Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

BnT posted:

Oh yeah, the reason I'm here; Does anyone know of a way to quickly find a list of VMs that have snapshots from vCenter? vSphere 4.1u2 if it matters.

In PowerCLI, to find snapshots:
code:
Get-VM | Sort Name | Get-Snapshot | Select VM,Name,Description,Created
To remove snapshots:
code:
Get-VM | Sort Name | Get-Snapshot | Where { $_.Name.Contains("Production") } | Remove-Snapshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

Veeam's first level support sucks. You really need to engage your rep to get escalated.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Why don't you use DRS?

three
Aug 9, 2007

Devian666 posted:

For a while there I was running ESX 5.0 with the trial key then downgraded to ESXi 4.1. Now I see that ESXi 5.0 is out. I wish they'd done this earlier so I didn't put in the effort to recreate VMs to suit. :argh:

Looks like I'll have to install this new version and see if I can get USB 3.0 working.

There is no such thing as ESX 5.0. :eng101:

three
Aug 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

It's pretty good practice to install an extra vHDD per VM on a different datastore for guest OS swap files/partitions.

That way when you start replicating, you can specify a non-stupid schedule for the swap data instead of keeping it near-synchro like the data you actually give a poo poo aobut.

Good point for SAN replication. Veeam can skip swap files when replicating. :)

three
Aug 9, 2007

Timdogg posted:

I am also in the education arena ...wondering what kind of pricing you are getting for this Compellent hardware. Not looking for an exact quote, but I have no concept how much Compellent costs for education now that Dell bought them...so a round figure would really help me out.

You should ask them to pay you.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

Okay, I swear that I hot-added memory to VMWare ESXi 4 machines before, but now I'm getting an error when trying it about my license not permitting it. I've never had a license other than the free one; was there some time limit that I wasn't aware of?

Memory hot-add does not work in the free version (as far back as 2009, at least). It may have worked under a trial license?

three
Aug 9, 2007

DevNull posted:

I heave heard that people use VMware for their virtualization, and then Citrix for the remoting instead of using View.

What is it that Citrix does better? How do they compare under low bandwidth connections?

The vast majority of IT professionals in the Desktop Virtualization realm are Citrix people due to VMware being new to the market and Citrix having massive market share there. That said, there are a few things Citrix does better, but it's not massive.

three
Aug 9, 2007

I was under the impression that 10K SAS drives are pointless to buy. They provide 33% less performance, but are not 33% cheaper.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

here is a demo of stuff I see day to day

This isn't all you do, but I left 4 of the major objectives for you all to come up with.

E: goons inc. has 3 backbone 24port gig switches with 20 ports open across all 3 switches

You find new storage solutions and do hardware acquisitions day-to-day?

It's clear you're very excited about virtualization, but I think you need to step back and re-assess where you think you are at a skill level, especially in regards to the advice you give.

three
Aug 9, 2007

VSA pricing makes a little more sense when bundled with Essentials Plus, but it still has a lot of drawbacks like not being extendable beyond your initial setup and/or 3 nodes, large storage overhead, unrecommended to run vCenter on the same nodes as VSA runs, etc. I'd personally rather pitch an entry level SAN for a few more thousand dollars.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Bitch Stewie posted:

I have, and believe me it wasn't a suggestion :)

Drobo has a new "enterprise" line, to be fair.

three
Aug 9, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

To be fair I don't really think CPU provisioning is too critical, and I'd give everything at least 2, and just use reservations to make sure each VM gets a guaranteed minimum. RAM of course I would prefer to provision rationally based on physical amounts. If that's 2008 R2, though, 1GB is a bit low, I would personally say. 8GB for a DC doing nothing else at all though? That's probably excessive for almost any business.

To be fair, you're wrong and do not understand how scheduling works. Overallocation is a waste of resources and provides worse performance overall.

There are tons of papers out about this.

three fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 6, 2012

three
Aug 9, 2007

Erwin posted:

Speaking of allocating vCPUs, can anyone speak to the best way to do virtual sockets vs virtual cores in vSphere 5? My assumption has always been 1 vCPU, 2 vCPU, 4 vCPU would be 1 socket 1 core, 2 socket 1 core, 2 socket 2 cores respectively, but it may not actually make a difference. I was at a VMUG today and someone asked that question and the presenter didn't know.

My only thought is that two sockets would allow the VM to straddle physical CPUs in the case of NUMA?

There's no difference between sockets or cores, it's just a way to tinker with licensing and compatibility for the guest.

three
Aug 9, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

So I just extended a 1 drive VM using gparted. Expanded the drive size, booted to the live CD, extended to the partition, rebooted, let the drive check itself and boom, all was well. I tried using diskpart but it wouldn't let me resize the system partition.

Now I need to do the opposite and shrink a drive. I cannot use VMware tools for this because it says it's disabled for the drive (these were P2Ved to a 4.1 machine because the hardware was dying) and then imported into 5.

My Virtualized setup is VERY limited, we're using local storage for about 3 machines which are not super critical.

so If I shrink the drive with gparted, can I just reduce the hard drive size in the Vsphere client and be good to go?

The best way to shrink is to just use VMware Converter and v2v the VM while shrinking the drive.

For extending drives, you can use Dell's Extpart. It will let you extend system volumes, assuming there is contiguous space to extend. (Note: Always create 1 partition per VMDK.)

three
Aug 9, 2007

A virtualization company saying not to virtualize something is ironic.

