Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Corvettefisher posted:

Yes my guess based off what I have read is it requires 5.1's SR-IOV feature to help divy up the video cards resources the the corresponding requests, in conjunction with the VIB's is allows for acceptable hardware acceleration.

VDI is really the driving factor for this.

No, it is not SR-IOV. It is a fullly emulated graphics device that is presented to the guest. If you look in any VMware guest, you will see the SVGA2 graphics device. Your guest will treat it exactly like a physical graphics card. It is completely virtualized. We manage the 3D state of the guests in the backend and we send commands to the physical device to do rendering. The guest will never see anything close to what is physically in the machine as far as graphics cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Yes I was talking about how View 5.2 will handle the GPU acceleration.

I mistyped and put 5.1 but did not specify I was talking about ESXi 5.1, I am aware of how the current graphics work in the vmware environment.

Sorry for the confusion, it's been a rough week.

View doesn't do anything for graphics. All they do is read back the frame from the SVGA2 device in the guest and remote it with PCoIP.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Yes I am speculating on view 5.2 which will use vSGA or Virtual Shared Graphics Acceleration. Which appearently will work with Nvidia Quadro cards to provide near real world GPU performance in the view environment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrUGZGRbG6A
Borederlands 2, which the SVGA 2 would poo poo the bed with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPPSS3TSsGQ
Counterstrike, which the current might start and fail to play.
Like so.

Dude, I work for VMware. On the graphics team. I am not speculating at all. I was the QA lead for the hardware acceleration project on ESX 5.1 back in 2011 before moving over to the dev team.

I actually suggested some games and setups for Tim to demo in those labs at VMworld. They are in fact running on the SVGA2 virtualized device. Of course the device is fast enough. It is software, we can always make it faster. That is why virtualization is cool.

vSGA is just marketing speak for hardware accelerated graphics as opposed to the software accelerated we had before. The guest doesn't know the difference between the two. The guest can't know the difference between the two. That is how we can vMotion from hardware to software acceleration and vise versa.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Erwin posted:

Ugh, I really want to use View and all this fun stuff, but I need aero on 4 screens. I think that's happening with 5.2 and I can't wait.

Aero on only 2 screen is a limitation of the software rendering. You should be able to do it with ESX 5.1, but you will need a hardware GPU. Just curious, why do you need 4 screens with Aero? What is it that Aero gets you?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

three posted:

Don't capitalize the 'W'!

Our cafeteria has is printed as VM Ware on the receipts. The spacing might have just been weird font, but the W was capitalized. Our own loving cafeteria can't even get this right.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Yeah eager to test it out. Just so sudden, I thought it was getting announced at PEX

huh, wonder where the supported GPU list is or am I missing it, I am fairly certian it is the quadro lineup only

Correct. It requires the GF100GL chip, which is found in the Quadro 4000, 5000, 6000. It looks like they released a Plex 7000 as well with that chip. The Kepler based Quadro should work as well. Maybe the supported cards are listed on the Nvidia site? I don't know how the driver vib is distributed.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Kachunkachunk posted:

For anyone with an interest and supported GPU, nVidia VIBs are available: http://www.nvidia.com/object/vmware-vsphere-esxi-5.1-304.76-driver.html.
I have doubts it'll work with other GPUs without modification/hackery, say for whitebox users like myself, but I do hope to have some time to try with a Fermi desktop card some time next week.

Edit: I had it working before with an older driver that wasn't locked down. I could just rely on it, but I noticed odd power consumption patterns with the card. Could be a server-side issue, though.
I would basically come back in a few days to find the room hot from the GPU, which had been running full-tilt for days. Without any VMs running off of it. :psyduck:

I think they black listed all but the supported cards for the release version of the driver.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Kachunkachunk posted:

That is poo. And I expect so. But there's always Directpath I/O, I guess.

