Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

RHIN0002 posted:

I really enjoyed Guinness Black Lager so I assumed that Sam Adams' version wouldn't be half bad.

It was Sam that introduced me to black lager, and I keep looking for more varieties to try without going broke.

Speaking of Sam Adams, this video was on their FB wall today -- a "hidden camera" stunt where they pour hops out of baggies at bars and watch people flip out. It's relatively amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Valencia posted:

Apparently tomorrow's Tap Nite at my favorite bar is a Southern Tier takeover :dance: I know ST can be highly divisive/love-'em-or-hate-'em for lots of people, but I'm a fan

I discovered ST this past winter, when I fell in love with their Old Man Winter, which my local family restaurant had in bottles as a seasonal.

When Spring arrived and they started selling it on clearance for $2/bottle I was a pretty happy man.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
I've been drinking beer for about half my life, and every few years new horizons open up to me. After spending many years insisting IPAs were "not my thing" I find myself snatching them up this Spring for some reason. It is promising to me that tastes change; it means more things to experience even as death creeps closer (yay mortality!).

Anyway.

I'll be heading down for a family trip with a slew of non-drinkers to Florida in a few weeks. I'll be spending a couple days in Ocala and then a week on Sanibel Island, right off Fort Myers. I did some quick scanning and didn't see anything astounding to hit as far as brewpubs, and I probably won't be dragging my family on some big expedition to some exotic locale.

That said, any particular local brands to FL I should try to sample while I'm down there, if the opportunity arises?

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks, Bartolimu and Munkaboo. I will look into Cigar City and Funky Buddha in a few weeks and post my results :).

Tonight, perhaps a Harpoon Rye IPA.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Just got back from my annual family visit to FLA, and my first visit there as more of a beer nerd.

Memorable beers I tried for the first time:

Mojo IPA -- delicious, perfectly suited for the hot weather and my spicy food at this little Cuban place in Ocala. Wanted a second one but had family responsibilities that were incompatible with two 7.2% beers at dinner.

Cigar City Jai Alai IPA -- also very good, but a bit more of an alcohol flavor than I would have wanted. The flavor was perfect. Enjoyed a six-pack over the week.

Cigar City Florida Cracker White -- on tap, perfect example of this style.

Victory Helios -- not my taste. I could see why it was good, but it's not a flavor I enjoy.

Also went to a "craft beer tasting" at a grocery store on Sanibel Island which was not bad for what it was -- a chance to taste about a dozen beers and chat with a local distributor.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Just tried my first Bear Republic, the Hop Rod Rye, based on several people here praising it so highly.

My previous Rye IPA experiences were Ruthless Rye from Sierra Nevada, and the new Rye IPA from Harpoon, both of which I like (the Harpoon I can sit and drink all night; the Ruthless was a bit of an acquired taste and wears out my palate pretty quickly).

I'm still figuring out how to describe what I like and don't like -- but I definitely liked this. The Bear Republic Rye is much deeper and more complex than I expected it to be. I had assumed it would be more similar to the Sierra Nevada, which I really liked but was a frontal assault on the palate with the spicy rye and the intense hops. Instead, the malts stood out first, more sweet than I expected, and then the hops come in and reminded me it was an IPA. Masked the alcohol very well; I dislike boozy beers as a rule, and this one had nothing to fear on that front.

SnowDog fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 10, 2012

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
A tale of contrasts.

Friday, we got a babysitter, and went to one of our favorite restaurants. There, on tap, was a new beer I hadn't heard of -- a brewery (Tree House Brewing) that had opened recently a few miles down the road, distributing (for now) exclusively via this restaurant.

Had two glasses of their delicious "Dirty Water" (an "American Blonde Ale" that you could call a Pale Ale without offending anyone) with a great dinner. Immediately looked them up and decide I'll go check them out and taste what else they're brewing.

Saturday, go to a family birthday party, and neglect to bring any beer. "Can I get you a beer?" "Sure!" "Coors Light, Bud, or Bud Light?" Wow, so many choices! I kill a Coors Light in the hot sun and my mouth assumes it's some kind of weird-tasting seltzer. I nurse a Bud for a while during a long conversation. It gets warm and tastes awful but I am pretty impressed by the crown on the can pop-top. I am brought another Coors Light. I switch to soda.

