Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've been running Plex on an RPi4 since the 4 was released. It's great for one transcode at a time, which is about all i have outbound bandwidth for anyhow.

I also have it running Nextcloud (which is just barely usable, probably because PHP), transmission, an Atlas probe, and some custom software to rip and transcode optical media. It's also routing traffic for five VLANs to two upstream ISPs. The only reason I can get away with all this because everything is usually idle.

I'm also concerned about power use, and this is a great solution. So I'm gonna go with yes, you can run Plex on it 😉

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

I'm also concerned about power use, and this is a great solution.

E: I should add, i run whole rear end servers for a living. Squeezing all this out of a computer the size of a wallet is my hobby. Don't tell me how to live my life, dad.

Ee: all this crap is running in Docker swarm so I'm already doing what you suggested anyhow :colbert:

Eee: also it's all tucked away under an end table, which is an important consideration in this small house.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 19, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

xzzy posted:

I motivate everyone to start buying power squids instead of traditional power strips, technically it's more wire but you get to use 100% of your outlets which is a huge upside.

I'm really looking forward to more things using USB PD, so I no longer have 58 wall warts vying for space.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SamDabbers posted:

USB PD is magical and every device up to 100W should implement it.

USB C 2.1 goes up to 240W!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

gourdcaptain posted:

Thanks. Unfortunately, the Zero W I have doesn't have the pin headers installed and I don't have the tools for that, but I'll if I can do anything on that front too.

I'm going to second that it sounds like it's time for you to invest in a soldering iron. For this job, even a bad soldering job will be good enough.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

wolrah posted:

I have no idea what the quality level is on modern cheap irons, but anecdotally the Radio Shack "My First Soldering Kit" iron I got as a kid still worked last time I tried it even after 25 years of neglect and improper use.

There's not much to go wrong with a heating element with a handle screwed to a chunk of metal.

Oh, there's plenty that can go wrong with it, just ask any parent with upholstered furniture.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

xzzy posted:

My pi projects are typically "remote computing off the grid" type solutions so it's a lot of battery power and worrying what I do if the pi shreds it's SD card because the battery died and it had an unclean shutdown.

I've been lucky so far, but someday it's gonna bite me and I need to come up with a way to reimage a card (along with my code) in the middle of nowhere. Or carry a backup SD card.

This is my hobby, although it's just at home. But doing things low-power turns up the difficulty setting until it's a game I want to play.

I'm personally really looking forward to a production release of Flatcar for the RPi: the bulk of the OS is on a read-only mount that power outages won't disturb. Then it should be pretty easy to back up the read/write parts, because they're isolated, without chewing up a ton of backup space. In my situation, everything is deployed as a docker swarm, so I'd just redeploy it if I ever had to rebuild the r/w partition.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Have any goons tried to get flatcar container linux running on their Pi? If not, I may be the first in a week or so here.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SamDabbers posted:

To start with, you'll need a subwoofer.

You're going to want some wire, too.

cruft fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 18, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DammitJanet posted:

I've got a Raspberry Pi 2 model B running RetroPie that I've been using for MAME/NES/SNES/Genesis playing for several years now.

I've got a spare wi-fi dongle that I could plug into it, but I'm not sure what I can use it for other than a little gaming box...that also has wi-fi? We do use Plex on our Roku to access the movies on my main PC, so maybe it could be used as a Plex receiver with another TV?

What the hell can/should I do with this thing?

You're asking what to do with a spare wifi dongle? I toss mine in a box with other components and pull it out once a year or so when I find myself needing a wifi dongle.

You didn't mention having a spare Pi, but if that's the case, buy yourself a 3D printer and run OctoPi :getin:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Heads up: there's no default username/password as of last night. This bit me in the rear end and I wound up reading through a ton of source code trying to get my Pi Zero to boot headless and let me log in.

You can now drop a file called "userconf.txt" in the boot partition to set up a username/password. I did not discover this last night, and gave up after 4 hours of trying to hack up the undocumented first boot shell script.

