Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Schpyder posted:

Alright, Sirotan, you and Whisker Biscuit talked up Biere de Mars pretty good, so I grabbed a bomber from my local yesterday. I am drinking it now.

It's... really goddamn good. I just had a Bam Noire a week or so ago, and this reminds me of that except a little lighter and a good bit more tart. Really good. If it weren't 7%ABV, this would be a great session beer, assuming you like sours.

If you ever get a chance, the Grand Reserve version is even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Phanatic posted:

If you're that worried about BPA, you probably shouldn't be drinking what comes out of those cans on a regular basis, then. I'm more concerned about the inks etc. on the outside of the can.

I thought can liners didn't use BPA anymore? If that's not the case then I think my can love-train just went off the tracks. :(

Edit: Well, poo poo.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 19, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ubik posted:

If Vivant starts distributing to Chicago, I'll be really happy. They were my favorite stop on a recent trip through a bunch of Michigan breweries.

Man, I just now I had a Zaison from Brewery Vivant (I guess they can it?), and it was really terrible. So bad I switched beers with someone at my table. That might be the restaurant equivalent of a drain pour.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Speaking of the Chelis White that got bought out by the Michigan Brewing Company (which I had a taste of the other day, it was good!), welp:

quote:

Michigan Brewing Co. evicted from Webberville location

WEBBERVILLE — Michigan Brewing Co. was evicted Tuesday from its headquarters in Webberville, according to court records and officials familiar with the case.

The property, located at 1093 Highview Drive, was foreclosed after MBC failed to make loan payments to Zions First National Bank.

An entity called Highview Enterprises then bought the property but failed to reach a rental agreement with MBC and its lending company, Highview Holdings, said attorney Pat Gallagher, who represents Highview Enterprises.

Highview Enterprises went to 55th District Court in January for an order of eviction for MBC, which is typical in foreclosure cases, Gallagher said.

The order of eviction was carried out Tuesday, he said.

Bobby Mason, the president of MBC and head of Highview Holdings, could not immediately be reached for comment.

It’s unclear at this point how the eviction could affect MBC’s other sites, including its downtown Lansing restaurant and brew pub, or its beverage-making business, which include rocker Kid Rock’s American Badass Beer.

oh no not my Badass American Lager :ohdear:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Midorka posted:

USPS to potentially make shipping beer legal. It will only be for licensed retailers, but it's a pretty big step as I imagine many online beer retailers will start popping up now which could put a damper on Ebay selling potentially. This could also be a great way for stores to clear out stock getting old because they will be able to reach new customers.

Pretty sure they are still going to force anyone who wants to ship beer/wine to be 'licensed', and it's not going to change laws in states that prohibit the shipment of alcohol. Fedex and UPS have allowed shipments of alcohol from licensed retailers for years so....there's virtually no progress being made here.

Now if they let just anyone ship beer/wine, it would be different. For now I'll just continue to ship my 'olive oil' through Fedex.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mahoning posted:

Anyone ever attend Founders Fest before? I might be going this year because the special lady and I have some friends up in Michigan that we haven't visited in awhile, and I have the entire week leading up to Founders Fest off.

If you are big into music and like hearing local bands play for hours you might enjoy it. I went one year and found it to be kinda meh. They do put on a few special beers for the event but otherwise it's nothing spectacular.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 2, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Editing to avoid double posting.

Mahoning posted:

Yeah I wasn't really expecting any sort of Dark Lord Day type madness. Is it good/fun enough for two beer nerds and their ladies to enjoy on a Saturday afternoon?

I guess? Your experience might be much different from mine. I'm from Grand Rapids originally so I go back all the time to do stuff, and have been to Founders a bunch. Going to Founder's Fest was sorta like just another trip to Founders, except it was outside, really hot, and packed with people. We got there when it started and maybe stayed 4-5 hours before leaving.

CalvinDooglas posted:

I'm pretty sure this tread would be gassed every other week if not for Firefox's automatic spell checking.

heh

ChiTownEddie posted:

Thanks for the tips for a long the way, I may check out Dark Horse or Jolly Pumpkin. Are there any in the city of Detroit?

Theres not much in the way of breweries in Detroit, but there are some good brewpubs and some excellent restaurants with good tap lists. I've never been but Foran's Grand Trunk is right downtown and I always hear good things about it. Slow's is a BBQ place with very good beer. I highly recommend them but if you are in a time crunch don't bother, any time of day you are looking at a 45min+ wait, though sometimes if its just me and a friend we get lucky with scoring a seat at the bar. Either way, it's worth it.

Do not miss Jolly Pumpkin.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 3, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

Tiger Jelly was pretty good!

