Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Mikkeller has as many bad misses as he does hits but Brunch Weasel is loving fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Munkaboo posted:

Interesting, the tour guide said we should go there since they (the tour company) do unlimited tastings.

So it looks like we might be doing:

Stone
Lost Abbey/Port
Alesmith / Ballast Point (might split time here)
Dropoff at Pizza Port Ocean Beach.

I wanted to do Alpine but we may just find a local friend to take us there.

Any suggestions?

I have been to San Diego for beer heavy vacations and the best route depends on your origination point. There are a lot of breweries that are spread out across the greater SD area but with a little planning you can do an awesome loop.
The best one I've ever done was more or less a bachelor party beer trip with some friends, we drove up from Tucson and it went something like this.

If you are driving in from Arizona Alpine is a logical place for stop #1, which as mentioned is a LONG rear end way away from any place else but is totally optimal if you are driving in from that direction. Pick up some bottles, have some samplers and the head out for downtown San Diego.

Drive in towards downtown and you'll hit Alesmith, sample some fresh IPA/Yulesmith and Nautical Nut Brown (one of their two non-bottled offerings) and head around the corner to Ballast Point. Glory in the greatness of fresh Sculpin, go on their fun tour and maybe try one of their specials.

Green Flash didn't use to be around there last time I drove to SD, but they are just a few minutes drive from Alesmith/Ballast Point so you might as well check that out and try something that suites you fancy like say Rayon Vert, which is kind of a west coast Orval and is awesome.

After that you've pretty much cleared out your morning and the downtown San Diego brewery area so its logical to head out for lunch at Pizza Port Carlsbad (a bit of a drive but in the right direction). Try the clam/shrimp pizza with some awesome beers and stop by the bottle shop next door for epic bottle access.

After that head down the highway and hit up Lost Abbey and then head in towards Escondido for your final two stops. First is Holiday Wine Cellar which is a really great bottle shop that pulls out a lot of vintage stuff on occasion and has done some really awesome anniversary collaborations with local breweries. Then head to Stone and plan to spend the rest of your evening (and liver) drinking from their awesome tap list and cellar selection while eating some great food.

Day 2 hit the bars. Churchills, Obriens, Hamiltons, Toronado, Blind Lady Ale House, Tiger Tiger Tav

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Phanatic posted:

Yep.

Friend of mine was visiting from Phoenix. His family's Pennsylvania Mennonites from Lancaster. I took him to Monks, he said he'd never had a lambic, so I got him a Hanssens Experimental Cassis. He liked it, and said "You know who would have loved this? My grandfather, he drank a glass of vinegar every day for his health."

I always wonder how they come up with those figures. What, some time a bit over three years ago, they made a test batch to cellar, sampled it periodically, and then when it turns back into a pumpkin they figure "Three years it is, let's brew it for real"? Sort of like how they proof bridges by driving bigger and bigger trucks over the bridge until it fails, and then rebuild the bridge and put up weight limit signs based on the last truck that made it over.

Experience.
The same way that winemakers will harvest grapes, call it a vintage harvest for being exceptional for XYZ reasons, then make the wine and have to age it for 4-10 years before its gotten to where the winemakers expected it to.
A good brewer knows the nuances in what creates certain flavors and certain brewing techniques that affect how the beer tastes as it ages.
It also helps that they are talking about sours and 13% imperial porters, two things that age very well.
If you take styles

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

cryme posted:

The Grand Cru isn't any more sour than the original Rodenbach, it's just a blend of younger and older versions. If you come across any of the oak-aged reserve Rodenbachs, GET IT. It's awesome. I had one from 2007, and there's a bottle at my local store of the 2009 that I hope is still there when I go in search of Hoptimum today.

I would say the Grand Cru is more sour and overall more intense flavor wise than the regular Rodenbach, which has gotten rather sweet.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, it was fairly sweet. good, but i was expecting something more sour based on the conversation in the previous threads (which might actually have been about the grand cru).

re: Sorachi Ace, i don't get pot from that at all. like Midorka said, it's pretty overwhelmingly lemongrass to me. going back a bit, i have smelled a beer that was reminiscent of cat piss, and i've smelled pot plants that had a similar odor, and since pot and hops are related... yeah, i don't think that's an inaccurate descriptor, although it's certainly an unappealing one.

