Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fuzz1111 posted:

Ordered one late wednesday night (there were 650 in stock), and it came midday today (friday).

One odd thing that I've noticed - my powered usb hub is capable of powering the pi the wrong way (via its uplink port and the pi's fullsize usb ports). I thought it was convenient at first but then I realised what side of the pi's board the powersupply bypass/filter cap is on (makes me wonder how much good it does when the power supply obviously isn't isolated from the usb power at all).

Yeah, really cheap powered hubs tend to provide power to the input. After finding USB devices inside the case of my regular tower had power while the machine was off, I decided to stop using cheap ones. I've already lost one motherboard to flaky USB controller issues (not a pi, just a computer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got a Raspberry Pi for Xmas with intention to use it as a set top box. I've been using an Nvidia Personal Cinema box for TV output for a long time (it came with a geforce 2 card so a very long time) and keeping a whole PC fired up just for tv output seemed silly with the current cost of power.

So, I grabbed a spare phone charger and cable that outputs 1 amp. I grabbed some old lego and made a case (it's ugly since my 20+ year old lego is all different colors, but I have a molded case ordered). I put OpenElec on an old 2gb SD card and popped it in, hooked up a spare keyboard, plugged it into the TV and it's working great so far. I've only thrown lower definition videos at it so far because I don't have a HDTV, but they're all really clear and except when first loading a streaming video, it's very responsive. The only thing that kind of sucks is the text display on my CRT television is pretty annoying to read, but so far, all of the video I'm playing back is perfect.

My current setup is accessing media over a samba share and controlling the raspi with Yatse on my android phone. I'll probably decommission my old media box soon and just move all of the file streaming over to my NAS. My favorite thing about it all is that the raspberry pi uses so little power and gets so much done, and I won't even need a special controller for it. Now I just need some more for more projects.

If I want to display HD quality video in the future, I gather that there's a few things that are suggested in the thread so far, but I'd like some confirmation from folks currently doing this. I've read that using analog audio and not HDMI audio can cause the PC to have to do more processing and slow things down. I've also read that some folks overclock the raspberry pi. If you overclock, do you need to add a little heatsink to the cpu? Mine's currently running at about 131F according to the system info in OpenElec and this doesn't seem too hot for a full tilt CPU, but I figure it could get quite a bit hotter if it gets overclocked.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

frumpsnake posted:

It's not an analog vs HDMI thing, more of whether or not you have a setup that can decode DTS audio without the Raspberry Pi having to do it. Both involve HDMI.

If you're passing through to an HDMI receiver, this isn't a problem, but if you're hooking your Pi directly to TV, they typically only accept Dolby Digital/AC3 and uncompressed PCM audio, meaning the DTS has to be decoded to uncompressed LPCM in software.

It will depend on whether or not the Raspberry Pi is playing from locally or over the network, and what protocol it is using, but with a decent overclock you should be able to get DTS decoding working, provided the CPU is not doing anything else at the time like a library update.
I run mine overclocked at "Medium" (arm_freq=900/core_freq=333/sdram_freq=450/over_voltage=2) and there's a pretty minimal difference in temperatures both with/without heatsinks and with/without overclocking. You'd probably be fine at up to 950, and after that you're probably risking SD corruption anyway.

I've never seen it get past 65'C with a big overclock and inside a case, and both when idle and during video playback (if you're not decoding audio) it's quite a bit lower. That's 20'C of headroom.

Thanks for the advice, it may be a while before I get a better TV but I was curious about some of the things I had read. This clears them up!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Exergy posted:

Are there any sites where raspberry is both in stock and is close to promised $35? They expect 7200 units on Feb 6 in Newark/element14, but I don't know how quickly it will be gone, as it seems that interest is still high. Basically I am trying to understand if I should wait almost a month for a 10min buying window or just pay more.

