Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Philthy posted:

I'm thinking robotics. An entire platform in the palm of your hands. Today we have Arduino, PICAXE, etc which are faceless programmable microcontrollers that you hook up to your PC to upload your code, then test things out.

With the RPi, the entire thing is the dev environment, with the ability to run monitors and network connectivity right from brains. It's a totally contained environment in the palm of your hand. Be it for yourself, hobby, or students. The GPIO is going to allow this to interface pretty easily to everything that exists today. It sucks less than a watt using 1080p streaming, and far far far less doing simple path finding and adjusting motor speeds.

I was thinking the same thing.

How well do you suppose the Raspberry Pi could handle real-time image processing? It could be the perfect solution for playing with vision in a small robot. All we'd need is some Linux-based vision software that doesn't require any knowledge of the science of image processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Could the GPIO pins be used to emulate a parallel port? I was thinking that the Raspberry Pi could make a cool CNC controller. It's cheap enough that you could just hardwire it permanently into the machine and set it up to boot directly into the CNC software, just like in an industrial machine.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Install Gentoo posted:

Presumably the hardware he's already got is already set up for parallel communication. Trying to run the steppers directly might be a lot more hassle.

Actually, I was just thinking that you probably wouldn't have to bother mimicking the actual parallel port communication standards. All the parallel port interface does is give you a convenient point to hook up the motor drivers and stuff (and in some cases optically isolate the computer from the motors).

Driving a stepper motor simply involves setting one pin high or low to select direction, and sending short pulses down another pin to move the motor (one pulse per step). Things like limit switches and probes can be handled as basic digital inputs, and spindle speed can be controlled via PWM.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
How well do you suppose the Pi would handle SDLMAME? I was thinking it'd be cool to build a miniature arcade cabinet and stick one in, kind of like Coleco's tabletop arcade games from the early 1980's.

Plus I was reading a thread in another forum about the prospect of turning one into a CNC controller, and someone mentioned that there was some problem with doing true real-time programming on an ARM-based system. Does anyone know anything about that? Would it help if the operating system were stripped down to whatever was strictly necessary for running just the CNC software?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Tim Thomas posted:

I guess this is my point: with CNC, if you can use honest-to-god real hardware (a UMAC+Amp+PC isn't really kludgy, it's an integrated setup that runs a whole boatload of machine tools) at a minimal price delta from hacking and bashing, why wouldn't you go that route and gain real experience with something that translates to how things work in the real world? It's one thing if we're talking steppers and a small set of leadscrews or what have you, but what happens when you want to do something bigger?

It's not a matter of directly competing with professional-grade hardware, it's a matter of creating a simple, inexpensive solution for driving hobbyist-level CNC machines. For $25 you get a complete controller that could easily be built into a control box, and if you're running without an OS it'll be way less likely to crash in the middle of a program. It'd be especially nice for 3D printing and complex carving where you're often running for hours at a time.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Aurium posted:

Back to reprap. Instead of a RAMPS (Reprap Arduino Mega Pololu Shield), we'll probably soon get a RRPPS (Reprap Raspberry Pi Pololu Sheild). Although, since shield is a arduino term we'll end up with RRPPDB instead.

If you're going to go that route, you'd probably be better off with the BeagleBone, which was actually designed for stackable expansion boards (called capes). Plus it has 66 GPIO pins, more than enough for even a relatively fancy machine.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Aurium posted:

On the plus side, the BeagleBone is designed for stackable expansion boards, has much more native GPIO, and you can buy and get one now. All excellent points.

On the minus side, it's $90. Over 2-3x the price of a Raspberry Pi (depending on model). Of course the RPi doesn't have enough GPIO to do GPIO heavy stuff stuff, like a reprap board. You'd need to include expander chips as part of the new daughter board to make it a single board solution. To bring the RPi up to parity with the BeagleBone, we'd be talking around 4 16 channel chips, for an additional 64 GPIO.

