Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mierdaan posted:

Rob de Veij wrote a nice thing called RVTools that does a nice job of picking out all the things like old snapshots, out-of-date VMware Tools installs, etc etc, as well.

This. Is. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Erwin posted:

My vCenter's active memory is rarely over 1GB unless vCenter is actually doing something, and then it might hit 2GB.

How big is your environment? Is your SQL db running locally?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's not P2V'd, started fresh.

That's the best thing to do. Get rid of all the old crap that isn't needed and start with a clean properly setup VM. As for the resources, I do what evil_bunnY said. Start low and monitor it. I consistently have to argue with my boss here that our VMs do not need 8 cores and 32gb memory when they are using less than 10% of their current resources.

Anyone ever come across a folder on a datastore that will not delete? Folder is empty. There is nothing else on that datastore, the drat folder just wont delete. I am going to blow it out anyway (and that whole storage device actually) but wanted to make sure there is nothing that I am missing that is somehow relying on this empty folder.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Rhymenoserous posted:

One of your hosts is causing the problem, it thinks it has something in the folder, I've had this happen in the past and the only thing to clear it up was a host reboot.

That was in ESX 4.1, I haven't run into this in 5.

That's what I am thinking, our storage was/is very jacked up. Getting pretty close to having it all sorted out properly. I honestly just want to delete the datastore then drop the connection, then rebuild it from the storage, but am terrified to do that during production, even if nothing is running on that NAS unit.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

complex posted:

Use vmfstools to examine any locks on the volume, break lock if necessary.

How would I do this?

It is an empty folder on an empty datastore. The only switch that gives me feedback for datastores with vmfstools is --queryfs, and that doesn't bring back anything on locks (from what I am seeing).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moey posted:

How would I do this?

It is an empty folder on an empty datastore. The only switch that gives me feedback for datastores with vmfstools is --queryfs, and that doesn't bring back anything on locks (from what I am seeing).

Meh. Had a maintenance window last night so I was able to reboot all the hosts connected to this stupid datastore. Still couldn't delete the folder. After that I realized that since that was the only thing left on that entire NAS, why the hell didn't I reboot that first. A reboot of the NAS and the folder was gone!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Has anyone here converted pRDMs to VMDKs? What is the timeframe on something like this? Same as a normal storage migration?

Seems very straight forward. Just do an offline storage migration and it will copy all the data from the RDM and create a VMDK. My old boss setup a few production servers with RDMs that have no business being RDMs, so I am trying to straighten poo poo out.

One of the machines has about 500gb of scans (17 million files), so that is the one I am most nervous about.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

If you have the extra storage space you could also do an online file sync using something like RichCopy, then just cut over at night one night and have minimal downtime.

We do have the extra space, but I think the processing of 17mil files will take longer than a the storage migration/conversion (I think, in reality I have no idea). In the past when others have tried to do work on these files or restore them, it literally has taken days (unsure of what was used to copy in the past).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I used it for moving 7m files from one array to another (RDM hurf) and it worked very well, plus you can do multiple syncs. The first one takes the longest, then just the changes. Just a thought if downtime is a problem. You can tweak the number of threads used for discovery, transferring files, etc.

Maybe I will give it a shot over the next few nights and see how it fares. Thanks for the info, never used RichCopy before, I normally stick with RoboCopy.

My place is pretty generous when we request weekend/after hour outages, but along with doing this over the weekend, I get to pull a quad gb nic and install/configure a dual 10gb fiber card (lets hope that doesn't go horribly wrong).

Moey fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 20, 2012

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Misogynist posted:

You can Storage vMotion them to any datastore if you're using Virtual mode RDMs, which is probably a little bit simpler than Converter.

Have you done this before, or an offline migration? Is the time about the same as just a normal Storage vMotion or offline migration?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What kind of performance increase in processing power should I expect from hyperthreading? This is for a home whitebox lab setup.

All my google searches hint at around a 20% performance increase.

additional info:

I have the option of getting a chip real cheap, but options are limited (i5-2500 or i7-2700k). I really think i would rather lose the 20% in cpu performance and gain VT-D so I can properly pass through disks and such to VMs.

edit:
new chips
i5-2500 $100
i7-2700k $180

edit 2:
Looks like if I spend a little more I can have my cake and eat it too. The e3-1230 supports VT-D and HT.

edit 3:
Cheaping out with the i5-2500, using the savings for a nice SSD to run VMs from.