Ever since Peter left Rodenbach and Rudy took over brewing their beers have tended towards sweeter, though a new Rodenbach Grand Cru that has like 6 months on it gets more towards where it used to be.
The Rodenbach Vintage releases (a Rudy invention) are better than the old Rodenbach Grand Cru, more developed flavor profile and sourness that is pretty drat good.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Im behind on beer blogging so I'm going to do a little quick catchup.

St Somewhere Cynthiana, basically a rather effervescent Belgian Amber with a good dose of wine grapes. I was expecting this to be pretty sour as St Somewhere is known to do, but it was actually incredibly drinkable and nuanced. Slightly tart, a little Belgian biscuit-like amber character, and then a good but not overpowering wine character that really complimented the base beer. Quite enjoyable.

Stillwater Folklore, some kind of Belgian porter / stout that was a little flat and harsh at first but after a little warming up and some breathing it opened up into a really complex interesting beer. A little bit of Belgian esters and a good balance between big bodied and dry, it comes off as a good not roasty porter with some earthiness, a little spice, unsweetened dark chocolate and a hint of brown sugar. Very nice.

I had a leftover Hopslam from 2011 and did a fun experiment with some 2012 Hopslam one night. New Hopslam is quite sweet though not cloying, fresh and hoppy (duh) and pretty tasty.
Old hopslam actually held up better than I expected, the oxidization was strong and the hops were pretty muted but better than I would have guessed this beer aged for a year would have been. If I had been served this at a bar I would have returned it though, with some of the residual sweetness gone (age) and the loss of all fresh hops flavors and then the bombardment of oxidized pale beer character makes it not very good.
I did keep it in my fridge at 37f the whole time though, so its fairly favorable aging circumstances. I consider it a date study as to why all beers (especially IPAs) should be date stamped with when they were brewed in a way thats easy for consumers to read.

Marin White Knuckle Imperial IPA. Great beer. Stupidly, abrasively, acidically hoppy with a balanced level of malt character to back it up while not being sweet. Near the end I was kind of thinking its a little bit like an Imperial Deschutes Red Chair.

When I heard they were making a new batch of this for early 2012 release I was trepidations, the original 2010 batch remains among one of my favorite all time beers. I often describe it as "St Sixtus and Orval doing a collaboration beer" as it marries the great qualities of a nice quad with the nice funkiness of Orval.
The reason for my doubts was the fact that the brain behind this beer, Chad Yakobson, had left Odell in late 2010 or early 2011 to start his own brewery, Crooked Stave. Chad is an amazing brewer and is amazing with his use of brett and I thought that it would be hard for them to pull it off again without his expertise.
Fortunately for Odell pull it off they did, with some slight differences that are neither improvements or downgrades. It still pulls off a good rich quad character with a nice brett B pineapple funk to it and a nice subtle underlying vanilla oak character. Also like Orval its carbonated as gently caress and likes to outgrow the glass its put in.
I would say its got a little more robust dark malt character compared to the first batch and is a little more boldly flavored overall and not quite as nuanced as the first batch. I'm going to have to go and pick up a few more of these before its gone.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Vertigo posted:

Second, a Leinenkugels(sp?) Big Eddy. Local shop was clearning out the 2011 4 packs, with a $12 price tag and a free Big Eddy Snifter. Really enjoying this beer. It's smooth, it's got the flavors I like and the hops arent dominant at all. Excellent brew.

Big Eddy is a brand with multiple beers, all big ones. Which one did you have? I have some 2011 RIS I keep saying Im going to try...

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

CalvinDooglas posted:

Unfortunately not, as none have been released yet except limited taps at brewery events. I plan to harp on how much I love their Tripel.

