Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a couple of cloud/devops threads in the cavern of cobol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791735

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695559

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004252

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

NUCs are nice but most of them have mobile CPUs in which limits their usefulness.

Being able to put up with something slightly larger and grabbing a Dell/HP/Lenovo SFF system (OptiPlex Micro, ProDesk Mini, ThinkCentre Tiny) off eBay that is only 8 months old despite being sold for second-user prices, and has a warranty left and a desktop CPU in is a good way to go.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SSDs are so cheap now that I'd probably just stick a couple of low end 512GB disks in RAID1 and boot vSphere off that. Used to mess around with the mirrored SD cards in Dell boxes but the write speeds got painful sometimes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

VMware are discontinuing support for running the hypervisor from only SD cards and USB sticks. You'll need good local disk as well, at which point the SD card adds no value.

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2021/09/esxi-7-boot-media-consideration-vmware-technical-guidance.html

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 4, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Didn't they buy Brocade as well and pretty much do nothing with them

RIP the SilkWorm, the finest named FC switch the world ever had.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 24, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They break it in the same way Microsoft broke virtualising the Windows client OS in VDI deployments - never sell a suitable license to permit deploying in that way, and launch your own service in Azure.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

WSL does some very weird networking which means IPv6 doesn't work out of the box, it's annoying and it would be nice to just have the WSL instance grab another address when it's opened.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

VMware by Broadcom

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Didn't the HTML5 console start off as a fling? Can't have that sort of initiative being freely taken any more I suppose.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I presume there's a point where it makes sense to employ a few XGP-ng experts who can also contribute to the codebase rather than to keep paying out for VMware licensing, do larger companies run the numbers on this and have a point planned for making the change, or do they just consider VMware a sunk cost and keep paying it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kaddish posted:

I have no practical knowledge or experience with it but why haven't I seen Nutanix in the VMware replacement conversation very much?
I can see why people getting hosed by an acquisition of VMware by complete vultures are reluctant to include another single-vendor solution in their shortlist for a replacement

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 28, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's always taking up carpentry or plumbing or something

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Retrain as an electrician or something

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get your bonus, get your third home, take the golden handshake, repeat at the next firm you end up on the board of

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft 100% do not have the ability to take advantage of this and make a vCenter equivalent that doesn't make you want to pull your hair out, and license it sensibly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

fresh_cheese posted:

There will be the cowards who just sigh and crack open the wallet to give broadcom their extortion money

There will be the subtle troublemakers who start using kvm or hyperV on the downlow and moving stuff there over time, avoiding contact with the broadcom sales people as much as possible

There will be cowboys who declare it all bullshit and start porting their workloads to TheCloud/FreeBSD/OpenVMS/FreeDOS and either win glorious victory or burn half the company down by accident

There will be CFOs who will insist on running workloads on whatever version of VMware your perpetual license currently entitles you to, even when the company refuses to renew the support agreement

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't that Thiel?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would move to a competitor every time even if it didn't save any money compared to sticking with the supplier that just hiked their costs, purely out of spite

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Finally the product manager for 1U PowerEdge can get his sales performance bonus

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cloud is good because I get to be all "if I can't see the sausage being made then it must all be great" about it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've been on the receiving end of companies employed to do an audit as a box-ticking exercise to be able to obtain cyber insurance or bid for certain contracts, and it's a world of difference compared to actual security companies getting an understanding of the business and seeing their role as one of collaboration to improve security posture. The big four consulting firms taking fresh graduates and sending them off with a laptop are awful.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's cool how MS don't give a single poo poo about developing that product any further unless you fancy tying it all into Azure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Skimming the documentation suggests that multiple auth sources means configuring them as different realms, and those are presented in a dropdown on the login page.