Anyway. Hope this saves someone else some frustration.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-bullseye-update-april-2022/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oldstench posted:

I have a Pi 3 B+ with Kodi running on it. I want to somehow set it up to dual boot into both Kodi and Raspbian so I can use it as a Parsec client for my PC. Is there a way to set up dual boot capabilities without wiping the SD card first? My Kodi install is finally (mostly) customized to how my wife and I like it and I really don't want to have to re-set it up.

Is there a reason you can't physically swap the microsd card?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oldstench posted:

I only have one SD card and didn't really want to buy another one just for this.

Far be it from me to diss somebody else's hobby project for being unnecessarily obtuse, unnecessarily obtuse is my jam.

Oldstench posted:

"gpio boot mode" looks like Linux nerd poo poo that I'm way too stupid to understand.

I think you should reconsider getting a second SD card.

E: a non-snarky answer:

The Raspberry Pi doesn't have anything like a boot loader. It does some funky thing where it uses the graphics chip to boot a ROM that reads the first FAT on the first partition of the SD card, parse the configuration file, and then hands things off to the kernel.

Nobody's really put the time into having multiple kernels/root partitions, because it's so much easier to just buy another SD card.

But if you wanted to do it, I think your first step would probably be to write a chain loader that allows you to select which kernel to boot, and then you can pass in the partition path for the rootfs, and that ought to do it. You might have to mount the same /boot in both operating systems, which could be problematic, so your next step will be to add filesystem code to mount the right boot fs and read the kernel from that.

So at a minimum you're going to be writing something like LILO from scratch. Mmmmaybe you can take an existing project like dasboot and hack it into service as a chain-loader. To get this looking something like GRUB is going to take a whole lot of work in ARM64 instructions, and your "Linux nerd poo poo" comment makes me think this might be a hobby project you're not going to have the stomach for.

But maybe you do! That would be an awesome contribution to the world and a lot of people would probably find a lot of reasons why they actually preferred this to buying a second SD card. Specifically industrial applications might find this extraordinarily useful.

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 28, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, I got butthurt. It's been a week. Thanks for being cool about it.

As spazzle mentioned, you should be able to run both UIs with just a plan Raspbian install. If I were doing this as my hobby project, that's the way I'd try to pull this off. Big advantage here is not having to maintain two operating systems.

The Kodi plugin for parsec makes it seem like maybe you can use LibreElec though? Or at least could... Worth investigating. LibreElec updates itself to some degree so it's ideal for a set top box that you want to just watch movies and not screw around installing security patches.

Anyway my advice is still to get that second SD card, but use it to try and figure a way to run both UIs without messing up the Kodi setup you've spent so long tuning. The pi is really well suited to this type of tinkering because it's so easy to swap out the "hard drive" for experimenting. Screwed something up big time? Just put the Kodi SD card back in and watch a movie to unwind.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Warbird posted:

People don’t consider “huge Linux nerd” a complement?

I've been dieting, okay? Trying to make it down to "large Linux nerd".

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

I think the big advantage of the Pico over the ESP32 is that you can connect it to a PC, mount it like a flash drive, and drop a Python program on it. No looking for COM ports. No need for an IDE even. Write some Python in a text editor, copy the file onto the Pico, make some lights flash.

I think it also has some stuff that makes creating a custom USB HID device pretty easy.

That describes half the boards sold by Adafruit

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

If there has already been an effort post with this information, please just let me know.

I would really be interested in setting up an emulation station (primarily NES, SNES, GBA, PSX and PS2). I know that Raspberry pi can do that kind of stuff but I'm pretty dumb when it comes to it. There are so many different kinds of Pis out there, I don't want to get the wrong one. Does anyone have a recommendation for:
Which Pi should I get?
Case
anything else that is necessary?

I have a controller already, I have a spare 128gb SSD just sitting around collecting dust that I would be able to use.

My brother in law has gotten very good at setting up Emulation Station on a RPi 3B+ and loading it down with way more games than cruft jr will ever play.

Most recent iteration was this handheld thing that looks like a chunky Nintendo Switch. I use it for a monitor now when something screws up on my RPi4 homelab server.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Comatoast posted:

I needed an Octoprint server but there are no pi’s to be had, so I discovered the HP S01 mini desktop with 10th gen Intel G5900 cpu. I picked up a couple off ebay for $100 each/average. If you don’t need the GPIO pins there isn’t much point in a pi at the moment.