They have bottled a number of the coolship beers that were brewery-only releases in very small numbers.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Wamsutta posted:

Is that the one that some people's taste buds pick up as onions and garlic

Yes, but just because a beer uses summit doesn't mean you'll get onion/garlic.
Green Flash Imperial IPA uses summit along with a bunch of other hops. I don't get onion/garlic out of this beer, its pretty drat delicious.
Oscar Blues Gubna is strictly summit and its also strictly onion, don't care much for it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Hop extract is totally different than hop vodka. There are many different ways to make different kinds of hop extracts, the common one for unisomerized alpha acid extraction is the supercritical co2 extraction like mentioned by Docjowles.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ubik posted:

I think hop extract is still subject to the same solubility limits as normal hops, but it's a far more efficient way of packing more IBUs into your beer. Like Docjowles said, you don't get so much volume loss from the hops absorbing the wort when using hop extract for bittering. And it probably makes it easier for the alpha acids to isomerize and absorb into the beer, so it might allow a few ticks extra that whole/pellet hops wouldn't. Not that you'd taste them, since the human palate taps out somewhere around the 100 IBU mark.

If you want to try a super-fun experiment, taste a spoon of hop extract. It tastes like burning! :haw:

It tastes like you just put a black hole of pungency in your mouth and you are going to die. Then you wash it down with a beer and it tastes loving awesome!
I do not recommend doing this more than once for "fun".

CO2 hop extracts are not pre-isomerized which means its not bitter, still need to boil the extracts to get bitterness out of it, meaning basically it acts just like hops.
However its still REALLY loving intense and you basically can't taste anything but burning and some sweetness from a beer for an hour.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Kosher man posted:

I use butt loads of hop extract because it is cheap and gives a really nice clean bitterness. That being said I have made every single person who works here dip their finger in it and taste it. I even get people walking through the door to try it. Why? Because I am a rear end in a top hat and love the look on their face.

Thats just mean and I like it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Angry Grimace posted:

I might literally fight someone who stole half of my beer cellar and tried to pull off a "I figured it was okay," excuse. Where the gently caress does that work? I don't even steal my roommate's basic, replaceable food without asking. The fact he "knew some guys at FW" makes it even worse, since he is more likely to actually understand what he did.

This is hosed. I'm pretty sure you are allowed to murder him in cold blood for drinking an Earthmonk 08.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I've had a few bottles of Hoptimum over the last two weeks and I declare it the best Big (9%+) Imperial IPA on the market.

This is how you do an maxed out IPA. Very high bitterness, very high hoppiness and very high alcohol but "balance" it out so that its pleasant and drinkable. Low sweetness from being fairly dry and low specialty malts, but enough to support the bracing bitterness and hoppiness. Way better than this years hopslam and its not a sweet cloying mess like a lot of IPAs in this category get like say Maharaja.

Was at a Big Beer Tasting last night and we cleared out a liver destroying amount of high ABV beers that for the most part were pretty good.

I brought this one and it actually drank pretty drat nice for 17.5% ABV. Some sweetness, fair amount of roasted barley / dark chocolate and a nice smoked almost espresso like character.

Highlights and general musings of the night
Finally had 2011 Bourbon County Coffee and it was pretty good, would love to try it fresh!
Abacus 2011 and Sucaba 2012 side by side were pretty drat close to the same beer, with 2012 being a little dryer and less malty but mostly the same expression.
2005 Avery Samaels Oak Aged tastes like a nice sherry or maderia, very tasty.
2004 Avery The Beast still tastes like The Beast.
1994 Sam Adams Triple Bock was finally drinking like a good beer instead of a gross soy sauce mess. Extreme richness like a tawny port, lots of dark malt character and some maple actually coming out. Only took 18 years.
KBS is always good and just gets better with age (10-11-12 vertical that I almost didn't get there in time for but caught some small sips).
One of my homebrewing buddies brought a kick rear end Hair of the Dog Adam clone with the official recipe put out by HOTD but he aged it in a rum cask for 6 months and it was just stupidly good.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Midorka posted:

I know tastebuds and poo poo, but you should get yours or the bottle you had checked.

