Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Horse blanket is more descriptively a spectrum of musk and leather. And really delicious. I prefer the term horse butt, really.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

It's an exciting time for beer fans, and if you're still a $2 PBR kind of person, now's the best time ever to start trying a few other things.
Just wanted to add if you're starting off as a PBR drinker you are already on the right track and obviously have good taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Does this years SN Kellerweiss taste a little yeast stressed to anyone else? I bought a couple of 6 packs because I love hefeweizen and I remember enjoying SN's in the past, but this tastes like plastic and wet dog.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

deadwing posted:

Kellerweiss isn't a seasonal, it's a year-round beer. Check the date code, it's quite possible you got an old bottle. The code is directly above the UPC, the first digit is for the year (0 for 2010, 1 for 2011, 2 for 2012), and the next three digits are a Julian day code.
My bad, I only remember seeing it through spring and summer but that must be a distributor thing or my memory playing tricks since that's when I generally look for hefeweizens.

It was bottled end of January this year then. I've just gotten into the first so maybe hopefully its something per bottle.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The only true ipa is that which I pee after drinking a six pack of other so called ipas.

But seriously I really hate style terminology for exactly this reason, but its a necessary evil when trying new stuff I guess.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Humongo-beer breweries and port makers and any other boozeries that require controlled oxidation release their stuff before its ready because it is ridiculously expensive to keep inventory of anything. Besides which, consumer aging adds in some ownership by the consumer which makes them feel all warm and fuzzy.

Part of me doesn't take part because I can't help but keep coming back to the point that its just as expensive for me to age it as the maker. But I mostly don't take part because I personally prefer a fresh pale ale or weizen to a monster beer at peak aging.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Midorka posted:

Update on the 3 year old Chambly Noire, I didn't realize this was 6.2% so I'm assuming it isn't really meant to be drank this old. The aroma is very grape-like so I'm guessing this is heavily oxidized. The flavor is very concord grape as well, as well as very watery. I guess I got a bum bottle.

Question, it seems most old bottles I see on shelves that I've tried are oxidized, how do I prevent this if I'm aging a fresh bottle?

Edit: Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Cognac (try saying that fast) is interesting, but I'm not a cognac drinker so I'm not sure what to make of it. It's very intense with lots of roasted civet coffee and oak right away with a boozy finish and nothing else. It's decent, but I'm glad it's in 11.2 ounce bottles, I couldn't drink any more of it.

That doesn't sound too far off normal Chambly Noire to me. Watery, and reeks of special b.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

But if its way better with 9 months of age on it, why they don't just release it in Stout weather anyways so everyone would think it was a better beer?
Because keeping poo poo around for 9 months that you don't need to costs a whole lot of money.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

I tend to doubt that. It's just sitting in unreusable barrels and they don't make enough of it for it to really consume a large amount of space in their brewery. Seems like it would be easier to just time the release for Imperial Stout season.
Its not just space, its refrigerated space. Even just space costs a lot. Noone wants to pay $x per y square foot just to keep around beer that will fly off the shelves before people are even aware it was released.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Weihenstephaner Hefe in a bottle is pretty good. They can end up a bit old for the style though what with the importing.

I had it on draft once and it was unbelievable. It might have been fishing for tips or whatever, but the waitress had no idea what I said the first time but picked up enough to ask between the bartenders and the cooks and I guess it was a favorite between all of them too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its impossible that anyone would ever let ABV influence their purchasing patterns and enjoyment of beer.

Oh wait.

I'll go ahead and admit I am just really bitter about the ABV inflation because all my favorite styles are session ones.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know. On an anecdotal level it'd always been about getting hosed up. I was guilty of that in college too. I only had so much beer money and did the shameful quick mental math of booze per dollar. There was a lot of Mad Monk going around with friends even though generally everyone agreed it was pretty bad.

