Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I had the Sam Adams Flemish Red today (you read that right), "Stony Brook Red". It's boozier than you'd expect and not super sour, but I was pleasantly surprised with it. It comes in a really cool bottle, too.

global tetrahedron posted:

I thought this beer was utter poo poo and turned me off of ever buying another Stone product. Just horrendous!

Man, different strokes. I thought it was one of my favorite beers, period (although I know I'm in the minority). I really liked the lemon flavor, obviously. I just thought it went well with Stone's hop thing they like to do.

Anyone tried Chasin' Freshies? I want to know if the beer is as bad as the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

crazyfish posted:

I had it on draft and I didn't think it was very good at all, and certainly wouldn't have been worth aging.

The lemon of it is just too much. Letting it sit to get any warmer than the cold bottle temp of having it in the fridge just had that overpowering lemon flavor.

I've already turned my extra Best By 9-21 bottle into a aging for comedy option pile in the fridge. No idea what tasting I'll take it to, but yeah.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Glottis posted:

Anyone tried Chasin' Freshies? I want to know if the beer is as bad as the name.

I actually liked it quite a bit, it was extremely light, which surprised me, but somewhere I read that Deschutes made it more pilsener influenced or something. It's a nice change of pace as far as wet hop beers go. Just not what you'd expect.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
The Alstrom brothers are up to the their usual gently caress-uppery over on the BA forums, banning any sort of large regional threads that prevented a lot of spammy two-reply threads from popping up for every little thing. Mods are also deleting new threads and locking old ones without any explanation and since the announcement is in the announcements forum, no one knows what's going on without digging around to find out the rules changed.

As a result I'll be creating a new thread for every new little thing that happens in my area :colbert:

PoopShipDestroyer fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 17, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

RiggenBlaque posted:

As a result I'll be creating a new thread for every new little thing that happens in my area :colbert:

Better option: don't post on BA.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Better option: don't post on BA.

I hate BA as much as the next person, but it's the unfortunate reality that it seems to be the defacto place where people post about regional availability of beers.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
You could migrate to Ratebeer, the mods aren't assholes there.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
This is pretty cool:

http://brewyorknewyork.com/post/33720942800/how-a-local-brewer-made-gabf-mean-something-again

Good on you, Garrett Oliver. :allears:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

I believe Sam Calgione did this as well, good on all the brewers who do though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

Good on you, Garrett Oliver

Garret seems to be a loving Cool Dude from all accounts :swoon:

When I first got to GABF literally no brewers were pouring, but then I realized that it was during the award ceremony so duh. Toward the second half of the session I saw a good number of brewery staff pouring alongside volunteers.

It was cool to see the brewers who had just won medals out on the floor; they were so drat excited and happy.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Can't wait to go to Brooklyn Brewery in a month!
Bells this weekend though :] So pumped.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Can't wait to go to Brooklyn Brewery in a month!
Bells this weekend though :] So pumped.

Awesome. I'll be at Bells within the hour as I'm on this side of the state for work. BB Cherry Stout and Batch 9000 are on tap. :allears:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Sirotan posted:

Awesome. I'll be at Bells within the hour as I'm on this side of the state for work. BB Cherry Stout and Batch 9000 are on tap. :allears:

Mmmmm. I was never been a big stout guy...until this past year.
What actually got me into them was when I was at Bells last Oct and I was there right after opening on Saturday, there was no one in the place besides me and the guy working the bar. I got a taster of a bunch of their beers (a lot of stouts) and he basically was like "Eh, whatevs. I'm going to do the taster with you." So we sat there for an hour trying the beers and talking about them.
Talk about a good start to a weekend.

On Monday I had some buddies over for MNF and after force feeding them my homebrew we busted out a Mikeller 1000IBU beer and a Bourbon County Stout from this year. I have to say the 1000ibu was...meh? I said it was like a slightly better 120min but not good. The others seemed to like it. Of course the 2012 BCS was great. I can't wait to get my Dad in town so we can try his '09 vs the '12.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

global tetrahedron posted:

I actually liked it quite a bit, it was extremely light, which surprised me, but somewhere I read that Deschutes made it more pilsener influenced or something. It's a nice change of pace as far as wet hop beers go. Just not what you'd expect.

