Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Raygereio posted:

That was an error in the user guide that comes with the PI4.

But was it an error as in "oops that model doesn't actually exist" or "oops didn't mean to announce that yet"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Additionally you can power the Pi's through their GPIO headers, which are easier to work with than USB-C when doing something custom.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I hear that you can power the Pi (not just the 4) from two other pins but I heard somewhere else this is somehow less safe than going through the official charging port. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I would love to be wrong.

That's right, the Pi only has voltage regulation on the USB input so if you power it through other means you need to add your own regulator or be confident that your power supply is well regulated.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dren posted:

The faraday cage idea is one i hadn’t thought of, I like it. I wonder what would happen if I found the wifi chip’s spot on the board and just drilled a hole though it.

How about killing the antenna? The 3+ and 4 use a PCB antenna, cutting the traces with a scalpel should make the WiFi inoperable without being too invasive.

The antenna is this single trace coming out of the EMI shielding can:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jeff Fatwood posted:

They also forgot to add the 3.5mm jack on it which I only noticed yesterday so lol. Either have to use a TV, display with speakers/speaker out or bluetooth speakers. It's not the biggest deal but god drat it :negative:

A basic USB DAC would also do the trick if you have a spare port

Something like https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Adapter-Aluminum-Desktops/dp/B087T5H3MQ

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

brand engager posted:

That microcontroller thing seems pretty nice, no broadcom bullshit and they've got docs for the chip available thats a nice change.

Yeah I bet this is a trial run for rolling their own higher performance chip for the pi5 or pi6, to get away from Broadcom's NDA hell

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Modern (2012+) bluetooth audio codecs ought to be indistinguishable from cables if both sides speak Good Codec

Good Codec and Good Encoder, there's a whole thing where AAC encoder quality varies wildly between Android devices and is pretty much always worse than Apples

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MikusR posted:

Good thing that pihole is only useful on mobile devices

even on mobile it's nebulous since there are public adblocking DNS providers you can use instead of janitoring your own

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hopefully the Pi5 will just have an m.2 slot on the bottom, assuming the SoC they use has any spare PCIe lanes

They've implemented NVMe boot already but it's of very limited use for now since PCIe is only exposed on compute modules

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's a seemingly common fault on those where some of the HDMI pins are erroneously shorted to ground, so you must have got unlucky with QC twice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRNxv2CfLtI

Should be easy enough to fix if you have basic soldering gear though

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I just use NextDNS, it has similar functionality but hosted and free/cheap

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

finally they're breaking out some pcie lanes so you can put a real SSD on it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

What is the RP1-C0 thing they talk about at the end of the video?

a custom I/O chip which runs the USBs, ethernet and GPIOs

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Kinda annoying that you need an additional accessory hat to use it, rather than a m.2 slot on the back of the board like pretty much every pi-clone has done. Like, I don't know how they're possibly going to fit the heatsink plus a m.2 hat and a normal pi GPIO hat on there at once.

the official m.2 hat passes through the GPIOs but yeah a heatsink/fan isn't going to do much with this in the way

also the m.2 hat has to replicate the SWD/UART/fan interfaces since it blocks them otherwise, very awkward

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Cripes it can't fit a 2280?

:negative:

The model B form factor is 85mm long. That m.2 is offset enough that a 2280 will stick out past the end of the USB jacks. Aargh, you had one job!

third party case manufacturers can build something that accommodates a 2280 at least

per jeff geerlings video the PCIe header is officially only rated for 2.0x1 but the hardware can do 3.0x1 and that can be enabled with a boot flag at your own risk

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cellular cards wouldn't work with that hat, those are B key

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MikusR posted:

Below that picture is "Prototype M.2 HAT. Final hardware will not look like this."

oh i got it from videocardz and they neglected to include that information

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

im going to solder all of the jumpers to make a 15GB pi5

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Wonder if that's attached to the CPU via PCIe? Which brings up an interesting possibility: a raspberry pi GPIO accessory board for normal computers.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2023/10/07/raspberry-pi-rp1-datasheet-block-diagram/

they're running 4 lanes of PCIe between the SOC and the RP1, so the SOC has at least 5 lanes (1x + 4x?)

wonder if the inevitable compute module 5 will have the RP1 onboard, or just break out all of the PCIe lanes so the carrier can decide what to do with them

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the official case is just a plastic heat trap so it's not great, especially if you aren't running active cooling

there's some beefy passive heatsink cases which can soak a lot of watts

https://www.tomshardware.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-cases/edatec-raspberry-pi-5-cases-review-passively-cool

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

The reason the Pi is so popular is the effort that they put into making software work properly on it rather than shipping a bag of parts and going "lol you figure it out". If someone else decides to care about distro support on their small tinkering SBC then the Pi has almost no value.

pi isn't even the gold standard for ARM distro support, the server-class ARM systems from ampere or whoever have fully upstreamed drivers and UEFI firmware that lets them boot unmodified generic distros exactly like an x86 machine

the only company trying to scale that down to cheap SBCs is librecomputer but they're stuck with relatively old chips since they don't have the resources to work on upstreaming newer stuff

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

we need to do an inception on the CEO of ampere and plant the idea of making a small chip for "edge deployments"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

presumably h264ify which blocks youtube from serving vp8/vp9/av1 streams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if the lenses are anything like the ones used in VR you lose a lot of that brightness to the optics before it gets to your eyes