Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Did the Blackout Stout just come out or is that from earlier in the year? I thought it was a January thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Yeah look at these... Backwoods Bastards, man. BCBS doesn't exist here in Upper Michigan (yet?) so I maximized my medallions by stocking up on a million servings of Founders Backwoods Bastard and also Bell's Expedition Stout. Somebody please make me feel less annoyed at the lack of options around here and tell me how jealous you are.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Also if you bought mass quantities of BCBS and the variants for the express purpose of selling them online at a ridiculous markup, you are the worst and will be killed.

http://mybeercellar.com/?itm=9475 :pwn:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

What do you consider "upper Michigan"? I was in Traverse City over Thanksgiving weekend and most stores had BCBS on friday and one even had Barleywine.

The Michigan on the other side of the lake that everyone thinks is part of Wisconsin.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

I saw Sweet Repute at a store on Saturday and when it was pried at $17.99 I was like, lmao, nope

Tssss, I specifically looked for that today with the intent of spending $40 on two bottles, and it did not exist despite the fact that it was created in the same state in which I live. You will be killed.

Yeah look at these... seasonal Founders releases, man. Double Trouble, Mango Magnifico, Backwoods Bastard, Breakfast Stout... have you ever seen this much Founders on man?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

And the guy who posted the free-shipping bargain website, you too will be killed. My wallet is already dead.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Incredible, I bought a Samichlaus recently (presumably current year) due to its billing as a "malt liquor" and also "the world's most extraordinary beverage". What can I expect from this tape?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Tsss, this Holiday Wine Cellar site doesn't even work. Every time I try to check out it says "Some of your item quantities were reduced, as they exceeded stock on hand." and then leaves my quantities the same and won't let me continue. :cool:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

DON'T WORRY, the problem was the Old Rasputin that I tried to buy, as there's apparently less than 4 of them in stock so the site kept trying to make me get at least 4 and also reduce the quantity to less than 4 at the same time. Yeah look at this... Seizoen Bretta, man.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Valencia posted:

Thanks to whoever posted the holidaywinecellar.com heads-up! The free shipping was still in effect 30 minutes after midnight, so I have a Speedway Stout and a Crooked Stave Surette and Vielle on their way. Oh Surette, how I've missed you so...

UUuuuu I almost got the Surette but it was trumped by the Seizoen Bretta. Also I reaped the benefits of Ten Fidy and two servings of Speedway Stout, with special guests of Firestone Double Jack and Wookey Jack,,,

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Yeeeahhh man... yeahhhhh.. yeeaaahhhh OHHHHHH god man, I got two Sweet Reputes for $16.99 tonight and convinced a random stranger to buy one as well. I thought about buying 3 or 4 but... well, money. And also I wanted some other random strangers to get a chance to try it too.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

crazyfish posted:

On first read I thought you had gotten some stranger to mule a third bottle for you, then I reread it and it got weirder.

Nah some random guy was talking to a guy that works there and said "blah blah Founders" and I whirled around and said "FOUNDERS??" then brandished my two bottles with a "psshhwinggg" sound effect and he said "whoa 12% alcohol! how much is that?" and then when he saw the price tag the deal was sealed, because "It's been a long time since I had a really good beer!" Mission accomplished.

Another time I tried to get a guy I know to buy Backwoods Bastard but indirectly caused him to get Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout instead.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

To add to the weirdness one of my roommates was shitfaced when I got home and was furious that I had bought more beer without drinking it right away. He keeps yelling and trying to give me a guilt trip for "only drinking when nobody else is" and now there's some kind of impromptu drunken MMA sparring session going on in the living room.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

I went to a goon meet last night and somebody told me he has 4 Heady Topper cans left. He's going to sell me one for $10, saying that they can get to be $30 on the "black market." I'm excited.

He will be killed, and so will you for feeding his douchery.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Toebone posted:

Happened across a 4-pack of Backwoods Bastard today. I haven't had it before, should I save one to age or is it best fresh? Unfortunately it seems they ran through their two cases of BCBS over the weekend while I had the flu. Anyone know if NJ is going to be getting more, or is the initial shipment it?

Edit: this is goooood

Most of what I've seen on the internet says it gets less extreme and loses character as it ages. Also it's incredibly good fresh so you should just blast it all immediately.

As far as availability, I don't know anything but I would guess that's the last of it. I live in Michigan and we got tons of it even in my relatively remote location, but the last of it finally disappeared last week. Apparently next year they are making it November-only since it's usually all gone by December due to the nature of a barrel aged tape being intrinsically limited.

krustster fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 7, 2013

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

In the interest of multi-posting I would like to say that I am also finally getting into IPAs and would like some recommendations of things to seek out. I live in Michigan and have access to Two Hearted, as well as Foundrs Red's Rye, Harvest Ale (haven't had that one yet), Double Trouble, and similar tapes. Someone said I should try Ruination. I've spent about $300 on beer in the last month so I want to minimize my spending at this point. I have some Double Jack and Wookey Jack on the way in the mail as well. I found Pliny the Elder to be gross and taste like a skunk butt.