The most expensive expanders I've found are less than 3 dollars a chip, and many are less than $1. So, the cost of saving 55+ dollars on the controller is making the daughter board 4-12 dollars more expensive. If they use the 3 dollar expander chips, you'd have to buy 5 daughter boards worth of redundant hardware to even out, and if they use the cheap ones, you're talking more than a dozen sets.

Now then, I'm not really familiar with the BeagleBone so it may well have yet other advantages that I can't see from a cursory glance. The extraordinarily low cost of the RPi puts a massive squeeze on other ARM boards, but it's also bound up with supply issues and the added difficulty of needing external expanders. It'll be interesting seeing how it all interacts.

If your machine has more than the bare minimum features, chances are $90 for a controller wouldn't be a big deal.

And do these expander chips introduce any measurable lag? Even if you're not trying to match the accuracy of an industrial machine, that's something you want to avoid with things like stepper motors and home switches.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

General_Failure posted:

I think it will help if you think of it more as the big daddy of all development boards rather than a low powered computer. The fact that it's less than half the price of even a fairly modest PIC or Atmel board really does my head in. There are so many wonderful misuses for that much power, like intelligent real time monitoring and nice looking display of it in a car, home automation I guess, loving awesome robots!, A graphics calculator that makes a TI look like an abacus, (If / when Android gets ported) an Android development board because the emulator sucks hairy balls, If it's a B, a small file / print / music server, or a way of providing a fancy serial <-> ethernet bridge for retrocomputing. Solar panel controller with enough brains to know where the sun will be any time of the year, a smart terminal or VNC client for another room in the house etc.
These are just a few ideas I pulled off the top of my head.

I was just wondering if anyone was looking into getting Robot Operating System running on it. It'd be especially be nice for swarm robot research where you obviously want to minimize the price of each individual robot.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 20, 2012

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Do you suppose it's be possible to use the Raspberry Pi to run the standard Reprap software? It already relies on an external motion controller (Arduino Mega), so real-time programming wouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't be as cool as programming an ARM board to run the machine by itself, but it could be worthwhile for many applications.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Speaking of playing with the GPIO pins, there's a breakout board on the market:

http://shop.ciseco.co.uk/slice-of-pi/

It even has an Xbee connector.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Pweller posted:

If i understand this correctly, you can now buy an $8 accessory to interface custom hardware projects with the raspi.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/02/adafruits-pi-cobbler-breakout-kit-puts-raspberry-pis-pins-to-w/

There's also this breakout board (similar to the Arduino Protoshield) which even has an Xbee socket:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slice-of-Pi...=item4ab8725dcd

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I got the "You’ve Registered – Now it’s time to order!" email from Newark about 3 weeks ago, and it still says they can't handle my order yet. Should I bother waiting for them any longer, or just order from Allied Electronics?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Moey posted:

Looks like they may finally be caught up on orders/stock?

The Raspberry Pi page on Newark claims they have a bunch of them in stock and ready to ship.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Between the turbo mode and the extra RAM, I wonder how the new model would perform with OpenCV (one of the things I was hoping to do was play around with robot vision). I remember hearing about someone getting the old model to work with Kinect vision algorithms, but it was kind of slow.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
My Raspberry Pi was just shipped yesterday, though it seems the case I wanted won't be in stock until the end of the month.

I did, however, receive all the other accessories I had ordered, including this keyboard:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/ADAFRUIT-INDUSTRIES-922-/83-14403

It looks like it could be useful as a remote control for a robot or automated system, or to control a media center platform (You could even use the built-in laser pointer to play with your cat while you're watching something).

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I noticed this cute little thing in an MCM electronics banner ad, and I immediately thought it could be a neat Raspberry Pi accessory. It's a bare 3" LCD screen with a composite connector:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14400

It looks like it could be great for using the Pi in some sort of portable device, or as an Arduino-on-steroids in an automated system.