I've had Maharaja tons and tons of times, I can barely stand more than two or three ounces of IPAs like this anymore.
Prior to 2007 it used to not be as sweet and I enjoyed it more, but Avery pulled out of AZ last year so I wont get any 2012 so I don't know if its gone back to its leaner, dryer self.
Something about the pale malt grist, loads of bitterness, high alcohol and high final gravity just really puts it into yucky-feeling-in-the-mouth cloying, some American Barleywines doing the same thing. I suspect that some water chemistry property like final pH, chloride, sulfate or sodium levels (or combinations thereof) might be a contributing factor because some big IPAs I just can't get enough of and a lot of them I can't drainpour fast enough.
Sierra Nevada gets it right on all counts with Hoptimum and Torpedo.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Midorka posted:

quote:
Actually, in 1946 St. Bernardus (then Sint-Sixtus of Westvleteren) was licensed to brew Westvleteren because they did not want to commercialize the beer. They used the original recipe, yeast strain and know-how as the monks in the monastery. Their license came to an end in 1992, but they continue to brew it under the name St. Bernardus. In fact, they are more true to the original recipe than Westvleteren because they are still using the original yeast strain. Whereas Westvleteren switched to Westmalle yeast and new recipe I believe.

Thats pretty close. A homebrewing companion book called "Brew Like A Monk" by Stan Hieronymus (which is an extremely excellent beer/brewing book) covered all the trappists in great detail, visiting all of the monestaries and prominent abbeys and talking with the brewers (monks and laypeople alike) to get a really good history.

He doesn't list out every last detail but the general recent history timeline in the book goes like:
Westvleteren was growing pretty large in 1946 and they decided to sell all the cafe's (except the one across the street, In De Vrede) and have the beer produced under license by St Bernardus until in 1989 when they decided to overhaul the St Sixtus brewhouse and began brewing once again in 1992.

Previous to the reopening in 1992 the St Sixtus/Westvleteren had used their own yeast they had used from god knows when and it is theorized that when the head brewer from Westvleteren went to St Bernardus to set up brewing of their beers he probably brought some of the house yeast with him.

It is also theorized that the St Bernardus 12 and others are related to the old original Westvleteren beers and may still use the same house yeast.
They now use the classic yeast by Westmalle but in a different way.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

air- posted:

rage-saq: I actually have a 3rd edition of that Nogne O Dark Horizon. Have you tried more than one batch? Curious to see how different they might be.

I've only had 2 (17.5% abv) and 3 (15.5% abv) and as far as I know they are totally different recipes and beers although there is a common idea between them. Very strong old ale / imperial stout like beers with a little smoke.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

crazyfish posted:

The Rayon Vert (Belgian pale with brett) is outstanding. Highly recommended.

I'm totally digging on Rayon Vert, its like a west coast Orval with lots of cascades hops. Super delicious and drinkable and just enough brett to set it apart from just another american pale ale.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Two beer trip reports.
A few pages ago I dogged on Maharaja for being too sweet only to admit to not having had one in at least a year. One of my buddies brought picked up one of the last batches when he was in California and brought it over to my place for a brewday last week. So here I am at it again.

Not quite as heavy on the more intense crystal malts (sugary sweet flavor) as I remember, but there is still some (too much) in there. The label makes you think it has relatively good attenuation but it has an extremely thick mouthfeel and considerable residual sweetness.
Its fairly bitter and hoppy yeah, but after my part of a pint from the 3 way bottle split it was definitely all I wanted part of.

Following up from that we opened up some Green Flash Palate Wrecker. At 9.5% it weighs a little less than the Maharaja but crushes it in every way. Crisper character, a good amount of hop flavor, very little residual sweetness/maltiness followed by lots, and lots of bitterness.
Seriously this is the flavor of bitterness. This is the beer that fizzy yellow wussy beers scare their little kids around campfires with scary bitter beer face stories. The bitterness is so strong it reminds me of eating hop extract, but infinitely more pleasant.
Sure its completely unbalanced bitter but Green Flash pulls it all together and it just works. Drinks great and doesn't mess around.

In my heart of hearts the Big IPA and Regular IPA crowns are still championed by the awesomeness of Hoptimum and Sculpin respectively, but Palate Wrecker gets a special spot as the flat out ballsiest most bitter beer I've ever had, and its still good too!

Stillwater has this thing with beers brewed with a great farmhouse yeast and I have a thing for loving the everloving poo poo out of them, and Of Love and Regret is no different. The label declares this as being like a fresh meadow in spring and they aren't exaggerating in the least. There is this wonderful mild grassy fresh hops combined with some flowery botanicals on top of this light, really easy drinking saison and its just delicious. Its a tad on the expensive side or I'd buy this one a LOT.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I've said numerous times I have more or less a love affair with Stillwater. They really make it hard to not gush about their beers...