Brother,,

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

LeafHouse posted:

Why are you calling beer tape? Also, you should have drank harvest ale a month or two ago when it first came out.

You can look through my recent post history for an explanation of why everything is a "tape" but I don't recommend it, because you're better off not knowing. And thanks for the tip, I will go back in time and drink harvest ale a month or two ago.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

LeafHouse posted:

I had a totally flat bottle a while back but what little I drank didn't make me sick or anything.

Incredible, I had a flat one too recently. But yeah it was probably something you ate/didn't eat, I mean beer is already fermented so it can't really "rot" can it?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Yeah look at this.... Rochefort 10, man. My first time trying this tape and my mind (and taste buds) is blown. Worth every penny of the $6 for a 12oz bottle. What are the "classic" widely available quads that I should attempt to blast? We do have Abt. 12 here but other than that I would have to look around.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

crazyfish posted:

Number one disappointment was Sweet Repute. As advertised, it was sweet, but for me it was cloyingly so to the point where it was gross. In actuality, it's the only beer I hated all night.

this technique...it can't be... I'm going to blast one tomorrow night and I still have high hopes. I can handle some pretty sweet poo poo so I hope this will prove to be worth the dollars. The only beer that was too sweet for me was Atwater Vanilla Java Porter. ~*~DrAiN PoUr~*~

quote:

You've pretty much had the king of quads. For American examples, depending on where you are, Ommegang Three Philosophers is great, as is Boulevard's Sixth Glass. Most of the big Belgian quads are good (Chimay Blue is the classic), but I absolutely despised Gregorious when I had it a few months ago.

Tsss, I figured that I had started too far up the ladder. We do have the Chimay Blue and Three Philosophers here though so I will add them to my list.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Kudosx posted:

Let us know what you think of the Sweet Repute. It seems like you have a pretty good palate, and we really respect your opinion around here.

Hey now. I said that I used to hate IPAs, not that I still do. I'll be the first to admit that I was a fool.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

LeafHouse posted:

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess that it might also have something to do with your posting style. Namely, the way you post like an idiot.

Yes but I actually am an idiot. I was referring to the "you have a pretty good palate" part.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

http://www.halftimebeverage.com/shop-for-beer.html

This place has UFO White and Raspberry and ships to CA. I don't know how bad the shipping is because for whatever reason they don't ship to my state :argh:. I really want to try the Raspberry UFO.

Edit: Website seems to be down at the moment.

Edit2: It looks like its $25-30 per 12 bottles, seems kind of lovely if you just want some average priced beers.

That's funny, I was just reading somewhere else that they had limited their shipping to NY only, but it looks like they fixed it. Also it appears that if you "create a case" that costs at least $75 they will ship it free, but I guess that doesn't help with the Harpoon thing.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

So everybody (including Bell's) says that Expedition Stout is so much better when it's aged, designed for vintage aging, the #1 beer to age, but--and I know this is a difficult thing to quantify--what's the difference? I've read from some people that it gets less bitter or that it's too bitter fresh. I really don't find it to be very bitter at all and kind of fail to see how it would improve. Then again I've never actually held onto anything for more than a month or two so I haven't given it a try yet (but I do have a lot of them on hand). Thoughts?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Chicago goons love this place so it's pretty fitting that I'd post it. Enjoy:

http://craftbeertemple.com/videoblog/2013/11/bells-expedition-vertical/

Thanks for this! It's kind of funny watching it because the guy keeps saying "I'M TIRED" when it seems pretty clear that he's already sort of drunk, but this is pretty much what I was looking for. I still think the bitterness is overblown but I'll have to keep at least a few of them for a few years here.

I was secretly hoping that someone would say "it doesn't change, the whole thing is a scam" so I could drink my entire supply without feeling guilty--it tastes so good fresh that it's taken supreme willpower for me to have only drank two of them in the last month.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Any opinions on Black Note? I've always missed it before but I fully plan on clearing out the local stores this year and blasting it with wild abandon. I'm still irritated that we didn't even get regular BCBS but this past year there was definitely some Black Note available here (in the distant fake part of Michigan).

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

crazyfish posted:

Better than BCBS fresh but doesn't age nearly as well. Also, there was no indication that Black Note would be a regular release. People assume it would be, but I haven't heard anything mentioned.

Personally, I really want to try BA Expedition. I can imagine that beer being legendarily delicious.

It seems safe to assume, given it's come out the last few years with more bottles each time, and this past year came out in 4-packs in addition to the 750mls, but I suppose you're right on that. Black Note being 50% Expedition seems to bode well for it but I'm sure 100% would be better. I was a little underwhelmed by the Double Cream.

Compusaurus posted:

Put some ON Cookies & Cream in it and it'll probably taste better, Krustster.

what.... ON flavor chat??? this technique... it can't be...

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Went and picked up some of the suggestions, I got:

1809 Berliner Weisse
Rochefort 10
Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier and Original
Jolly Pumpkin Oro De Calabaza
Jackie O's Mystic Mama
Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA and Bumble Berry

Can't wait to try them over the next few days. The place I went had some Revolution beers but no Bottoms up Wit, but I think I found some crazy gas station like 20 minutes away that has that and a watermelon wheat beer I want to try. If I really enjoy just one or two of these drinks I will consider this a success!

I haven't tried all of those but I can practically guarantee you'll love Rochefort 10. I waited too long to try it but I was blown away. It's really accessible and not "extreme" in any way, but the flavors are incredibly complex. The Kellerweis should be a good one too since it's really easy to find and you were saying that you liked wheat beers or whatever. Hefeweizens are something that I don't blast a lot of but they're appropriate for almost any occasion.

A local store also has Jolly Pumpkin Fuego del Otono on hand and I've been trying really hard to resist it due to the fact that I've spent like $300 on beer over the last month. The internet seems kind of divided, some are disgusted and some love it. What's that one all about? I don't know anything about "biere de garde".

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Speaking of the whale chasing utopia of Chicago, tomorrow night/saturday morning is their annual trek to the small Michigan city of Marshall Michigan to wait in line for Dark Horse's BB Plead the 5th, along with about a dozen other beers being bottled. I've been getting things together because I'll be staying in Marshall tomorrow night and saturday night with some friends. I'm so glad I only do one of these stupid releases once a year in the Winter.

Chicago assholes, leave our state alone!! :argh: Anyway am I remembering correctly that this one is available from the brewery only, no distribution?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Shorts does make good beer, they just don't make good saisons.

Shorts highlights from this year:
-Cup a Joe (one of my favorite coffee stouts)
-Anniversary Ale (a really unique offering of a style not prevalent enough)
-Soft Parade is good (for a fruit beer.... haters gonna hate)
-Freedom of '78 (maybe you'd like this Ween inspired beer instead?)
-Hopstache (tons of grapefruit)
-Black Cherry Porter

Disappointments:
-Captain Fantasy (haven't liked any of their saisons)
-Bourbon Woodmaster (had a boozy acetone thing going on that was not good)
-Controversius Maximus (wasn't a fan of the heavy maltiness)
-Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster (the belgian aspect didn't do anything for me)

Cup a Joe is hitting stores at the beginning of next week, you should definitely try it and see if Shorts is redeemed in your mind at all.

I'm glad I didn't give in and try Captain Fantasy. I kept thinking "hmm, 'pear saison' sounds really good!!" Mystery Stout was a really good one for me. I'd add Nicie Spicie to the disappointment list, but then again I'm not sure how disappointed you can be when a peppercorn beer tastes like chewing on a handful of peppercorns. Still, :barf:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Currently blasting Sweet Repute. I like it, lots of vanilla, a little bit of maple in the finish, it's definitely heavy on the booziness which I don't mind. Reminds me of New Holland Pilgrim's Dole crossed with Backwoods Bastard. I can certainly see why some people don't like it although I think "loving disgusting" is probably pushing it a little. Not for everyone, but it tastes almost exactly like I expected it would.

$16 is a little steep for the bomber buuuuut since it's ~limited~ I guess I can allow it.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Me in Reverse posted:

I am really loving sick of the trading community. Every time something comes out, no matter the bottle count, per person limit, cost, anything.. "FT: (Not a loving whale), ISO: Vintage Cantillon, BCS Rare Multiples".

It seems like 50% of the people on the planet are "ISO Proprietors"

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I am currently brokering a trade for a 4 pack of BCBS (which the Goose Island distributor in our area never even bothered to pick up) in exchange for my remaining serving of Sweet Repute. Read em and weep,,,

I also blasted some interesting features tonight.

Shipyard Mint Chocolate Stout: Started off kind of gross, had a weird metallic finish but as it warmed a bit the spearmint started to come out more and halfway through the bottle I noticed a refreshing cooling sensation after each sip. In the hands of a better brewer I think this technique could be harnessed to great effect. Are there any noted examples other than that Stone porter which came out recently, that I missed out on?

Oskar Blues Ten Fidy: Finally got to try this one; it was very good but not as "big" as I was hoping. Really sticky and sweet, big on the chocolate notes, maybe too big. Tasted like Expedition but without some of the added features, and way more molasses.

Arcadia B-Craft: Really weird "black DIPA", more of a stout than anything. Disjointed flavors that were good on their own but combined to form a bizarre taste sensation.

