Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Stella Artois is doing another free chalice giveaway thing, this was also posted in Coupons but there's enough glass talk in here that I figure someone would be interested. Bonus, this time they are CUSTOM ENGRAVED!! so you can actually have your gaudy Stella glass say "Stella Sucks" and feel less terrible about yourself.

Here's a link to the details. Basically just mail them a card with name, address, and age and I guess get a code in the mail from them to enter on the website.

For real beer talk, the Wegmans near me is still working through leftover Celebration Ale and told me they wouldn't get Bigfoot until that was all gone :( I think more than half their IPAs are at last 3 months old, and a ton of them are beyond the drink-by dates (if they have them). I might have to write in a complaint... again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Corbet posted:

Does anybody else get a "cat urine" smell when drinking certain sours? I'm being 100% serious.

I definitely get cat urine whenever I drink something that's got Simcoe hops in it, I think that might be common though cause one of my friends who doesn't drink much beer but has had cats all his life picked it out pretty instantly.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Midorka posted:

$20 a 4 pack? Holy cow...I guess it's not that bad though, at least compared to things like BA Rasputin or Black Ops. I'll get a 4 pack and drink one fresh, then stagger the next 3.

Last year I think I got it for 24/4 pack, I was pretty excited to even see it available in my area though so I didn't ask about price before I bought it. Which was a terrible idea, I'm not the biggest fan of bourbon imperial stouts but I was totally caught up in Founders hype. So I've still got two bottles leftover, completely because I know I can't finish one on my own.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

air- posted:

Forget horse blanket, I just heard the latest descriptor for hops kudos to these idiots behind me at Churchkey. Apparently cat piss is the most accurate description for Furious on cask and beers like Hopslam.

I don't want to know how a cat has peed in your mouth. :psyduck:

Guess you missed the cat piss talk at the beginning of the thread

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

wattershed posted:

Thought I'd try Ruthless Rye tonight. It smells like a fart, not sulphury, just a straight fart. Tastes decent enough though, no real complaints there, however I'd turn to Hop Rod Rye 100% of the time if I wanted a beer like this in the future. And, not that it matters, but the bottle art is pretty excellent for my tastes.

Human fart or cat fart? Or maybe horse?

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

TenaciousTomato posted:

Had some Bear Republic Racer 5 last night, definitely the best IPA I've had besides Sculpin. And it should be for $12.99 a 6. Tons of aroma, fruity, hoppy and finishes dry. Want to drink this all day.

Bear Republic stopped distributing to most of PA, I think they just have one distributor now and it only covers the east side. Such a bummer, but it also means I bought it like anytime I saw it in November/December so that worked out well cause its really delicious.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Midorka posted:

Amen brother.

I drank an Ayinger Celebrator tonight and am I the only one who thinks it tastes and smells like concord grapes? I'm looking up reviews and don't get anything of what others are describing, it's as if I'm drinking a different beer.

Huh I was gonna mention that when I was talking about Racer 5, I always picked up some concord grapes in the aroma and a little bit in the taste. I also live in an area that grows a ton of concord grapes though, so I feel like I might be more sensitive to it.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Get some goons to send you empty bottles from some rarer stuff, and then urinate in those bottles and fill the rest up with Natty Light or something (if you don't have enough pee). Then cap them and probably mark them somehow and wait for him to drink your pee beer. Or more likely he'll be uncomfortable that you're aging your piss and move out on his own.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
I picked up a bottle of Old Ruffian today, should I sit on it or is it worth drinking relatively fresh? It was brewed in January. For reference, I also enjoyed Bigfoot fresh but didn't mind age on it either.

I actually went out looking for Bigfoot cause we usually run a bit slower on seasonals, and the douchey bartender at the place where I settled on Old Ruffian tried to explain how Bigfoot was a really limited seasonal that they only expected to get one shipment of and I missed it :confused:. Good thing the Wegmans down the street had a whole display up for it.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

rage-saq posted:

My favorite part of this is that Storm King is front and center. Most important beer

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Holy poo poo MCA died.

gently caress.

Pour one out.

