Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The first thing I did when one showed up here was to load XBMC and play the highest bitrate rip I have (~32mbit/sec bluray source). It was fine, even while the thing was slaughtering the CPU trying to load in all the thumbnails.

The TV it's on doesn't really get used to watch videos often, but I haven't seen a problem yet with the actual playback. Everything else it shows it's lack of grunt quite clearly, navigating the menus is slower and choppier than my first-gen Atom HTPC. Don't use a complicated skin and as long as your content can be decoded in hardware it'll be fine.

If it's an odd codec and needs to step out to CPU land, HD will probably be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Storage on WiFi is a bad idea no matter how you implement it. WiFi is for convenience, portable devices where it's the only option that allows them to be used as intended, low-bandwidth appliances where it doesn't matter, etc. Stationary devices where performance matters (storage, game consoles, high-performance streaming clients) should always be wired when it's physically possible.

The Pi3 will be a nice performance upgrade from a CPU standpoint, but for what you're using it for you may be better served by a low-end NUC or similar. Gigabit ethernet and USB3 could mean huge differences in share performance. Either way plug the thing in.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LochNessMonster posted:

Does anyone have experience with the USB hub from the pi hut? This one: https://thepihut.com/products/7-port-usb-hub-for-the-raspberry-pi?variant=789554361

I was thinking about getting a pi zero for in my garage. Hook it up to an old monitor/wifi dongle/keyboard/mouse I'm not using, so I have a really low budget internet station for if I need to look things up when working on my bike.

I'd use a Pi 3 for that. Browsing the web on a Pi zero is painful. The internet expects multi-core at this point. Plus that gains you built-in WiFi and a bluetooth chip which you could connect to a bluetooth OBD-2 dongle, wireless keyboard/mouse, audio system, etc.

As far as the hub goes aside from some supporting higher power charge modes for devices there really shouldn't be any meaningful difference between USB 2.0 hubs.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A Pi0 runs a slightly faster Pi1 CPU, so you'd actually be better off browsing on the Zero versus an original. Basically think of the Zero as an overclocked 1+ B with ports removed. Pi2 and Pi3 are much more suitable for actual interactive use rather than appliances and toy servers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Is it possible to easily buy a pi zero yet?

I can go to Microcenter and pick one up any day of the week. I assume they're similarly available elsewhere.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The automatic connection you could handle by using a passwordless SSH key.

Automatically log in by doing something like this: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/3873/auto-login-with-gui-disabled-in-raspbian

Then have the user's login script do "ssh user@host".

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GobiasIndustries posted:

I want a device which would be used exclusively as an airplay server for audio. It would output via RCA to my parents' living room receiver. My parents would use it to play music via their iPhones or iTunes, and bluetooth is 100% not an option. What I want is for them to press the 'Music' button on their Harmony remote (to set the receiver to the rca audio input) and select 'Living Room' as output on their phone/pc and to have things work. Would a pi or pi2 work for this?
Volumio works really well and claims AirPlay support. I don't have any iOS devices to test with, but it's listed as a feature. I've been quite pleased with it as a music player, and if you need actual analog audio output it seems to support most of the external DACs.

YouTuber posted:

As for the quality of sound :shrug: I have poo poo hearing so I don't really know if a DAC makes it sound better, I think most of that Audiophile poo poo is snake oil.
You're usually correct, but a DAC is one of the few "audiophile" things that actually does matter. The one on the Pi is decent but not great, you'd probably have no trouble telling a HiFiBerry or similar apart in an A/B test on a decent sound system. Whether it's enough of a difference to care about is of course a subjective matter.

If HDMI is an option of course just use that. A decent home theater receiver should have sufficiently good DACs to compare to any reasonably priced Pi accessories.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Skarsnik posted:

Pi's can network boot too I think now? So you could drop the card entirely in theory

Never tried it myself

Huh, so they can...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/net_tutorial.md

Gonna have to give that a shot some time. It'd be nice to have all my Kodi boxes booting from the same image.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

apropos man posted:

Perhaps you could add a script which will echo the ifconfig command automatically at startup to a remote website (or some place) that you control? Then you could look at your website on external Internet, work out the internal address of the Pi and ssh in from the LAN.