Newark says they have 1 in stock right now http://www.newark.com/jsp/bespoke/b...ypi-Accessories (it seems to vary but they have stock) and there's a free shipping code JANFF. I read about the code: http://slickdeals.net/f/5780490-Raspberry-Pi-512mb-Model-B-Back-in-Stock-Newark-35-w-FS but haven't used it myself.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

blackflare posted:

My raspberry pi just shipped last week, and it looks like it's arriving within a few more days :woop: I originally bought it as a little dev box to try and learn python with. After skimming through this thread a bit though, I'm curious if I can learn more from it. Basically 80% of this thread I can't make any kind of sense out of and I wish to remedy that. What can I use the GPIO for? Are there any interesting educational materials based around the rpi yet?

GPIO pins are general purpose input/output pins intended to interface with whatever electronics stuff you might hook up to them. They're often used to interface with sensors, LEDs, microcontrollers and the like. A good starting resource for the Raspi is the Raspberry Pi Educational Manual. It has sections for learning Scratch, Python, GPIO stuff and Linux command line things. It looks like they're going to add sections for Greenfoot and GeoGebra in the future, neither of which I know about.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2965

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lifehacker is doing a series of articles this week about the Raspberry Pi:

quote:

It's Raspberry Pi week at Lifehacker, and for the next five days we'll be showing you some cool DIY projects you can put together with this little miracle of a device. If you haven't bought one yet, check out the first section below to learn more about what it is, what you'll need, and the cool stuff you can do with one.
A Beginner’s Guide to DIYing with the Raspberry Pi

Turn a Raspberry Pi Into an XBMC Media Center in Under 30 Minutes

Turn a Raspberry Pi into a Personal VPN for Secure Browsing Anywhere You Go

Turn a Raspberry Pi Into an AirPlay Receiver for Streaming Music in Your Living Room

There are going to be a few more articles but these are the ones up so far. Their list of all Raspberry Pi articles (which should get the new ones added) is here:
http://lifehacker.com/raspberrypi/

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 24, 2013

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jago posted:

What kind of performance does a rasp pi have as a file server? I just did a bad test by copying a bunch of tiny files off my xbmc pi and it was going just over a megabyte. Not really fast enough. Does it work better using a USB disk and NFS(and not running xbmc)?

It doesn't have particularly fast ethernet or USB controllers so I wouldn't expect a whole lot. Its size and cost makes it a decent fileserver if you need something portable but for home use I'd still go with the Packrats unite! The consumer NAS/storage megathread suggestions.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MohawkSatan posted:

First post from my Pi. My only problem now is the lovely old TV I'm using as a monitor can only display 800x600 before things get hosed up. It's damned near i,possible to read even at 1024x768(which I'm using now).

Welp, back to 800x600, and all the screwing around that ensues. On a related note, any know a good cheap LCD screen that's easy to work with? I'm planing on building this thing into an old cigar case I have, screen and all.

There's a few options for lcds that take composite in that are made for portable systems or car dvd players. The main problem is that they're not that high resolution, but there's a good selection of various kinds in the $50-80 range.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

So I'm thinking here… I know the Pi isn't powerful to run a bus-powered USB hard drive, however I've got an 80GB Intel 2nd Generation SSD here. You guys think that would run reliably off the Pi's USB?

It's worth trying, but if there are problems you can always put a powered hub on the USB port which completely negates any power issues.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

Okay, can someone clarify GPIO voltage tolerance for me? I keep seeing people say the GPIO is 3v3 only and to never, ever hook 5v up to it or it'll explode. That completely contradicts my experience with it so far.

I picked up a cheap USB to TTL UART adapter from Amazon, based on the PL2303HX chipset.
(Side Note: For $6 it's really nice. Came with a loopback jumper and two sets of leads [M/F+M/M], plus it has 5v and 3v3 outputs for powering small circuits directly!)

I've been using it to console into the RPi for the last week and it's worked flawlessly. I happened to have my multimeter out last night so I decided to see what voltage was going across the TX and RX pins.

Adapter TX --> RPi RX = 5v
RPi TX --> Adapter RX = 3.3v

That got me thinking, so I pulled out an old SR-04 ultrasonic distance module I've had, but never tried to use with the RPi because the echo pin outputs 5v and I didn't think it would work. Wired it up (with a 1k resistor between the echo (output) and GPIO pin to be safe), wrote some quick Python code and it works fine!

