Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Yesterday at DeGarde was super duper fun! Glad I finally got to put some faces to names, and I have to agree... Beer goons are best goons.

Can't wait to try this DeGarde anniversary beer! I have a friend who went back to the brewery today and said there was a 50 person line at 11. Beer nerds don't gently caress around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Well... I guess it's about time I start to write about my trip to OR.

I'll start off with Bend, OR, home of the wonderful SUPER HASSLER. I started my trip off by flying to Portland, hopping in a car, and driving 3 hours to Bend. By the end of the drive, I was exhausted from traveling all day, but I ended up meeting up with SUPER HASSLER for a few beers. We started off at Crows Feet Commons, which was a lovely coffee shop/bike shop/beer bar. They had a great draft selection, and the following morning I enjoyed a great cup of coffee and ocean roll when I stopped by. We ended up going to another spot (I can't remember the name) afterwards which had a pretty awesome tap list... which ended up being a theme in OR. If you stop by a hole in the wall bar, there's a great chance half the taps (or more) will be craft. SUPER HASSLER is an awesome guy, and was extremely informative about the history of beer in Bend. If any of you have the chance, I encourage you to share a pint with him!

After the first night, I sorta did my own thing in Bend. Here's a brief rundown of what I thought:

Crux: Really cool spot with some good beers. I couldn't believe how crowded this place was on a random Thursday for lunch. They had good food, and the bartender that waited on me was super helpful, and he hooked me up with quite a few free samples (always a plus!). My favorite beer that I tried from Crux was their Tough Love, an Imperial Stout aged in bourbon barrels.

Deschutes: I just went to the public house in downtown Bend, but it was a super cool spot. They had a few beers which were pub exclusive, and their food was absolutely stellar. None of their pub beers blew me away, but they were all well crafted and pretty solid overall. I'm also kind of obsessed with chicken wings, and they really hit it out of the ballpark with theirs. The chicken wings I had were in a spicy thai peanut sauce, and they were phenomenal. 5/5, would order again.

Boneyard: As I had read before even going to Bend, Boneyard doesn't really have a tasting room that you can stop by. It's basically a tiny retail area inside a mechanics office attached to an old garage. They do offer a flight, and I am glad I was able to stop by, because I was able to try their red ales which I didn't really see on draft anywhere else. I also got to try Notorious, which is probably the best Triple IPA I've ever had. I typically don't like Triple IPAs because they're often too abrasive and bitter, but Notorious was honestly amazing. Bitter without being too bitter, and oh my god the aroma... Overall, a tiny cool spot, and it seems to be run by some pretty cool dudes.

Bend Brewing Company: This place makes really clean, well crafted beers. Nothing was mind blowing, but I didn't taste anything with flaws either. Everything was crafted according to style, and I'm always a fan of that. The one beer that was super duper incredibly good from them was Ching Ching, their pomegranate hibiscus berliner weisse. I bought more bottles of that than anything else while in OR, because it was only $8/bomber, and holy crap is it delicious.

Broken Top Bottle Shop: A really great bottle shop, with a very nice selection, and a really stellar draft list. I ended up stopping by on May 1st, and they were holding an event "April Showers Brings May Sours", which was awesome! They had beers on draft from Almanac, Bruery, Logsdon, Russian River, and more. I got to try Peche n' Brett on draft, and Pliny The Elder. Both were fantastic, as always. This place also has some really good chicken wings, they were smoked, and they were cooked just right!

I'll write up more about my trip when I have some time, but I've been pretty crazy busy since getting back into town. Overall, it is one of the best vacations I've had in recent memory, and it was made even more awesome by the fact I got to spend one evening with a whole bunch of super duper awesome goons! We have a really great group of people in our little beer community here, meeting so many of you in person was a real treat.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

air- posted:

More incentive for me to just move there...

No joke! This is a bummer, but it isn't exactly unexpected. Now that I'll have to put more effort into getting their stuff... I guess I might as well move out there too!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I tried Julius by Tree House last night, and holy cow is that stuff delicious. It was so juicy and tropical, one of the better IPAs I've had recently. Between Tree House and Trillium, Massachusetts has been killing the hops game.

I'm hoping to win some FoFA tickets this year. The tap list is already looking insane, with only 4 beers announced so far.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 17, 2015

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
DeGarde is bringing out a special beer to Portland today for any of you PDX goons who want to go check it out. Seems like they'll be at the Tin Bucket sometime tonight. The beer in question sounds pretty tasty, too.

