Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
The targeted customer base is definately students and low income families, but there are definately a lot more use cases than that. I would like one that I can stick in a box with a solar charger, running a linux distro with a wifi card in AP mode, serving up a wikipedia mirror during daylight hours. Why? Why not, it's $45 to provide something neat that will potentially be useful after the zombie apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

Pretty bizarre seeing as you could get a new ATV2 for the same price.
I have some cool projects that an rpi would work great for and an atv2 would suck for.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
depending on the power utilization i am going to try to build an always on solar powered hotspot with integrated webserver hosting a wikipedia mirror.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

bobua posted:

I guess I should elaborate on equivalent... single board, fanless, tiny. There seems to be a lot in the way of small pc's, but they still tend to be pc's, set up for a real hard drive, external ram, etc. Definitely not something you'd 'embed.'
How tiny?

http://www.amazon.com/ECS-Elitegroup-C-60-Motherboard-HDC-I2/dp/B009LHWD6W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371441907&sr=8-3&keywords=amd+c60

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I'm a normal IT guy with zero electronics experience but a few raspberry pi powered projects in mind. I have my first pi, and have created a very basic proof of concept for my first project. It's very basic though, and I need to do some more experimentation. I know that at this point I really want a cheap rear end variety pack of resistors, relays, and leds for testing. Unfortunately, googling that phrase wasn't necessarily helpful and I don't want to order a bunch of individual parts when I know someone else probably sells a starter kit that is exactly what I am looking for. Can someone point to such a starter kit?

I want to make sure I am clear, I don't need a Pi or Arduino, I don't think I want a breadboard at this point, and I don't need all kinds of weird poo poo, just the basics. I have a soldering iron, plenty of wire, and general knowledge of what I need to do to accomplish my EXTREMELY basic projects. I just don't have all the components and don't want to try to piece everything together myself at this point, because I know I'll buy what I think I need then discover I needed a different resistor or something.

edit: bonus points if it has two magnet switches in the kit

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
To be honest, you are going to pay as much to make the Pi work with plex as you would if you bought a firetv stick and the plex app.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

YouTuber posted:

Anyone got a good listing of projects for the Raspberry Pi?
My two awesome projects:

1) garage door opener and monitor
2) pi sump pump monitor

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Bovril Delight posted:

This seems like a Not Great Idea.
only pussies need grounds.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Electrical safety stuff is there for a reason
Just to piss off people who know how to get by without it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dead Goon posted:

There is one mouse, there are lots of mice.

Except when referring to computing peripherals, in which case you may find many mouses.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Famethrowa posted:

Just took the plunge and got the starter kit and a usb harddrive. First time ever doing something hacky, going to attempt to make a wireless NAS. Any precautions for a utterly green noob?
The worst thing htat happens is you lose all your files on the nas, so keep copies until you feel confident that you succeeded. As long as you remember that, the worst that happens is you paid money for something that you lose interest in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

http://hackaday.com/2016/02/28/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-3/

So the waitlist will be 1/3 as bad as the Zero, probably less because I can't foresee as much demand for the 3, because $35 isn't the same price as your vanilla soy latte every morning.
Indeed, part of the allure of the zero is it is effectively throwaway cheap.