As previously mentioned, the initial release of Hopslam this year went quick. The 2nd batch was easier to find. I managed to get sixers of both because I personally believe it's one of those few hype-worthy beers.

Nothing beats 2011, though, when Bell's released it in minikegs. For a friend's birthday, we snagged one. Needless to say, despite about 5 people at the party drinking it exclusively, we couldn't finish it. Too. Drunk.

I had the opposite 'problem'. Got one and popped it at an apartment-warming party. Had about the same number of drinkers and we got through that sucker in no time. Maybe we are just alcoholics. :v:

I also laugh whenever I see someone call Hopslam rare. Maybe its just because I live in Michigan but we still have it on the shelves and probably still will for weeks/months to come.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

Well, 2 of the 5 were women. And we all know how THEY drink...

And, yes, that's because you live in Michigan.

You got a problem with us women beer drinkers? :colbert:

my ratio was the same

Hopslam still isn't rare. CBS? Rare. Hopslam? Some places are under-allocated. Doesn't make it rare.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

Was kidding about the women drinker joke, of course.

Though I disagree about what is "rare": it's entirely subjective based on distribution. The much-mentioned Pliny isn't "rare," but I'll be damned if I can get my hands on a bottle without jumping through hoops because it's not sold anywhere near me. So me having a bottle? That's rare...

That's good since misogyny in previous beer threads has resulted in probations!

If you're looking for Pliny, I bought some for a friend recently from this site: http://blackwellswines.com/ Their website isn't the greatest so give them a call. Shipping rates were reasonable and they had two day old Pliny when I called, $5/btl. No hoops!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^They brew it every year I believe, I just don't think they will be bottling it again.

danbanana posted:

Another Illinois-goon can correct me, but I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of these sites won't ship to Illinois due to distribution laws.

Just to be obnoxious, I called them. You are in luck, they ship to your state!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

Best use of obnoxiousness ever. Thanks! Though I still wonder about the legality of that system. Would they have to be a registered distributor in the state or something? Illinois, with their shady business practices and all, seems to have a very tightly controlled distro system.

Well they aren't distributing beer though. Distributing beer would mean it's being shipped somewhere for resale. They are selling it directly to you. I'm sure they have licenses up the wazoo to be able to ship alcohol though.

Edit: I'm trying to find anything regarding direct-shipping of alcohol from out-of-state retailers to Illinois, and am just getting legislation relating to wine sales. So I'm going to say you should just look the other way in regards to legality and enjoy delicious beers.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 3, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Wow, I am at Jolly Pumpkin right now. This place is amazing, how did I not know of a brewery that specializes in sours? Thank you so much for the recommendation!
Drinking Oro de Calabaza right now, I think the wheatgrass IPA might be next.

Downside...im going to buy too many bottles :-)

I'm going to advise you to skip all the North Peak beers as they are kinda lovely. Also if it's not too late, get the Fire and Smoke pizza.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

escape artist posted:

I had Chimay Blue last night, the beer that initiated my foray into the craft beer world. I was very disappointed. I felt as if it had no complexity at all.

Did I get a bad bottle or is this how Chimay has always tasted and my palette is just changing?

It's funny, I had a Guinness the other day, it was only my second time ever drinking it. The first time was at the brewery in Dublin at the end of the tour. I didn't drink beer then and found it to be so bitter, after two sips I abandoned it and had to chew gum to get the taste out of my mouth. It may have been my first beer!

Four years later, I thought it was pretty good and I'd probably drink it again. :v:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

funkybottoms posted:

three years does not make DFH Fort any easier to drink. god, that is a gross loving beer. interestingly, though, a three year old keg of Chocolate Yeti has more hop and chili kick than the year old bottle i drank a few months ago- would this be a result of the kegs being stored at really low temperatures?

So I guess I should open my 2007 Fort sometime soon huh........

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I actually had some 2 or 3 years ago at a goon beer tasting in Chicago with a somewhat underwhelming turnout. My friend brought it with her and we foolishly opened it close to the start of the tasting. I think we ended up at two out of the many places we had ultimately planned on going. It's 18% ABV I think?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

I heard some stories about this

It wasn't pretty. On the upside, we discovered a nice place to get tacos while you're drunk at the train station near the Map Room!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Coulda sworn someone said earlier that one could age Hopslam, or was that just more "it still tastes ok if you have one kicking around afterward"?

'Cuz if not I'm totally busting out my last one tonight.

I've had good Hopslam up until it reaches about 10mo old. After that it starts going downhill fast. Also had my last bottle of the year two nights ago, still delicious.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mysterious frankie posted:

Go to the Ann Arbor Jolly Pumpkin brewpub and make me jealous.

Get the fire and smoke pizza, so goddamn delicious.