"The Duo:
A blend of two second use Gin barrels from our Lambic inspired program, these were aged for 18 and 24 months before naturally conditioning for an extended time in bottles. Big Brettanomyces character, subtle botanical notes, mellow oak and a brite acidity. Delicious!
Only about 350 bottles were made, so enjoy while you can!"

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

a worthy uhh posted:

have some fun in life maybe

But, but, but... I hate fun!

J Wakefield OG Membership is finally coming to fruition, hoping I'm able to land 3 bottles of DFPF.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Josh Wow posted:

Had a 2011 Cantillon Lou Pepe that was skunked (green bottles, why?)

In related news I'm putting in my notice at Sierra tomorrow, I start working at Wicked Weed in 3 weeks. I know several people in this thread have reported inconsistent/flawed bottles from them so maybe I can figure that out and fix it.

I've drank quite a bit of Cantillon, and have yet to have a skunked bottle. They use aged hops, so from what I understand, it's less likely to skunk, because the alpha acids aren't really high enough. I know it's still possible for them to skunk, but really surprised to hear a Lou Pepe was skunked. I'd think it would be much more common for bottles of Iris or Cuvee St Gilloise to skunk, since they're dry hopped.

Congrats on the job! I need to make it out to Asheville already, I heard you guys have a pretty alright beer scene ;)

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Munkaboo posted:

Ah god damnit, I can only go to one. Which one would you all go to?

I would go to the Sunshine state event any day of the week, over the WW event. I've been rather unimpressed with most of WW's offerings, whereas I think Cigar City and Funky Buddha both consistently put out incredibly good beer.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

air- posted:

Opened de Garde The Anniversary, which was incredible. Could've fooled me into thinking it's real lambic. Very strong Belgian funk aroma that's more pronounced than Beatification.

Do you think this is worth sitting on? It's the only beer that I got from the anniversary party that I'm considering sitting on for a few years. A couple people mentioned it tasted kinda young, so I figured it couldn't hurt...

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

proof of concept posted:

What brand of beer salt would you recommend? Is this stuff any good? What would you pair your salt with?

I like to add beer salt to my gose's, because I don't find them to be salty enough. Let me tell you, lime beer salt is absolutely divine in a blood orange gose.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Have you tried the CS Sour Grapefruit Radler? It sounds incredibly good, I really want to try some.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I only just ran into Not Your Father's Root Beer last January at the Cleveland beer fest and it's now getting near-national distribution. It's also got an eye-popping 96 score on BA right now, which I guess shows that novelty can get you everywhere there because I'd say 8 ounces of that is about my lifetime limit.

This stuff is so popular in OH that it's almost impossible for retailers to keep it on the shelf. I personally think it's pretty gross, but to each their own.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 8, 2015

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Re: drinking beers in 95 degree heat
Pretty much echoing the gose/berliner weisse sentiments, Destihl's Wild Sour series are drat solid IMO. In particular Here Gose Nothin' and the Lynnbrook Raspberry Berliner are 5% or less, come in cans, and very refreshing on a humid Midwestern afternoon.

The last batch of Destihl's Here Gose Nothing we got into my work smelled like bile. We took them off the shelf, and sent them back. Grossss

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Hauki posted:

it's good

i'm halfway tempted to drive up there this afternoon but :effort:

If you or any other CO feel like trading CS stuff, I'd love to get my hands on some of that.

danbanana posted:

I don't know if you get the 500 ml bottle releases where you're at, but even those have had reports of seriously hosed up poo poo going on. Which sucks even more because some of those run $15 a botttle....

Oh god... I bought 3 of those right when they were released in OH, and they were close to $20/bottle. Never again! Not a single one was worth the price, and while they didn't have off flavors, they were just outright not very good

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 8, 2015

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

MunchE posted:

I randomly saw Bodhi on draft in San Diego recently and tried it, pretty solid IPA (I untappd it a 4/5) but not mind blowing. Maybe I'm just being a west coast IPA snob but it definitely doesn't stand out in the field here. I had King Sue recently and I'd say the same about that...does OH not get good IPAs from other places?