Nvidia wants to sell their high end cards. To be fair, those are the cards that have enough memory to run lots of VMs.

edit: It also helps stability. There are tons of hardware limitations on ESX for that reason.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

wolrah posted:

The correct answer in these situations is always to set a flag when using unsupported but technically capable hardware (and maybe make this very blatant in the client, say a permanent red status bar) so support doesn't waste time on said boxes but test/proof-of-concept/home learning lab environments can still be built for cheap. Blacklisting overall is just s dick move.

Talk to Nvidia. It is their driver. The closest you can do for home learning on this would be 3D on Workstation.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

This is a pretty unhealthy way of looking at things. VMware has leverage, customers wanting whiteboxes not so much.

I don't think we have the much leverage with Nvidia. I don't deal with that side of things much though. Virtualized graphics on the server is super new, so we will see how things unfold over the next few years. I don't know if anyone really knows how quickly this will get adopted.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

So has anyone here deployed a Quadro accelerated VDI environment? Debating buying a 4000 card to test out poo poo on

The only downside to the 4000 is the very limited amount of RAM on board. If you give each VM 256M of VRAM (Video, not virtual), you can only get like 7 VMs on the card. If you are just looking to see how well a certain app behaves in a VM, that will be fine.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Mierdaan posted:

Joy: build 5.0.0.913577 of the vSphere client fixes the console nonsense on Windows8. No more using Workstation 9 for console access.

I actually use WS most of the time. The only thing I need but can't do is add VMs to my inventory from the datastore. I have been bugging the product manager about it. Hopefully, it will be next release.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Kachunkachunk posted:

Speaking of fax, once a ticket came in and we could not receive log bundles from a customer. They insisted on faxing us the logs for review for security reasons. I couldn't remember how many pages it was, but drat it was a good waste of time and resources.

You should have mailed them a punch card back and told them it was a patch to fix the issue.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

blacksun posted:

Does VMware play nicely with Ubuntu?

Most of the virtualization development at VMware actually happens on Linux. Ubuntu, Debian, Redhat, and Fedora are all really common. Ubuntu is probably going to be one of the better experiences. It is the most common distro used for the graphics work at least.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

I can see it now: VMware CloudVinfrastruXSi 6.0

Edit: if Citrix and VMware ever merged we will be doomed to live the rest of our lives in an ever changing nomenclature purgatory.

I still just call is ESX and viClient. Although most of the time I connect to my ESX box with Workstation.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

So VMware is a service provider now.

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vcloud-hybrid-service

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Grab player.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

You won't have all the cool features like snapshots, but it will run the VM just fine.

edit: Technically, I guess you should buy WS or Fusion Pro to get a commercial license of Player since you are using it for work.

DevNull fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 17, 2013

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

madsushi posted:

VMware, on the other hand, doesn't want their stuff running on anything but VMware (in their ideal world).

Pretty much any company wants to own the world. There has been a push though for VMware products to play well with others, since so many places are running mixed environments. Time will tell if that pans out.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

A few weeks ago I installed VMWare Player on my PC to play around with some Linux distros. Everything worked fine in the VMs and stuff, but I noticed that when I went to restart my PC, my keyboard wouldn't work at Windows login. It worked fine in BIOS but once it got to the login screen, my mouse worked but my keyboard didn't. I futzed around with it and discovered that if I unplugged my mouse and KB, then plugged the mouse in first, then the KB in second, it would start working again. If I did it the other way it wouldn't work. I swapped mice and swapped the KB out with a PS/2 model, but that didn't fix it. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling all the associated drivers and nothing. I moved the VMware KB driver out of the /drivers folder and the keyboard stopped working altogther. The only thing that fixed it was uninstalling Player completely. I searched google but couldn't find anything. Anyone got any idea for a fix for this? It's really irritating since I power down my computer every day.

It might be the keyboard filter driver. You can turn it off with Workstation, I am not sure about Player. The best bet would be to reinstall Player, but don't install the keyboard filter driver. Oh, and the UI setting in Workstation is called Enhanced Virtual Keyboard. It is a per VM setting. Past that I would need to see logs to figure out what is going wrong. If reinstalling without the filter driver doesn't fix the issue, shoot me a PM. I will give you an e-mail to send the logs to.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

unless you are going with VMware view you might not have access to the advanced vSGA driver for GPU acceleration.

