Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
One reason to make it physical is if you don't have vMotion (I know, kill me now). I run it virtual without vMotion, so instead of being able to vMotion it to another host to upgrade the one it's usually on, I have another powered-off VM using the same VMDK on shared storage and I have to turn one off, then turn the other one on. One thing I've noticed is that it takes a while to start up vCenter even after the VM finishes booting, and sometimes it's very picky about logging in with DOMAIN\username instead of just username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I had it once with a Nexenta datastore. Had to reboot the Nexenta to fix it.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
What is the software license(s) to get these days for a small VMWare environment (2 hosts). We got Essentials (not Plus) last year over my objections of it not having vMotion. Now I'm preparing a budget proposal and it seems like VMWare changed all the product names. Should I still be looking at just Essentials Plus? Can I get it cheaper through some kind of upgrade deal?

I only came here looking for license help and then saw all the talk about upgrades and got that sinking feeling. I've been neglecting my environment and I'm gonna have to get back up to speed again. :smith:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Thanks. Numbers like $5k give my boss panic attacks but I'll try again this time. Just gonna ask my rep for quotes on both options and see what happens.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

How much is your environment worth? Ballpark it. Is 5K really that much now?

Yeah, I know. Logic like that just bounces right off of him, like he can simply will the solution to cost less. I'm spending my time getting my financial situation in order while I have a steady paying job, and then I'll be looking for other work.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

In all fairness, if you work for a VERY small shop, $5K could be a big investment. (My last job was at a company with 10 people, under $1M annual revenue, and I was the only sysadmin, so I can relate.)

Yes, VMware upgrades were a bitch with having to manually down guests, move them around, and so on, which meant the VMware hosts only got upgraded about once every eighteen months, but it's at least vaguely possible.

We aren't that small and there's really no excuse for nickel and diming the infrastructure except that we're a non-profit and anything more than $5k has to be approved by the board.

Thanks for the input on the licensing and the unsolicited career advice. I'm going to put off upgrading from 5.0 until we upgrade our storage from RAID 5 SATA drives and have working backups of all the VMs, not just the most important ones. :toot:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Caged posted:

Just checking in to say I've completed a migration at work from 3x Dell 2950s running the free ESXi and local storage to 3x R520s with 96GB RAM each, dual Xeon E5-2450 and an HP P2000 G3 SAN with the vSphere Essentials Plus kit and finished the migration off this evening. Sort of learnt by doing over the past few years but will be hanging around in here to hopefully help out people in similar situations and pick up some tips for larger deployments.

How much did all of that cost, if you don't mind sharing? I need more reasons to hate the stupid purchasing decisions my boss has made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Kachunkachunk posted:

Yeah, true enough. But if it's a backup product that leverages a helper VM of sorts (like BackupExec), and that helper VM for some reason did not detach the disk of a VM it was backing up, consolidating and deleting snapshots won't help you. You can then just start looking at your backup helper VMs' configurations right away and see if any of them are still attached to your problem VM's disks.

Just ran into something like this today. Somehow PHDVirtual hosed up and two of my VMs had 100+ snapshots that weren't showing up in the snapshot manager. I had to turn off all the backup appliances before it would let me consolidate.

VMware upgrade question:
I've got a small, lovely vSphere 5.0 environment. We don't use any of the features of vCenter/vSphere/vWhatever since it's a non-Plus Essentials license. Would it be stupid to "upgrade" to 5.5 by replacing the 5.0 vCenter VM with the 5.5 vCSA? I haven't read all the documentation for installing 5.5 yet but I'm hoping I could just shut off the 5.0 vCenter VM, connect directly to a host and deploy the 5.5 vCSA and re-add all the VMs to the inventory.