So it seems to me the GPIO can handle 5v just fine. Am I missing something?

It may be worth getting a logic level converter to use your 5v stuff with the 3.3V Raspi:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8745
http://adafruit.com/products/395

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

I'm going to be getting a (hopefully) used RPI to use as a file server for some ZFS disks (doable according to http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2012/10/zfs-file-system-on-raspberry-pi.html). One disk is ZFS, another isn't, I want to pull the stuff off the ZFS disk to format it into something other OSes can read, but for now, I need the support.

My question is does anyone have a good idea how I can set up a one power cord storage solution for 2-3 drives and the board? Has anyone done this with a Pi yet?

If you're hooking the drives up to the raspi, you will probably be doing so with USB to sata adapters of some kind (either external cases or something else) since it has no connectors for storage beyond USB and SD cards. If they're 3.5" drives they probably want an external power source, if they're 2.5" they may be powered by two USB connectors. A single cord solution for the 2.5" drives and the raspi will be a good powered USB hub. For the full sized drives you're going to need some external power supplies. If you absolutely need a single cord, you might be able to jury rig an ATX power supply to run sata power for the drives and also one of those in-case USB hubs to power the raspberry pi. It's a clunky solution, though, you would spend less on a power strip.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TVarmy posted:

I'm finding I am really into web stuff more with the pi than the hdmi/gpio things. Are there any sub $100 low power, low noise computers that can run a LAMP stack with preferably a real sata port for a proper hard drive?

I'd like it to handle things like tiny tiny reader, sabnzb, quassel iirc, bit torrent, and being a file server. It seems like disk io and processing are limiting factors for the response times. Of the above, I tried quassel, and sometimes there was 3-4 second latency.

Really, a monitor port would even be optional. I'd want to run it headless.

A built in Wi-Fi or Ethernet port would be nice, but I can get dongles.

Some of the embedded x86 development boards include sata and the like, but they tend to be a bit more expensive than what you're looking for. You might want to consider a mini-itx form factor motherboard with a built-in CPU to run as a server. It won't break any speed records but they often run without a heatsink fan (or with a small one) and are basically a standard x86 or x86-64 pc. The only issue is that while they're low power, they usually still take standard pc power and will need a (small) case and power supply. I bought an epia 933mhz board that was used on ebay for around $50 which included a 512MB stick of ram. I got a $40 case with psu for it and it's been serving as my router with m0n0wall loaded on a compact flash card. It's actually overkill for that use but it gets hundreds of days of uptime and I don't have to reset it like most boxed routers.

For new models here are some examples:
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Inte...ywords=mini+itx
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Celeron-Mini-ITX-Motherboard-C8HM70-I/dp/B00APL76WO/ref=sr_1_64?ie=UTF8&qid=1372627251&sr=8-64&keywords=mini+itx
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-D2500CC...ywords=mini+itx

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

keyvin posted:

I bought a UPS for my pi. External cell phone battery extender. Works great. Using a kill-o-watt I have calculated that replacing my PC that acted as a shell server with a Pi has saved me enough now to break even on the purchase of a Pi. Which means in another couple of months I can justify buying another one to do god knows what with. Has anyone tried running zone minder and a single IP camera on the Pi? I want to put up a camera on the cheap to keep watch on my car.

I haven't tried this myself, but I have been considering trying it out. Having a whole low cost PC as a camera adds a lot of functionality.