And then my brother-in-law gave me a six-pack of his first home-brewed beer.

All's well that ends well.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Hey I'd like to talk about Schwarzbier for a bit.

Every once in a while I pick up a six-pack of Sam Adams Black Lager; it may just be my favorite of their brews. And, nothing says "tailgating in the fall" like Magic Hat "Howl," even if I've sworn off most of their other stuff.

My quest to find more Schwarzbier specimens has only been derailed because I fell in love with IPAs early this spring and can't seem to stop.

Come fall, I think it'll be back to Porters and Schwarzbiers 24/7.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Midorka posted:

I'm drinking Harpoon's Rye IPA now, apparently it was a limited beer they made year-round. ... Well worth $9 for a 6 pack if you ask me.

It's been my standard "need a cold six pack" beer this summer. Less brutal than the Ruthless Rye put out this Spring by Sierra Nevada, and much cheaper than Hop Rod Rye so I can enjoy two during an evening right out of the bottle without feeling like an uncultured rear end.

I'm interested in trying other rye beers. My local store has a handful of different rye IPAs on shelves but many of them are past their date, or are suspiciously dusty and have no date.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
All this discussion about excellent "big" craft beers competing with local craft beers is part of the reason why I keep putting off getting into home brewing. I feel like my "to try" list is steadily increasing as I learn more about beer, and there are tons of local breweries who I'd love to help keep alive by sampling their delicious products. It's hard to imagine making room for drinking my own, probably-not-that-good-at-first beer.

Anyway.

Stopped by my local giant liquor store yesterday to scratch an "unusual beer" itch, given I've been enjoying some good-but-readily-available brews of late. Walked out with three big bottles I haven't tried yet: Stone 10th Anniversary Ruination, Big Bear Black Stout, and Southern Tier Imperial Pumking.

I look forward to trying all three, even though I've been giving people poo poo over drinking Pumpkin beer already. See, I am using the excuse that I've never tried Pumking and I enjoy Southern Tier beers, not that I desperately wish it were autumn even though it's like six weeks away.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

bartolimu posted:

That Pumking is from last year and I have no idea how it ages.
Any way to be sure? Searches suggest people are talking about August 2012 Pumking, but it's possible it's been on the shelf since last year. I'll try it on a cooler evening and see what I think. Right now Stone is ruinationing my palate and I gotta go eat something so I can finish this beast :).

Thanks for the info on the other beers, too.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

americanzero4128 posted:

I hadn't tried any sort of smoked porter before, but this tasted like I was getting a big mouthful of ash and burnt fish.
I haven't tried theirs, but I was blown away by Stone's Smoked Porter. Haven't tried their various flavor offshoots, but the base smoked porter was one of the best porters I've had, and the smoke was a side-effect, not the main flavor (unlike, say, Sam Adams Bonfire Rauchbier, which was like "Here, have a beer that tastes like a campfire" ... a novelty but nothing I'd go back to over and over).

Given how many of Stone's beers have really aggressive flavor profiles, I was pleasantly surprised.

In fact, I think I'll buy one for this weekend....

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

bartolimu posted:

Big Bear doesn't stand up to Speedway or Serpent Stout, but it's a very good beer from a great brewery.

Tonight, I enjoyed the Big Bear Black Stout.

I wasn't blown away at first, but the more it warmed up, the more the flavors came into balance. At the end of the bottle, I was wishing I had 12 more ounces.

I have this weird thing with higher ABV beers. There's some point where the alcohol flavor comes through more than I want it to, and that point seems to hover around 10% or so, depending on the rest of the flavor.

On the other hand, a really excellent 8% beer is a thing of beauty.

It gets in the way of my enjoying some of the better stouts and IPAs out there. Torpedo? Love it! Hoptimum? I'm wincing halfway through it.