Seconding this, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I had a New Belgium Trip fresh hop the same day, and didn't like it as much, if that helps.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Currently drinking a Bells Bourbon Barrel Batch 9000. drat, it's really good but the alcohol is definitely present. 14% ABV means I won't be driving home for a while. The licorice is much more predominant than the bourbon. I'm guessing I will miss out on the bottle release so I'm glad I had it on tap.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

My mom is in Florida for vacation right now. What Cigar City bombers are on shelf/easy to acquire (My mom won't chase trucks dammit!) that you Floridians would recommend? I had an infected Guava Grove a year or so ago that was dope as gently caress. Is there any chance that's still out there? She's in Orlando if that matters.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

americanzero4128 posted:

I just had Zombie Dust but I really liked it :v: other than that Robert the Bruce is good, my friend really loving loves Gumballhead but I would categorize it as "good but not great." Their Moloko Milk Stout is also supposed to be pretty tasty.

Non Three Floyds, you should check out Two Brothers if they don't have it by you. Their Heavy Handed IPA is a pretty tasty seasonal. Their Ebel's Weiss wheat beer is really loving good, imo. They have a brewpub out in the western suburbs that I was at a month or two ago, and the food is very reasonably priced, as is the beer. Plus, the tour is free and they give you three free samplers just for going on the tour.

I've never been to Half Acre, and have only had their Daisy Cutter from a can before, but it's really tasty, and again, if it's not distributed to where you're from, I would try it.

I am sure that some other Chicagoons can give you some other recommendations.

Zombie Dust and Arctic Panzer Wolf are the two to have from FFF. Something about Dreadnaught rubs me the wrong way. I've hated every single thing I've tried from Two Brothers (and I've tried pretty much all their stuff) except Hop Juice, and even that was mediocre. Get some stuff from Founder's. Dirty Bastard is great. Chicago specific: head over to Revolution Brewery. They have some good stuff. Half Acre only has a few beers that I like by them and they are all seasonals: Sticky Fat and Double Daisy Cutter. I don't like regular Daisy Cutter but the double is awesome. Bell's Two Hearted remains a mainstay for me. Get some Goose Island Bourbon County if you can. However, I tend to prefer west (best) coast style beers. Anything from Firestone-Walker, Lagunitas, Stone, etc. are winners in my book.

If you're looking for beer bars: Map Room, Local Option, Hop Leaf, Long Room, and Sheffield's tends to have a good selection despite being pretty douchey on weekends.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Glottis posted:

I had the Sam Adams Flemish Red today (you read that right), "Stony Brook Red". It's boozier than you'd expect and not super sour, but I was pleasantly surprised with it. It comes in a really cool bottle, too.

I got this about a week or two ago, it was good enough that I bought an extra bottle to let it sit for a while and a bottle of New World and 13th Hour. And its only like half because I like the bottles.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

Sirotan posted:

Currently drinking a Bells Bourbon Barrel Batch 9000. drat, it's really good but the alcohol is definitely present. 14% ABV means I won't be driving home for a while. The licorice is much more predominant than the bourbon. I'm guessing I will miss out on the bottle release so I'm glad I had it on tap.

I have never heard of it until you said that. Im a beer novice (22 years old) but im trying to expand my taste. Where could I pick this up at in the U.S.? The Spic's here didnt have any. However they did have Rogue Dead Guy which is my favorite at the moment so I guess it will do for now.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Incursus posted:

I have never heard of it until you said that. Im a beer novice (22 years old) but im trying to expand my taste. Where could I pick this up at in the U.S.? The Spic's here didnt have any. However they did have Rogue Dead Guy which is my favorite at the moment so I guess it will do for now.

god i hope you're talking about the name of the store and not like the corner bodega.

if you want to know where certain breweries are distributed, use seekabrew.com (although in the case of the BA Batch 9000, i have a feeling that might be brewery-only)

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that
So Brown Shugga' is back this year. I hope we get a Holidays Rock beer or something too this year.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

god i hope you're talking about the name of the store and not like the corner bodega.