A few pages back, I mentioned the prospect of putting the Pi into a miniature MAME cabinet, like an old electronic toy. That looks like it'd be the right screen for something like that.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's not quite a Raspberry Pi, but is anyone else following the Parallella at all? It's basically two ARM cores supervising 16 or 64 Epiphany floating-point cores. It's not gonna challenge the NVidia cards for HPC or displace a high-end DSP but 22/90 GFLOPS for 5 watts seems pretty reasonable for something embedded and hackable. Seems like this would make simple/low-power software defined radios possible at a pretty low price point for example.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone

If someone could develop adapt ROS and OpenCV to use the features of that thing, it'd be an awesome platform for small vision-capable robots. You could fit one of those in a medium size quadcopter.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Incase anyone else is interested, the updated Beaglebones just became "available" from Newark. They're $45 a pop and should be much more powerful than the Pi (although who knows if a community will spring up to do an XBMC release or whatever). Ship date looks to be May 13th, so hopefully I won't be in for too wild of a ride to get mine.

This one even has a micro HDMI connector, so no more paying extra (and giving up a bunch of GPIO pins) for video output.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Someone just launched a Kickstarter page for an FPGA module for the Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1575992013/logi-fpga-development-board-for-raspberry-pi-beagl/comments

Let's hope someone starts working on some motion control code and Linux CNC drivers soon - this could be a major step forward for hobbyist 3D printing and CNC machines.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

JawnV6 posted:

... ok, perhaps some clarification is in order. I am very familiar with FPGA's and their uses and capabilities.

I am questioning, for this specific problem space, what they're bringing to the table when I can find what seems to be complete solutions on other, boring and traditional, computing substrates.

Accurately driving a CNC machine at decent speed (as well as many robotics applications) requires tight real-time control, something that FPGAs are way better at than a traditional CPU (I hear ARM CPUs in particular don't do so great with real-time control).

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

JawnV6 posted:

Care to take a gander at the CPU based CNC controller board I've posted a couple times about and maybe critique that instead of echoing seemingly baseless assertions? It's a shipping product and if they're blatantly lying through their teeth it would be nice to know.

I'm sure the TinyG would work well for most of the hobbyist CNC machines and 3D printers currently out there. The main advantage of an FPGA is that it has the potential to easily allow for more advanced machines (5 axis mills, upgrading stepper motors to servos).

It'd be especially useful for reading encoders - one quardrature encoder requires two interrupt lines to be read by a CPU, and most CPUs have a limited number of them. A decent FPGA could be set up to keep track of as many encoders as one could possibly need.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I'm looking to connect an analog joystick to my Pi and read it using a simple Python program. I've tried a Logitech F310, but half the time I can't get the Pi to recognize when it's plugged in (though I did buy it refurbished off eBay, so...). I've heard of people connecting Does anyone know of a simple, reliable solution? Perhaps connect a bare joystick module to an analog-digital converter?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Rexxed posted:

I'm not sure about the analog joystick component, but could the gamepad be drawing too much current for the USB ports to handle normally? Have you tried it through a powered USB hub?

I've tried it both ways, and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

fishmech posted:

The PineA64 project has successfully funded, and I'm in for one of the higher spec devices (which still cost less than a shipped pi 2). Eager to see what the real world performance will be like.

Being specifically designed to run off a lithium ion battery should come in handy, not to mention the real-time clock.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I've been looking into getting into computer vision for robotics. Do you suppose the Pi Model 3 would have the power to calculate a stereo depth map from a pair of cameras? I'd probably be using only 640x480 resolution for each camera, but I'd need it to reliably handle a good framerate (ideally 90Hz).

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ItBurns posted:

20th Edit after some more research... It looks like the Broadcom VideoCore IV in the Pi works with OpenCV now that they've opened up the source. I guess the real question is whether it's going to be worth it to pay more for a more powerful GPU because you're not going to get 90hz out of the Pi. Some quick searching turned up some projects that used the RPi for exactly this problem though.