So, the usual "imperial stout"? I nurse it, wishing I could enjoy it as much as others do. But this 8% "big" stout? Oh, man, good stuff.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
All this talk about Southern Tier reminds me that once we finish Fall, we get to enjoy the Winter brews, and I can't get enough of Southern Tier's Old Man Winter. But, let's get to fall first. Gotta try and find some more Octoberfest brews. I can't say no to Sam Adams October when it's on tap, but I need to branch out and find some other ones in bottles (someone mentioned Berkshire -- they are impressing me more and more with each beer of theirs I try. I'll be looking...)

I was on vacation this past week up in Maine, and ended up at a little shop with a few hundred brews on the shelves, all available as singles. I was only there two nights, otherwise I would have had trouble stopping.

Tried Peak Organic's Fall Summit Ale, and loved it. I'll be buying a six of this ASAP. For a fall ale, it had a really strong hop taste, and something about the way the flavors came together really hit me in a good place. I wish I knew enough about my palate to explain why, but this one stuck with me for days afterward.

Also tried Atlantic Brewing Company's Coal Porter. Very rich porter, no complaints, but nothing about it stuck with me. Perfectly fine for what it was, but I'm not rushing to buy more.

Last but not least, Harpoon's 100 Barrel Series White IPA. Delicious -- everything I like about two great beer styles. An awesome way to say goodbye to summer. I'm glad I got to try this while it was out.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Midorka posted:

Edit: Back on Southern Tier, I love their Harvest Ale. I know it's not a harvest ale like you guys are talking about above, but I love it.

Just found some of this, and opened a bottle tonight. Loving it.

Between this and Peak's Summit Ale, plenty of hoppy fall beers to complement all the silly Oktoberfests I can't stop buying.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Went to the Big E this weekend. Huge regional fair in New England. My ideal time to spend at a fair is, say, an hour. We were there for six, so, you know, I had to start looking for beer.

I was impressed by what I found. I mean, you expect the usual Bud Lite / Shock Top offerings, and since this is Massachusetts you know there will be Sam Adams. But one of the local restaurants was serving two different Berkshire Brewing Company beers on tap, and another was serving Sierra Nevada's Fall Tumbler. Then I found the Opa-Opa tent -- a small regional brewery/brewpub that's doing very well for itself. They were showing the Pats game, but I think they would have been doing brisk business without it. It seemed I couldn't walk for a few minutes without seeing someone drinking out of one of their cups.

They also had a "Craft Beers of New England" tent, but I think they just had Magic Hat #9, Sam Adams Lager + Octoberfest, and Harpoon IPA. Maybe one other, I forget.

The real treat was hidden in the Vermont building -- Long Trail / Otter Creek / Wollaver had a stand set up with 8 taps. I was craving something dark, so I tried their Black IPA. Good stuff.

Turns out there were a couple beer gardens hiding in their too. But my paths didn't cross them. I suspect my wife may have had advance warning....

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Midorka posted:

The spice from the rye goes really well with the piney hop finish and there's a nice citrus hop bitterness before it that leads nicely into the finish.

That's a lot of fancy words for a simple guy like me, but, yeah, I dig their Rye IPA quite a bit. I drank more than my share of it this summer.

I remember liking their UFO White as well but it's been a long time, and I liked their White IPA from the 100 barrel series. I'll also order their IPA on tap somewhere if it's a choice between that and Sam Adams Boston Lager for the only craft beer.

In general, though, I tend to just think of them as an alternative to Sam Adams, with all the good and bad that implies.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Hit up the store this afternoon, hoping to see what was new (Celebration? No such luck). Quite happy with my haul:

Jack's Abby Smoke & Dagger -- just won a bronze at GABF. Never tried it, but sounds right up my alley.

Mayflower Thanksgiving Ale -- saw some good reviews, decided to give it a shot. If I enjoy it, may buy some more to serve Thanksgiving guests (only 3 of us drink beer).

Sierra Nevada Estate Ale, just wanted to try it.

Southern Tier Old Man Winter, one of my favorites from last winter, and looking forward to enjoying it again this year.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Ok, tried some of these...

SnowDog posted:

Hit up the store this afternoon, hoping to see what was new (Celebration? No such luck). Quite happy with my haul:

Jack's Abby Smoke & Dagger was tasty! Couldn't find any fault with it, and will enjoy it again. I think it suffered a bit from being a couple hours after I finished...