The next anecdotally popular was "well bud light is like 4% therefore the more abv means it is a better beer because it is less like bud light."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bartolimu posted:

Higher ABV reflects higher starting gravity, which means higher malt density in the wort. That indicates higher flavor concentration, since malt is composed not only of sugar but also flavor compounds that vary by malt type. It's not rocket science, and I have to wonder if you're being intentionally dense here. Sure, you can throw a shitton of hops into a beer with a potential alcohol of 3.2%, but then you'll get an unbalanced hop bomb beer that a lot of people won't be able to appreciate.
That's an incredibly simplistic view of arriving at flavor in a beer so I guess it is rocket science. There actually is a good commercial reason you don't see a lot of session beers flying off retail shelves but can often find one at a breweries taphouse. Session beers peak incredibly early and fall off incredibly fast such that by the time it'd end up distributed it would be boring. Or if overcompensated, then you will end up with something imbalanced and terrible as you mention.

Speaking of aging, its hard to take claims of "but my extra flavor from starting gravity!" seriously when the standard mode of big beers is to age them 6 months till some of that flavor is gone and the beer is better balanced. Not that it doesn't give unique product compared to lower gravity ready to drink stuff, but still wanted to get my favorite cheap shot about aging in since I've been relatively equanimous about it lately.

But yeah there should be 4 way collaboration where each brewery makes a permutation of with or without cilantro and session or big beer. And then we can all choose our side in the first annual beer war.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Midorka posted:

From New Jersey Ommegang, and Unibroue are about $6-$9 for a bomber, depending on the beer. I did come across a Ommegang gift set of the Hennepin, Three Philosophers, some other beer, and a really nice glass but it was $25 I didn't have the money to spend after my haul today.
I remember seeing Hennepin, Three Philosophers, and Chocolate Indulgence for $20 with a glass. Buying those 3 from the same liquor store would have cost $25, mostly cause of the Chocolate one.

Every where I've seen the Ommegang and Unibroue, Unibroue has been cheaper although they don't have as much overlap in taste as the styles on the bottle might lead one to believe. I'm reminded I haven't had a Hennepin in forever and now kind of want one.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Docjowles posted:

My favorite thing about that beer is the adorable pink elephant. Close runner up is that the name is literally the medical term for acute alcohol withdrawal symptoms in a long-term alcoholic :razz:
You are going to love the reason behind that elephant.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The best beer distribution is wherever you live because no matter how much you travel or trade nothing is ever going to beat being able to drive to the local bar or bottle shop and getting your favorite beer you have access to. Or maybe my attention span is too short and I am too big a fan of instant gratification.

Goddamn if I don't miss Victory though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Am I missing something because I don't drink a lot of IPAs? What do hops have to do with body?

Hop extract is used as a replacement for bittering additions because the extract process is a hell of a lot more efficient to get the compounds you are looking for. The question about a 3 hour extraction is that it will taste a lot like a 1 hour extraction because you hit a wall in isomerization rate.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Harminoff posted:

Went to the local grocery store to see what new stuff they had in as they have been expanding their selection recently. Saw they had Hop Stoopid for $4.50, but didn't know anything about it and didn't have my phone to check on beeradvocate.com

Kind of upset that I didn't grab it as the reviews compare it to Pliney the elder, which I doubt I'll ever be able to get.

I ended up picking up some New Belgium Ranger, which is decent. Will be picking up the Hop Stoopid on Sunday.
Drink all the Lagunitas all the time. If you mess up and get one of their mediocre ones, no harm, no foul, because I don't think anyone sells west coast style beer for as cheap as they do.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mahoning posted:

What's good, if anything from Schlafly?

Most likely craft beer to find in moist counties so if you are stuck somewhere it all ends up good by default.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I never really understood the comparison of american hops to cat piss. I think that's because I've never been exposed to cat piss that hasn't been adulterated through some form of carpet or litter.

