Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Unfortunately that doesn't tell me anything about the cost to actually use the option to add an additional CPU license, while I'd assume that it's (hopefully) less than the cost of a new vCenter Std instance, I'd be nice to know that ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Wicaeed posted:

For those in the know, how quickly can VMware become prohibitively expensive?
Depends what the project or plans entail. If you buy what you don't need it can be very expensive, while others not so much. You also need to leverage the value of your planned environment, such as HA benefits, loss of hardware dependencies, vMotion/Storage, deploy costs savings for new servers/services, etc

quote:

I understand that it would be quite a leap for them to go from a 500 dollar-per-cluster cost ( we already have hardware, mostly), having not really been paying anything for virtualization at the beginning of this year (we had maybe five or six standalone vSphere servers running a total of maybe 50 VMs), to 3 (planned) standalone vCenter Essentials clusters (w/ 3 hosts each) running in the office.
Depends what you need to do in your new virtual environment.

If all you need is vMotion, Storage vMotion, High Availibility, vSphere standard is a good choice
If you want power saving features like DPM, or automated load balancing, Enterprise is good
If you need more overhead into storage network Enterprise plus is also good.

Remember you can always upgrade standard=>enterprise/+, essenstials Kits not so much..

Acceleration kits Are a good value and are expandable, unlike essentials which are locked to 3 hosts.

quote:

I'm curious to find out how prohibitive the cost is to go from that single, standalone vCenter Essentials cluster at 500 dollars, to something that would support 3 VMware clusters running on a single vCenter instance. Do the Essentials kits even support upgrading/adding on licenses that would allow you to add hosts or would you have to start at vSphere Standard and start using the scalable licensing?

Go through a reseller and get a quote. Just don't let them shove Enterprise plus down your throat if you don't need it, Nitr0's post has a nice comparison of everything, find what you feel your environment needs.

Wicaeed posted:

Unfortunately that doesn't tell me anything about the cost to actually use the option to add an additional CPU license, while I'd assume that it's (hopefully) less than the cost of a new vCenter Std instance, I'd be nice to know that ahead of time.

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/pricing.html

Keep in mind most of this is MSRP, your VAR/Reseller may have deals adjustable prices

Serfer posted:

I don't see what else you could tell from it, but:

Was originally 4.1 ESX by chance upgraded to 5.0=>5.1?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 11, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The power and cooling savings alone are ridiculous when you get that kind of density.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

The power and cooling savings alone are ridiculous when you get that kind of density.

Yeah not to mention reduced port count/switch cost, wiring, total size, warranties, power draw.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Wicaeed posted:

For those in the know, how quickly can VMware become prohibitively expensive?

I kicked off a virtualization initiative about three months ago when our parent company decided to come in with a project to build almost 150 new instances of their software for testing, without really giving us a lot of heads up. I'm not really sure what they expected to happen because A: we don't have the power, cooling or data requirements to actually put in 150 new physical servers and B: We don't have 150 new servers to put in for testing.

Fortunately we did have some spare hardware that I was able to build a new VMware cluster on, and spec it out quite beefily (192GB RAM per host in a 3 host cluster). For now we are running on the vCenter Essentials kit (the 500 dollar one), and the higher-ups (my boss) are quite impressed as to what we accomplished on such short notice. There is now an initiative to virtualize most of our office servers (maybe 20-30 other servers) when we rebuild our network.

I understand that it would be quite a leap for them to go from a 500 dollar-per-cluster cost ( we already have hardware, mostly), having not really been paying anything for virtualization at the beginning of this year (we had maybe five or six standalone vSphere servers running a total of maybe 50 VMs), to 3 (planned) standalone vCenter Essentials clusters (w/ 3 hosts each) running in the office.

I'm curious to find out how prohibitive the cost is to go from that single, standalone vCenter Essentials cluster at 500 dollars, to something that would support 3 VMware clusters running on a single vCenter instance. Do the Essentials kits even support upgrading/adding on licenses that would allow you to add hosts or would you have to start at vSphere Standard and start using the scalable licensing?

Throw that poo poo in Amazon. We moved something simlar to AWS, and we're saving assloads of money. Bring it up... test... bring it down. pay by the hour.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just checking in to say I've completed a migration at work from 3x Dell 2950s running the free ESXi and local storage to 3x R520s with 96GB RAM each, dual Xeon E5-2450 and an HP P2000 G3 SAN with the vSphere Essentials Plus kit and finished the migration off this evening. Sort of learnt by doing over the past few years but will be hanging around in here to hopefully help out people in similar situations and pick up some tips for larger deployments.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 12, 2013

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Was originally 4.1 ESX by chance upgraded to 5.0=>5.1?
Yeah, it started as 4.1 or 4.0 ESXi, upgraded to 5.0, then 5.1. That was a 5.1 to 5.1u1a upgrade there.