Sierra Nevada Estate Ale kind of blew me away. I don't know how much of it was just in my head, but I really enjoyed drinking this. I couldn't drink it every day, or even every week, but it was an experience.

Southern Tier Old Man Winter ... I had one last night, and it disappointed me. Now, I probably drank a dozen of these last winter, one or two per seating, at a local restaurant who was offering it as a seasonal. Always with food. Last night, just on its own, there was some weird flavor, aftertaste or something. I wish my palate was sophisticated enough for me to be more specific. Something just didn't taste "right." Anyway, will try it again later this week, maybe with some food.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

In Worcester, Mass this week and was able to make a trip to the "Wine Nation"
All this time I thought they only had wine! I'll have to check them out, see how the selection compares to Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge, my go-to spot.

Today I attempted to "stock up" for Thanksgiving. We have a total of 3 beer drinkers coming on Turkey day, and that includes me, so I don't need much.

Grabbed a 4-pack of Jack's Abby Octoberfest, and refillable bottles (bombers, I guess, not really growlers) from a tiny brewery (Treehouse) down the road of their porter (Snowtober) and their milk stout (That's What She Said). The stout is fantastic and I'm secretly hoping none of my guests want any.

I'll try to keep my hands off this stuff until Thursday.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

but I'm in Providence, and the only non-macro beers in stores around here are usually just Harpoon or Naragansett (local lager).

I know RI is small, but Providence is, like, a legit city, last I checked. Google searching "craft beer providence RI" brings up plenty of results. I randomly clicked on "Bottles" and not only do they have what looks like a decent selection, but they have tastings, which is an awesome way to get to try different styles.

In any case, around this area (I'm in Central MA) you should be able to find plenty of places selling Sam Adams, Harpoon, and Long Trail -- and between those you can try a ton of different styles without paying a ton of dough.

I mean, I'm on a bit of an anti-Sam Adams kick of late, just because there's so much else out there to buy, but you could do much worse for a tour of styles than just to grab a different 6-pack of their beer every month.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
re: Jack's Abby

TenaciousTomato posted:

After this you need to try their Oktoberfest and Hoponius Union. So. loving. good.

Ok, their Oktoberfest (Copper Legend) was a big hit at my Thanksgiving dinner. Glad I have a couple left in the fridge for the weekend.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

swickles posted:

Anyone have any other Tampa area suggestions on places for beer or food?

Every time we're in Tampa, we try to make it to Tarpon Springs, the Greek sponge-fishing community a bit outside town. If you make it out there, you could do worse for food than Mykonos. It was recommended to us by my wife's at-the-time boss, who was from Greece and knew the owners. We've been faithful customers ever since -- though we get out that way only once every year or two.

This non-beer derail is sponsored by awesome Greek food.

On the beer front, I think I've leveled up in some way in my beer drinking. Even though I have beer in my fridge, I'm feeling inadequate because it's all beer I've had before, i.e. there are no new taste experiences waiting in my beer bottles. I feel the need to fix this.

I'm considering asking for a small fridge for the basement, for Christmas (to put, duh, beer in). My wife doesn't give me too much poo poo about my beer obsession but I'm guessing if I start keeping a whole secondary fridge stocked she might change her tune.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Christmas shopping, exhausted, oh look, it's that wine store that someone posted had a beer selection, you go ahead honey, I'm gonna pop in here.

Decent selection -- got myself a "Pick Six" of beers I've never had:
- Green Flash Hop Head Red
- Otter Creek Winter Red
- Wolaver Oatmeal Stout
- Left Hand Fade to Black
- Great Divide Hoss (Rye Lager)
- Bear Republic Racer 5

That plus the "new to me" beers in my fridge:
- Sierra Nevada Celebration
- Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest
- Berkshire Brewing Company Holidale

And I should be good to go for a couple days at least :). I hardly know where to start.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
While Winter truly kicks in, it's time for me to seek out more malty rich dark beers.