Into a glass though we're not drainpourers around here.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Kraven Moorhed posted:

So I'm pretty sure a 12 of Torpedo is one of the best (relatively) cheap beer purchases I've made. I've been abstaining from Sierra Nevada for some time based on a few bad experiences, but trying Ruthless Rye and my recent run-in with Bigfoot made me reconsider. Anything else by them I should be looking out for?

What bad experiences have you had? Really the only SN beers I don't like are Kellerweis and Summerfest, the rest I'd gladly drink. And those two I'd drink above a lot of other stuff.

I just bought a 6 pack of Torpedo from March 30th, it looks like they've changed their labels quite a bit. Two labels with UPC on back now and date is printed on the neck instead of above the barcode, threw me off when I was checking for a date.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Mahoning posted:

I was just relaying a good Imperial stout to the goon that asked.

And while your opinion is valid, and tastes are subjective and all, I happen to completely disagree with you.

It's a pretty rough thread, the general attitude in this thread is nothing but condescending remarks about who can dick wag with the most impressive beer and is far from friendly.

Actually came in to request Stone RIS and Storm King but its already been covered. I had my first six pack of Storm King in probably 6 months, its still one of the most drinkable imperial stouts I've had. Last time I had it I tried to do some homemade Black Devils, it honestly made the Storm King worse.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Unfortunately its kind of a given with the nature of the craft beer community. This thread is no exception.

Gotta make my Midorka quotes less subtle. You're really limiting yourself if you cut out beers just because of one flavor you don't initially like, one of my first good craft beers was SNPA and I'm glad I didn't just give up on it because hops weren't something I was used to.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
My old bottle shop just got in 6 packs of Troegs Perpetual, I'm real worried that I won't get it here but I don't think I'm committed enough to drive 4 hours for it. That's one of the best IPAs I've had and I had no idea they started doing sixes of it instead of just bombers.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

cryme posted:

If they get Troegs, you'll get it. It's a year round beer now.

You'd think so, but I see SN Celebration Ale still on shelves around here, we're a little behind the times.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Hey guys I think I'm gonna be in charge of ordering for my store's beer department, should I get all the pumpkin beers or just most of them?

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

RiggenBlaque posted:

Basically Pintley teamed up with what I guess are two MA breweries, Night Shift Brewing and Backlash Beer, to make a $22.50 / 750ml "imperial sour saison." I don't think I've ever seen so many buzz words on one page before. They then emailed their entire userbase, which is what actually upset me most :colbert:

The brewers aged these beers with Massachusetts raspberries and Brett Yeast in locally-sourced Red Wine Barrels and California Brandy Barrels. Each hand-numbered pinewood box includes two 750ML beers, two hand-made wooden coasters, a piece of one of the barrels, and a signed letter from the brewers. These beers are exclusive to the project, and there will only be 900 two-bottle packages ever brewed!

That's the actual formatting of the email, all that funky word presentation has got me excited for this UNFORGETTABLE EXTREMELY LIMITED beer.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Went to our annual beer thing, Beer on the Bay. Really the best part was getting to try DFH My Antonia, Weyerbacher Rauchbier, and the two offerings from Goose Island cause you can't get those in the Erie area. Sierra Nevada at least had some free swag, otherwise I tried some of the most offensive saisons and some heath bar stout that had been really talked up but reminded me of the time I'd tried a deep-fried Reese's cup. There was a VIP section there but I talked to the one Founders rep, who I think was actually working the New Holland tent, and he said VIP got you Centennial, Red's Rye, Porter, and some other year-round release.

Regardless, had fun, got to see more of the people that make up Erie's smallish craft beer scene. My Antonia was really great but it was maybe because it was the coldest beer they were serving.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

RiggenBlaque posted:

One of my local beer stores had a display out in the front with a whopping 8 different newly arrived pumpkin/oktoberfest beers. It is currently 85* outside. Why do breweries do this? Do people really buy this poo poo so early into the year?

Our tiny PA beer shop in a grocery store just got in 62 cases of Yuengling's Oktoberfest and people are already buying a ton of it, a lot of people have been saying they want to try it out against Sam Adams but they also get at least 2 six packs so I dunno.

