Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's a miracle. I somehow managed to talk sense into my CIO, and got him to take a look at oVirt. Thank you all so much for your help and links.
I think he finally understands the difference between, and the fact that we pretty much only have, pets not cattle.
He's still adamant about implementing Openstack, just not for everything (or at this point anything).
It's oVirt for pets, OS for cattle. I told him that it's fine because the two can play together nicely.
Now he wants a plan for making it happen. So I have about a week or so to learn both oVirt and Openstack, and get them to share resources. :smith:
It's not going to be pretty, but at least I don't have to worry about having to deal with a massacre of pets in openstack.

That being said, do you know of any good articles on oVert and Openstack convergence?
So far I've only looked at http://www.ovirt.org/Features/OSN_Integration (updated today)

What size are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
I am so glad I have a boss who trusts my judgement.

Not to say I always get it right but some of the stuff on this thread, hell just this one page, is just so hosed up words fail me.

The bit I'm curious about with all these hair-brained antics is do management (by which I mean business management) actually know what these idiots are doing and that they're putting the business at (varying levels of) risk with some of the insanity over either weird irrational prejudices or to save a few $$$?

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
AD in a virtual environment is simple so long as you don't do anything dumb.

Run your DCs on different hosts and make sure your hosts and your PDC Emulator are pulling time from an external NTP source (unless you're on of those shops who have an internal switch do it or something).

Time is the thing that seems to (still) catch people out with virtual and AD - get the time right and the rest looks after itself.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

So we are trying to do an absolute 0 downtime failover system, they really want VMware so we are looking at doing array level syncing with 2 MSA 2040s, I can't get a non bullshit sales guy answer on exactly how synced it is and what the failover time is like at all, some have told us instant others say 15 minutes to 4 hours its all over the place.

How can you say "absolute 0 downtime failover system" and "MSA 2040" in the same sentence?

For "absolute 0 downtime" you need to be spending a shitload more than an MSA 2040 costs (or than two of them cost) and you need to be doing your resilience at the app level as well as counting on the array.

At the very minimum you're looking at stuff like the (proper) EMC, 3PAR, Hitachi and the likes on the storage side in my view.