I don't often like 10% ABV or higher beers; I find boozy flavors kind of distracting in my beer. On the other hand, I am finding I really enjoy a few beers that are known as American Strong Ale, Old Ale, Altbier, etc., that have a higher ABV. I'm trying to seek out new excellent examples, while avoiding boozy flavors.

(And, I'm willing to extend my horizons here -- tastes change and I might find I've modified my taste buds)

There's a delicate balance to walk here, and I come to you guys for help picking candidates to seek out. I'm in MA, if that matters, for local stuff.

Examples of what I've tried and loved:
- Mayflower Thanksgiving Ale (American Strong Ale, 8%)
- Southern Tier Old Man Winter (Winter/Old, 7.7%)
- Ipswich 21st Anniversary Imperial Dark Ale (American Strong, 8%)
- Long Trail Double Bag (Altbier, 7.2%)

Stuff that didn't really do it for me (having trouble remembering examples) :
- Berkshire Brewing Holidale Barleywine
- Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog
- Allagash Black (I could tell it was really good, but also not what I was looking for)

My to-try list includes:
- Lukcy Basartd, Arrogant Bastard

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Over the holiday I had one of the best beers I've ever consumed -- a Citra-heavy IPA (Julius) from a local place called Tree House Brewing (Brimfield MA). I've mentioned them once before in this thread but I swear I'm not a shill, just a fan. They are seriously small right now, only handing out beer a few hours a week plus one draft account, but they are upgrading production now and if they keep this up I think they will soon be A Thing.

Anyway if you find yourself able to give them a try, do so. I mean, every beer of theirs I've had has been good, but Julius was on a different level, and I can see why it's become their flagship beer.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
I've been using untappd for about 8 months now. During that time I've checked in to 110 unique beers.

I have yet to have the courage to mention that number to anyone who isn't also a beer nut.

I mainly lurk in this thread, have only been involved in a couple minor conversations here, but all your recommendations and honest good beer chat has really made this a fun hobby over the past 8 months. So, yeah, thanks for that.

Here's to many new awesome beers in 2013!

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Have I shilled for Jack's Abby recently? Because, drat, Jack's Abby is good stuff.

They are MA-only right now, and focused solely on lagers, not ales. Someone here sent me in the direction of their Octoberfest last fall, and it was outstanding. I just picked up a four-pack of their IPL (Hoponius Union) which was bottled a week before I bought it, and goddamn is that some good stuff.

I also love their RIPL Effect (Rye India Pale Lager) but the last bottle of it I got, from four months back, had some off flavors that I don't know enough about chemistry to identify. Or maybe my glass was just dirty or something. I'll buy it again but I'll try to find it fresher than that.

Here's an article in a local paper about them: http://thephoenix.com/Boston/food/150217-beeradvocate-jacks-abby-gets-larger/

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Nice blog post on local small town brewery finding next level of success and upping their brewing capacity 15x.

quote:

Since we received the Brew Magic, 13 months ago, we brewed 218 batches of beer. This amounts to roughly 70bbls. . . ten measly gallons at a time. Some of this was sold at retail, some of it was tested by friends prior to the retail opening, and some of it - 0.009% - went down the drain. It took roughly 6104 pounds of malted barley to make it happen and 109 pounds of hops. We collectively spent 7,000 hours in 2012 building Tree House, and that includes just the founders - not the generosity of our friends and loved ones.
And now, with a fully operational 5bbl brew house, we’ll do all of the above - constituting 70bbls - in five to six weeks.

drat.

I hope they continue to do well. I'd like for more people to be able to enjoy their brews :).

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Got to taste a bit of history today with (Sam Adam's) New Albion Ale. Love the retro packaging and everything -- I poured out a pint and enjoyed it with a bowl of chili (this is GWS, right? Let's argue over my chili recipe later).

My first thought was that I was drinking a mass market lager, but done better. I know that sounds weird, but that's what I thought. It's been a while since I had a pilsner but that's what it reminded me of.

Anyway, enjoyable as a throwback to a different time, and I think it's awesome that the profits are going to the original brewer. Cool.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
So, I keep talking about beer at work, and eventually a few other people start, and I've found enough beer fans to organize a bottle swap at the office. Go me.