:allears:

The nice and dry hoppy saison with a little spices (thyme & sage) that we all know and love put in a red wine barrel with some brett. Based on the description you would be thinking something bold, funky and pretty tart/acidic, which would be nice (like say Allagash Interlude) but you would also be wrong.

The barrel aging mellows this out a little bit, just enough to take the "brightness" off the hops without muting them. The oak and red wine are really subtle, you get just the right amount to let you know they are there, with an interesting complexity added by the tannins from both that really turn this into art. The brett barely lets you know its there, with just a slight appearance in the nose throwing up some faint pineapple/mango esters.

This beer drinks more like a fine wine showing restraint, balance, nuances and a well balanced character and I really wish I had some more.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Westvleteren :argh:

Doesn't ship.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Midorka posted:

Edit: Does anyone else feel Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum would have better ratings if it weren't so cheap and easily available for a 10.4% ABV well balanced high hopped beer? 3.9 seems low for such a good drat beer.

3.9 is a pretty good score but yes it should be rated higher, its the best commercial IIPA I've had and I've had nearly everything short of PtY.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

mysterious frankie posted:

I keep noticing Palate Wrecker around since reading this thread and want to try it, because of the name. But then I refuse to buy it... because of the name. Palate Wrecker + hops makes it sound like something so imbalanced in its hoppiness that it would give me phantom piss shivers just to smell it.

Yes, Palate Wrecker is just inappropriately bitter, but its awesome.

I would say Hoptimum is more hoppy than palate wrecker and an overall better IIPA but nobody has nothing on the bitterness of Palate Wrecker. There is tons more hop flavor and aroma going on in Hoptimum along with a quite strong (but not as strong as Palate Wrecker) bitterness that really to me put it into the category of being a better overall IIPA.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

crazyfish posted:

I'm a huge fan of Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, but that's more of an English style barleywine than an American. Actually, are 'old ales' the same thing as English barleywines, or does old ale imply the presence of brett?

Third Coast Old Ale is... an Old Ale. They are different than English Barleywines, they can have a slight brett C or lactic acid character but usually have a bit of a brown malt character (light roast, not like a stout though) and a lower hop character.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

CalvinDooglas posted:

There's sort of a muddled spectrum spanning Old Ale to Scotch Ale to English Barleywine. They have much in common and the style borders are loosely defined by the presence of key flavors/ingredients like black-roasted malts, peat flavors, overt sweetness, presence of hops, or ABV. English Barleywines tend to be very sweet with some alcohol heat, Old Ales are weaker and more roasty.

Some similarities yes but I would actually say the differences are quite clear as well.

English barleywine: heavy pale malt character, some sweetness from specialty malts and some from a pretty high finishing gravity. Firm bitterness, firm (but not high) english hop and english yeast character.

Old Ale: lots of malt character and some sweetness, fair brown/darker malt character and a moderate finishing gravity. Moderate bitterness, low hop character, probably some english yeast character, optional brett/lactic character but very mild if so.

Wee Heavy: Heavy golden promise (pale premium barley) malt character with small amounts of roasted barley (no other specialty malt character). Lots of malt character and sweetness from high finishing gravity, low bitterness and lots of scottish yeast character. No hop character.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I've done Abacus/Sucaba 2011/2012 side by sides and they are pretty goddamn close to the same beer, the differences are very very minor.
The beer is not aged exclusively in a particular bourbon producers barrels, but many types barrels which includes (well used) wine and brandy barrels and then it is blended. Most of their barrels are bourbon barrels though.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Kraven Moorhed posted:

So I'm pretty sure a 12 of Torpedo is one of the best (relatively) cheap beer purchases I've made. I've been abstaining from Sierra Nevada for some time based on a few bad experiences, but trying Ruthless Rye and my recent run-in with Bigfoot made me reconsider. Anything else by them I should be looking out for?

Hoptimum, all of the Ovila belgian styles, celebration are all top notch.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

escape artist posted:

I had Chimay Blue last night, the beer that initiated my foray into the craft beer world. I was very disappointed. I felt as if it had no complexity at all.

Did I get a bad bottle or is this how Chimay has always tasted and my palette is just changing?