Well, I might not need 90Hz if I can get good range (my intent was to bolt it to a high-performance R/C truck and have it avoid obstacles at 30-40mph), but I'd certainly need more than the 12FPS people seem to be getting.

I don't suppose there are any meaningful alternatives?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Marzzle posted:

Consider using a much faster processor for computer vision stuff. For going that speed, you may just want to move over to x86 and as fast and small as you can afford. Maybe transmitting video/control to a pc tower would be the most cost effective way of doing it. Not that big of a deal to not have the processing actually happening on Baird the thing going 40 mph.

I was planning on entering a Robomagellan competition. I'm pretty sure they'd require that all computing power be on the robot itself.

How about one of those single-board x86 computers, like this thing:

http://www.acrosser.com/Products/Single-Board-Computer/3%EF%BC%8E5%E2%80%99%E2%80%99-SBC/AMB-BT19S1/Single-Board-Computer-AMB-BT19S1.html

One Robomagellan team actually used something like it, though apparently their camera was only used for color recognition.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ItBurns posted:

There are some Jetson development boards from Nvidia that will support CUDA and a variety of boards for mobile phone development that will give you access to higher end mobile GPUs and OpenCV.

The Jetson boards look like just the thing for what I had planned, thank you. More expensive than the Pi, but I shouldn't need the latest model. Plus it would be nice to have more than one USB port.

I've wondered if some of these 1/5 scale R/C trucks could mount a MicroATX PC, but that's something for a whole 'nother thread.

quote:

Bear in mind that most/all commercial vehicles are still using radar for this thing.

You mean those things that are way too expensive for anyone other than well-funded robotics researchers? https://www.robotshop.com has a few small LIDAR units for under $2000, but even that's more than I was looking to spend.

My initial interest in the Pi was mainly because of this thing:

http://www.emlid.com/

It's an Ardupilot board which goes on top of a Raspberry Pi (the Ardupilot firmware has a version for cars and boats). It seems the Ardupilot system has a function for GPS-IMU Kalman filtering, which would be nice since the rules for some Robomagellan competitions mention parts of the course where GPS might be unreliable.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

40mph translates into almost 18 meters per second - probably too fast to rely on sensors with a 4-5m range.

The down side is that it only measures in one direction - if you need it to sweep like the one on Google's car, you'll have to add your own motor.

At least it has plenty of range (40m). I might be able to make it work if I had a simple mapping function so the robot wouldn't forget about obstacles as soon as it steers away.

Edit: Looks like someone took care of that, though their estimated ship date isn't until November (at least they appear to have their poo poo together such that this Kickstarter has a sporting chance):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scanse/sweep-scanning-lidar?ref=nav_search

Plus it looks like the Pi can at least work with simple blob detection (such as locating the traffic cones used as goal points in the Robomagellan contest). And part of my goal was simply to get some experience working with computer vision.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 28, 2016

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
The World's First Hemp Plane

quote:

The Hemp Plane will be built using an existing design. Doing this helps to cut costs by eliminating the timely and expensive prototype phase. Utilizing a model that already works will assure that the Hemp Plane will take to the skies with 100% success when it comes time to fly. We’re taking everything on the plane that is currently made from fiberglass and other non-sustainable materials and replacing it with hemp products. When everything is said and done the Hemp Plane will be constructed from 75% Hemp or more!

They claim that hemp can be effectively substituted for fiberglass or carbon in composites. I guess that's more or less plausible given what else has been done with hemp.

Everything else reads like your average everyday hemp crusader ramblings. Never mind that anyone who hasn't been convinced by all the other things that hemp has been used for (plus the absolute lack of evidence that marijuana usage is, by any sane standard, a serious enough threat to public health to justify prohibition) is unlikely to be affected by this (or otherwise listen to reason).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I've been looking for a Raspberry Pi 4B that's not bundled with crap I don't need or marked up by some rear end in a top hat scalper, and I noticed that Newark is taking preorders with stock expected in late April:

https://www.newark.com