Moey fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 28, 2012

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

evil_bunnY posted:

Build a whitebox with components know to work, dint buy a server.

This. Build a beefy workstation with some good parts and you will be set. You can virtualize ESXi installs as well to practice some HA/DRS/fun stuff.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Misogynist posted:

In my home lab, I once accidentally Storage vMotioned a thin-provisioned OpenSolaris VM into an iSCSI volume exported by itself. Don't do that.

I forgot to ask, what happened? I can only assume the world exploded. Or as soon at the Storage vMotion finished, everything poo poo the bed.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bob arctor posted:

Also does anyone have any experience with something like the thecus 8900 and or the QNAP 879 as a iSCSI NAS for lower utilization VMs or VM Drives?

I currently have 4 Qnap TS-809U-RP in my work environment. Have not really had any complaints with them (after they were setup properly).

What questions did you specifically have?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bob arctor posted:

What are you upgrading to? It sucks

are you running VMs off them? I have a synology ds1010 that I use as a backup target for backup exec which is great except the backexec part), but even a relatively low requirements win 7 VM was too slow to bother with.
What did setting up the QNAPs properly consist of?

We are. iSCSI for all of them. They started out as our primary shared storage for VMs, and we are slowly migrating now to two Dell MD3220i (two separate clusters). Performance isn't anything to write home about, but between the four units, we are running around 45 VMs without any major complaints (nothing extremely IO intensive).

My old boss had the networking to "Port Trunking" with Balance-rr (Round-Robin). When we had this enabled, it would cap our throughput at around 10 megs. Switching to Balance XOR brought us to around 110 megs.

Never had any huge issues. They do have alot of FW updates, so make sure you update to something recent (the newest for us had issues, so we are one version back (3.6)).

We have also just started using Veeam to do backups of all our VMs, which is also being stored on these. No problems with that either.

My one complaint on these (809u) is that they do not support jumbo frames. And also you cannot add in 10gb networking. We purchased a 1079 to test with, which does support 10gb, so moving forward for cheap shared storage, we may go with those.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

evil_bunnY posted:

How do you like your 3220's?

So far we have not had any real issues with them. We originally had some dumb netgear gb switches for our iSCSI that seemed to be causing issues. Once we replaced them with some managed wire speed switches (Dell 5548, and now switching to 6248) they seemed to fine.

I am currently configuring our second one to replace the first one, then the first one is getting re-deployed in the other cluster.

bob arctor posted:

Another couple quick host storage questions:
For a dell 610 with 6X SAS is RAID6 the most desirable drive config? I have a 610 with 4 drives in RAID10?
How much performance is lost to ESXi (4.1) with local drives over running the OS on bare metal?

Edit: I didn't read properly.

Moey fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 17, 2012

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Strange issue I am seeing, anyone care to share some insight?

vMotion between these two hosts used to work (to my knowledge). There are identical units (Dell R610). Both have Intel E5620 cpus. Verified VT settings are the same. Already tried powering down a VM, resetting all CPUID mask settings to default. No go.

Both hosts are currently running ESX 4.1.0 433742

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Both have HT enabled.

How would I determine if the host bits are identical (google isn't helping me today)?

Edit: I see no difference.

Moey fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 26, 2012

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

escalate

This. Everytime I have worked with VMware's tier 1 support, it has been miserable.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CrazyLittle posted:

What's a good setup for 30-40 VMs? (simple webservers, etc)

Care to be a little less vague?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Are there any tools to check to see if a datastore is actively in use, or if any powered off VMs rely on that datastore?

Using RVTools, the vDatastore tab is showing 0 VMs, but there seems to be orphaned snapshots that are stored there. I don't think I will have a problem deleting them, but just wondering if there is any other official way of verifying this.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Does browsing the datastore show and directories of known used VM's?

It has folders in there with the names of the VMs, then the orphaned snapshots inside. But when I look at the actual VM within vSphere, it doesn't show that it is using that datastore at all (and there are no snapshots for any of these VMs).