I've always felt that way about Chimay. The best thing they make is their cheese.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

air- posted:

SAVOR events are starting to show up now.

May as well just wire all my money to Churchkey. Holy gently caress. I don't even know where to begin on this lineup.
http://dcbeer.com/2012/05/21/churchkey-to-set-new-record-with-sierranevada-tap-takeover/

This is also sounding promising at RFD:
http://www.lovethebeer.com/brickskellerbeertastings/index.html

Holy poo poo, nearly every one of those sounds awesome. Ovila Saison aged in red wine barrels, brown saison aged in french oak syrah, bourbon barrel aged ovila quad, hoptimum on cask all sound awesome and I'm sure some of those other things are unknown gems.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

internet celebrity posted:

One thing I'll never understand is why dubbels and quads are dark and tripels are light. Also, if a tripel is light can someone explain why there is also a category for "Belgian Golden Strong Ale?" The only real difference I see in the descriptions are that Belgian golden strong ales are slightly drier and more citrusy.

The singel/dubbel/tripel/quadrupel/etc thing was pretty much started by Westmalle, an old school Trappist abbey brewery. In the 1800s they made a dark, strongish brown ale and called it a Dubbel and later in the early 1900s they made the Tripel, both of which were basically "brand names" and not styles. They were probably picked as references to the strength of the beer
They were both pretty unique and commonly recognized as first-of-style for their times, though Belgian culture is not so classification-obsessed that they really care about calling a beer by its (mostly American defined) style. In Belgium a beer is usually referred to by its color (blond, amber, bruin, donkel, etc) and sometimes by a general style like "trappist" or "special". If its high abv they might throw the word strong on it and if they are feeling particularly anal they might denote if one is sour or not.
Check out this beer list from Cambrinus in Brugge and note the lack of excessive categorization. http://www.cambrinus.eu/bierkaart.htm

Its really the American culture that is classification-anal, which carries forward into the beer world and the 88ish mostly bullshit categories that the GABF and WBC recognize for competition purposes. Go look at how many categories not-too-far-off-mainstream style IPAs medal it, its like a half dozen or more.

Anyhow, modern beer categories more or less classify Dubbel/Tripel/Quadrupel categories as "Trappist" styles, which are traditionally quite dry, with mild/moderate bitterness (but next to no hoppiness) to balance the sweetness, fairly simple malt bills with a large amount of the beers character coming from special house yeasts.

Dubbels are fairly simple with a bit of a dark fruit / light chocolate slant that is fairly easy drinking. The typification of the style is the Westmalle Dubbel, and most other examples are going to be pretty similar.
Tripels are stronger and a bit richer in both malt character and bitterness and usually feature a more pronounced yeast character. A very simple recipe (pilsner malt, sugar, hops) means that this beer style is almost exclusively about the yeast. Spicey, estery, fruity, clovey is all from the yeast.
Again Westmalle invented this style of beer but there are a lot of really excellent examples out there like the Allagash Tripel.
Quadrupels are very big complex beers with lots of rich dark flavors like cocoa, fig, dates and so forth. So many good examples out there its hard to pick a favorite aside from the obligatory Westvleteren 12.

So you might think that the category of Tripel makes the Belgian Golden Strong style kind of redundant, and you are partly right. There are enough differences between a Duvel (the typification of a BGS) and a Westmalle Tripel that a separate category emerged.
A BGS is typically lighter in color/malt character, dryer, less bitter but fairly hoppy. Duvel and Damnation are two excellent examples and drat near the exact same recipe.

This concludes this weeks edition of Masterpiece Beer Nerdery Classic.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Docjowles posted:

To be fair it's an "imperial pilsner" which just isn't a style I enjoy/respect. Locally Odell's makes a Double Pilsner and I don't like it either. It just tastes like a heavy, boozier pilsner which is the opposite of why I reach for a that style.

Imperial Pilsner is kind of an oxymoron like a Strong Mild. The flavor (and whole point) of those styles is to be light on the palate.
The only Imperial Pilsner I've had that was not grossly sweet and an abomination before all of beerdom was Port Panzer Pils and then mainly only the first batch.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

wattershed posted:

Also, speaking of Koningshoeven, have you or anyone else had the barrel-aged version of their quad? It's always so expensive, I have trouble pulling the trigger on it but I can't see it being anything less than awesome.