View doesn't have a special driver that enables 3D. All View adds is PCoIP. The guest drivers for ESX/Workstation/Fusion are all the same. Although there will be slight differences and bug fixes and such.

If you are talking about the driver for ESX, it is on the nvidia site. http://www.nvidia.com/object/vmware-vsphere-esxi-5.1-304.76-driver.html

Unless they changed something, you shouldn't need View to use it. I connect to my ESX box with Workstation and use 3D all the time.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Serfer posted:

I don't see what else you could tell from it, but:

The PSOD is useless other than grabbing your attention. Logs are required to get any help with a bug. Always include them when you file a ticket to support.

Delta-Wye posted:

Well, you were right about PSOD. Reading your post, I thought it was a typo.

Yup, that the VMware version of a BSOD. You certainly can't miss it.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

three posted:

"Hey guys vSMP FT is coming any day now!!"
-- VMware since 2008

It really is. I actually though it was already released.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Move to the bay area. You will quickly get sick of people talking tech. You can't sit in a coffee shop in Mountain View without hearing 5 different conversations about how great the project at Google is, or how their social start-up is going to change the world. It might even lead you to take up following a sports team, just so you have something else to talk about.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Pantology posted:

vButt Director

I am pretty sure our newest product is still under NDA, please stop posting about it.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

So how long have you been waiting on a support callback? :laugh:

He has the privilege of directly contacting the developer that implemented the feature, and getting the response of "It works for me."

edit: Also likely to get "I'm busy working on 6.0, it is fixed there."

DevNull fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 23, 2013

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Misogynist posted:

I remember when 4.0 came out and I contacted them about a VMFS regression. I told them exactly what the error was, when the error was introduced, exactly how to reproduce it in greenfield with a single server, what in their code caused it, and how to fix it, and it took eight months before they released a fix.

Developers.

To be fair, the developer probably had it fixed in half a day. Then it took 3 weeks of risk assessment on the patch to see if it could go into a minor release. After that you have several weeks where the code is frozen and QA is doing all their integration testing. The code was finally ready to ship at that point, but the finance people decided that we had to ship in Q3 instead of Q2. Of course the marketing team is busy working on some other major release at the start of Q3, and they don't want this minor patch to distract from that major release. Better tack on a few more weeks before we ship the code.

And this is how corporate software development takes forever.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

Can we have a biggest-cluster dick waving contest? Here's our cluster at our current DC (All HP BL620c G7 blades):

We inherited this cluster and 342 of the VMs from the previous service provider who decided to configure things ultra-conservatively. The hosts all support Nehalem generation EVC mode yet they manually set it to Merom. Also all of the existing 342 VMs have CPU/memory hot-plug disabled and E1000 NICs.

Here's our cluster at the new DC (All HP BL660c G8 blades):

We've only just got all the storage hooked up to the new cluster (We've got two 10GbE dark-fibre links between the DCs) and will probably be migrating stuff over in the near future.

I've seen bigger.

Actually, I haven't. We all just run single systems and that is mostly what I see. It is very cool to see the number of vmotions you have done and stuff like that though. I didn't know that was tracked somewhere.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Mostly these:

I would love to get these things folding for a week. Just one week. My PPD would be absolutely retarded.

My number is bigger than yours. :smug:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Why do most virtualization engineers feel the need to over-complicate every possible thing?

What part are you saying is over-complicated?

Misogynist posted:

Same reason as any other engineer: to go on future job interviews and brag about the complex and difficult environments they've had to design and manage.

Pretty much this. You get some people that want to flashy crap because they think it is fun, and don't actually give a poo poo about long term code development. Getting engineers that want to do the boring stable development can be hard. You get a pretty good view into this with the recruiting tactics of places like Facebook and Google. They really try to sell the fun aspect of working at the company. Other places end up using the same tactics. That is a lot of the mentality in Silicon Valley right now.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evol262 posted:

I'm fairly convinced that VMware doesn't really want the "free ESXi license" crowd anyway. Given VMware's pattern of "we have no idea who actually uses VMware, who's willing to pay for features, and how much they're willing to pay", this was probably an intentional decision.