It also happened on the original 5.1 or 5.0 upgrade, in a different location, this is just happening every time now.

Serfer fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 12, 2013

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Caged posted:

Just checking in to say I've completed a migration at work from 3x Dell 2950s running the free ESXi and local storage to 3x R520s with 96GB RAM each, dual Xeon E5-2450 and an HP P2000 G3 SAN with the vSphere Essentials Plus kit and finished the migration off this evening. Sort of learnt by doing over the past few years but will be hanging around in here to hopefully help out people in similar situations and pick up some tips for larger deployments.

How much did all of that cost, if you don't mind sharing? I need more reasons to hate the stupid purchasing decisions my boss has made.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We're in the UK so these prices are ex VAT and in GBP. SAN with 10x 600GB 2.5" SAS disks and 12 3.5" 1TB NLSAS and switches was £12500 about 8 months ago, VM hosts were just over £4000 each and bought last week. Software license was £1500 with production support since we are education, but I think it's still pretty cheap if you aren't.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is there any service that provides test lab VMs for a nominal fee?

I'm working on certifications and am running a few server VMs on my home computer, but it chugggggs along and I hardly get anything done. Having a VM on a dedicated server farm that I can remote to would be fantastic. Does such a service exist?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Am I missing something or is Windows Azure exactly what you want? 90 day trial as well so you can probably get the certs before you need to pay anything.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Caged posted:

Am I missing something or is Windows Azure exactly what you want? 90 day trial as well so you can probably get the certs before you need to pay anything.

How did I never know this existed :stare:

Thanks!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Serfer posted:

Yeah, it started as 4.1 or 4.0 ESXi, upgraded to 5.0, then 5.1. That was a 5.1 to 5.1u1a upgrade there.

It also happened on the original 5.1 or 5.0 upgrade, in a different location, this is just happening every time now.

Darn I was going to ask the capacity of the boot partion, I've seen some weird errors

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Also anyone who is curious Updating this thread during VMworld.

E; Ahh gently caress thought I hit edit

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
I'm trying to learn Hyper-V, so I installed the core version on a small server I have here at home. I have a couple 3tb drives that I put in it for storage drives. Problem is, while Hyper-v can tell that they are 3tb drives, it will only format them as 2tb drives. Is there anything I can do do fix this?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Sounds like you used MBR partitions instead of GPT, check that first?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Gnomedolf posted:

I'm trying to learn Hyper-V, so I installed the core version on a small server I have here at home. I have a couple 3tb drives that I put in it for storage drives. Problem is, while Hyper-v can tell that they are 3tb drives, it will only format them as 2tb drives. Is there anything I can do do fix this?

if you are in the learning stages I would vouch for not starting with Core. But yeah they are probably MBR, they need to be GPT.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

if you are in the learning stages I would vouch for not starting with Core. But yeah they are probably MBR, they need to be GPT.

Core isn't terrible as long as you have a Windows 8 machine to administer it from. And if you can jump through all of the irritating hoops to make the two trust each other without a domain back-end. I still haven't tried SMB 3.0 as shared storage, any one have any horror stories?

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
I hadn't used diskpart in a long time, but using Core made me dredge all that old info up. The drives now format at full capacity once I figured out how to make them GPT. Thanks for the info.

And yes, setting up Core in a workgroup environment is a bit of a pain, but there are a couple Youtube video walkthru's that take you right through it. The biggest annoynce is that if I want to create a new VM, I have to run the commands from the Core. Trying to do it via Hyper-V Manager causes the new VM wizard to hang when creating the VHD. It was addressed in the video, so it must be a common thing if you're using it in a workgroup.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
Another question: One of my VM's is a Server 2012 Essentials VM with a local domain. I have joined other VM's to the domain. Is it okay to add the Server Core to the domain?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Gnomedolf posted:

Another question: One of my VM's is a Server 2012 Essentials VM with a local domain. I have joined other VM's to the domain. Is it okay to add the Server Core to the domain?

If I'm understanding what you want to do correctly, this will be fine right up until the day the essentials vm has a problem and you can't log into the server core installation that is running it because it can't contact the domain controller which is a virtual machine that is supposed to be running under it but isn't.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

thebigcow posted:

If I'm understanding what you want to do correctly, this will be fine right up until the day the essentials vm has a problem and you can't log into the server core installation that is running it because it can't contact the domain controller which is a virtual machine that is supposed to be running under it but isn't.

OK, thanks.

Next question: I'm running the R2 Preview of Hyper-V 2012 Core. Will there be an in-place upgrade for it when the final is released? Or will it be a fresh install?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gnomedolf posted:

OK, thanks.

