Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Looks like the first batch is going on Sale 6am (GMT) Wednesday:

Raspberrypi.com posted:

The Raspberry Pi Foundation will be making a big (and very positive) announcement that just might interest you at 0600h GMT on Wednesday 29 February 2012. Come to https://www.raspberrypi.org to find out what’s going on.

Twitter posted:

@barsteward:
@Raspberry_Pi Do I need to be up at 6am on my day off to order it or is this an announcement that requires action at a more sociable time?

@Raspberry_Pi:
@barsteward I'm not allowed to say (arcane contractual stuff) - but I *can* say that you'll be furious w/ yourself if you miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Does anybody know any models of these:

which work on a Raspberry Pi?

I'm basically looking to stream my cable box (albeit in SD) across my network, so figured if I can get a working mpeg input I can use VLC to send it out...

blunt fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 8, 2016

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

YouTuber posted:

Just how exactly is this going to work? You're broadcasting a single channel? I can stream my Cable over the network using an HDHomerun device but that requires a card to decrypt it provided by the cable company.

British cable, if that makes a difference? The box has analogue outs that match whatever's going out over HDMI and aren't encrypted/don't require a card etc - this would just show whatever the box is currently tuned to, not a different channel. Can then change channel from an app I already use.

YouTuber posted:

I don't even think that the Pi is cable of transcoding a 480p stream in the first place.

I was intending to just broadcast the incoming stream, not transcode it. You're right though that there's probably a decent change the Pi couldn't handle that.

ickna posted:

As I recall from when I was building my security cam box to run Motion, they're kind of hit or miss depending on which chip is inside them. Googling around for discussions and amazon links from others using Motion might be a good place to start.

Ema Nymton posted:

The idea of working with that on thing on linux / Raspberry Pi makes me :stonk: inside. I have an EasyCap just like that and getting it to work on Windows 10 was a journey in pain. It shipped with weird unsigned drivers for Windows XP/7, and tracking down its new Win10 drivers took hours of work.

But considering the quality you'd get on RCA composite, it might be easier if you got a 720p webcam and pointed it at your actual TV. Seriously.

Hadlock posted:

Depending on the analog video source it could be as high as 500 horizontal lines, you'd need a 1080 camera to be sure

But yeah those cheap Chinese analog digital converters and their drivers are a disaster to work with.

These don't fill me with hope at all. Quality isn't really that important as it's just to go to a PC in a room where no cables have been run, but you've successfully convinced me a Pi isn't going to be the right tool for a 'DIY Slingbox'.

In the meantime my Pi is doing an excellent job as a LAN cam aggregator/broadcaster. Weirdly enough it happily picked up a PS3 Eye Toy without needing drivers.

blunt fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 10, 2016

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Alan Is More Upset posted:

I think we should start referring to is as "No Man's PI" because people are buying them and asking "BUT WHAT DO I DO WITH IT???"

Right now I'm using my Pi to run an NGinx proxy & dynamic DNS for some stuff on my local network that I want to access remotely, using Lets-Encrypt to add SSL (as the devices don't natively support it). Works great :dance:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Does anyone have any experience running a Plex server on a pi 3? Specifically if it can handle transcoding (standard def MPEG 2 and HD MPEG 4)?

The media library would be wired Ethernet instead of USB if that makes a difference.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Wired ethernet won't help because it's on the USB bus anyway.

Yeah I realised that after posting :( To be clear, this would just be to access the plex web interface over a phone/other computer, not to view the media on the Pi - just transcode it where necessary.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

blunt posted:

Does anyone have any experience running a Plex server on a pi 3? Specifically if it can handle transcoding (standard def MPEG 2 and HD MPEG 4)?

The media library would be wired Ethernet instead of USB if that makes a difference.

Just in case anyone else was wondering about this, it turns out Plex won't do any transcoding on ARM chips :(

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Out of curiosity, does it entirely refuse to do it, or just fail at performance? Libav is there on Raspbian jessie, and ffmpeg there on stretch. As I've found out though, the CPU just doesn't have the grunt to use x264 at reasonable settings in anything approaching real time.

I've only looked at Rasplex, which states in their FAQ that "While it is possible to run Plex Media Server on a Raspberry Pi, there are limitations, for example, no transcoding". Then looking on Reddit people are reporting that Plex haven't made transcoding available on the ARM architecture, so it looks like an intentional limitation by them.

I assume Kodi would do it, but I'm only interested in running a server and not a frontend - I've just set up plex on an Ubuntu VM on my desktop instead and it's happily transcoding there.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Does emby?

This suggests that transcoding is enabled on emby but ffmpg can only do about 15fps, so not real time. I'd imagine that's why Plex outright disabled it.

Interestingly it turns out that even if you've bought an mpeg2 licence to do hardware decoding on the pi, emby doesn't recognise it and so does all mpeg2 playback in software only.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

This is pretty interesting - Asus have just launched a "Tinker Board"

quote:

The Tinker Board features a fast on-board processor to increase its operational speed. It also features Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities to enhance the functionality to allow connection to a variety of wireless networks.

* Quad core 1.8GHz ARM Cortex-A17 CPU
* 2GB Dual channel LPDDR3 memory
* Gigabit LAN and Bluetooth 4.0 + EDR connectivity
* 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi
* 4x USB 2.0 ports
* 40-pin Internal header with 28 GPIO pins
* Contact points for PWM and S/PDIF signals
* 1x 3.5mm Audio jack connection
* CSI port for camera connection
* DSI port supporting HD resolution
* 1x HDMI 2.0 port to support 4K resolution
* Micro SD port supports UHS-I
* Supports Debian OS with KODI
* Power supply: 5V/ 2A Micro USB (not included)

Available for £55 in the UK and uh, 599NOK in Norway. Presumably more locations will follow soon...

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

According to this the Pi Zero W idles at 120ma, pulls 170ma watching 1080p video and 230mah shooting 1080p video. So if it's intermittent, assuming an average of something like 150ma, a 10000mah battery like this one would run for ~66 hours before needing a recharge.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Woot regularly has refurb chromebooks for $99. One of those would probably be perfect for your use case.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Spazzle posted:

I have a usb powered portable monitor connected into a pi. It is kinda like a laptop in portability.

Did you need to do any configuration or do they just work natively?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Is a usb thumb drive more resilient than an sd card or does it need to be a usb HDD/SSD?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Oldstench posted:

I have a Pi 3 B+ with Kodi running on it. I want to somehow set it up to dual boot into both Kodi and Raspbian so I can use it as a Parsec client for my PC. Is there a way to set up dual boot capabilities without wiping the SD card first? My Kodi install is finally (mostly) customized to how my wife and I like it and I really don't want to have to re-set it up.

Could you add Parsec to your Kodi install?

That specific project hasn't been updated in 2 years so might no longer work (I don't keep up with Kodi), but it suggests there's at least other people out there who are solving/solved this problem 🤞

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there a reliable method to buy a microSD card on Amazon and not get scammed?

Nobody other than Amazon is able to list new AmazonBasics micro SD cards, so in theory those are never fakes

Apparently they work well in Pi's - https://bret.dk/is-the-amazon-basics-microsd-card-still-worth-it/