This has got me wondering if I should try to find somebody to trade me a J4105-based system for my RPi4, since I don't use the GPIO pins and they seem to use about the same amount of power when idle.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Inept posted:

Tinkering is fun but if it's something for your mom just buy her another Wii for 30 bucks so it will work and not piss her off.

:emptyquote:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm a reformed embedded developer and I wish you godspeed, but please keep that thing away from me.

The horror... The horror...

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

I love this, very cool!

Wow, this is great, a tiny little thing you can drop on a hub and completely ruin DHCP!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hadlock posted:

There's not much value in hacking a pi

There's all sorts of crime that sees value in compromising any Internet-connected device. For instance, DDoS attacks.

Also, if you gain access to the LAN, it makes it much easier to go after other devices on the LAN, including the desktop everybody assumes is the high-value target (it isn't necessarily).

Please, everybody, stay on top of the security patches.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

I have a couple compute module 4's with eMMC. Hard to know how long they'll last though. I've been trying to go through and rip out everything extra from the raspberry pi lite install, but maybe I'm looking at it backwards.

Anybody have suggestions for a clean distro that behaves like some of the app-in-a-box distros (pihole, octopi) ie is setup for minimal/reduced writes out of the box? I really just need to install docker and network UPS tools. Maybe ntpd or chrony.

OpenWRT has a read-only / (on RPi4 only, for some reason), and a write-infrequently overlay filesystem. It does NTP out of the box, and docker is an installable package.

I just came to this realization in a search for pretty much the same thing.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

tuyop posted:

I'm trying to make a rocket telemetry module using a Pi Pico and this instructable. However, the Instructable is written for an Arduino and to save weight I want to power the whole module off of one or two CR2032 batteries using these holders.

You might want to ask in the Arduino thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505424) since I don't think the Pico runs Linux? right? I can't keep up.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think VSS would be your "battery in", and VBUS would be "whatever's leftover from the USB connection". 3V3(OUT) is probably "whatever's leftover from the microcontroller on the 3V side of on-board voltage regulator".

I have no guesses about what 3V3_EN might be.

VSS and VBUS are probably 5V. You can probably run that board at 3V like you want, but hopefully someone who's actually used one will chime in.

(You might get better replies in the Arduino thread :wink:)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

tuyop posted:

I wasn’t doing that intentionally, I don’t know what scl or sda are and I don’t know if there are specific pins for them 😳😳

SCL and SDA (and power and ground) make up the I²C bus. Most microcontrollers, including, apparently, this one, have built-in I²C support in some way. You can use this microcontroller support to more easily and efficiently communicate with I²C components than writing your own loops to "bit-bang" output on GPIO pins.

You're almost surely going to want to use the built-in I²C support of your microcontroller. It appears from the image you pasted that it has a pantload of pins for this, and they are, confusingly, only labeled "I2C0" and "I2C1", which to me reads like there are only two possibilities. There may be some sort of thing you need to do in order to tell the chip which of the, like, 13 (!) possible pairs of pins you want to actually enable for I²C control.

Have I mentioned the Arduino thread? It's just teeming with nerds who know a whole lot more about this stuff than the Linux system administrators in this one :)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I have a confession to make to the thread. I've caved and bought a ZimaBoard so I can run Flatcar Container Linux and get hardware video transcoding.

I'm sorry, thread. The RPi4 was a real champ, but at the end of the day, it's still just a little too weird for my use case.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

This rules, I have been kind of looking for a NUC-lite that is beefier than a RPi for a lot of edge connectivity things. I like how it has SATA built in!

I should be able to start playing with it next week. I'll report in with how it's going.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a great looking device, proper CPU and two NICs that don't involve a USB bus for cheap. Bit of a strange choice to use a DC jack rather than Type-C PD though.

It makes total sense, a barrel jack is tons cheaper and easier to design into the PCB. It's lame, but I wouldn't call it strange.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

Running off straight 12V also gives you more flexibility with battery backups, I'd assume.

This got me thinking, I know USB PD can deliver 12v...