Next question: I'm running the R2 Preview of Hyper-V 2012 Core. Will there be an in-place upgrade for it when the final is released? Or will it be a fresh install?
Microsoft traditionally hasn't had a supported upgrade path from prerelease to RTM versions, including with Windows 8. I don't suspect 2012 R2 will change this policy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is it possible to run microsoft hyper-v server 2012 r2 inside of virtualbox? I'm guessing no, but just checking. 8.1 and 2012r2 run just fine on my laptop. I just wanted to see if I could...go deeper. Laptop is an ivy bridge thinkpad with vt-d enabled (i5-3320m).

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

Is it possible to run microsoft hyper-v server 2012 r2 inside of virtualbox? I'm guessing no, but just checking. 8.1 and 2012r2 run just fine on my laptop. I just wanted to see if I could...go deeper. Laptop is an ivy bridge thinkpad with vt-d enabled (i5-3320m).

You should be able to run hyper-v within virtual box, as long as vt-x/"Virtualization support" is enabled in the bios.

Same goes for Xen or ESXi

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

You should be able to run hyper-v within virtual box, as long as vt-x/"Virtualization support" is enabled in the bios.

Same goes for Xen or ESXi

I'm pretty sure that Virtualbox doesn't do nested virt, and Hyper-V requires it. Like KVM, but unlike ESXi and Xen, though both of those have limitations without it -- ESXi won't do 64 bit guests, Xen won't do HVM.

I'm also pretty sure that Hyper-V won't do nested virt. So your options for running Hyper-V inside of something else are:

ESXi (not practical on a laptop)
KVM with nested virt (you probably don't want this as a Windows user)
Pay for Workstation, which will actually do it

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Ah okay, I haven't used virtualbox in quite some time

Use VMplayer
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ah okay, I haven't used virtualbox in quite some time

Use VMplayer
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

You could link to documentation instead of a random product link, but I'm guessing that you didn't actually check whether or not Player supports nested virt before you suggested it.

The feature set of Player isn't comparable to Workstation, and it's not even really comparable to VirtualBox (other than the fact that it does nested virt). For random playing around, it's fine, but Workstation is still a better choice if you want to do anything moderately complicated, like setting up VM teams to test Hyper-V live migration/etc.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

You could link to documentation instead of a random product link, but I'm guessing that you didn't actually check whether or not Player supports nested virt before you suggested it.

Well i thought he wanted to run Hyper-v in 2012

Seems to run for me, I don't know about doing Player=>2012=>additional hypervisors, but to me it looked like he was asking about just running it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I can get it running using a free VM client and poke around, fantastic. I may try and launch a freedos vm to see if it will BSOD, but mainly I'm curious to poke around with a free version of Windows that offers NIC teaming. Looks like I will need to get newer hardware if I want to play with the hyper-v portion of the OS.

Thanks all.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Seems to run for me, I don't know about doing Player=>2012=>additional hypervisors, but to me it looked like he was asking about just running it.

What I meant is what nested virt actually needs to be enabled before you can start a Hyper-V guest (ESXi does not have this restriction because it'll still do binary translation), and enabling it is not immediately obvious.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a best practices guide for P2V an NT4 Workstation? Specifically what I'd need to do to switch from a physical SCSI disk on a no-name SCSI card to whatever VMware Workstation can support.

I realize NT4 is basically dead at this point, but I've got a Pentium 166-something running some archaic but critical data processing software in one of the physics labs I look after. I'd really prefer not to be in panic mode when this thing inevitably bites the dust.

I've done a precautionary raw disk dump of the 1gb SCSI disk, but as expected when I try to import it into a custom VM in Workstation and Fusion I get the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD. I'm not really sure what the best practices would be for telling NT4 that it's running on a bone stock IDE drive now instead of a SCSI disk on some old SCSI card.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Martytoof posted:

Is there a best practices guide for P2V an NT4 Workstation? Specifically what I'd need to do to switch from a physical SCSI disk on a no-name SCSI card to whatever VMware Workstation can support.

I realize NT4 is basically dead at this point, but I've got a Pentium 166-something running some archaic but critical data processing software in one of the physics labs I look after. I'd really prefer not to be in panic mode when this thing inevitably bites the dust.

I've done a precautionary raw disk dump of the 1gb SCSI disk, but as expected when I try to import it into a custom VM in Workstation and Fusion I get the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD. I'm not really sure what the best practices would be for telling NT4 that it's running on a bone stock IDE drive now instead of a SCSI disk on some old SCSI card.

vCenter Converter doesn't support NT or 2k as targets any longer. Your best bet is to get the relatively ancient VMware Server, ESX 3/3.4/4.0, or something of a similar era along with an old version of converter (3.0.3 should work) and P2V it onto Server then move the VMDK to your current vSphere environment. Let vCenter Converter handle the uglies of telling NT4 all the things that have changed.

