must all be great" about it

Nah it's worse than that, because they let some Devs and SREs make the sausage and they stuffed it full of lies and bullshit.

Two groups of people who have no clue how networks and infrastructure works are being allowed to handle it all themselves.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Well, you can set up cloud permissions correctly or not, and you can set up on-prem permissions correctly or not. Like, do the job well and things are easier. Try to pay bottom-quintile salaries and decouple security completely from infrastructure from application development and keep people from being able to try different things and you’re going to have a hard time.

I’ve worked with very large on-prem multi-DC stuff and while I didn’t run the base resource allocation layer I worked with the people who did, and it never sounded half as terrible as you are all describing. We didn’t use VMware or OpenStack or whatever, though, just custom virtualization stuff (or bare-metal systems) because there wasn’t really anything that could handle our scale. In 2012 I could go click around and allocate a few hundred machines in various DCs for a test deployment or whatever, I didn’t have to file tickets and wait around. Tell them what base image to use and what deployment namespace to pull apps and config from, boom.

We use cloud stuff exclusively where I am now and I work closely with the people who manage that on deployment models and system monitoring, and it is a ton easier than you are all describing here. We have tight control over what can access what, great audit trails, the dynamic scaling we need (our workloads vary by more than 50x over the course of the year). If someone wants to try something new we can trivially set them up in an isolated thing with some propagated safe test data and tooling, and all they can do is hit their budget limit. We were on-prem entirely until 2018, and the people who have been in both worlds for us much prefer this one. (We’ll probably do some more on-prem stuff in the future, for selected predictable loads because of better economics, but it’s going to take a lot of work to get to the point that teams can self-serve or scale database/compute/cache or whatever as well as they can even with GCP, which is not the #1 cloud provider in terms of tooling. That Oxide stuff looks really nice, though…)

Mostly, though, I was joking about how so much of this thread is complaining about horrors instead of being excited by new stuff that is making things easier.

Won't lie, I'm jealous, because this isn't common, but then again I tend to see the worst in companies because of doing Security.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, don’t do that. Give the devs and SREs the tooling (including integration into the development stack) and education such that the thing you want them to do is the easy path and exceptional needs get thoughtful, collaborative support instead of “square peg, please choose from our selection of round holes”.

The whole reason any of this poo poo exists is to run the applications for the business.

"Well, we fired the Infrastructure and Systems Engineering guys because Terraform lets the Devs and SREs do it all and save us money! How were we to know they would cause this mess? It saved the company millions!"

- Actual thing I was told during an incident as we asked who allowed their Devs to deploy very sketchy terraform that led to a total compromise of their cloud environment and led back to on prem getting compromised as well.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 9, 2024