I'm preeeeety sure he meant Spec's which is the main chain across Texas.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I'm preeeeety sure he meant Spec's which is the main chain across Texas.

wait does this make it more or less racist

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Docjowles posted:

wait does this make it more or less racist

Well, it is a white bunny

Back when I lived in Houston my Spec's had a topiary bunny :3:

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Drinking a Deconstruction Ale tonight and I don't quite know what to make of it. It's not bad by any stretch, but its certainly not great. I guess "busy" would be the best term I can come up with. Am I doing this wrong? I've never had an O'Dell's I didn't love, ad this was supposed to be their holy grail.
Maybe I just expected too much.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I finally got to experience, well I'm still experiencing, Bourbon County Stout. The nose is very heavy on the coconut with oak and bourbon being the next prominent aromas and vanilla hanging in the back, I'm not picking up any of the base beer really the aroma is all barrel. This is definitely a sipper though, this is a very thick beer. Dark chocolate and hints of raisins are throughout with the coconut being a strong flavor on the mid-taste, the finish is pretty much just bourbon and oak with a bit of coconut. This is a solid bourbon barrel aged beer, and I love how thick it is, but I won't go out of my way to get it next year, though I would like to eventually have a 4 year vertical so I guess it'd be nice to get a 4 pack every year.

I think KBS is the best BBA imperial stout I've ever had so far, with Parabola coming in second, BCS is up there, top 5 probably, but I don't think it's worth hunting down if you've had KBS or Parabola.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Incursus posted:

Unfortunately, the only place to get this beer is directly from the brewery in Michigan. They have plans to bottle it, but it's going to be s special release which means they will sell it from the brewery store and not even announce when it comes out.

There is always a chance you could drink some at a special Bells event, bit I don't think they distribute to Texas.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I just posted this in the Chicago Thread if you're looking for a primer on the beer bars.

Beer Bars for Chicago.

I feel like I've posted this a couple of times, but it keeps changing so be patient.

Beer Bars:
Map Room - Close to 30 taps, 2 nitro, 1 engine, great bottle selection, absolutely mobbed on weekend nights.
Hopleaf - Phenomenal taplist (Belgian centered), expansive beer list, great food, douchebag bartenders (in my experience)
Clark St Ale House - Moderate tap list, moderate bottle list focus on local craft brews, great atmosphere, 4am.
Acre - Down the st from Hopleaf, excellent taplist, solid food, enormous space.
The Owl - Moderate taplist, solid can and bottle offering, decent prices ($2 Tap Tuesdays) 4am, really fun place.
Small Bar (2 locations) - Above par bar food, great beer list with excellent specials, Logan Square has a beer garden, Division is tiny, Fullerton location is now a Beer Bistro.
Bangers and Lace - Excellent sausage, esoteric taplist, pricy.
Fatpour - 50 taps, table tap novelty, Hasa couple of citywide exclusives.
Local Option - Great food, ungodly beer list of rarities, The place to go to try something you've never had.
Villains - Excellent chill place with a solid tap and bottle selection.
Maria's Package Goods - Great selection, option to buy at retail and drink in bar, excellent pricing.
Skylark - Great vibe, solid American craft list, excellent jukebox.
Beer Bistro - Upscale vibe, over priced, good lists.
Fountainhead - Decent food, esoteric and reasonably priced taps.
Edit: Delilah's - Best cellar in the city, excellent and well cared for taps and one of the best whiskey selections.
Edit: Twisted Spoke - Dig into the rare beer selection and never come out, also great tap list, and occasionally something really rare will be there without much notice.
Edit: Quenchers - Solid taplist, solid bottles and great music venue.

Brewpubs:
Revolution: Amazing food, 10-12 house beers on at all times, great bottle list.
Goose Island Clybourn: See above with 15-17 house taps.
Haymarket: Great American Pales and the Riot sandwich, also sweet potato tots.
Atlas: Meh, may give them another shot, beer was all 1 dimensional.
Dryhop: When they open they might steal the spotlight from Revolution.

Food with an emphasis on beer:
Publican: Holy poo poo beer list, incredible food.
Purple Pig: 90% of the quality of the above for 66% of the price.

Great Burgers with a Great beer list(listed differently due to burger focus):
Kuma's
Bad Apple
Lockdown

This was just a quick list off the top of my head. There are more, but those are a great starting point.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I wanna move to Chicago. :(

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I had no idea The Publican had a list like that. Just goes to show you how far the beer thing has come in the last 2-3 years. You couldn't find much better than 60 Minute at fancier places...

And as usual, I'm going to pimp my local joint: I'll take Poor Phil's in Oak Park over any place listed because of the great combination of a lack of a beer snob crowd, the helpful and friendly bartenders and staff, the beautiful outdoor seating in nice weather, and a list that fluctuates between very good and dear-christ-how-did-you-get-a-keg-of-this. Like the Spoke (another favorite), they rarely advertise special tappings. Just another thing for people to enjoy there.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Surprised to see Poor Phil's mentioned. I love that place. I'm in Oak Park/Forest Park a decent amount and usually hit it up with my high school friends.