I can't think of anything that VMware says not to virtualize.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Misogynist hates Veeam. :ohdear:

three
Aug 9, 2007

Mausi posted:

Physical dependency cards, low latency systems, flakey RDMs, Anything that licenses by MAC address, non-stop systems requiring more than 1 cpu. Of course most people don't have these issues.

Any source to this? Not to say it's not true, but I haven't seen these listed publicly before.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Domain controllers are not reccomended to be virtualized. I can't say I have had problems with 2008 and later but 2k3 have problems.

VMware does not say domain controllers should not be virtualized. Looks like Misogynist already cleared that up, though.

three
Aug 9, 2007

The only weirdness I've seen demoing PHD so far is that retention policies are on an appliance basis instead of per job, and recovering Linux guest files requires additional external programs. It's pretty cool, though.

Anything interesting you guys noticed like that?

three
Aug 9, 2007

When confronted with a bad situation, the goal should always be to make it worse.

three
Aug 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Now keep in mind my FC knowledge is pretty much zero compared to yours (ethernet forever) but the same kind of logic can apply to say, a data stripe once you're on the storage head.

Whats up ethernet buddy :):hf::)

three
Aug 9, 2007

NFS is really nice with VMware View since you can put up to around 250 VMs per datastore with NFS, but the maximum with VMFS is 140. Also, you can have 32 hosts per VDI cluster with NFS since there isn't the 8 host max per replica limitation with NFS.

three
Aug 9, 2007

madsushi posted:

Some notes:
Using extents on different LUNs is like putting your data on a RAID 0 -- if either LUN fails, all your data is gone

Actually, only the first node failing will bring the whole datastore down. I wouldn't say using extents is the same as RAID 0, it would be more similar to RAID 10 or [n]0 really.

It seems what happened to you is a result of poor administration (improperly presenting a LUN to the wrong system), although it doesn't sound like it's your fault.

three fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 23, 2012

three
Aug 9, 2007

1000101 posted:

I thought I would post this for the 3 of you out there actually running your vCenter database on Oracle and are about to upgrade from 4.1 to 5.0 update 1:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2032277

You can also thank me for being the first guy to run into that bug and slog through it with VMware escalation engineering!

The short of it is don't upgrade from 4.1 to 5u1 if you're using Oracle for the vCenter database.

Why are you using Oracle for your vCenter database? :psyduck:

three
Aug 9, 2007

I can't see a lot of shops (<1000 VMs) continuing to pay for Veeam, vRanger, PHD Virtual, etc. with the new, improved VDP (VDR Replacement) and built-in replication.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Misogynist posted:

After how VDR and the VSA worked, I'm not even considering replacing PHD Virtual with anything VMware-branded until they seriously prove the poo poo in production.

Seems like they learned their lesson this time and let people that have actually written backup software (EMC's Avamar team) handle this.

We'd save around $15k/year on support renewals by ditching vRanger for this, if it's as good as hyped.

three
Aug 9, 2007

vSMP FT shouldn't be too far away. They're demo'ing it in top secret labs now.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Misogynist posted:

It's still marked Technical Preview as of VMworld 2012 though, so we'll probably be waiting for a 6.0 release before it's prime time unless you know something I don't.

You're right, probably 6.0. Gelsinger spoke of the tick-tock methodology Intel uses, so 6.0 could be next year some time. That's not really that long. V:shobon:V

three
Aug 9, 2007

Misogynist posted:

On the flip side, even if support does look at it within the guaranteed turnaround window, you'll have figured out the issue and solved it much less disruptively than they would have by the time they get back to you with an L1 form letter response.

I once had them tell me that my issue could only be resolved by rebooting my entire vSphere cluster in the middle of the day. Thanks for nothing, fuckwits.

Quality dramatically drops based on where you're routed. I have had good experiences with the Canadians reps, but the Indian reps are usually very weak and extremely slow.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Mierdaan posted:

We're in virtual port mode, but best practices say you can use separate vSwitches or one - it shouldn't make a difference. Will post more tomorrow from work, on phone now...

Very interested to hear what you figure out. Please share when you get to a resolution. :)

three
Aug 9, 2007

vty posted:

Anyone use Xangati? I've recently migrated my entire environment from Xenserver over to Vmware Enterprise (VSPP). I have Veeam One, haven't gotten to far with messing around with it as it's only been a few days, but I just ran across Xangati and it looks pretty damned nice.

It's good, but vCenter Operations is better.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Moey posted:

There isn't much to it.

Are you going for physical or virtual for vCenter?

Also what are you going to use for your DB?

Oracle like a real man.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Oh look at all the little babies not many enough to run a real database.

PS I dont actually run Oracle for vCenter, you silly guys.

three
Aug 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Can't vmotion without shared storage.

You can now (with 5.1, which isn't that helpful).

three
Aug 9, 2007

It makes me super sad VUM requires Windows, but I guess VCSA isn't ready for primetime anyway.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Mierdaan posted:

Anyone updated to vCenter or ESXi 5.1 yet? Any trip reports?

I've been using the beta in my home lab for a while with no issues. There's a bug with the EMC VMAX when creating VMFS-5 datastores if not running a certain code level, and it's also not supported with any versions of View. Those have been the only two things I've ran in to.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Anyone here doing much with vCloud Director? If so, could you explain your use cases and thoughts? I'd love to hear what people are doing with it.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Try disabling the ThinPrint services (if you don't use them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

The VCSA is garbage, so I doubt the Windows install will be gone that soon.