There are a lot of posts out there with people's raspi serving USB webcams for surveillance. The most recent one I read used the raspberry pi camera board and the shell of a fake security camera:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5071

The linked article has descriptions of how they configured the software to record at 2 frames per second when triggered by motion.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've bought from Newark Element 14 and resellers on Amazon (sold with amazon prime etc). The one from Element 14 died within two weeks somehow and I was able to send it back for a full refund (they sent me a shipping label). The one from Amazon got crushed in shipping and was also covered by them (with a shipping label) and they sent me another. The main difference for me was that Amazon shipped more quickly but didn't package it as well.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

For a broad and not deep intro there's also the Raspberry Pi Education Manual:
http://store.raspberrypi.com/projects/casmanual

It goes over Scratch (more oriented at teaching programming concepts to kids but it's neat), Python, some stuff with the GPIO pins and some Linux. It's not a bad intro but I'd skip stuff you're not interested in.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Puddin posted:

Maybe I'm just stupid but where in openelec can I update the system? Still stuck on 3.2.2 and I keep getting the notification pop up that there's an update but I can't find in the settings menu where to update it?

It's supposed to do them automatically if it's selected. I've had no luck getting that to work so I usually do it manually by opening its fileshares and dropping the update in:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Updating_OpenELEC

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cockmaster posted:

I'm looking to connect an analog joystick to my Pi and read it using a simple Python program. I've tried a Logitech F310, but half the time I can't get the Pi to recognize when it's plugged in (though I did buy it refurbished off eBay, so...). I've heard of people connecting Does anyone know of a simple, reliable solution? Perhaps connect a bare joystick module to an analog-digital converter?

I'm not sure about the analog joystick component, but could the gamepad be drawing too much current for the USB ports to handle normally? Have you tried it through a powered USB hub?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

This hasn't been officially announced but hackaday reposted this article about someone being shipped a Raspberry Pi B+ which is a new revision (the original is: http://www.zlham.geek.nz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=272 but it's being hammered):
http://hackaday.com/2014/07/13/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-b/

Commenters have posted the datasheet:
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/12de/0900766b812decd9.pdf

The main differences seem to be a switching power supply, 40 pin connector (27 as GPIO), 4x USB 2.0 connectors and just a generally better layout. Notable lack of a composite video RCA jack has speculation about the audio output being a 4 pole port with composite video being added to it, but there's no confirmation yet. Unfortunately the CPU is still 700mhz single core, but at least the layout is much better.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I bought another raspberry pi (B+ this time) last week and it was $39.99 for a bundle with a clear case on amazon. That same bundle is now $33.99, which seems like a good deal when the regular price for just the B+ is still $34.99 usually:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LAA91R2

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Drone posted:

Got my Pi 2 today and set up the RetroPie image on the SD card. It froze on me once while trying to configure controls for the PSX emulator and I was forced to hard boot, which corrupted the SD card. Reformat and a lot of time later, I'm back up again.

Probably the best way to save my effort is to make an image of the SD card as a backup I guess? Because right now I really really want to play some PSX stuff but I'm too afraid of corrupting poo poo again by running them and trying to set up the proper controls again.

Yeah I'd make an image of it just in case. I've used win32diskimager in windows to do this a lot with raspberry pi sd cards:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

midnightclimax posted:

I just got my RP2 B, and think I ordered the wrong case and heat sinks. Basically the space cut out for the CPU heat sink is a bit off, and there's no slot for the RAM heatsink (that I didn't get, just got two big ones). So for now I've assembled it, and put the heatsink on the CPU. It's not really covering it completely. Is this a problem if its primary purpose is media server/streaming stuff?

Generally speaking they don't need heatsinks unless you overclock them or they're in an enclosed case in a hot environment. I did have a Raspberry Pi B overheat when it was sitting on top of a warm network switch in a case without much ventilation but I'm not sure a heatsink would have really helped in that situation anyway.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hadlock posted:

Sorry to derail your SD Card beatdown ElCondemn, but I just wired up my Pi-based robot for the first time :dance:

Got the Pi (it's the A+ model, smaller, uses about half the power of the B+) wired in to the motor controller which takes in 6-16v and provides raw power output to two motors, in addition to a regulated 5v output. Wire the 5v output directly in to the 5v rail on the GPIO and everything seems to work really well. It's powered by a pair of 3.7v laptop batteries which when they discharge down to about 2.8v the 5v rail on the motor controller cuts out and the Pi sort of auto-shuts down. You can't leave it totally unattended as the motor controller would eventually suck the batteries dry below 2.6v but it's good enough for now and they're $1 ebay 18650s anyways.

