Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Heh. Have you looked at the prices of decent 10GBE switches? I mean 10GBE is a good idea anyway, but it's not exactly commodity-priced yet.

You know, this is the only time I've been really happy with my Dell 65** switches. I spent about 1/5th the cost of a dedicated 10G/e switch for a couple of plug in boards and transceivers, created a new vlan and voila I have a 10G/e iSCSI network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BelDin posted:

Good luck with that. VMware is like InfoSec. It's the IT generalist's specialization. It definitely to be jack of all trades, master of many in this area. My experience may be different, but I'm expected to perform minor miracles every day, know more than the admins about their own server functions, and more about networking than anyone else where I work.

Yep. To be a good Vmware administrator you need to..

1. Know how the physical servers work.
2. Know how the OS's use resource.
3. Know how networks work (specifically vlanning and mtu if you are dealing with legacy networks).
4. Know how storage works.
5. Everything else I forgot to list.

On the upside: Knowing VMWare is a hot thing right now and I'm on my third implementation (Started with ESX 3 in a webhosting environ, moved on to 4.1 in government, and now I'm doing a 5.0 deployment back in the corporate world).

The first one I was just a line admin implementing someone elses plans. The second time was me helping design but not doing any of the implementation. The third one I've done it all myself from the ground up and so far it's the best one yet.

Though I want to know how to get my hierarchical view back for my VM cluster so I can see what is where at a glance.

Anyone know how?

For a visual of what I'm talking about. I dropped everything into a cluster and this was the result:

Is there any way to go back to

host
-Virtual machine
host 2
-Virtual machine

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 7, 2012

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Erwin posted:

This is how it looks with DRS turned on and fully automated. I guess it encourages you to think of VMs as just running on a cluster and not worrying about which host they're on.

Well I don't like it.

Also I only have it set to make suggestions, not do any active moving.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

fatjoint posted:

Click on one of the host servers in the cluster and click virtual machines to see which guests are actually running on the host.

Yeah that's just a pain in the rear end, I wish it would show the hierarchical view ala a non clustered vcenter implementation. It tells you a lot more at a glance.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
So I'm virtualizing an old MSSQL box, a 2005 era IBM X Series 3850 M2 with 64G of memory. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I should actually give it less resource than the old physical machine correct?

*new servers are DL380G7's

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Start low and watch application performance is the general rule of thumb.

One question is why it needed to be P2V'ed instead of re-implemented as a VM.

It's not P2V'd, started fresh.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Moey posted:

Anyone ever come across a folder on a datastore that will not delete? Folder is empty. There is nothing else on that datastore, the drat folder just wont delete. I am going to blow it out anyway (and that whole storage device actually) but wanted to make sure there is nothing that I am missing that is somehow relying on this empty folder.

One of your hosts is causing the problem, it thinks it has something in the folder, I've had this happen in the past and the only thing to clear it up was a host reboot.

That was in ESX 4.1, I haven't run into this in 5.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I just outed myself as an idiot by forgetting converter even existed. Thanks for the clarification though.

Don't blame yourself. Most people only use it to virtualize that 10 year old win2k box running mission critical software installed by the vendor who is out of business who gently massaged each registry entry in with their dicks, and now no one can replicate the install.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

Job related question. I've worked with Hyper-V for a while now. Nothing fancy, but some single and multi host implementations, as well as setting up a cluster once. I've only worked in MS shops. I am interested in expanding my knowledge about VMs. Am I wasting my time if I continue working with Hyper V, or should I just try to learn VM ware? I did get a Hyper-V implementation book the other day, but a $35 investment hardly locks me into a certain path. I just want to end up with a useful skill set in the end.

Generally VMWare is a generation or two ahead of Hyper-V.

I like hyper-v for labs, I like VMWare for production.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

complex posted:

These are not in Dell's Force10 line (http://www.dell.com/us/enterprise/p/force10-networking) so I have to assume they are rebranded from some other company.

I could be wrong, but based on Dell's history and the design it looks to be a rebranded Brocade/Foundry.

As far as I know everything in the powerconnect line is rebranded brocade.

EDIT: I'm using Dell 6248's with the SFP module plugins in the back for my 10G network and it runs like a champ.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 6, 2012

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Misogynist posted:

In my home lab, I once accidentally Storage vMotioned a thin-provisioned OpenSolaris VM into an iSCSI volume exported by itself. Don't do that.