Clonezilla, Acronis, and other solutions may be able to get you to an intermediate step that you can import into vSphere (I've never tried), but it's probably not worth the effort to gently caress with them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I will give the old server a shot, thanks!

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

Misogynist posted:

Microsoft traditionally hasn't had a supported upgrade path from prerelease to RTM versions, including with Windows 8. I don't suspect 2012 R2 will change this policy.

That's a bummer. I guess I'll wait until it nears the expiration date and then reinstall. Has there been any unsupported methods of upgrading from Preview? This is just my lab at home, so I'm not worried about production stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK in case anyone is in my shoes and has to P2V a terrible NT4 workstation, I was having some trouble with the old VMware converters, so I did the following, which is probably eight kinds of roundabout and not-recommended, but it got me up and running:

I had a physical dd dump of the SCSI hard drive from the NT4 workstation. I used qemu-img to convert it to vmdk since I was having no luck using VMware's commandline tools.

Create a new custom virtual machine in Fusion based on existing vmdk. This defaulted to type IDE. Boot VM to make sure NT at least attempts to load. It does, but will likely fail on INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE if you used any sort of exotic disk controller.

Now you need to find out what driver your boot device used. It'll be in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS. Mine was ql510.sys or something like that. This is probably the hardest part since you might have no loving idea.

Find a boot CD ISO that will let you edit an NTFS file system, or otherwise mount your vmdk. I'm on a Mac so I just used that nt password reset boot disk that everyone's tried at some point.

To get my system to boot I just copied ql510.sys to _ql510.sys, then copied ATAPI.SYS over top of ql510.sys.

After that everything booted fine. Just installed VMware Tools and everything seems to be hunky dory.

I realize this is a huge hack, but it might come in handy. There is probably a better way to change the boot device driver without having access to the running OS (which technically I do, but I don't want to make any changes to the live machine) but I'm not really familiar with the ins and outs of NT4.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm about to leave my current position, but before I do they finally gave me $3k for a machine to run ESXi instead of borrowing space on the corporate machines.

It'll run 3-4 VMs at most which will mostly be Linux performing kernel compiles, toolchain development, FPGA simulation, etc. No real application servers. I think I want to optimize for CPU performance (lots of fast cores if possible though if it comes down to it I'd trade clock speed for more cores), and maybe some SSDs for the OSes.

My gut is to go shopping for a PowerEdge or similar for a twin-socket Xeon configuration, is there something else I should be doing?

e: and I need to see if our IT department will give us rack space, so no idea if it's a tower or rackomunt yet.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

movax posted:

I'm about to leave my current position, but before I do they finally gave me $3k for a machine to run ESXi instead of borrowing space on the corporate machines.

It'll run 3-4 VMs at most which will mostly be Linux performing kernel compiles, toolchain development, FPGA simulation, etc. No real application servers. I think I want to optimize for CPU performance (lots of fast cores if possible though if it comes down to it I'd trade clock speed for more cores), and maybe some SSDs for the OSes.

My gut is to go shopping for a PowerEdge or similar for a twin-socket Xeon configuration, is there something else I should be doing?

e: and I need to see if our IT department will give us rack space, so no idea if it's a tower or rackomunt yet.

For something like that it really comes just down to how much beefy HW you can get for your buck. Dell or HP would be fine, ML350's are pretty decent for the price, I'd probably lean to whichever vendor they use most commonly however.

Dell will give you a T320/E5-2407/32GB ram/4x600GB@15K drives/H710 raid controller w/ 512MB cache for ~2780

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 17, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

For something like that it really comes just down to how much beefy HW you can get for your buck. Dell or HP would be fine, ML350's are pretty decent for the price, I'd probably lean to whichever vendor they use most commonly however.

Dell will give you a T320/E5-2407/32GB ram/4x600GB@15K drives/H710 raid controller w/ 512MB cache for ~2780

Yeah, I started looking at the T420/T620 for some twin E5-2430 action. I need to double-check the appropriate amount of DIMMs though as Dell's configurator is confusing me and the last Xeon platform I designed had the memory channels purposefully curtailed. I think giving each CPU 2x8GB DIMMs at least is a decent start (that and ESXi maxes out at 32GB for the free version)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How dramatic of a speed decrease will I see if I store my VM on a network drive, which is a rotational HDD, if both machines are Gig-E?

Once the machine boots on the remote machine, it seems that there's no performance hit unless you're doing sustained data-intensive read/write ops.

This is for home use, not production.