Speaking of JP, any Michigoons get a hold of the Jolly Pumpkin/Plum Market 'collaboration' beer today? I think I saw Corbet in line at the Ann Arbor store... Was going to Jolly Pumpkin tonight to have it on tap but ended up not being able to make it. What few reviews I've read describe it as not very plummy and thinner-bodied than Bam Biere.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Corbet posted:

Yeah I was there, dunno how I missed you. I managed to bring a co-worker to mule. Don't know when I'll open a bottle, it's a shame it isn't a plum bomb.

Welp. Had some tonight. Pretty disappointed really. Guy behind the bar told me it's Bam Noire with plums. And I didn't taste any plums.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Paul Proteus posted:

Amazing DIPA + Galaxy Hops + Can = Awesome
Chigoons go get it! (Thanks ShaneB for the heads up).

holy poo poo those cans are amazing :aaa:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You had it a second time?? You're just encouraging them you know. To make even more terrible beer. I have no sympathy at all for you people.

And cilantro does taste like soap. :colbert:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hey Chicagoons (and those nearby), I'm gonna be in town on June 16/17 and was hoping to connect with some people and get a bit of a tasting/bar hop night planned for Saturday. Anybody interested?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anyone had Jester King's Boxer's Revenge? Someone sent me a bottle in a trade yesterday and I'm not sure if I should be excited or disappointed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

"Session" is not a word describing mouth feel, body, or the absence/abundance of flavor and aroma. "Session" also doesn't have it roots in American drinking culture, as you can read here: http://beeradvocate.com/articles/653 Though typically it now means any beer under 5% ABV.

I would also really like to know how you can quantify increased ABV as "more flavor". I don't really know what drinking sugary beverages has to do with anything at all. Are you trying to say that just because you drink Coke you have an unrefined palate?

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 2, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

bartolimu posted:

Higher ABV reflects higher starting gravity, which means higher malt density in the wort. That indicates higher flavor concentration, since malt is composed not only of sugar but also flavor compounds that vary by malt type. It's not rocket science, and I have to wonder if you're being intentionally dense here. Sure, you can throw a shitton of hops into a beer with a potential alcohol of 3.2%, but then you'll get an unbalanced hop bomb beer that a lot of people won't be able to appreciate.

I think the original argument was higher ABV = 'more flavor' = 'more better'. Yes I guess higher ABV beers are more concentrated due to using more malt per oz etc etc but overall it seems like a silly generalization to make to such a wide variety of styles. I've had plenty of low ABV styles (sours, for example) that had more and better 'flavor' than say a CBS. But hey that's just my intentionally dense opinion.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

In non-retarded beer argument news, some beer snobs are way too generous (or maybe just have way too much money, or both!). Living in Ann Arbor is great. I get to drink Jolly Pumpkin beer, and give people Jolly Pumpkin beer. In exchange for 2x Cinco Anos in a trade and 4x sold at cost to two people, I got all this back:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lazerwolf posted:

I did something tonight

Year old Victory at Sea Float! a perfect nightcap accompaniment to an amazing hockey game.

I opened a bottle of that a ways back at a point in the night that I really should not have opened a bomber. I ended up not being able to finish the bottle and really regret it. It was an excellent beer, and isn't one I can get around here. :( Is there any Ballast Point stuff in Chicago?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Already had it in the glass.....

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Plus you can get Jolly Pumpkin! Screw you!

Just came back from Jolly Pumpkin, had this beer:

(Crappy pic, sorry.)

poo poo is good. The name is really kind of ridiculous though: Sobrehumano Palena ‘ole. Who wants to send me some cans of the Maui Brewing version? I'll send you a bottle in exchange. :)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

crazyfish posted:

Speaking of jolly pumpkin, I'm hooked on anything and everything from lately. I'm from chicago, so two questions:

1) Which one do I go to? and
2) Any must-have brewpub exclusives (especially in to-go bottles)?

Just go to the Ann Arbor pub, they always have more beer than the Traverse City location. And its closer to Dexter (and Chicago) and there are other beer things to do in town. They don't really have anything in the way of 'exclusives' though, outside of say...tshirts and custom mugs. What they have for sale in bottles varies, and you can actually get a lot of it for cheaper at area stores. You can get almost everything they have on tap to-go in a growler too. Call them before you make the trip, I'm sure they'd tell you what's on tap.

Also I'll be in Chicago a week from tomorrow for a goon beer tasting. I'll post some more concrete details in a couple days to keep it fresh for people, but essentially we are going to meet at a BYOB at 4:30ish and then hit up some bars afterward. If you wanted something from JP I could bring it down if you came to our bottle share, as I live about 10mjn away from the pub.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Midorka maybe you can just chillax a bit in this thread? You've posted nine times on this page already (well poo poo ok, the last page), and you have almost more than double total posts than the second most prolific poster (for a total of 313). I mean drat, I've already got you on ignore as it is, but these constant cycles of stupid arguments are really making this thread no fun at all.