Keeping it simple to start -- everyone brings a six pack, everyone brings home six beers.

Just gotta decide what to bring...

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Picked up a bottle of Boulevard's Grainstorm today at my local store. I hope it's good -- Boulevard in general does not disappoint, and this has two my favorite IPA keywords in "black" and "rye".

It's chilling now, we'll see....

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

SnowDog posted:

Picked up a bottle of Boulevard's Grainstorm today at my local store. I hope it's good

Oh, it is. Gonna be looking to pick up another bottle of this one. It all works together really well.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
We had the "bottle swap" at our work that I got organized, on Friday. We had seven people sign up, and six came, so each person brought a six pack and took home one of each (including their own).

The beers represented were three I'd had before (Peak Organic Hop Noir and two instances of DFH 60 Minute), Stone Levitation Pale Ale, and Blue Hills Brewery Black Hops. I had the Levitation today, and I thought it was great, considering the low ABV.

And then of course this weekend I had to drop someone off right next door to the package store, so I picked up a six pack of Nugget Nectar and another 750ml bottle of Grainstorm. I've never had the Nugget Nectar before but they had just gotten some in and everybody on Facebook seemed excited, so I figured I'd see what the fuss was about.... And then I caught this nasty cold and haven't been drinking any of this great beer I've got. More for later I guess!

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

TenaciousTomato posted:

Have any Mass. goons tried Wormtown's Be Hoppy?

Just had it the other night -- was pleasantly surprised as the last Wormtown brew I tried was nothing special to me (Cougar Blonde Ale).

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
It should be getting springier, but a big storm just dumped a foot and a half of snow on us. So I raided the liquor store in search of stouts and other dark beers.

Ended up with a Berkshire Brewing Russian Imperial Stout, some Cadillac Mountain Stout, and Lost Abby's Cascadian Schwarzbier. Grabbed a six of Peak Organic Spring Simcoe to balance it out.

Enjoying the Berkshire RIS right now. So smooth.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Tonight I had a treat -- Jack's Abby Barrel-Aged Framinghammer Baltic Porter.

As far as I remember, this is my first barrel-aged beer. Also my first baltic porter. As someone who has a love/hate relationship with imperial stouts, this was a risky experiment, but it came up Aces.

Highly recommend for MA folks.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

cryme posted:

my mom brought me a mixed case of jack's abby + 2 barrel-aged framinghammers. My mom is the best.

Jack's Abby is a great brewery and your mom is a great mom.

Last night I picked up some new brews -- a single Jack's Abby "The ABCS" (double IPL, Apollo, Bravo, Calypso, and Simcoe hops), a four-pack of Jack's Abby Private Eye (Rye Bière de Garde and yes I copied and pasted that), a single of Stone Espresso IRS, a single of Firestone Walker Wookey Jack, and a six of Smuttynose Noonan Black IPA.

Tried the Private Rye last night. Good stuff, but not going to be a new favorite or anything.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Hutzpah posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a good 6-pack session beer available in the New Jersey area?

Founders All Day IPA is my new summer obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

agreed. i have a few stemmed glasses for fancy sippin' beers, some quasi-weizen glasses so i don't have to take ten minutes to pour a hefe, and nonic pints for everything else.

That's basically what it boils down to for me, too. I bought a collection of glasses for different styles but I just use 3 of them, the 3 described above.

The other aspect of this is that drinking doesn't just have to be about taste and smell; the rituals associated with it can lend to the enjoyment of a beer as well. Making time to open the bottle, pour it out, admire it, smell it ... sure, maybe not every time, but sometimes, it's nice. Kind of like a fancy steak dinner; the presentation doesn't add to the flavor, but it adds to your perception of the experience, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm always childishly happy when I'm out, and my beer is served in the glass the brewer intends it to be served in, even if it's way more work than I would ever do.

EDIT: Nice glassware :). I have a big-rear end glass stein hiding somewhere; my dad gave it to me when I was a baby, because my dad didn't have poo poo else to give me for my birthday, and he was serving in the army in Germany. That means it's been used for storing pennies and who knows what else for nearly forty years now. I'd probably die if I drank from it.

SnowDog fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 2, 2013