The motor controller uses PWM so I am going to have to cannibalize my PWM controller from another project, but I found more 16 channel PWM controllers for $4.80 shipped on ebay, so I have two more on the way (I have two chassis, the idea is to have two working robots at some point). Chassis is based on the Shrimpbot 1.6 chassis.

I have an 18v -> 7.4v solar charging solution to keep the batteries topped off when not in use ready to go, but i'm not quite ready to wire everything in permanently yet.

That looks really neat. I've been considering making a robot or at least an articulated arm just to mess with robotics but I can't think of a practical application that I've decided "yep I should make a robot to do this" for yet. I'm starting to think that I should just build one to learn more about making stuff and not worry about the practical application because they're just cool and I'm sure I can figure something out (besides scaring the dog).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I saw on hackaday yesterday that an official Raspberry Pi touchscreen has been announced and released:
http://hackaday.com/2015/09/08/finally-an-official-display-for-the-raspberry-pi/

I wish it was a little higher resolution but it looks alright. I also wish it was a little bit cheaper but they have a fair amount of custom hardware and $60 is still pretty reasonable.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

G-Prime posted:

You make a very good point. Ideally, though, I'd like to not have to wire stuff in directly. My thought was to utilize the number of lighter sockets in the vehicle to convert to USB, have the UPS setup connected to that, and the Pi to there. The sockets shut off entirely when the ignition is shut off, so that'd disengage power to the UPS, which could then initiate a shutdown.

If I can't get that figured out though, your idea's a solid one, and I'll have to try it.

I remember reading about a few of these UPS hats for Pis, but haven't used one myself:
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/breakout-boards/pi-modules/ups-pico
https://www.pi-supply.com/product/pi-ups-uninterrupted-power-supply-raspberry-pi/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fishmech posted:

So I got given a 2-pin fan meant for use with a Raspberry Pi 2 in a case, but no instructions on how to install it. What's the best way to power it from the Pi's own pins, or failing that a good thing to use to power it externally - preferably from USB?

Most of the fans meant for raspberry pis I've seen are just 12v fans you run off of the 5v pins and they just run slower. I think pins 4 and 6 are the most commonly used for that:

I was considering buying this case before and the images include one showing the fan on those pins so it seems right:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012GPCLR6/

If you'd rather use USB you can butcher a cable or whatever:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I have not tried that, but I will. Thanks!

EDIT: Still didn't work. I don't have any way to access the SD card without the raspberry pi so I guess I'm outta luck other than buying a new card with NOOBS pre-loaded. thanks anyway!

DOUBLE EDIT: Upon further research I noticed I have a rainbow square in the top right corner at boot, which means I'm not drawing enough power? I have a 2.5A canakit power supply, I should be fine. Harrumph.

I bought a canakit rpi 3 pack a month or two back and the UL listed 2.5 A 5V transformer died after like 8 hours. I contacted them through amazon and they rush shipped me a replacement directly which worked, so it may just be a bad power supply.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

MCM just can't seem to send me the right camera. I ordered the Pi Noir v2 and I've now received two Pi Camera v2s, another old Pi Noir and they they just don't understand that they keep sending me the wrong parts. Oh well, I'll try another distributor I guess. My current Pi camera inventory is up to:
  • 1x Pi Camera v1.3 (5MP)
  • 2x Pi Noir v1.3 (5MP)
  • 2x Pi Camera v2 (8MP)
I guess I should sell some of these. Also I just got a shipment notification for a backordered part that was supposed to be cancelled months ago. I think they're mailing me a Pi Sense Hat which I already purchased elsewhere. I guess I'll sell that extra too.

I got a noir v2 a few months back from an Amazon seller and I've been a little unhappy with it. I'm trying out motioneyeos to see if it's worth using as a security camera over a $75 Chinese 2560x1440 model but motion eye can't seem to do high res despite the v2 being 8MP. The added cost of doing my own IR cut and lights (not to mention case) probably means the Chinese camera will win.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

evil_bunnY posted:

The value add is the arm core with an OS, not the schmancy camera (so you can do a bunch of things with the data you're getting in). If you literally just want a camera getting that will prob be the best option.