I was bored, so I threw together this:

code:
#!/bin/bash

submit_url="http://your.server.address/submit"

serialnumber=$(grep Serial /proc/cpuinfo | cut -d " " -f2)
ipaddress=$(ip route get 8.8.8.8 | awk '/8.8.8.8/ {print $NF}')
interface=$(ip route get 8.8.8.8 | awk '/dev/ {f=NR} f&&NR-1==f' RS=" ")
macaddress=$(ifconfig $interface | awk '/HWaddr/ {print $NF}')

curl --data "serial=$serialnumber&int=$interface&ip=$ipaddress&mac=$macaddress" -m 15 -S -s -o /dev/null $submit_url
No guarantees of quality but it works on my LibreELEC and Raspbian Pis.

It'll gather the serial number of the Pi as well as the information of the primary network interface and submit that data as a HTTP POST. The receiving end of that is up to you.

Set submit_url to wherever you want and put this script somewhere in your boot process after the network is initialized. You could also make it a cron job. If for whatever reason 8.8.8.8 is inaccessible to these hosts you can replace it with any IP address that'll be found on the interface you care about.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 11, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Lack of H.265 support kind of neuters its usefulness as a 4K Kodi box, but the extra horsepower still could be nice. I'm not really familiar with how good Rockchip is about kernels, but it looks like there might be pretty reasonable support.

General_Failure posted:

What I would love is an HDMI to ~15KHz VGA adapter. I know, kind of nuts and pointless but it'd be neat to drive my Amiga monitors with. Or failing that, S-Video because the signals work fine with the Commodore Luma and Chroma ports.
http://celso.io/2012/12/17/connecting-a-raspberry-pi-to-an-old-15khz-arcade-monitor.html

HDMI->VGA, then a VGA 15KHz adapter.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wolrah posted:

Lack of H.265 support kind of neuters its usefulness as a 4K Kodi box, but the extra horsepower still could be nice.

Apparently one of the articles down the link chain from the previous post had a bad infographic only listing H.264 support.

Ars lists it as having H.265 support in hardware in their article (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/asus-tinker-board-price-specs-release-date/) and from a bit of searching it seems like the RK3288 may have been the first widely available SoC with H.265 support.

It'll also be interesting to see what they mean by Kodi support, because I've found a lot of posts on the Kodi forums with devs telling people to avoid RK hardware if they want mainline hardware decoding.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

General_Failure posted:

Small update. I grabbed an admittedly overpriced 2.4A USB supply yesterday. loving lightning bolt is there even with a few % CPU load. gently caress the designers for specifying MicroUSB as the standard for the power jack. Seriously. Everything has to be completely out of spec to power the drat thing. The Orange Pi and probably quite a few others had the right idea with a barrel connector. I like the Pi 3. Really I do. But this poo poo!
haha holy poo poo I'm typing this post on it. 6% load. Lightning bolt and I just saw a corrupted scanline. When I finish it's being shut down again.

Something is really weird with your Pi. I have three of 'em running off three different generic power supplies and I've never seen the low power indication. I've seen the overheat indication plenty (until I put heatsinks on them all) but never any power problems.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Froist posted:

Even though you can run Debian on the Pi, it doesn't mean all Debian-compatible software will run on it.

i386 means the .deb file you have is for Intel (and compatible) processors, whereas the Pi is Arm based ("armhf"). You need alternate packages which have been built for Arm architectures, and unfortunately (as far as I know) there's no such distribution available for Dropbox.

Not only this, but Raspbian in particular is an even more limited subset of Debian for ARM. Debian officially supports ARMv4 (armel), ARMv7 (armhf), and ARMv8 (arm64). Raspbian is a custom port of Debian armhf to ARMv6 to support the CPU in the original Raspberry Pi. The Pi 2 is ARMv7 compatible and the Pi 3 is ARMv8 compatible, but with the exception of the later two getting an ARMv7 kernel everything else in the Raspbian system is built for ARMv6. I'm pretty sure this means that Debian armhf packages are incompatible with Raspbian armhf libraries and vice versa, but don't take my word on that. There are scripts to convert a Raspbian system on Pi 2/3 over to Debian armhf and there's ongoing work on an arm64 kernel for the Pi 3, but they're not straightforward to use and the 64 bit one has no working video output at this time.