Yes. Its awesome and totally worth it. Picked it up for a stupidly high price at Stone on vacation but.. I was on vacation and having some awesome food.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
"Belgian IPA"s are crap. I've not had one American "Belgian IPA" that I thought was any good.
Rayon Vert is not a Belgian IPA and its awesome, Le Freak kind of is and I think its totally passable.
What is awesome is American Farmhouse beers, some of which get quite hoppy but the character melds with the good saison yeast character to make a totally awesome beer.
Boulevard Tank 7, Saison Brett, Stillwater Cellar Door, Stateside Saison, Lost Abbey Carnevale, Ovila Saison, Green Flash/St Fueillien Biere de L'Amitie are excellent examples of an American Farmhouse / hoppy saison and I could drink them nearly every day.
I made an hoppy American Farmhouse with Falconers Flight & Simcoe hops and it was so stupidly good.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Going to be in Denver tonight and tomorrow night for work and I might get a tiny bit of time to head out to a bar. Anything special going on in the Denver scene tonight or should I just walk down the street to Falling Rock and call it good?

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 9, 2012

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

caiman posted:

For the sake of education, what does it mean to be Belgian Style?

This isn't a silly question or a meaningless one, but to a lot of people its going to be hard to really understand unless you know a lot about brewing.
The simplest way to sum up the the "What is Belgian style?" question is to say "it uses Belgian yeast". There are other things like malt profile, hop profile and attenuation that are also strong hallmarks of Belgian style beers but ultimately you can't brew a Belgian style beer without Belgian yeast.
Belgian yeast is different than other yeasts because it has a strong ester/phenol character it imparts in the beer during growth and fermentation that contributes positively towards the flavor of the beer. Yeasts traditionally classified as American and German in origin are a lot "cleaner" in the sense that they impart as little character as possible and British yeasts are kind of inbetween where they impart a lot of doughy/bready flavors.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

ShaneB posted:

I believe rage-saq is the biggest fan of highly aged Matilda, saying it gets as good/better than Orval.

I prefer it to Orval because I don't like Hallertau and Orval has a Hallertau and Matilda doesn't. I'm also not crazy about Saaz but it works in Matilda.
I've aged several vintages of Matilda though none as old as 2007 and I've also done side by side comparisons.
(batch 8/11/11) Matilda aged less than 6 months warm is pretty flat and boring, certainly compared to one aged for a year (batch 12/10/10). The young matilda has no funk because the brett hasn't had the time, and that is what really what makes the beer. The beers really taste dramatically different.
Open up that same batch of Matilda months later (which I have) and the funk is there and the beer is awesome. I opened both up once recently when they were 18 months and 12 months old and they started to resemble the same beer with slight differences.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

SketchyNick posted:

Yeast is everywhere. Dont act like there isnt wild yeast spores on you right now (unless you never leave your house?). Take a leaf, press it on a agar petri plate and wait a couple days and I bet one of the specimens will be a yeast.

Saccharomyces covers drat near every square inch of this earth. It's almost like a divine being wanted beer to happen...

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

cryme posted:

<beer from Dogfish head> used to be <good>. Every year <beers from Dogfish Head> get(s) worse

fixed

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

cryme posted:

It's kind of sad but true. Their year rounds haven't really had an appreciable decline in quality, but the ones that initially inspired a bunch of hype have fallen off hard. And they are really obsessed with the ancient ales and this yeast they cultured here in delaware (it's bad and i hate it)

Too much chasing of extreme, crazy and off the wall beer instead of chasing making the beer actually good and repeatable. They are one of the established, larger, more sophisticated craft brewshops in the US and its sad to see quality take a back seat to bat poo poo insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
So I went over to a buddies and the four of us had a little sour fest, we all decided to bring some really good poo poo we keep meaning on drinking and it got a little ridiculous.

Avery Dihos Dactylon
Capt Lawrence Rosse e Marron batch 4
Capt Lawrence Cuvee de Castleton batch 3
Lost Abbey Cable Car 2009 !
Lost Abbey Duck Duck Gooze !
Isabelle Proximus !
Beatification batch 3 !
a bottle of my sour bourbon barrel quad with cherries that was quite good

good times