With the Frangelic talk, right after I started in our beer department which was mid to late July I found our shipment of Frangelic just sitting in the cooler, nobody had thought to put it out. Still don't know if I'm gonna get a bottle though.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Mikey Purp posted:

Fellow Beer Goons, I'm heading to Brussels next weekend and although I will absolutely set foot in the Delirium Tremens Bar for tourist giggles, I remember a while back someone made some very good recommendations for places that they preferred more than Delirium. Could you guys refresh my memory on where I should be going?

I think that was the last thread because I'm pretty sure I asked about it, I don't remember what anyone said though. The Delirium cafe was just packed, we went up to the top floor though once we had our beers and it was much more relaxed. In the end we just found a bottle shop down the road from the cafe and each of us bought different 750s each night and then got hammered like real Americans.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

BoredByThis posted:

Was walking around Loyola last night and went into a nondescript package goods store on Sheridan. Went to the cooler, and there by its lonesome was a single bottle of Frangelic Mountain Brown. Now I know that it's a polarizing beer, but to see it just sitting in a cooler this long after release, I took it as a sign and grabbed it. This along with a bottle of FFF/Mikkeler Risgoop have accounted for my impulse beer purchases recently.

We've had one lone bottle of Frangelic in our cooler for close to a month now, I don't know how its still there because the others sold faster. It does have a tear in the label though so maybe people just don't want to buy the cripple beer.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Glottis posted:

I had the Sam Adams Flemish Red today (you read that right), "Stony Brook Red". It's boozier than you'd expect and not super sour, but I was pleasantly surprised with it. It comes in a really cool bottle, too.

I got this about a week or two ago, it was good enough that I bought an extra bottle to let it sit for a while and a bottle of New World and 13th Hour. And its only like half because I like the bottles.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

air- posted:

Nope. Sculpin's the correct answer here.

Magic Hat #9

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

hellfaucet posted:

I really wish stores around me would carry Founder's Backwoods Bastard already, I'm dying to try this brew. Can anyone attest that I'm not waiting in vain?

Not released until nov 1st this year, so not any store's fault. Except for maybe mine, I found out today that we didn't get any Harvest in because our corporate office didn't authorize it, they said it wouldn't sell.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
We got our first case of Backwoods in today, someone had already grabbed two four packs before I had time to stock it. We've got in about 10 cases of Breakfast Stout so far and it doesn't sell too fast, so I'm hoping that Founders/craft is still low-key enough here that I'll be able to sneak in a few more cases of Backwoods.

We still probably have a case of Palate Wrecker on the shelves

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

global tetrahedron posted:

On that note, I didn't find Narwhal to be all that exciting. Had some kind of hop tinge to it I didn't like. I had a Narwhal the night after I had a Brooklyn Chocolate Stout, however, so it had big shoes to fill.

I actually thought Narwhal was better than Black Chocolate, I had a day between drinking them though so it wasn't like I was doing some heavy comparing. Narwhal reminded me of a nice mix between something like Black Chocolate or Old Rasputin and Storm King, and Storm King is one of those beers that I will always drink. Drink is what I meant to say.

dumptruckzzz fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 10, 2012

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

TenaciousTomato posted:

Not to be entirely off-topic I was at a mexican joint earlier and had tried some Dos Equis. Maybe a little bit better than bud light :downs:

Negra Modelo or bust

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
The new Merry Monks label is bordering on creepy for me, the main monk looks like he's got more to hide than sneaking beers. But at least it looks better.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Yeah, I guess there really aren't that many beers with national distribution. (Though it is funny to see someone post "Even Ruination isn't available everywhere" when I would slap my grandmother to get any Stonebrew at all in OK).

Local bottle shop had at least six bombers of Belgian Yeti on display, snagged two. Brother Thelonius came in and was on special! :neckbeard:

When is Brother Thelonious' release each year?

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Kudosx posted:

I have a pretty crazy question for all of you. Have any of you tried a beer that you enjoyed more out of a bottle/can than you did when it was in a glass?