Debian i386 is also a misnomer these days, 386 support was dropped in Debian 3.1 due to GCC changes, 486 support was "somewhat accidentally" dropped in Debian 6 (and no one noticed for over a year), and 586 (Pentium) support has been dropped for the upcoming Debian 9. At this point i686 is a more accurate description, but for what I assume are probably upgrade compatibility related reasons they keep the old name.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 4, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mantle posted:

I want to try the directfb or fbcon driver, but I can't understand the instructions on how to set the environment variable. Where do I set this in Chip OS?

How to set an environment variable depends on your shell, but since you're probably using bash the answer is "export variable=value".

You can also do "variable=value command" as a one-liner if you only need the variable to be set for that one command. export makes it stick around for the session. If you want to set it every time look in to the .profile file.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 6, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

No, you have to leave the semicolon out.

derp, fixed

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

YouTuber posted:

I thought the Pi3 was going to get AOSP support but it appears not. The device tree is still empty 10 months later. If the Pi had Android support it would make a great Android TV device.

There are unofficial Android builds for it, but they are janky. I just played with one the other day and you can definitely get Play Store working and all that stuff, but 3D is weird, the mouse cursor is broken, and a few other lesser issues also there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Backlighting behind a display makes it easier on the eyes when watching in the dark, and IIRC the color backlighting helps perceived contrast.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GobiasIndustries posted:

This is not a thing that comes across well when recorded I assume? Watching that video just made it seem distracting, IMO. Not that the project isn't cool, but I don't think I've heard of this before so now I'm curious.

I don't have it yet myself, I need to rebuild my projector screen before I can make use of it, but I'd imagine a lot like f.lux and similar it's noticeable when you're actively thinking about it, but it just blends in and makes things better if you're not.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hadlock posted:

I wish they would swap the Micro-USB On-The-Go port for USB-C or just a regular USB port. Not that it matters, they'll sell out instantly and you won't be able to buy one for over a year

I like the OTG port. My current zero is running with the OTG port acting like a network adapter so I can easily connect to it from my PC.

Obviously that use doesn't really apply to the 0W, but since it can also be used to emulate an input device, a disk drive, etc. there's a lot of fun to be had with that.

I'd be fine with a type C since that can retain OTG functionality, but definitely not a type A.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

huhu posted:

I have a camera/raspberry pi setup in my makerspace which I'd like to upload images to my hosting. My current thoughts with regards to security are to password protect the Raspberry Pi itself and then use SSH to send files from the Pi to my hosting. As far as leaving the login info to my hosting on the Pi, should I be worried about this? Is there some way to have it so the Pi can only have access to create image files on my hosting and do nothing else?

Create a user who only has permissions to the one directory you want the files to land in, then use SSH keys?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hadlock posted:

Wow the Zero W is very competitive with the A+ plus it has onboard wifi and Bluetooth. I've never been able to setup a TCP/IP link over Bluetooth but it looks like it'd make a great low power robotics controller. My A+ had a janky 4 port unpowered hub hanging off it to do wifi (general file transfer) and Bluetooth (PS3 controller)
The Zero is basically an overclocked A+ with miniaturized I/O, and a Zero W is just that plus a radio, so yeah if you're doing what you want currently with an A+ you could definitely switch over with minimal pain.

quote:

It would be nice if they actually ship these in quantity where I can buy one in a store for under $50 someday
Also just walked in to my Microcenter and the first time they had a pile on the shelves, the second time they had them behind the front service area where you had to ask but they still had over a dozen.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Can you connect multiple bluetooth gamepads to a pi and use them at the same time? Four would be great, 2 would be just fine.