I'd also add in Piece. Their beers range from fine to pretty good, I think, and I love their pizza.
Mmmmmmm Publican.

I'm not sure if they are any good but Floyds Pub in Bucktown is having Begyle beers on tap tonight. I think I'm going to stop on my way home from work and grab one.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

Surprised to see Poor Phil's mentioned.

I'm torn. On one hand, I like to brag that such an awesome place is a block from my building. On the other, I'd like to keep it all to myself and not have the word get out...

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

Sirotan posted:

Unfortunately, the only place to get this beer is directly from the brewery in Michigan. They have plans to bottle it, but it's going to be s special release which means they will sell it from the brewery store and not even announce when it comes out.

There is always a chance you could drink some at a special Bells event, bit I don't think they distribute to Texas.

I recently moved to Indianapolis and for new years i am going to Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo is on the way. I will definitely stop for a visit. Is there anything else you could recommend from there you think I might like? Just visited the website and most of the beers are available here except the special brews.

Also yes that was a spelling error on my part. It is Spec's not Spic's.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Incursus posted:

I recently moved to Indianapolis and for new years i am going to Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo is on the way. I will definitely stop for a visit. Is there anything else you could recommend from there you think I might like? Just visited the website and most of the beers are available here except the special brews.

Also yes that was a spelling error on my part. It is Spec's not Spic's.

I'm not sure what list you found, but this is what you are going to want to check out before you visit: http://www.bellsbeer.com/eccentric-cafe/beers-on-tap/ (It's a webcam of the cafe tap list so the image I am adding below might not be the current list.)

It's a bit hard to read, but the BB Batch 9000 is at the top of the center column. If you are there when it's still on, get it. The One Goes To 11 Ale is in bottles but probably also great on tap.I've been told the Ravissant is good but haven't had it. I would recommend just getting whatever has the yellow Bell's stickers next to them, that means it's an exclusive to the cafe.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

It's Trader Joe's pick-a-six time! Who needs to pay hard money for Budweiser when I can have Simpler Times instead?

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I can't think of anything better to do when I only have $2.99+CRV

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Midorka posted:

I finally got to experience, well I'm still experiencing, Bourbon County Stout. The nose is very heavy on the coconut with oak and bourbon being the next prominent aromas and vanilla hanging in the back, I'm not picking up any of the base beer really the aroma is all barrel. This is definitely a sipper though, this is a very thick beer. Dark chocolate and hints of raisins are throughout with the coconut being a strong flavor on the mid-taste, the finish is pretty much just bourbon and oak with a bit of coconut. This is a solid bourbon barrel aged beer, and I love how thick it is, but I won't go out of my way to get it next year, though I would like to eventually have a 4 year vertical so I guess it'd be nice to get a 4 pack every year.

I think KBS is the best BBA imperial stout I've ever had so far, with Parabola coming in second, BCS is up there, top 5 probably, but I don't think it's worth hunting down if you've had KBS or Parabola.

I personally liked Parabola better than KBS but only by a hair. We get Goose Island, but I've never seen any GI beer in San Diego other than Sofie, Matilda and Pepe Nero.

In other news, for anyone who particularly cares, Ballast Point's Victory at Sea will be releasing again this month (meaning on Monday)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 19, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Jack Skeleton posted:

I can't think of anything better to do when I only have $2.99+CRV

Put that change back in your pocket sir, OR has no sales tax :woop:

currently having a Chainbreaker to get the Simpler Times taste out of the mouth

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I personally liked Parabola better than KBS but only by a hair. We get Goose Island, but I've never seen any GI beer in San Diego other than Sofie, Matilda and Pepe Nero.

In other news, for anyone who particularly cares, Ballast Point's Victory at Sea will be releasing again this month (meaning on Monday)

Sofie, Matilda, and Pepe Nero are all excellent if you haven't had them, as is their Nut Brown Ale and IPA. I was surprised with the quality of all of their beer, except BCS.

Victory at Sea may very well be my favorite beer of all time, I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Does anyone know if Victory at Sea is distributed to OH? I've been into beer for just over a year, and I think I missed it last year. I'm hoping not to make the same mistake twice, it sounds like it would be right up my alley.