I'm now drinking my second Hopslam, and I'm drinking it out of a bottle. Last year when I enjoyed Hopslam the most, it was when I drank it directly out of the bottle. I thought this was just coincidence, and it was because it was a fresher batch or something. Right now I'm enjoying this bottle far more than I enjoyed the previous one, and I kind of think it's because I'm drinking it out of the bottle.

I am getting the honey flavor that I remember, and the little bit of aroma I'm able to get through the bottle is really awesome. Am I crazy? I don't think I've ever enjoyed any other beer more out of a bottle/can than I do in a glass.

I think I poured a Lionshead into a glass one night when I wanted to see that excellent lacing, it was very disappointing tbh and now I just stick to my puzzle bottles.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Looks like Southern Tier has 3 new beers coming out in April, they all seem pretty interesting. Compass is gonna be in 22oz bottles, it sounds like a saison or something similar brewed with rose hips and champagne yeast. Plum Noir (think that's the name) is a Blackwater series in six packs, imperial porter brewed with Italian plums. 2XSteam is an 8% steam beer in six packs. Compass sounds the best to me, the rose hips apparently add some decent bitterness.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Podima posted:

When I went out to State College with my alum friends, they wanted to take me there but it was closed for a private party :( If you haven't been yet, I will absolutely recommend Zeno's - it is a basement dive but has an astounding selection both on tap and bottled (my buddy got started drinking craft beer there on a bartender recommendation) at college student prices, and a really fun vibe besides.

Also any Zeno's beer they have, as in Zeno's Rye, is made by Otto's. I've never been that impressed with anything Otto's has brewed, and I think a lot of its popularity is from being a hometown brewery at Penn State. Zeno's is great though, the bartenders know their stuff, and the Hop Shop gets in a lot of beer that you wouldn't expect to see in PA.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
I wonder how frequently Calagione says he taking things to the next level

RiggenBlaque posted:

The Wegmans in state college apparently ran out of Hopslam so fast that not even the employees who work at the store were able to get any. Oh well, I remember liking NN more than Hopslam anyways.

If you're in the State College area I'd start following the Hopshop on facebook and twitter, they usually get larger quantities of the rarer stuff than Wegmans and you can at least get a heads-up when they release it. I know I saw a facebook post showing off all their Nugget Nectar, and they mentioned that they were posting to twitter when Hopslam got there.

Although I also walked into that Wegmans one day and grabbed their last 4 pack of KBS, but that was some extreme luck

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

obi_ant posted:

You're in the wrong thread. :colbert:

Figured it was just some scathing DFH criticism

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Fragrag posted:

Now I'm back in Belgium and we have a pretty paltry choice in IPAs. I got the best beers in the world in every cafe nearby, just no IPAs. :negative: Anyways, there are still some Belgian IPAs floating here and there. So far I've tried Troubadour Magma and last night I drank a La Chouffe Houblon. I think I prefer the Troubadour for its more stronger character. Next one to try, Piraat Ale!

If you're really craving it, there's always BrewDog Punk IPA, which held me over whenever I wanted an american IPA while staying in the Netherlands (almost never)

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Can we add in places that people don't really care about, because I will do that. I guess it could be useful to have guides for places that suck so hard you need to find good beer

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
The world is now ready to drink in Erie

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Josh Wow posted:

Holy poo poo, Abita actually makes a pretty drat good beer! I've had a lot of their stuff and it's all slightly above mediocre at best, but I picked up their Mardi Gras Bock in a mixed six today. Super clean, great maltiness from the munich without being too sweet and a bit of caramel in the finish. One of the best maibocks I've ever had.

Their Christmas Ale wasn't bad this year, to me it tasted like a lighter Celebration Ale. I had heard good things from a few colleagues and threw it in a mixed six, didn't know it was supposed to be spiced at all but their website says it was. Who knows, I enjoyed it.

The Abbey Ale is good too, almost too sweet for me but worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Helios has blown me away in the past, but that was around 8ish months. Hopefully this will be able to stand up to that but I dunno