Long story short the cat pissed in the bath tub and now I have the taste for a really resinous IPA. I wish I was kidding.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sirotan posted:

I guess its the 'new' Nemesis? The name is kinda dumb :/

I don't generally like anything above 8% but I would track down one of those if it had the same art but was instead called "Master Key" or "Skeleton Key."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dortmunder Gold is the only beer that makes me feel like I am cheating on craft beer by drinking PBR.

I never realized how much I would miss GLB until I moved away.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A random west coast pale ale and a slice of pumpkin pie is where its at. We truly live in a world gone mad if you only have the time to enjoy your pumpkin pie in your beer.

I just don't like pumpkin beer so I'm mostly kidding. For those who like it it is probably like shower beer where at first glance you wonder what went wrong where you must enjoy a beer in the shower, and then you try it and its like, its better this way.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ShaneB posted:

It's so hot and awful out that all I want to drink is PBR and Bud Light Lime. I poo poo you not. Blime is fabulous: 4% beer soda that never dehydrates you the way Miller Lite and Budweiser seem to. I drank it for 24 hours straight at my buddy's lake house the other weekend and was never dehydrated OR drunk, so I consider that a success.
Having been introduced to dumping loads of citrus fruit in water in the south, I can totally see how lime flavor would improve Bud Light for hot weather.

I was going to pick up some PBR to be all American for the 4th but I spent the afternoon baking in the sun gawking at a 70ft trailer being maneuvered around and had no real want to stop by the store on the way home.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hypnolobster posted:

This is even more confusing than horse blanket.
At least horse blanket is self explanatory, at least for anyone who has met a horse. I'm fonder of horse butt because you don't need the blanket to smell sweaty horse musk.

But I can not figure out what moderate male heaviness means and google does not help.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sirotan posted:

(moderate malt heaviness)
It is me, I am the idiot.

To save face next time I am talking tasting I am going to slip in moderate male heaviness somehow and see if I can get the term to spread.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Much like hydrocarbons and commodity chemicals, the best vessel from which to serve a geuze is a barge.

Wait wait, geuze is apparently particularly fizzy if you think you need a flute for it? Opposite of that barge, whatever geometry and size of glass that maximizes glass contact area with a restricted opening. I know that just describes a flute but when dealing with relatives only you know what you actually have in the cupboard.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am a mild glassware sperg and I will be the first to admit you can get away with a pint glass and a wine glass. Basically open top and restricted top. Getting more in depth than that leads into effervescent capacity which I find not incredibly important beyond aesthetic quality of a fizzy beverage continually fizzing throughout your drink.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't on purpose. They just can't make official statements about measurement demarcations without some liabilities or calibrations/inspections.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

escape artist posted:

Well, Lagunitas is releasing this soon:

My views: This will suck.
Lagunitas and session beer haters taking up useless space in the Lagunitas distribution zone please send all your stock of this to someone outside the distribution that would love it like me, thanks in advance.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

After the beard filth beer news, Rogue Ales is dead to me.
Beer is rotten sugar, I think sourcing the microorganism should be the least of anyone's worries if they have a problem with the icky.

My biggest problem with Rogue is that everything tastes like pacman, and even preferring estery sorts of yeast I still hate pacman.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "rotten sugar." I certainly don't use anything rotten in mine.

I mean, sure there's probably brewing yeast in my snot too, it doesn't mean it's not gross and bad taste to try and isolate some yeast from it. It's just gross and lowbrow.
Yeast are a fungus. Everything that makes beer beer is a byproduct of decomposition.

The beer of today is all thanks to some dude 15000 years ago leaving a loaf of bread in a puddle for a while, coming back to it, saying gently caress it and ingesting the mess, and deciding hey this is pretty good, maybe I should try to do this on purpose.

e. I'm sure the endgame is that he has pacman in his beard anyway and the beer tastes like exactly every other Rogue beer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CalvinDooglas posted:

I have definitely heard engineer, libertarian, and beard stereotypes about beer and homebrew nerds.
If you don't complete that trio in any given social gathering of more than 3 people you either aren't doing beer right, or you are doing beer very very right.