Anyway, this Saturday in Chicago I hope a few of you (and I'll probably bug the few of you I've met fyi) will come to a bottle share. We are going to start here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/barbari-cafe-chicago at 4:30pm. I imagine we'll be there for a couple of hours, after which we will be hitting some bars in the area like Happy Village, Small Bar, and where ever else we want to go. If you're gonna go, send me a PM and I can give you my phone # in case you are wanting to hit us up later in the evening. I'll probably be bringing some Jolly Pumpkin and Founders stuff though so you better come and help me drink it. :mad:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Huge_Midget posted:

If I hadn't just taken a weekend vacation to Cleveland last weekend I'd be up for this. As it is, the wife and I need to get some stuff done around the house or I'd make the drive. Really makes me wish that Fort Wayne still had Amtrak service.

I'm thinking of hosting a tasting at my place in Ann Arbor in 2-3 weeks (weekend after July 4th?), so keep that one in mind if you are looking for a road trip idea.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^^I meant more like that Saturday, July 7th. But I'm flexible.

Speaking of ridiculous IPA's, this year's Devil Dancer is already on tap at Founder's and I guess will be out in bottles in a week or two? I read they used some different varieties of hops this year because a lot of people found last year's to have a strong onion/garlic flavor. Can't say I experienced that myself but I do recall it being not as enjoyable as other year's. I still have a bottle from 2011 and I think 2010...I guess I should do a vertical tasting sometime? Would it be wonderful or horrible?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

crazyfish posted:

Did I completely miss Jolly Pumpkin Biere de Mars in Chicago? I heard people talking about how good it was, but I haven't seen it on the shelves *anywhere*, and JP usually doesn't fly off like crazy barrel aged stouts.

If you were wanting some, I could probably bring some from MI and sell it to you at cost if you are coming to the tasting. Pretty sure I saw some on the shelf the last time I was beer shopping.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

ffffuuuuuuuu what a terrible decision

I have 2 or 3 bottles left because I hated it, do you want them? No idea if they are still any good really...

It's either that or I'm going to use them to make bread or something.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mahoning posted:

I read an article that says its a violation of state a federal law to refill a growler that wasn't purchased at the place it's being refilled. Is that true? Because that sounds like a terrible law. Part of the idea of growlers is that they're less wasteful. Making you purchase 10 different growlers for 10 different growler stations is pretty wasteful.

That being said, I kind of realize its up to the individual retail outlet. But if it's illegal it's pretty dumb.

I know at least in Michigan brewpubs have to have buy a special permit to fill growlers that they didn't sell, or at least that's the line I got from Jolly Pumpkin one day. Which I was mostly ok with, since they were selling their glass for $2. I've given back growlers to some breweries because yeah I've got like 8 of them at this point and I don't know what the gently caress else to do with them.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just as a reminder, this is happening tomorrow:

Sirotan posted:

Anyway, this Saturday in Chicago I hope a few of you (and I'll probably bug the few of you I've met fyi) will come to a bottle share. We are going to start here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/barbari-cafe-chicago at 4:30pm. I imagine we'll be there for a couple of hours, after which we will be hitting some bars in the area like Happy Village, Small Bar, and where ever else we want to go. If you're gonna go, send me a PM and I can give you my phone # in case you are wanting to hit us up later in the evening. I'll probably be bringing some Jolly Pumpkin and Founders stuff though so you better come and help me drink it. :mad:

Picking out what beers to bring. Can't decide between KBS or Better Half hmm...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I feel like all I have in my fridge is Bramble Rye, a bunch of Pipeworks, and a rye'd da lightning by 3F. Any of those interest peoples?

I'm excited to meet ya guys tho hehe.

Well, I've never had any of those beers before, so there you go. At this point thinking Better Half, Sobrehumano Paleno 'ole, and barrel aged Plead the 5th??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Got back from Chicago last night after buying all the beers. Highlight of the trip, besides the Saturday night bottle share, was hitting up Half Acre on Sunday and finally collecting my winnings from their Cipher contest. Besides the beer I bought, they gave me all of this for free:

T-shirt, beer mug, bottle of Akari Shogun, bottle of a barrel aged beer they haven't released and they only made 94 bottles of, un-applied labels for Akari Shogun because it's so :krad:. Also not pictured: a growler of fresh Daisy Cutter, and a quick tour of the brewery since my friend had not seen it before.

Oh Half Acre, why do you have to be so amazing and yet so far away. :allears: