Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
The only reason that I knew this was what the outcome would be is because this is the 3rd time that this same scenario has played out. And that just in the time that I've lived in Chicago (since 2003)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

danbanana posted:

Not a big fan of most of their stuff but Rayon Vert is a really excellent year-round brett beer. Not Saison Brett good or anything but it definitely scratches that itch and is pretty cheap (~$10 a 4-pack).

If they send Abyss to Australia but not Chicago, I'm going to raise ruckus...

Personally, the only Deschutes beers I love are the Black Butte anniversary variations.

Chainbreaker was in pretty heavy rotation at my house this summer.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I dont' think of it as a spiced IPA, I feel it's more in line with a hoppy wit, akin to Gumballhead or Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin'(Technically American wheats but, similar idea)

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I've been away from the thread and not posting due to not drinking, and then when I picked up drinking again, I was slow to pick back up posting.

Highlights from the past 3 months.

Brewery Vivant Trebuchet is a treat of a DIPA, but for the price it's not a regular buy for me.
Jester King Funk Metal was an awesome blend of funky tart and roasty stout with an awesome tart cherry vibe as well.
Stone Vertical Epic (I know, but my wife wanted to try them too) 07, and 11 are the only good ones, 06 and 08 weren't bad, 10 and 12 were kinda terrible. 9 was forgettable at best.
Goose Island Gillian - I've been waiting for this to be bottled since it was Scully when the WBC, CBC and Chicago Craft Beer Week all coincided. It was excellent, lightly tart, great fresh strawberry right on the front. I can't imagine the strawberry will last too long when kept though (if the 2011 Madame Rose I had recently is any indication), so drink it now.
Thomas Hardy 2007 - Completely uncarbonated, tasted like caramelized figs with toffee and Pedro Jimenez.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

danbanana posted:

Last year, if I remember right (and let's be honest, poo poo is hazy that day), you showed up, told them your name/showed ID, and you got your glass. So unless you contacted them prior to have a name change, I dunno how it would work without the original ticket buyer there as well.

You can transfer tickets via brown paper tickets, you just need to have the ticket number with bar code and the name of the original ticket buyer. Pretty sure you can do the whole transfer via e-mail or text message. I think when I did it it was through text message.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

DC Brau On the Wings of Armageddon is a really solid IIPA. Really, really good. Just enough malt backbone to stand up to the heavy hopping. It was surprisingly excellent. Thanks, nosleep.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I might be able to be down for a Chicago bottle share, it all depends on timing. I have a bottle of 1998 Triple Bock if anyone's interested.

(I also have non terrible beer)

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I used to work at Lush,a nd haven't been in in a while, but I did love Imperial Brown Goose when it was available, and it seems Mitch and Cliff have taken a swing at recreating it...sorta.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

LeafHouse, you're a gentleman and a scholar, and I applaud your generosity. Also, I entered.

Also, if any of the Chicagoons are interested i"M playing a Martyrs next Saturday night with my funk band Gramps the Vamp, come check it out.

Ah, drat, new page.

Last night, I opened the oak aged barleywine from Schlafly. The barleywine was toffee deliciousness, and a great platform for the very subdued oak. Highly suggested.

BoredByThis fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 11, 2014

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

We probably know each other, Kevin got me into the band, I played ultimate for quite a while. I'm the bari player.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I'm going to be in Akron to play a show at Musica this Friday night and was wondering if there's anything special available at the Hoppin' Frog taproom (bottles or tap) that doesn't make it out to their regular distro? Also, Kudosx come on out and let me buy you a beer, my band is Vintage Blue, and we'll be closing out the night, I'll be the dude playing keys, saxes, percussion, glockenspiel, cowbell...and occasionally screaming into a microphone.

Edit: also, I can't cellar dive tonight, but I'll see what I can find that's interesting and rehearsal suitable.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I may have to stop by for Boris van Wink on Saturday on the way to Columbus (playing Scarlet and Gray Cafe Saturday night). Might be worth it.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Anderson Valley's Gose is pretty awesome. More salt than Off Color, similar lactic tartness, and not terribly expensive. I foresee a lot of those in my fridge this summer.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

cryme posted:

How's it compare to Westbrook? Anyone? I'm jonesing for Westbrook Gose bad right now

I haven't had Westbrook's Gose to compare, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Anderson Vally cans.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

It's just the most epic goozie coovie.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

bartolimu posted:

Unfortunately I don't think I can compete with the man himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1TODL6ziU

and I thought he'd done it all.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Since I failed at cellar raid day last week (not that I didn't do it, but that I opened something that I poured out almost immediately), I'm making up for it this week.

Last week I opened a 1997 Sam Adams Triple Bock. The stories are true. It is VILE. It tasted like Tamari and molasses had a baby. It was thicker than cough syrup, and left a solid brown sludge on the side of the bottle. I sipped it twice to see if I was missing something and poured it out.

Tonight, I opened a 2010 Rivertown Lambic, and it's very good, if a little one dimensional. Champagne-like effervescence, lemon and cider vinegar scent, very light and refreshing, slight acetone finish, but all in all a really excellent and easy drinking lambic, but like I said pretty simple. Also, the cork had rotted and was a pain to get out.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I think I supplied you with that beer in 2006 at Dark Lord Day.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Ubik posted:

Oh yeah, it's Cellar Raid Wednesday and I haven't done one of these yet. I do have reason to celebrate though: I just finished moving into a new apartment, and after three and a half years finally got my homebrew tap fridge back! So I should open up something I've been saving, I guess...

The one bottle of GI Bourbon County Vanilla I've been able to land. I've never actually tasted the beer as far as I can remember, so this is a first for me.

Aroma has all the rich, roasty, chocolatey goodness of most BCBS vintages, with an added figgy note from (what I presume is) oxidation and an extra hint of bourbon-y vanilla. The taste knocks it out of the park: Chocolate, bourbon, fig and vanilla, with incredibly smooth body and character; Baudoinia and Rare are probably the only two BCBS variants I've had that have been smoother. The vanilla isn't in the forefront but is definitely more prevalent than in other BCBS varieties. It's amazing that this beer has held up so well after four years, but then again it spent most of its life in Goose Island Fulton's main cooler.

That's also a bitchin' Crystal Gravy sticker on that fridge.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Illinois has 4 that are not Goose Island, Half Acre, Revolution, or Pipeworks. 2 From Haymarket, one from off-color and one from Small Town Brewing called Not Your Dad's Root Beer.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I found out what brown ales are for.

Having a 6 of Jupiter in my fridge and drinking through the first two and taking away nothing memorable other than , "Yeah, this is a brown ale" I figured out what to do with brown ales.

Are you ready for this...

Add a shot of your favorite brown liquor.

The neutral palate and semi-sweet and nutty character that's inherent in brown ales pairs really well with (dark spiced or aged) rum, bourbon, rye, and (Probably, I haven't tried it) aņejo tequila.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Finally had this year's Backwoods. While I still love it, there's way more barrel character than scotch ale base and it's very much a coconut and vanilla experience, with almost no malt presence.