It was not an intentional decision. It actually is a pain in the rear end for a lot of devs at VMware as well. I don't have to worry about a license, but I sure as hell don't want to have to deal with setting up a vCenter VM for running my single ESX box that I work on. Luckily, I don't need many features through the client at all, so I just connect with Workstation 95% of the time.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I think from a technical standpoint you can probably run OSX on any vendor's ESXi hardware, but legally you're only allowed to run it on Apple bare metal per Apple's EULA. I'd rather be safe than sorry on the legal front on my first day of a new job :q:

That is correct.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Wait I thought you could virtualize it, just limited to tuning on apple hardware?

I read his statement wrong. You can virtualize it, but you have to be running the virtual environment on Apple hardware.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Isn't that what I wrote? :raise:

Not that I'm disagreeing with anything said here.

I think the confusion is about running it on bare metal. You can take Apple hardware, install ESX on it, then run OSX vms on it. You don't have to run the vms on Fusion which has OSX running directly on the hardware.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Yeah, the point is not to virtualize OSX Server. The point is to have tons of copies of OSX running on a beefy ESX box. I imagine mostly for VDI. A ton of places use OSX for OpenGL work, and now the VDI is getting into graphics work, OSX would be useful.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Misogynist posted:

It's kind of antithetical to the whole OSX experience, where Apple wants to control the whole stack from hardware on up the stack, unless Apple was suddenly willing to get into the PCoIP market.

They make a ton of money on the hardware. They want to keep that going as long as possible. They don't have to work with PCoIP/Teradici at all though. They could just as easily start working with Citrix. Or beef up their own VNC server that is part of OSX.

evol262 posted:

This is sort of what they don't want to do -- they have 40% margins on hardware. OSX is only made to sell hardware. They learned that lesson the hard way when they allowed clones. OSX is a lot better than OS8, and there's probably a market for commodity OSX (even if it's virtualized), but it's a step they're shy about taking with a huge pile of money and a business model that's obviously working -- "want to use OSX? Buy a Mac".

Yeah, they are a consumer device company. They don't really care about the enterprise. Enterprise is completely different type of game. Thin margins, lots of competition. Until Apple decides they want to be part of that game, enterprise customers don't have much of an option.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

three posted:

They have better leadership now.

Which leadership are you talking about?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

three posted:

Sanjay Poonen. Everything I hear about him is positive.

Yeah, he seems pretty cool. I was just curious if there was a bad impression with the old leadership.

I'm also glad they opened up the 3D acceleration to more than just nVidia

This was mostly a matter of other hardware companies writing drivers for ESX. Our virtualized graphics already works across hardware, as seen on the hosted products.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

That makes sense I guess, I always thought it was just Nvidia being Nvidia and wanting a limited exclusive for their hardware.

That is why they push pass-through(vDGA) so much. I hate that acronym. I hate vSGA too. It is virtualized or pass-through, those are good names. They can't lock you in with virtualized, because the guest never sees an Nvidia driver or a card. It just sees the VMware device and driver. It might be backed by Nvidia, Intel, AMD, or software rendering. With a bit of virtualization magic, that backend could actually change while the guest is running. Nvidia gets their lock-in with pass-through. They can sell that because it gives you things like CUDA. The performance is better as well. That comes down on us to improve virtualized graphics.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Martytoof posted:

That's not a terrible idea (and honestly probably a cleaner idea in the long term), but I'm not going to spend $200-something if ESXi can pass through USB well enough to do the job ;)

Are you just trying to plug in a device that is local to the ESX box? If so, that should be just fine. Nothing special is needed. I have done that with wireless network adapters connecting to a Windows VM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Anyone know if it's possible in Workstation to control mouse cursor grabbing on a per-VM basis? The only option I've been able to find appears to be global. In general I don't want VMs to grab the cursor, but in Windows 8 and 2012 it's a lot easier to trigger the side panel if it does.

It is only done as a global config.