I know, I was hoping for higher resolution and the ability to do some custom stuff if I wanted to. I may still use it as a camera but not one of the ones that'll be exposed to the elements.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PBCrunch posted:

Just as a PSA, Liva Mini PCs are available on ebay for $65. These things are Intel Bay Trail-M computers just a tiny bit bigger than a Pi, but packing 32GB of super-reliable (compared to microSD lolololol) eMMC storage, 2GB RAM, dual core x86 CPU, a fully documented OSS-friendly GPU, gigabit Ethernet, and USB 3.0 all inside of a 15W power envelope. The case, storage, and power supply are all included. This thing has all the stuff the Pi Foundation should have been working on instead of their nearly singular focus on cranking up clock speed.

The $65 units are missing the BT/Wi-Fi card, but you can use AW-NB136NF cards (~$6 ebay) to add 5 GHz 802.11n and BT4.0. This specific card uses an SDIO interface, not PCIe. The M.2 connector is only wired for SDIO, so SSDs and fancier Wi-Fi cards will not work (I've tried).

So $70 gets you a power-sipping computer that is ready to rumble, won't quit working after a power outage, and runs the full complement of x86 software for Windows or Linux. You will miss out on GPIO pins, but you could use an Arduino or a USB relay for a lot of of the stuff you might use GPIO for.

Thanks for the heads up on the Liva, I picked one up to see if it suits my needs for a project.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I got the Liva yesterday. Pretty good little unit. Has the wifi antennas so I bought a card. Definitely worthwhile at the price.

I put mine together last night and got Windows on it today. I'm still working on seeing if it'll run what I'd like to run on it, but it's pretty zippy with the built in eMMC. Not much RAM but enough to run one or two things. The wifi card is tiny and the antennas were hard to clip on due to the size but it works well:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fishmech posted:

Aren't SDIO based wifi cards super rare these days? Last time those were popular was like old Palms and other PDAs. You'd have a real annoying time working with one of those in anything.

Why didn't you just buy a standard mini-PCI-E wireless card as you'd use on a laptop? If you were trying to save the socket for that to plug in a storage device, don't bother, as it's only specced to take wifi/bluetooth cards, not m.2 SSDs.

The wifi card I bought and am using was listed on ebay as Sony VAIO UltraBook 13.3" SVD132 Wireless BT WIFI Card AW-NB136NF. Since that ultrabook was listed on amazon in 2013 it doesn't seem like they're quite that far out of date. It's got dual band wifi so it's not too bad or old, although I don't know about non-windows drivers for it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fishmech posted:

Maybe I'm just not understanding you. The SDIO I'm familiar with is literally an input-output device in an SD card form factor, popular in the early-mid 2000s for PDAs and ultracompact computers. They usually look something like this, since they need to fit in an SD card slot but also need space for the extra antenna or whatever:

The Liva Mini PC on the other hand has a slot on the board which apparently depending on the revision is m.2 type like this:

.. which is what the AW-NB136NF actually looks like, and thus isn't SDIO based. As an m.2 NGFF card, it'll communicate with the host device via either PCI-Express 3.0 (or older), SATA or USB 3.0 communication methods

Or sometimes a mini-PCI-E type like this:

As you'd expect, a mini-PCI-E card communicates with the host bia either PCI-Express 2.0 or USB 2.0

I don't know why they did it this way, but there's no misunderstanding. It shows up in the device manager as Broadcom 802.11abgn Wireless SDIO Adapter. It is an M.2 connector it plugs into but apparently it's a SDIO device. Maybe they use the physical M.2 connector for internal board installs of SDIO devices. I'm not sure what interface it's connected to internally.

edit: apparently it's connected to SDIO internally, as is the onboard eMMC according to this review of it, at least http://www.techspot.com/review/907-ecs-liva-mini-pc/page2.html

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thermopyle posted:

Is something like this what I need to be able to use a rpi to turn power off to 110V devices? That's really just one of my first Googlin' results, so if there's anything good or better tell me what it is!