Should work just fine. A Bluetooth piconet can contain up to 8 active devices at once, so 7 controllers attached to the host would be the technical limit assuming you weren't using Bluetooth for anything else.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you want to do emulation I would STRONGLY recommend choosing a Pi 3 instead. The Zero is painful even to browse the web on. If you want to emulate anything better than maybe a SNES you're going to want the faster processor and more RAM.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GobiasIndustries posted:

After loving around with the Zero W for emulation....I ended up picking up a Pi 3. :lol: It was fine but GBA games had major issues and Microcenter was selling the 3 for $30 and I have apparently no willpower. Gonna solder some header pins on the W and use it for some automation stuff.

Ironically I bought another Zero W today. I'm now up to three of which two are already earmarked for specific projects, but I haven't had time to even boot a single one up.

I'm kinda wishing I had picked up another 3 as well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GobiasIndustries posted:

How much power do the Zero Ws use? I've got a pi 2 running as a dhcp server, wouldn't mind converting a zero W and powering it off my Archer C7's USB port.

A DHCP server on WiFi seems like a poor choice for reasons that shouldn't even need to be explained. I mean I'm sure if you have OpenWRT on that Archer you could use it in USB network mode and bridge it there, but at that point why not just put the DHCP server on the OpenWRT box and skip the Pi altogether?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GobiasIndustries posted:

My main network uses a DHCP server that isn't hosted on the C7, the guest network needs its own DHCP server (I'm guessing some sort of vlan voodoo within the Archer software). For reasons that shouldn't even need to be explained the Pi 2 has worked perfectly for several months now.

I was assuming the Pi 2 wasn't on WiFi. An ethernet connected standalone DHCP server is entirely reasonable. If the Pi 2 is connected to the guest network as a wifi client that's definitely not a setup I'd recommend anyone ever do but switching to a Zero W at least won't make it any worse.

WiFi is for convenience on things that move. Using it for things that don't move is silly on its own, using it for a server is just bad.

I have never heard of a home wifi device offering a guest mode but not being able to run a DHCP server on that guest network.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Those are pretty awesome little boards, you definitely can't go wrong. They ship with a Lua based firmware on them, as noted if you like Arduino you can do that, and they're also an officially supported platform for MicroPython.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

internet inc posted:

Can you easily install Android on a Raspberry Pi 3 to use mostly the Google Play Music app with a 3.5 inches touchscreen display? Kinda like having an extra phone around?

Android on Pi3 is a thing but it kind of sucks. It's in a pretty similar state to Android on x86 where there are a few random somewhat insular projects, often out of Asia, that coordinate on Yahoo or Google groups and don't really have a critical mass of developers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

Android on x86 is well-supported these days at least as a development environment. Intel clings to it.

Android on x86 phone SoCs and the related Android Emulator are not what I'm referring to, I mean Android on generic PC hardware, which for some reason is apparently a lot harder than it seems like it should be.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'd prefer the socket side of header pins, since those can have a wire jammed in easily for testing and prototyping, but the pins are good enough.

I have one of those Zero cases with a breadboard attached and I just stick the wires right in the holes on my Zero W.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fixit posted:

Do you mean limited in that it only runs old versions of it? If that is the case not worried. Or is the FPS bad?

Minecraft for Pi is a special version distinct from the others. It's based on one of the alpha releases of the mobile version from back in 2013, slightly simplified, and it's been abandoned.

Netflix is technically possible but not really useful. You can use the Widevine DRM module, but it requires software decoding of video so higher bitrates are not playable. Apparently 720p mostly works but sometimes hitches, 1080p does not work at all.

If you want Minecraft and Netflix on a TV basically every other option is a better choice than a Pi.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a way to get a second USB bus onto a Pi of any flavour? I'm not sure if there's enough bandwidth through GPIO to drive that, though I only need low speed. Googling only gets me information about adding ports to the existing controller, though I might be missing a keyword.

It should be possible to run one of these https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/interface/controllers-expanders/MAX3421E.html on the SPI bus. There does appear to be support for that chip in the Linux kernel.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Why are you involving a Pi Zero in this at all? The iPad supports USB keyboards natively and would likely be much better at running emulators than a Pi Zero forwarding frames over WiFi. Also the Pi internal wifi is CPU heavy to the point that running a webcam on a 0W can interfere with its ability to feed instructions to a 3D printer. That's pretty bad.