Yep, there's a cable. Same amperage, too.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

In the old days it happened that labs got cds or dvds with linux updates in the mail, then installed them on a local repo server machine, and then you update your other machines from that server through the lan. I haven't actually heard of that done since before the first raspberry was built.
The capabilities are probably still there and inherited from debian to raspibian.
On the other hand that is how stuxnet got transmitted, so your IT might still not consider it acceptable.

After Solarwinds it's difficult to envision a secure method for distributing updates.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MikeJF posted:

What's the best pi-equiv with an x86?

You wanna buy my ZimaBoard?

The kernel keeps locking up when I do hardware h.264 transcoding and even though I'm sure it's software, I don't have time to debug it.

I'll sell it at a steep discount to a goon.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Linux box that can run Zoom (native bins only exist for x86 nix) that will sit hooked up to a TV.

Would that be appropriate? Shipping to Oz might be too much of a bother though.

Yeah, it has HDMI out up to 4k. It's a neat little box.

Shipping to Australia, dunno. I've been told it's a huge pain, never tried it. Maybe someone else ITT can advise.

Buying a used one of those old HP or Dell boxes that are a little bigger than a slice of bread might be your pro move.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ante posted:

Raspberry Pi: yeah we're pretty much all on desktops again

nice one

I probably should describe my experience with the ZimaBoard:

Works great. Faster than the RPi4. I'm getting some stupid lock-up associated with hardware video transcoding so I switched back to the RPi4, which uses 1/3 the power to fail to transcode videos realtime the same way the ZimaBoard would fail to. But maybe I can get a newer kernel on it someday.

Anyhow if small form factor and low(er) power use is important, this seems like a totally workable option. Cruft recommended.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Olly the Otter posted:

Thanks for the reply! Turns out the whole problem was a bad microUSB cable. I switched out the cable and tried again, and it worked fine! I was expecting it to be much more complicated than that.

I regret how my hours of my life I've wasted on what wound up being a bad cable.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've been transcoding videos for the last week or so on the Raspberry Pi 4. All four cores are pegged at 100% and I'm even offloading h264 encoding onto the hardware.

The case it's in is a gigantic heat sink. Like, the case is 100% heat sink. No fan. It's stayed under 70 degrees the entire time: right now it's at 66. GeekPi aluminum case in case anybody's interested.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

sb hermit posted:

If that's 66F then that's amazing. If that's 66C then that's also amazing but I had no idea that raspberry pis could run so hot and still be comfortable. I know that AMDs and Intels only start to worry at 80C but I had considered ARMs to be a bit more fragile.

Heh. 66C. The CPU starts to throttle itself when it hits 80, so there's a nice bit of thermal overhead here. I imagine I'd see a few more degrees in summer, but I still won't need a fan.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

That's why raspberry is the standard and the other chinesium clones are not: rPi did the work to upstream support and provide repos. They get closed-source binary drivers from broadcom and make them work for general linux.

Yes.

In fact Broadcomm was not known to be especially open-sourcey before this. I don't know what their reputation is now: there are still proprietary blobs required for the RPi. But the situation is much, much better post RPi than it was pre.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm frankly surprised you got any performance at all from a GUI running off an SD card. I tried this once for, like, a week.

The SD card is slow, and every operation's performance is going to be magnified. Is your filesystem close to filling up? That could impact I/O. Have you been doing any Internet activity with your browser / did you forget to install security patches? Maybe you have malware.

Check dmesg output: I expect you'd see some sort of message if you can no longer write to the SD card, but I'm not positive. I can tell you that if you're unable to write, there'd be a hell of a lot more problems than "just feels sluggish generally". So I'm inclined to think it's something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

poverty goat posted:

The desktop environment is as minimal as possible, it opens firefox on boot and has never been used for anything else. It never performed well, but it was usable enough to monitor progress, turn on/off the extruder for filament changes, or home/raise the extruder. Now an emergency stop will go through after a delay and the UI will never update to let me raise the extruder afterwards, etc. It went a few months without patches but was unused and not connectable from the outside for the duration, and updating everything was one of the first fixes I tried, so probably not malware I think. Also, there is lots of space available

thanks I will try this at some point

Okay.

Is there anything of interest in dmesg output?