Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Is there a distro for the Pi zero?

So, I got a Pi0W because it was cheap. I don't have a real sdcard reader and had to use my cellphone for that. Those programs only installed that noobs installer, so I couldn't go directly headless.
Then I spend a long time trying to figure out how to automatically start the VNC server in virtual mode. I ended up writing my own unit file. I probably should have given up and just ran a permanent X-session.

My main annoyance is with java. I wanted to run the Arduino IDE, and couldn't because Raspibian installs a non-working java version by default. I could install the old java by hand.
But I really want a distro that blocks installs for programs that are incompatible with my processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

I've been using a pi4 for steam streaming and watching videos off a fileshare for a while now but we just got a 4k tv as an early christmas present and I'm wondering if there's a way to scale the pi's desktop when using it in 4k? I would like to be able to play videos in 4k but I can't read the ui from the couch :v:

I read about the pixel doubling setting but apparently it's not available for the pi4, so is there an alternative? Failing that, could I set up a couple of desktop shortcuts to switch between 1080p and 4k?
You might have to switch window managers. Kde has a font and UI scaling option. And I remember those existing for enlightenment and xfce, too. But you need to check if those exist for the pi version.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Random rpi facts that can be annoying if they surprise you:

The usb ports on a zero are so close together that a micro to A adapter blocks the charging port. Luckily you can daisychain micro to C to A connections to get some space.

Cheap USB-C adapters only work in one orientations, despite USB-C nominally avoiding this.

Also while shopping I noticed that pi0Ws are sold out pretty much everywhere that ships to me. The only one I found was some shady guy on Aliexpress who want 30€. The good news was that I found a pi3A+ for only 20€ including shipping.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

TheFluff posted:

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or something but I can't find anything interesting at all on that site. The vast majority of boards feature some variant of the Cortex A9, a 32-bit design from 2007. There are a few boards that do have 64-bit CPU's but the most recent core I can find is a Cortex A72 and that's from 2015. A76 would be nice and A75 could be acceptable, but anything older than that isn't really interesting at all, and neither is anything 32-bit (ARMv7). Basically I'm looking for a high end Snapdragon SoC or something in SBC form (except I don't need the GPU at all), and I can't find that.

There are SBCs with laptop style x86/64 CPUs. They probably closed the niche that a hypothetical high end arm SBC could fill.
https://www.aaeon.com/en/p/pico-itx-boards-pico-kbu4

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

MJP posted:

Anyone know PiCorePlayer that can help me out?

I'm running a brand new burned image of PicorePlayer 5.0, standard build, on a Pi 3B+. It boots just fine. I'm not connected to Ethernet since I have no wired network connectivity by my stereo.

When I run setup and enter the correct wifi setup info - including all correct case letters - and set the authentication as WPA, it doesn't connect after I exit setup. If I ping 8.8.8.8, it gives no route to the host. If I reboot, it searches for the network and finds nothing. When I run setup, none of the information has been saved - wifi is on but no info is populated for the SSID, password, or authentication type. If I repeat setting up wifi and back up the config, the situation persists.

I created a guest network that uses only WPA (the normal network is WPA2-personal) and the issue persisted. I backed up the config from the setup menu and rebooted, issue persists. I backed up the config, exited setup, and ran pcp br - the issue persists.

I only have Windows boxes and a Chromebook so I'm not sure if there's a way for me to burn the image and create wpa_supplicant.conf on the boot partition as specified here: https://www.picoreplayer.org/how_to_setup_wifi_on_pcp_without_ethernet.shtml

What am I doing wrong here?

The boot partition should be FAT so that you can mount it on a windows box and copy the wpa_supplicant over.

It might also be be a wifi channel issue. I don't know if it affects the 3B+, but some wifi cards don't like all the possible channels. You can switch to 2.4GHz or to one of the lower 5Ghz channel numbers on your router.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

You can't drive a boost converter from the GPIO, it doesn't have the amperage. You probably should look for a solid state switch instead.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

SuicidalSmurf posted:

Makes sense. I have a 2n2222 transistor in my bag of parts, would that work, or do you have a suggestion?

Should work.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Home-computing has come full circle.

Considering that this, again, feels optimally placed in turning an existing TV into a computer, the fact that the pi has (I heard) problems with youtube playback is a big problem.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The German reseller has the same (preorder) message on both models. They say they have a shipment of both incomming in the near future. They are even saying that they probably will be able to ship the loose 400s before the kits.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The fact that the rpi doesn't work with normal usb is a conceptual problem. Especially as they somehow decided that they wanted to build their own high-power standard instead of using any of the existing fast charging standards. You can have a laptop charger that is compatible for your smartphone, but it won't supply your rpi. Being able to just grab a random charge bank or charger and run your pi from there would make things so much more fun for casual users.
Going the other direction (and some other decisions) make me think that the customer groups they think about are rpi desktop users who for some reason dislike streaming video, and the people who have large stacks of rpis in rack.

And that is why the pi0w is the best rpi ever built.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm starting to feel like the Pi 4's reputation suffers from the fact that it's close enough to being a "real computer" that people judge it for the fact that it's bad at being one.

It has more hdmi ports then many "real computers". If it isn't intended as one, that makes no sense.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

"number of hdmi ports" is not the most useful metric for "is a computer"

I am not saying it is a computer, I am saying that by putting in the second port they are declaring that it should be a computer. Disapointing everybody who either doesn't need the port or needs the port to show video or something else that the pi sucks at.
But, just tell me: I have always wanted to know what the intended use case for the second hdmi port is if it isn't for use as a "real computer".

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Does anybody know what the most stable/reliable arm64 linux for a rpi4 8gb is?

I spent some time setting up nextcloud on my old pi3a, and now finally decided to upgrade. But before I arrived at the pi3a specific bugs, I had some that were because of outdated packages in current raspibian or the nextcloud docker files assuming arm64 systems.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

xzzy posted:

The pi has always cost $35, and the pi4 you can buy now (still for $35) is vastly superior to the pi1 in every way (except the mini hdmi ports).

The pi1 didn't come with a case or an sd card either so I'm not sure what you're mad about.

You can't get a pi for 35$, I tried last month.
There was allegedly a 35€+shipping one, that was sold out for months with no stated reshipping date to find anywhere.
There is of course the 65€ one which feels like a nobrainer to upgrade to the 80€ one.
Then you need to add a good sd card, a clumsy special power supply and some kind of cooling solution. Easily pushing the whole order over 100€.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah, the pi0 is one of the best computing ideas ever. The current full sized pis are a questionable choice for any application imaginable.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I have my calibre setup such that only the server runs on the pi. I edit my library on my desktop with the normal program, then I rsync the library directory to the pi where it is shared by the server.

I used to run the calibre server on my desktop, but sometimes I wanted to grab a book while the desktop is turned off.
Also, for security I have my devices only accessible through a vpn.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Possibly a stupid question but will an external drive work if it doesn't have a separate power connection, just usb? If so, what's the easiest way to clone my current setup onto the new drive?

It depends on the drive, and on if you have other usb devices connected.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I snagged a Zero 1.3 from BerryBase in Germany (I'm in Denmark). Everyone wants the W and 2 W, so there were hundreds in stock. Only one per customer, though.

Crazy. A few years ago I ordered a 0W from them, which was one per customer. And I added a normal 0 to meet a shipping minimum, I could have bought a whole box.
Still haven't found a use yet. All my projects that are worth using a pi profit from having the wireless.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't need wireless, since I'll be using the USB Ethernet to connect to the USB port on my router, which can be done by emulating the device ID of a supported LTE modem. Then I'll run Pi-hole on it, from a single USB connection.

Mostly just because I can.

Are you powering the pi from the usb port? If not you should find a way.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

The USB port powers the Pi as well, that's the idea. It can supply 1A, and a Zero needs less than 300mA (probably less than 200mA with HDMI switched off etc), even at full tilt.

You can power it through either micro-USB port, not just the one that says "pwr-in". That's how USB gadget mode works.

I know about the low power. The heart of my audio system is a Pi0W that runs of an old 500mA charger I got for free with my first smartphone. Which is why the Pi0 is the best Pi.
Didn't know that you can power it through both ports. That is seriously cool.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 17, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I was originally thinking :"meh at least it gets him of the street, where he could harm someone".

But, lol at them doubling down in the dumbest way after even the mildest call-out.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah, actually conformant and thus reliable usb-PD needs surprisingly much development effort. Though it is the kind of effort that can become routine eventually.

Remember, the Pi4 was memeworthy for failing to properly work with actually standard conformant cables and chargers because of some shortcut they took.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Are they connected to an intranet? If yes, you could just setup a local mirror of the raspibian repositories and point your updater to that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

In the old days it happened that labs got cds or dvds with linux updates in the mail, then installed them on a local repo server machine, and then you update your other machines from that server through the lan. I haven't actually heard of that done since before the first raspberry was built.
The capabilities are probably still there and inherited from debian to raspibian.
On the other hand that is how stuxnet got transmitted, so your IT might still not consider it acceptable.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Ristolaz posted:

I got a pi 4 set up with retropie and everything works great except my dualshock 4 over bluetooth. It connects and configures just fine but lags horrendously when playing. Long delay after inputs, missed inputs etc. No issues plugging in the same controller with USB. Anyone have this particular issue? Would a USB bluetooth dongle work better? Failing that, any recs for a good wireless gamepad?

Any of the controllers that use the direct usb dongles are indistinguishable from cabled controllers to the computer. I have an x-box controller, but I haven't tried it on any pis, the direct dongle is optional when ordering one though. I grabbed one specifically to avoid having to fiddle with compatibility issues of the bt mode.

The bt dongle might work, the rpi's built-in bt has a terrible reputation.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Death of Prime posted:

pi4@raspberrypi:/mnt/share $ sudo mount -t cifs -o username=MYUSERNAME,password=MYPASSWORD //192.168.1.247/volume1/'Shared Videos' /mnt/share
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

I did use my actual username and password

Have you tried to manually set the smb version and security mode in the command? You need to look up which the correct one is first.
Don't know about symology, but it is a common fix for permission problems in cifs.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Death of Prime posted:

The username and password are what I use to log into the snyology. I have a username and pw for the pi but they are different than the NAS

For cifs you need the smb password. It is not necessarily the login password.
You would use the login password for nfs though.
What does happen if you mount with nfs instead of smb?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Inept posted:

It's not very fast, but several places have the first Pi Zero W in stock for $15, and it'll still do fine for Pi hole.

MSRP for the old 0W is $10, I got one for 10€ before the pandemic. And 0s for 5€.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Raygereio posted:

Huh, I wonder why they handled different RAM sizes this way.

Presumably they called their board hardware manufacturer and asked which option is the cheapest. Between that or variable stencils or something.

And like that the only difference in manufacturing between sizes is the populating robot, while other options would require modifying a different production step also.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The main complaint about the RPI power situation has always been about its enormous power usage spikes that need a power supply 3 times the size that the average power draw suggests.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the simplest way to get a pi, a single 3.5" hard disk and a SATA adapter to connect the two of them into a single case with a single power supply? Or is this too much to ask?

I realize the easiest option by far is an external USB disk and 2 wall warts, but I'm curious if anything exists.

This would be for direct playing media off a giant drive, not a NAS. It's fine if the SATA is through a USB adapter internally, I'm not going to pretend that I need native SATA support, although it looks the Pi OS did pick up SATA support a few years ago: https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2021/raspberry-pi-os-now-has-sata-support-built

Edit: it doesn't even have to be a pi, x86 or ARM mini PCs that run a normal Linux are fine too but the Pi space seems most likely to have something. A single 3.5" bay, that's all!

There are SATA hats that take a 12V barrel jack input and break that into sata power output and also provide power to the rpi. Never used one though.

There are also those rpi alternatives that come with an integrated 3.5 bay. Odroid, I think. Just checked and it was the Odroid HC2, but it is no longer sold.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Is this the sort of thing that could in theory be mitigated with a chunky capacitor somewhere?

Yes, most power supply hats actually provide that afaik. Though they also use the opportunity to add compatibility to an actual power supply standard.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I bought an 3A like the linked one to test things some time ago. And it sucks for that.
Having no wired network port means you need to get good at preloading your wifi setups at install time, which was a good outcome.
Having only 1 usb port means you need to hotswap if you use any peripherals, which would be useful for testing.

And most annoyingly, there is a lot of software that just does no longer offer well maintained 32bit options. And while the cpu supports 64bit, the lack of ram kills anything above minimal usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Hadn't thought about it in some time, but has anybody ever developed a good way to reboot a headless rpi?
Mine might be crashed, but I had setup a script to reboot it if the network connection crashed. Now I am trying to remember what timeout I had set, before deciding whether to power-cycle it by pulling the plug.

And have there been any new developments on how to get a monitor and keyboard attached, except for a ludicrously priced wireless kvm.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 15, 2024