This is like the third time I've used the :stare: emote today.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
He's lucky he didn't blow the entire universe away.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Erwin posted:

Only because the way storage hardware (and most IT resources) is sold is bullshit.

I hate having to actually talk people to get a rough estimate of how much something will cost.

Just... have some retail prices layed out then save the enterprise wrangling for the people who actually call for a quote.

This way I can show how cool I am with a printed savings estimate after "Wrangling with the vendor".

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Misogynist posted:

This certainly explains why I gave a vendor a budget of $1.5m for a recent project and got back a quote at $600k.

Vendor management takes people skills. If you're not able to competently negotiate, you will get taken advantage of, end of story.

I always say my budget is a lot lower than it is and get competing bids so I can get better prices.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kerpal posted:

Has anyone ever tried actually backing up ESXi? I'm a little late upgrading from ESXi 4.1 to 5.0 U1. VMWare's upgrade guide warns that you cannot rollback to a previous version once upgrading. Googling around people seem to suggest that there is no point to backing up ESXi. I know you can use the vSphere CLI script vicfg-cfgbackup.pl to backup the configuration. Would it then be possible to rollback by reinstalling ESXi 4.1 over 5.0 and using the saved configuration file? Our environment is very simple, a single host with 10 VMs, no vCenter, update manager, or plugins.

It takes like 20 minutes to install ESXi and you have the configs you can just import them. Any bare metal restore you do would take longer than just reinstalling and applying the config.

So uh yes, if you want to roll back just install etc.

Allthough you'd probably be better off just doing a fresh install of 5 and re-attaching your VM's from a time wasted standpoint.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yeah, were I him I'd just schedule a 4 hour downtime window at some point and just do it. 4 hours is more than enough time to dig through all the permutations of "Well the upgrade didn't work, I'm going to isntall 5, the 5 install didn't work, I'm going to install 4.1." etc.

Honestly I don't forsee any problems unless you are trying to install it on a graphing calculator or something.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kerpal posted:

It's all on a local RAID. We have ESXi installed on RAID 1 with VM data stored on a RAID 5. Are you saying I can install ESXi 5.0 on a USB flash drive, boot off that with the host, and then add VMs residing on the local RAID to its inventory? That would be a great way to test it.

Most people I know running ESX on a local raid are buying machines with SD card slots now so they can run the hyper visor off one of those.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bitch Stewie posted:

Thanks for the reply.

This is what's not so clear to me so far. So if I use, say, an E1000, you're saying the OS might report a 1gbps NIC but it can actually transfer data in/out of the vSwitch at greater than 1gbps?

I'm assuming by the time I get to using vSphere for the application I have in mind that some issue I read of with the VMXNET driver when used with that application will have been ironed out, and I'll have 10gbps pNIC connectivity in/out of the vSwitch, I just wasn't clear how the intra-vSwitch traffic works..

I have this sudden desire to test this.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sleepstupid posted:

OK, did this and got the same blue-screen

I would love to tell you what it says but it's on the screen for virtually (see what I did there :P) a nano second and then it loops right back to the screen that lets you choose safe mode, Last good..., etc. None of those options produce a different result.

Sounds like something got dicked up in the transfer. Recopy maybe?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sylink posted:

I know VMconverter lets you go physical to virtual, does it let you do the reverse as well?

I'm a retard/not too knowledgeable on it yet so this may be a stupid question.

There is no good reason to do this (and it isn't as easy as P2V)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Actually there are (placating support engineers who blame your running virtual for poo poo that's got nothing to do with it).

Calling back 45mn later with: "oh yeah and BTW this is on bare metal" is pretty hilarious.

I've had that discussion before, usually it ends up with me beating someone to death with their own error message. "No you calling a function that doesn't exist isn't a problem with virtualization idiot"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Moey posted:

Is that really showing a big performance difference? I thought from previous reading it was only like a 10-20% gain in most case. For some reasons my boss keeps claiming it will be a 9 to 1 performance difference. :v:

10-20% gains can have a much larger affect on applications as a whole when you are talking about something that makes disk waits pile up.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

You should be able to make a RAID array like normal, create several volumes, then present those to ESX. I think. I've never actually done it.

I think he wants a big VMFS partition, but those aren't supported above 2TB.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Naes posted:

Can anyone comment on how well a virtual machine can handle 3d games (diablo 3, dota 2, etc)?

I realize that playing games is not really the aim of virtualization but wondering how well it work assuming I gave the virtual machine enough power.