One person covering two out of those three is about normal. Completing the trio in a single person isn't a great feat either.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Midorka posted:

I didn't see the artificially flavored part on the bottle until I just looked again, guess I missed it. What the heck is an artificially flavored hazelnut coffee bean anyway? Why would they artificially flavor it when there's already hazelnut beans? I guess hazelnut beans don't impart enough flavor so they had to give it more? I did like it though, then again I am the type to dose the poo poo out of my coffee with hazelnut creamer.
I'm not sure how to make it any clearer than what the guy you quoted said so I'll just ramble and see if that sticks instead. Hazelnut coffee beans are coffee beans juiced with artificial hazelnut flavoring. Truth in advertising and ingredient declaration sort of laws means that the beer using these juiced coffee beans have to mention the artificial flavoring when describing the hazelnut flavor.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Verloc posted:

I just came here to bitch about this. Apparently they cannot get a ticket order form to work right. They are a company that sells tickets. As an added bonus their lovely rear end IVR system won't let you get into the AHA/BA presale over the phone and their sales support line just gets a busy signal. In short, gently caress ticketmaster forever.

Edit: Finally unfucked their order form. For a company that sells tickets, they loving suck at selling tickets. I'm going to start referring to bumbling idiots as "Ticketmaster People".
The fury of a thousand beer nerds buying tickets. How does that system survive real events?

I got on getting tickets pretty late in the afternoon since I was busy at work and I missed out on the members only session and figured I'd do the Friday Farm to Table session instead and then figured out I missed that too.

My friend couldn't wrangle her membership number till a little bit ago and the presale tickets were out at least for Friday and Saturday night sessions. Now she has to face the fury of Ticketmaster getting overwhelmed on Thursday and have to use the plebeian entrance line.

e. i think that last part is a miscommunication from my confused confused friend.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 31, 2012

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Docjowles posted:

God drat, the members only session already sold out? :aaa: I got through shortly after nerd raging about it here, thankfully. I figured it would last for at least a day, though, that's nuts.
Apparently if you call Ticketmaster they'll say the members only session is actually going on sale on Thursday :stare:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Docjowles posted:

Haha holy poo poo, they screwed up the GABF tickets worse than I thought. Apparently you could buy member-only tickets through Ticketmaster's mobile site without having to prove membership. Now they're going through the list of every ticket sold yesterday and cross referencing names with membership lists to try and cancel illegitimate orders. Just wow. They did say anyone who might have their order canceled will receive an email or phone call first so that you can provide a membership number if they missed you during the manual check.

For extra hilarity, go to their website and look at the sidebar of #GABF tweets. People are just making GBS threads on them non stop, the dangers of embracing social media I guess!

edit: Got a better explanation of what went wrong.
21 members only tickets revoked and going on sale on Ticketmaster tomorrow morning an hour before public sales start. Whats the over under on Ticketmaster exploding because of F5ing?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They need a GABF2 electric boogalo but I wonder if there'd be enough brewer support for another event.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sirotan posted:

Trying to decide right now if I wanna drink an IPA despite just starting to get over being sick as hell.

Help you guys I think I have a badge addiction. :(
Doctors just tell you to drink more fluids so I think you were in the clear even when sick.

Some pedants might argue beer isn't great for hydration because of a diuretic effect of alcohol. They just don't understand you can just obviously drink more beer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sirotan posted:

How fast can you ruin beer if you leave it in your car when its 90 degrees and sunny outside? Because my coworker got some beer in a trade and was showing me his loot, gave me one of the bottles and it's almost too warm to comfortably hold onto.
In the words of who must have been the inventor of beer's best friend: "drink it and see what happens."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

cryme posted:

Yes, for some people it's the only non-macro beer they will drink. For many breweries the pumpkin beer is their highest seller. Of course they'll push it as hard as they can.
The trinity of casual craft beers: Blue Moon, pumpkin spice beers, and Arrogant Bastard.