This isn't for anything important, I'm just wanting to do a little project for fun to let me turn some things on/off programmatically.

If it's a wall outlet device that you might use for a while check out a premade relay in a cable kind of thing like this:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10747

If you're just trying stuff out there's a lot of cheap relay boards available:
https://smile.amazon.com/Tolako-Arduino-Indicator-Channel-Official/dp/B00VRUAHLE/

I've got an ebay version of the latter controlling my garage door (which isn't much power across the relay when it's closed). There's a lot of 2, 4, or 8 relay boards on amazon/ebay for not a lot of money.

edit: I see the amazon relay board says 5-12V DC for the control and the pi is 3.3V. So it may need a voltage level converter or another way to step up the control voltage.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 25, 2017

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Magnus Praeda posted:

Arrow has the Pi3 on sale for $28 with free overnight shipping with the code PI20.

Sales on the Raspberry Pi always make me worry the next model is due out in a month. That may not be the case, but I bought a B+ on sale right before the Pi 2 came out. Fortunately it's still in use because I've managed to find a way to use like four of these things in different roles.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm looking to get a Pi to use as a headless file server. Is this going to do me fine, or is there another option that's better/cheaper? I already have a USB SSD to plug in.

That should work fine but bear in mind that the Pi is USB 2.0 so it's not going to be very fast. The SSD is probably overkill since it usually won't saturate the write speed of a mechanical disk.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GobiasIndustries posted:

anyone got a good link for doing a headless setup of a zero W? I've got all the cables and adapters to do it with a monitor but I'd rather not go through the trouble. All I really need is to get it hooked up on my wifi and be able to SSH in to get the rest of it set up.

https://core-electronics.com.au/tutorials/raspberry-pi-zerow-headless-wifi-setup.html

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

e.pilot posted:

What would be a good way to turn a pi into a portable wifi router that would automatically connect to a VPN for traveling? I already have OpenVPN set up at home and I know I'd need a USB wifi adapter. PFSense would be the easiest way, but without a web browser it'd make getting through a wifi login page difficult. Is there a ready to go distro that would do this or am I going to have to piece it together?

I haven't used it myself but there's installers built around doing this kind of thing already:
http://www.pivpn.io/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

whats the go to software if I just want to stream movies/music from my PC?

I've used https://libreelec.tv/downloads/ which is a version of Kodi which is the successor to XBMC on a Pi B+ and a Pi 3. That's a whole OS that just runs Kodi, though, you can install Kodi in Raspbian if you want.
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_on_Raspberry_Pi

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

rabidcowfromhell posted:

I'm a Pi novice, and just put together my first kit (a basic Vilros one) but because I'm clumsy as hell, the heat-sinks are juuuust slightly off center. Is that gonna be an issue? They aren't touching any other circuits or anything...

It should be fine as long as the top of the chips are covered. The Pi 3 gets pretty warm so it's good to have heatsinks but those little ones only do so much as it is. If you have heat problems (which you likely won't unless you overclock it or something) then you'll want to add a fan anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

forkbucket posted:

One of those e-ink displays would be super cool in a nice slim case together with the pi for displaying weather info and time/date. Are there package deals for weather station thingamajigs for GPIO? Or would a weather station be more of a completely from scratch project?

I got my first raspberry pi the other day and had a blast messing around with it before turning it into a plex media center. I have so many more ideas for cool gadgets :shobon:

This isn't a Pi project, it's got its own ESP8266 microcontroller, but I picked up one of these kits for a weather station recently. It's in the mail and I need to 3d print an enclosure, but it looks pretty neat. Since it's just a microcontroller with a screen it can technically be used for anything, but the basic setup includes the weatherstation as an example.
https://mcuoneclipse.com/2017/10/22/squix-esp8266-based-e-paper-weather-station/