This is how most mac users play games from my understanding v0v.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

1000101 posted:

ESXi 5.X supports SCSI devices over 2TB though individual virtual disks are still limited to 2TB-512B.

A single 64TB VMFS filesystem is also possible in 4.X though you need to use 32 2TB extents to create it.

Heyooo, learn something new every day.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

nahanahs posted:

We've got a deal where we can get individual machines and lots of disk pretty cheap, to the point where it's way more economical than network storage.

Roll your own SAN/NAS by getting an individual machine with lots of disk.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Just one more thing...

ESXi for ARM! Now you can run ESXi on all your mobile devices!

Don't even say this. My CEO will see that it is "A thing" and I'll have to spend a month trying to shoehorn our primary ERP application onto his smartphone for redundancy.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

complex posted:

September 11th.

~we remembered

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

adorai posted:

Can I have your mailing address? I want to send you a bullet to save you the trouble it buying it yourself.

Send him two: One to shoot the vcenter box with, the second to kill himself.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

sanchez posted:

In place upgrades of esxi 4.0 to 5 on hosts with local storage (gently caress local storage), has anyone experienced any kind of disaster? Coworkers have done a few but I'm nervous all the same since the client has no vm level backups and rebuilding all of their servers in a weekend would suck if the datastore gets eaten. I'd be using the iso.

Backup the virtual machines to some separate storage before doing the upgrade if you are that nervous (USB Drive maybe?)

I honestly wouldn't even do it if they had no off host backups and you couldn't facilitate a cheapo solution like a USB drive.

Edit: Is there a vcenter server involved? If so vmotion the VM's to another host then do the upgrade.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Can't vmotion without shared storage.

Well not vmotion but you can migrate without shared.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mierdaan posted:

If they're just now upgrading to 5 and haven't sprung for shared storage yet, what are the chances they've got Enterprise licensing

One day I'll introduce you to my old webhosting company.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Corvettefisher posted:

Wait you mean people don't set up a defunked lab and ask you to fix all the issues when hiring VMware people :doh:

Watch as the guy methodically disables all of your alarm conditions.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

I like turtles posted:

Two primary questions:
Is there a good reason not to convert a physical file server to a virtual one? I have something nagging in the back of my mind that a virtualized file server is a bad idea, but I can't be sure.

GPT data disks. Said file server has two slices of a fiber attached storage device used as its primary storage 3TB and 4TB. I have about 1.3TB used between the two of them. vCenter converter 5 freaks out because the two storage devices are GPT disks, and doesn't let me get to a point where I can tell it to just do the system disk. Converting the disks to be not GPT is not an ideal option, and given that I'm not sure how long the P2V would take, I'm hesitant to take the production fileserver offline for however long to experiment with the process.

*looks over at his virtualized file server*

It's fine. The P2V for just an OS drive generally only takes a couple of hours at most.

EDIT: it's a fileserver though so I'm not sure why you are even bothering with a p2v?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Wicaeed posted:

Wait so Essentials doesn't include vMotion? Haha gently caress that noise. Does it still allow you to one click-xfer offline vm's to another host or is it all manual?

Eh if I was looking to build a basic VMWare cluster vMotion is a "Nice to have" not a necessity.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

E: gently caress me, it's because I guess my AD server doesn't allow anonymous binds, so it needs a username and password. Am I right in thinking that using my credentials would be a bad idea, and I should create an AD service account for this?

Unless you feel like fielding hilarious phonecalls about a month into whatever your next job is: Use service accounts.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Honestly, if you're scared of storage, what the gently caress are you even trying to run virtualization for? There's no way someone who can't figure out NAS4Free is going to survive in a production environment running real workloads.

Pretty much this. If you want to be a "VMware guy" you had better know your storage, and have a decent head for networking as well.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BelDin posted:

I still think the two careers that you can make still being a generalist is in virtualization and security. You are just specializing in generalism. :)

You know... technically I agree.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Moey posted:

So their storage and server networks are not segregated?

I'm so happy I'm not the only one that thought that. For a second I just assumed that I was the stupid one.

It may still be true but at least I'm not alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

janitorx posted:

We moved to NFS quite some time ago to work around those issues as well, also not having to worry about VM corruption in the off chance there is a communication interruption.

Being able to add storage without holding your breath while rescanning HBAs is nice too.

This sounds weird to me, I've grown iSCSI virtual filesystems fairly often without a hitch. Hell I just bumped one of my datastores a few hours ago. What problems do you guys have?