Just do the Teensy-based input device direct to the tablet.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kodilynn posted:

Can this be done to the Pi 3 as well? With the pizero it seems to power it just fine so wasn't sure if that'd still apply before I go attempting it.

I don't see a reason why that shouldn't work assuming your USB power source can handle the Pi 3's demand and the loss in the HDMI cable, but I am curious why you'd want to power a Pi 3 over HDMI with a weird standards-breaking adapter like that.

The Zero pictured makes sense since it's being used inside a game controller where having a single cable exiting the center is important for a reasonable feel. Doing non-standard things to achieve that is a reasonable tradeoff, but I'm having a harder time coming up with where that would be necessary with a larger device.

I'm tired of finding homebrew power-over-ethernet solutions when I work on networks so I'm kind of over just passively injecting power where it isn't expected to be as a general rule. Solutions like 802.3af and MHL which intelligently inject power only when the device at the far end actually asks for it are the correct answer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
This library does pretty much exactly that as far as I'm aware: https://github.com/jgarff/rpi_ws281x

You still have the level conversion to deal with but that's the same as APA102s, you can sometimes get away without it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Windows unfortunately makes the assumption in a lot of places that removable flash devices only ever have one partition which takes up the full capacity of the device, so anything involving dealing with devices having any other configuration becomes a lot more of a pain in the rear end than it should be.

If you have access to a Mac or Linux machine (including another Pi as long as the distro on it is relatively mainstream) it's generally a lot easier to just use that, otherwise seconding the recommendation to use GParted Live (just be careful to have the right device selected as you can easily bork your system drive).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BigRed0427 posted:

So a thing I wanna make, and have seen various guides for, is a TOR router using a Raspberry Pi 3. Now the guides I have seen, except for one, show how to do it with the Ethernet port as the input and the on-board Wifi as the output. But I want to make portable router I can use on public Wi-fi. Is there a guide for that anywhere that is a little more in-depth on what I need to do?

You'd be doing pretty much exactly the same thing, just swapping the interface names around. The only difference would be having to add a way to control the WiFi interface.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Just use the "Lite" version of Raspbian rather than trying to strip down the desktop version if you're running headless. That'll give you something pretty close to a base Debian install to start with.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

eschaton posted:

If you’re going to do something like this you can run official Fedora Server 27 as either ARMv7 or AArch64 on your Raspberry Pi 3 hardware, and not worry about how to set up Raspbian to be more like stock Debian or whatever.

FreeBSD 12.0 also has Raspberry Pi 3 as a supported platform for which they generate binaries, though its currently prerelease. (NetBSD 7.1.1 also claims to support RPi3.)

1. Worry about what? Install Raspbian Lite, done. The differences from standard Debian Minimal at that point come down to basically hardware support and Raspbian having a SSH server and some dev tools preinstalled.

2. Almost every "Do $thing with a Raspberry Pi" tutorial out there will be assuming that you're running Raspbian or a derivative. For someone who's new to the Pi platform and/or Linux in general sticking with that will almost certainly be easier.

3. Personal preference, but every time I find myself dealing with yum or pkg I end up loving apt even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

are heat sinks necessary for rpi3? also does the system report temperature accurately?

Whether or not heatsinks are necessary depends on what you're doing with them. My Pi3s running LibreELEC ran just fine for the most part as long as I didn't have any long-running high-CPU processes. For the most part that meant I'd get a yellow heat warning icon when installing certain complicated scripts but that's it.

Trying to do MPEG2 in software when I added an OTA tuner to the mix was an immediate trip to clock throttling town (red icon). Adding heatsinks helped a lot, but they'd still get hot enough to throttle eventually until I bought the MPEG2 hardware license.

Also obviously if you're using a case a heatsink alone isn't really the most useful thing unless it's very well ventilated. There are a number of cases available with fans for more CPU-heavy use cases.