The other night I also blasted Three Philosophers and enjoyed it, but as I expected, I had started too far up the ladder with Rochefort 10 and it simply couldn't compare. I liked the addition of the kriek lambic but at the same time the sourness kind of clashed with the rich sweetness of the base quadrupel.

I found Abt 12 in single bottles and a local store finally had Old Rasputin though, so it was a productive week. Say your goodbyes to my bank account, lardass, because it's already dead.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Quantrill posted:

New Belgium is now in Ohio, is there anything by them that I absolutely need to try ASAP?

Abbey and Trippel (especially Abbey) are also quite tasty but they're available year-round so "ASAP" doesn't really apply, but give them a shot.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Eejit posted:

Busted into two of the BIF bottles I got from KudosX and I really enjoyed myself this evening. First was Hoppin Frog Cafe BORIS, an imperial oatmeal coffee stout. Nose was super full of coffee but tasted a lot more of bakers chocolate with a really attenuated coffee finish. Surprising because of how much coffee dominates the nose, but pleasant. Had GLBC Blackout Stout as the second one and it was very nice. Pretty standard stout profile, which I'd expect from GLBC, but suuuuuper creamy. I've been so busy I haven't really had time to drink beer at home, but these were really enjoyable while being a Dota 2 manchild.

Tsssss, stores around here get massive amounts of GLBC (oddly close to "GLBT" if you ask me) products but I've never seen any of the rare/seasonal ones outside of the christmas ale or whatever it's called. And also what does BIF stand for? I've seen the acronym many a time but internet beer people say acronyms for the most obscure things.

In other news a local store finally got Old Rasputin (again) and I'm blasting it now. What a taste sensation,and only $10 a pack! I can certainly see why this one is such a gold standard for the style.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Podima posted:

Beaten just as I started writing the post, but here's the latest BiF thread if you want to see what it's all about : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573605

I also find Sierra Nevada Narwhal to be a good 'under the radar' stout, if seasonal. Same with Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, but that one ends up being priced at around $16/pack here.

Also, krustster, might I suggest multi-quoting in one post instead of multi-posting? Don't recall if it's an applicable rule in GWC, but it's just good aesthetics.

You may indeed suggest it, and usually I try to do that but I've grown used to posting in high-tech, fast-paced threads where multiple posts are the best technique, so I often forget.

I managed to obtain some Narwhal a couple of months ago from a party store that has a really odd mix of lovely/average beers and rare medallions. Today I went in there and they had a full rack of Sweet Repute, four of the Goose Island "sisters", and a random six pack of Expedition, but not really anything else that seemed worth buying. Their spirits selection is second to none though (???). It's a delicious feature for sure, and it was only $10 for a four pack!

I might get shot for this but my favorite underrated/under the radar stout is Lion Stout, an export thing from Sri Lanka which we have year-round and comes in bombers for $4.50 and four packs of 500ml cans for $9. Even without taking the price into consideration, it's one of my favorite beers, period. There does seem to be a lot of "infected" ones going around though so reviews tend to be mixed.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

This is perhaps the least sense-of-humor having thread on these Somethign Awful Dot Com Forums

BEER IS EXTRAORDINARILY SERIOUS

If you're watching this tape, you're one of the club...

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Don't worry I'm back.

Holy f*ck Samichlaus. People on the internet said this was sickeningly sweet but I underestimated it. There's also a disturbing metallic taste on the finish and the "booze" in it smells and tastes like Camo Extra Black or something. I'm sure age would take some of that disgusting edge off, maybe it would end up more like a port wine, but.... blech. I'm trying to get my roommate to drink it so I don't have to pour it out.

I am taking a trip to Madison in a couple of weeks to get plastered with my brother in law... I mean, to spend time with my sister, and have been promised/threatened with a full range of BCBS variants, New Glarus fruit beers with special guest Strawberry Rhubarb, as well as other extreme surprises. There's a bar there which will have Pseudosue on tap because "the guy" (?) from Toppling Goliath delivers it there personally, so that should be pretty wild. Look at these... citra hops, man. Have no fear, I will be sure to regale you with a trip report on the beers blasted.

This may come as a relief to some of you since it's very likely that I'll die of alcohol poisoning.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Ubik posted:

No matter what vintage, it always tastes like cough syrup, pennies and asparagus. It seems to be a compendium of all the possible off-flavors you can get from fermentation.

This is the perfect description. I might add "rotten apples" into the list though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I had a bottle a couple weeks ago and definitely didn't get any "burnt" characteristics. It was pure chocolate and peanut butter. Very decadent. I personally loved it but could see many people being turned off to such a sweet beer.

Is there a picture that didn't load for me or did I miss something here? All I see is "what a bad beer" and people are responding to it as though it was specified which one. In context of the thread it looks like he's saying that Fou' Fone is a bad beer that tastes like burnt caramel.