Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Aggressive Nap posted:

I've been using a Raspberry Pi Model 4 4GB for a couple years now as my home router. Although I admit it probably was more because I like to tinker with stuff more than if it was a good tool for the job. I followed this guide to begin with https://www.technicallywizardry.com/raspberry-pi-network-monitor/ and also use the scripts on that page to get some traffic metrics that I like to watch for some reason. It runs my router, collects all those traffic metrics, and I have an adguard home server running on it.

I also admit I have some weird issue where my network cuts out pretty often and I'm not entirely sure why. But I wrote a script to detect that and auto reconnect. In that sense it's more reliable than any store bought router I've used in the past, all of those had issues that required me to manually power them off and on.

Sometimes it could be a hardware issue. If you check dmesg, it might tell you if there are hardware problems. I dunno if Pi4 devices have the kind of undervolt issues common with previous generations but if you frequently get undervolt warnings then you can either try:
  • getting a nicer power supply
  • setting the power governor to powersave or performance so that the power draw is consistent.
  • maybe other solutions.

Also, despite addressing the above, I am also seeing a lot of ethernet cutout on my pi400. I haven't tried to diagnose it yet. Maybe I should look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

what is OT? I assume you’re not talking about occupational therapy
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_technology

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I am using a raspberry pi 400 to prototype some hobby projects that might end up on a 3b, possibly a 1b or zero. Very useful, especially if I have to compile anything.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

keep in mind that if you get a zero W, you will also need a mini hdmi cable or adapter (the pi4 uses hdmi nano and I think the rest use standard hdmi) if you want to see any output

If you want to attach any usb devices (likely if you don’t want to use a bluetooth keyboard or etc to connect to it), you’ll need a USB OTG adapter that is known to work with the pi zero (the cable has to be straight or angled in the correct fashion).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the le potato 1 GB is $30, but amazon currently seems to be selling the 2 GB for $35 (down from $50)

you can get more specs and information here:

https://libre.computer/products/aml-s905x-cc/

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tweak posted:

rate my setup: 2B running pihole/openvpn with the same SD card for the last ~7 years on wifi connected to a smart plug in a dusty corner behind a tv

if it works it works

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cruft posted:

thread title

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If you happen to have a UPS, you can put it on the UPS (as long as it's the only one plugged into it, since some devices like an xbox one are "sleeping" when you turn them off) and it might be able to tell you the load it's seeing.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

Wooo!

https://i.imgur.com/zhZ5QZo.gifv

Ignore the righteous mess on the desk, I was working on this while trapped in a late meeting, just crammed all the needed poo poo in

holy moly this is cool

I was watching it for a minute before noticing it was on a 2 second loop

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

well, they probably have self confidence in their foundry business, which will produce chips designed by other companies, given that TSMC is having a heck of a time with building their Arizona plant

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I still remember that Intel used to have StrongARM/XScale before selling that off. I guess they still won’t be designing ARM chips for their own products but will still help other people bring their ideas to market.

They also still have a RISC-V board coming out “real soon”, despite killing their Pathfinder initiative earlier this year.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Blogs/Tech-Innovation/open-intel/What-s-in-store-for-the-latest-RISC-V-development-board/post/1448348

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

yes

they bought it from DEC if I remember correctly, in the late 90s

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Super Foul Egg posted:

At first glance the website seems weirdly determined to not answer any question about what a magic mirror actually is beyond the Pi's software, but a quick search found this more straightforward explanation:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/tutorials/how-to-build-a-super-slim-smart-mirror/

I, too, was curious about that. Thanks for digging this up!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

finally a power button!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

From that post you linked, I may not be providing enough power. I'll try a larger supply to see if that's it. Hope so, that'd be an easy fix. I put it on a bigger supply and we'll see how it's doing this time tomorrow.

If it's going to log every time the crontab runs (every minute) I may do that just as a matter of course.

you may want to consider calling journalctl to prune the logs so that you can be sure they get rotated and you actually save space (since deleting an open file will not get rid of it until the file descriptors to it get closed).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

Just wanted to pop back in to say that my fish temperature monitor has been running for days without issue now, thanks to these two posts.

And with that sorted out,

this is my next step. Then I think it's good to go for the winter.

Thanks!

:toot:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Raygereio posted:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/behind-the-scenes-with-raspberry-pi-5-magpimonday/

This reasoning seems weird to me. How having to design & produce a non-standard power supply capable of 5V/5A, better or cheaper then using standard industry parts?

Also I hope they actually check if the plugged-in cable has an e-marker chip and is capable of carrying 5A. The board isn't likely to draw that much current constantly, but still it doesn't seems like a great idea to use USB-C cable rated for 3A/10W with this board.

ugh, how come they couldn’t just bite the bullet

the whole point of usb-c is to make it standard so that customers don’t have to go searching for non standard stuff!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

that’s why I never buy the first revision of a new raspberry pi

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cruft posted:

Every release of the Pi has been a compromise. I think people just got upset when the first round of 4s had that dumb design flaw making them only work with certain PSUs, and are now chomping at the bit to be the first on their block to land a sick burn about the 5.

yeah, and you beat me to it :argh:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cruft posted:

New thread title.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

VictualSquid posted:

The main complaint about the RPI power situation has always been about its enormous power usage spikes that need a power supply 3 times the size that the average power draw suggests.

I usually get around that by just pinning the clock rate to powersave, although that is probably a terrible idea for most use cases.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mr.Radar posted:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/introducing-raspberry-pi-5/#comment-1594055

The Raspberry Pi 5 does not have any hardware video encoding support and only has HEVC for hardware video decoding. All other encoding and decoding is done in software.

I hope there’s OpenCL support for Raspberry Pi 5 at some point, then, and maybe we’ll get something nearly as good that can encode higher resolutions at speed with less of a power draw.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=356991

Oh, the rpi 5 has an rtc with features like wakeup!

Having an RTC actually makes me want to pick one up now.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I would suggest checking dmesg just in case to see if there are any relevant kernel messages.

If you think the power drops are causing issues with the dongle, you can try changing the cpu frequency governor so that it’s pinned to max or minimum frequency (aka conservative vs performance). Maybe that might minimize voltage dips. If you can find other mechanisms to manage power saving on the wifi dongle, that could also help. It could, of course, also be other “features” on the dongle that are causing latency spikes (finding a decent channel, reducing the power needed to keep a good signal to a minimum, etc, I dunno, I don’t do wireless)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mewse posted:

Uhh if it's a $2 wifi dongle, and another dongle works fine, I'd think it was the dongle, but.. the power delivery to usb devices on the pi zero is probably even more screwy than on full size pi's, you could try feeding the pi zero 5.1V rather than 5.05, or try using a powered usb hub between the pi and the dongle to see if power delivery is really causing the problem.

But it's probably the dongle.

I really want to second this - I see a lot of pi specific power supplies try to deliver 5.25V so going for 5.1V at the minimum should help with things, but a powered usb hub would be better (albeit the total footprint might exceed what you’re comfortable with)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

coconono posted:

bought a Canakit Pi4 and the network performance is kinda iffy. Struggles with pulling packages via apt, I can't even get chromium to load the speedtest.net page.

Trying a new OS image. I wasn't really thrilled with Raspian so I'm trying for realsies Ubuntu 64bit.

E: I think the kit supplied SD card is poo poo. Randomly locked up a bunch too

Sounds like the case.

If you are seeing relevant errors in dmesg, then it’s a clear sign to use something else.

But bad SD cards are more common than they should be.

The only other issue might be a dodgy power supply.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

coconono posted:

I'm messing around on an RPi4B with Lakka OS right now. It required fiddling. The default OS was pretty fleshed out

make sure your TV isn't some weirdo bullshit that fell off a truck. Pretty much all my output struggles revolved around the TV not being able to understand all the ephemera the Pi was kicking out. If its not plug and play, make sure you got good cables. I just bought the cheapest thing on Best Boy's floor and it worked.

Bluetooth wasn't out of the box either. I bought an 8bitdo controller thinking that was the easiest way. I suggest something with a pairing dongle. But that could be an OS limitation. I have a logitech keyboard mouse dealie that uses a pairing dongle and its worked great.

Lakka itself is "rawdog retroarch", it comes preinstalled with OS cores, you have to supply BIOS and roms. Its got SSH access and an unsecured access to the filesystem via SMB, which made finding it on the network and throwing files into it a snap. When the Pi5 hardware finally becomes available, I should be able to emulate some PS2 and Gamecube stuff.

:nice:

I agree that getting display to work is usually the biggest headache. If worse comes to worse, you can always pop the sd card into a computer and change the config.txt to set hdmi_safe to enable it. Just make sure to disable it later! Usually a display with an actual hdmi port has less issues than something that needs to be converted between hdmi and dvi or displayport or etc.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if you get a dht11, make sure it’s packaged for the pi because the signal has to be 3.3v or less. A 5v signal will fry it.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/raspberry-pi.html

I have had luck with a pre-packaged ds18b20 that outputs a 3v signal via the 1wire protocol, that might fit your needs. Not sure about the accuracy, though.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

I was utilizing this walkthrough: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-webcam-server/

Edit: So, I was able to detect the camera with
code:
libcamera-hello --list-cameras
and it pops out with
code:
0 : imx219 [3280x2464 10-bit RGGB] (/base/soc/i2c0mux-i2c@1/imx219@10)
then the various possible resolution/fps modes.

Edit 2: Ok, using
code:
sudo libcamerify motion
pops this error on the first line.
code:
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libcamera/v4l2-compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
All other loading processes appear fine until
code:
webu_start_strm: Unable to start stream for camera 0

this may sound annoying as heck but maybe try reinstalling with the 32-bit version of raspberry pi OS. This may be an issue with 64-bit only:

https://github.com/kbingham/libcamera/discussions/48

(I noticed you were running 64-bit due to the error/warning in ld_preload)

If you don’t mind, can you show us what you see if you type:

code:
ldd /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libcamera/v4l2-compat.so
it might be that you need another library installed that wasn’t part of the package dependencies.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

Alright, well, ran into another snag. Running the camera stream appears to be giving me a memory leak because after about 45 minutes, the pi freezes. I need to fiddle with some settings. >_>

it’s a start!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hark posted:

Hopefully someone knows this, but is there a name for that type of mount? The 2 rounded tab things with the holes in them, like you'd attach to a GoPro mount?

“gopro mount adapter”?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Eletriarnation posted:

That said, it looks like you can get a Pi 1 for $20 which is hard to beat all-in if that's fast enough and you already have the accessories you want.

This is a good point but it should be noted that older Pi models had very little memory.

The oldest Pi 1 devices had 256 MB of RAM. Later Pi 1 devices had 512 MB. Only when you start hitting the Pi 2 is when you get 1GB which is a decent chunk.

(to be fair, 256/512 MB for an embedded device was quite standard in 2012)

It didn’t help that the video chip ran off of that memory too, so you may have as little as 192MB available to the OS. Still enough to run a dns server or web server without hitting the disk (too much) but a web browser or word processor (except maybe abiword) would be right out.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Anyone here ever tried using a Daemonbite Arcade encoder (it's an arduino) with a raspberry pi to use as a controller for Pico8?

I cannot get it to register the direction inputs at all and I'm curious if it's even possible to get it working.

Does the controller encoder work when you plug it into a normal PC?

What kind of raspberry pi are you using?

Although unlikely, the arduino may be drawing too much bus voltage. What does dmesg say if you unplug and plug the arduino into the rpi (it might emit warnings if too much bus power is being drawn)? And would you be ok with using a powered USB hub so that any bus power issues are negated?

Depending on how handy you are with arduino, you may also be able to update the source so that you can get additional debugging information (like maybe you can light an LED, print to LCD, or get a debug console working on the serial pins).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I dunno about nixos but I think the overscan settings only get used on initial boot and then are overwritten when the framebuffer is configured.

You can try playing with fbset or xrandr to recreate overscan:

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=280917

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

alternatively, you can try to see if nixos does anything to apply framebuffer settings and get it to stop doing it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

tuyop posted:

What projects support the camera module v3 at this point? I don't seem to be able to get it to just like, stream a video to a web browser. It also won't work with motioneye. I just want to stick this thing in a tree next to birds and watch them on my phone!

Which pi are you using, and which OS are you using, and which software are you using?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Semisomnum posted:

Holy poo poo dude thank you so much.

:toot:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:rip:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Is there a reason why the raspberry pi devices are on their own power supply? You may be able to get away with putting it on the same outlet as the other devices. Maybe hang one of the usb devices off the raspberry pi if you need to make room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DerekSmartymans posted:

2) Would it be out of line to ask here for recommendations for a basic kit off Amazon to get components & tools? I have a pretty good soldering gun and some multimeters already, but don’t want to spend $100 on a giant box of resistors when I’m just starting out. I figure some of the Pi discussions are from folks also involved in building related doo-dads and widgets.

I know this isn’t amazon but if you’re lucky and you live near a Microcenter, they have cheaper boxes of a variety of parts that might work well for hobbyists, including components such as pir sensors, temperature sensors, resistors, capacitors, diodes, and so on.

Also, I find that sometimes an item will be on ebay for cheap and will include free shipping. So if you need a cheap $3 part and don’t want to pay another $3 to ship it, ebay might work in a pinch.