There is also seemingly a full copy of a VM in one of the datastores, that has a 0kb VMX file, but the VM is perfectly fine running on a different datastore.

What my old boss did to some of this stuff, I have no idea...

Edit:

gently caress it, time to blow this stuff out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Erwin posted:

If you edit the settings of each of those VMs, are the .vmdk files just the name of the VM, or is there a snapshot number attached? EG myvmname-0000007.vmdk. If that's the case, even if snapshot manager doesn't show any existing snapshots, it may be riding on that snapshot. Doing 'consolidate' in ESXi 5 fixes this, but I think the behavior is different in 4?

The vmdk files that the running VM is using is named properly, so it is not relying on the snapshot at all. We are running ESXi 4.1, and I am not aware of any consolidate feature. What I was able to do was create a snapshot, and delete it right away. Even though those "orphaned" snapshots were not showing in the manager, removing the one I just created, removed the others.

Aaearon posted:

I'm looking to pull the trigger on the whitebox configuration below.

I would look at getting the 1235 instead of the chip you have picked. Not a big price increase, does HT and also has integrated video so you do not have to toss in a video card anytime you need physical console access (or just for the base install).

Moey fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 9, 2012

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Aaearon posted:

Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge 3.2GHz LGA 1155 80W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80623E31230

I see you changed your CPU from your original post, but still didn't listen to/respond to my feedback.

The E3-1230 (as well as the E3-1220 that you originally posted) does not have onboard video baked in. If you do not want to have to throw in a video card for the install or bios work or any local TSM work, spend the 30 bucks more for the E3-1235.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Aaearon posted:

The board has onboard video (Nuvoton WPCM450RA0BX) according to Newegg's page so I went with the E3-1230 vs the E3-1235 because the board's onboard video should cover it, right?

Totally possible I am missing something but that is why I went with the E3-1230 vs the 35.

Nope, you are correct! I didn't look at the motherboard in detail. With consumer 1155 boards, most have connectors for video, but will only work if the CPU has integrated graphics. That mobo has you covered it seems.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Frozen-Solid posted:

Question about Essentials Plus licensing:

As I've said before, we have 2 vSphere 5 Standard hosts right now, with no vCenter license. If we DO end up with an Essentials Plus license, that can go right on our current servers, right? It won't mean I have to do a bunch of reinstalls/conversions again will it?

Correct. When you install vCenter, you add your licenses. Then when you add your hosts, you can just select which license you want to apply.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

haha, you wish!

No my VCAP-DCA/VCP5-VDI sims are starting up and I am running +27GB in ram usage normally. Might as well get 64

You were originally running this all within workstation right? Or have you switched to a dedicated ESXi box?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Currently I am doing
Windows 7 x64 => Workstation 2012 => ESXi clusters/SAN/WINDOWS AD/vCenter and hitting +27GB in usage. When I played with Centos and workstation on that I shaved off like 3 GB but still my CPU was hitting >90%

I am debating heavily on if I should just
Laptop w/ vsphere => ESXi base hypervisor => VM's ESXi installs
-or-
Centos=>workstation=>esxi=>guest OS.

I would bypass workstation entirely. ESXi on baremetal then more ESXi instances running inside. That is what I am currently setting up (just waiting on my CPU to be shipped).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Normally I would say sure but I do like my RPD/VNC to my desktop at home every now and again, well I guess I could RPD into a VM guest but meh dunno. I would need to tag on a laptop too since mine is very picky about the position it is in 5 year old Gaming laptop with GPU and blow caps

Then spin up a VM on your server of whatever environment you want? Unless you plan on gaming and such.

Edit: I also have other physical machines that I can use, so dedicating it to ESXi was no issue for me.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mierdaan posted:

In case anyone else was curious about how single-server ESXi works now since the CPU->VRAM entitlement stuff goes out the window when you're not paying them any monies, here is the FAQ on VMware vSphere Hypervisor. That's what they're calling single-server unlicensed ESXi now.

Goes out the window? The free version of ESXi 5 is capped at 32gb memory. And I believe the free version of ESXi 4 was unlimited memory.

Frozen-Solid posted:

VMWare's website is awful.

If you are in the Chicagoland area, the vendor we recently started working with has been awesome (they do licensing as well as contracting work).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
edit not quote.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mierdaan posted:

Right, I'm just saying that when you're figuring out how much RAM you're entitled to use, that's typically dictated by how many CPU licenses you've paid for. When you're running unlicensed, that limit has to be coming from somewhere else, and I didn't know where that was.

Rodger that.

Cidrick posted:

Who is that, out of curiosity? We have a vendor we get most of our licensing stuff (not just vmware) through but I'd like to know of someone a bit more vmware-centric.

PM sent, not sure if I should put companies names up here.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Docjowles posted:

Yellow Bricks is a good VMware blog.

Seconding this.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Erwin posted:

Is this the way it is now, or the way you're going to do it, or both? Why so many small clusters? My intuition would be 2 clusters, grouped by CPU count, and setting host affinity if you really want to keep that segregation in tact (not sure why you would, though). My reasoning would be more HA resiliency.

I think he is explaining two clusters, one with all the Cisco hosts (C1, C2...) and one with the Dell hosts (D1, D2...). At least that is how I read it.

Edit: Beaten.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Misogynist posted:

Update: I'm pretty sure I'm receiving prank phone calls from Veeam support even though (because?) I'm no longer a customer.

I loved Veeam for the first month we used them. Now I am dealing with their support after we changed a backup repository (was a VMDK attached to the backup VM, now it is connected via MS iSCSI) and how add now fails. They seem to either know very little, or just really do not want to talk to me.

:(

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Is there anything about doing GPU offload for vmware view?
http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2012/01/enhancing-graphics-processing-with-teradici-pcoip-host-cards-and-vmware-view.html

I see this I am just wondering if anyone here has experiences with this.

I did a bunch of reading about it about 6 months ago, seems pretty awesome if your users require any kind of multimedia experience on their VMs. The technology is still very new though, so I wasn't finding tons of stuff on it then, outside of white papers that Teradici was putting out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Just got Jumbo frames on the network, much snappier now

Is that really showing a big performance difference? I thought from previous reading it was only like a 10-20% gain in most case. For some reasons my boss keeps claiming it will be a 9 to 1 performance difference. :v:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V49JGW...KK85G6ZTGTH9ENP

THE HA and DRS yellow book is FREE, best get it before they run out.

Yes it is for 4.1 but still a good book

Awesome. Thanks.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DrOgdenWernstrom posted:

The Dell MD3200i looks pretty nice, dual controllers, dual power supplies. In the past my boss has opted for the more expensive, do it right, option. So I think he'd be fine with the MD3200i

If we got a MD3200i Dual controller, 2x Dell PowerConnect 6248's (I know, not the greatest but we can get them cheap and we don't have that much traffic or layer3), and the essentials plus kit, we could be pretty good with redundancy I think.

That sounds very similar to part of my setup. MD3220i and a 6248 (my boss doesn't think redundant switches are worth it). We have a few 6248's, and honestly they are pretty solid. You can use the back modules to toss in 4x10gb fiber connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Syano posted:

The MD3200i is a fine kit for a SMB needing an entry level SAN. The dual controllers and dual power supplies, along with a sufficient RAID level will cover most SMBs for pretty much any reasonable outtage scenario.

That is how I feel about our MD3220i. It is great for a traditional entry level SAN. We are going to now begin dabbling with introducing SSDs into QNAPs "tier 1" devices and see how they handle everything. With 10gbe networking and redundant internals, I think performance will be fine, as long as there are no huge software bugs.

Frozen-Solid posted:

So we had no hard drives in any of our VMs for a minute and a half, and everything magically works like nothing happened. None of our VMs locked up or shut down. Everything appears to be running like normal. I have no idea how everything can just work when we completely lost hard drive connectivity.

I have had this happen to me a few times before. Once time the iSCSI connectivity for a certain host was knocked out for like 15 minutes (apperently one of the quad port nics was physically damaged, so if cables were stressed at all, they would drop connectivity). After a few minutes, the machines were still pingable, but couldn't hit fileshares/rdp/services. After finding the problem and reconnecting the cables, everything came back online happy.