I think it all depends on how fresh stuff is. I've thought the same about a ton of west coast IPAs that get a lot of hype. OH gets plenty of good IPAs... I mean we're not VT or anything, but we have a pretty nice selection.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

MunchE posted:

What would you say are some of your standout IPAs? I'm honestly curious what IPAs stand out from that perspective. I had the Bodhi in a keg at a bar I really trust so I imagine it was pretty dang fresh.

Fat Head's Head Hunter and Hop JuJu are both among my favorites, as well as Brew Kettle's White Rajah and El Lupolo Libre. JAFB in Wooster, OH has also been putting out some really good IPAs, although they don't get talked about much.

Bodhi does seem to have more batch variation than most beers, so it's hard to say what it was. The Columbus Thunderlips that someone mentioned is a super awesome beer they made, but it also seemed to have quite a bit of variation. I tried it in Columbus the week it first debuted, and thought it was above average, I rated it a 4 on Untappd. Two weeks later we got a keg of it at my work, and I thought it was one of the better IPAs I'd tried recently, and gave it a 4.75.

I think that the east coast is cranking out the best IPAs in the world right now, but we don't have it too bad in OH.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 13, 2015

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Compusaurus posted:

Eric's ale tastes like a broke rear end version of Le Terroir. It's certainly not bad but I would have preferred another release of that over this. The other thing that irks me, and I know it's been brought up before, but it's $9 a bomber in CO and $15 in Chicago. That's dumb. Luckily maproom has it on tap for $6/12oz. Which is still cheaper than buying a drat bottle.

Want to hear a terrible joke?

Eric's Ale, La Folie, and Le Terroir are all $20 bombers in OH. :smith:

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Vertigo posted:

or save that for my friend's constant VT runs.... or use it for gas to get to Boston and back in a day....

<brueryhater> This seems like the right answer to me. </brueryhater>

I actually enjoy most of their beer, but it always blows my mind how much people spend being reserve/hoarder members. Personally, I'd much rather spend my money elsewhere.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

air- posted:

The list is pretty short :yayclod: Mackenzie, Upright, Logsdons, just to think off the top of my head real fast

DeGarde? Their chard and pinot collabs with Side Project were pretty out of this world.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I wish I wasn't such a sucker.

I am completely against the price hike, and bottle format change of BCS... but I still bought 2 rares for $60 each.

Oh well, at least they're good trade bait.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I just had the new Peche 'n Brett paired with a steak-frites dinner made by Mrs. Logsdon!

(She is Flemish, which I suppose comes as no surprise)

So I guess Dave and his wife are still pretty hands-on with the brewery, even after the sale?

Hood River was absolutely beautiful when I visited this past spring! I only had the chance to visit Double Mountain, and Pfriem, because Logsdon's tasting room still wasn't open. Pfriem is one of the breweries I had never heard of before visiting, and they make some absolutely killer stuff. OR really is one of the best beer states around, if not the best. Can't wait to make it back soon!

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 5, 2015

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
This is definitely quite a bit off topic, but has anyone ever had a box sit at a FedEx location for 24+ hours and still ship successfully? I shipped a few boxes Tuesday night, and they arrived at the shipment hub or whatever you'd call it, and two of them sat there all Wednesday. I shipped three packages at once, two going to OR, one to CO, and the CO box has left the location, while the two OR boxes are still sitting there.

I'm a bit paranoid, as I've lost my receipt for the boxes, and both the OR boxes contain some really good beers which I can't easily replace.

In actual beer talk: Xocoveza is drat good, and I'm glad it's widely distributed (again), but I still don't think it's quite as good as Mexican Cake/Abraxas/Hunahpu(my personal favorite of the bunch). It would be awesome if a brewery made a mexican chocolate style beer year round... but I don't see that happening anytime soon, because of the inherent cost/time to produce a beer like that.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

air- posted:

Prairie Bomb?

Is Prairie Bomb actually year round? I guess I'm a bit out of the loop on that one because of the 12% abv cap in OH :(

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Vertigo posted:

Casey Dry Hopped Oak Theory - So good. I'm lucky to have met some of the friends I have who bring over random poo poo like this so we can try it. I normally find Oaked Saisons to be a little .... "dry" but not a dry wine way... like a "tastes like wood" way. This was not that way at all.

Oak Theory is one of the most Cantillon-like things I've tasted that is made in America. Tastes like Troy made that beer with Cantillon dregs. Definitely one of the better American Wilds I've ever had. I really want to try some of "The Cut" stuff he makes, which from what I understand, is just a fruited Oak Theory.

This Christmas I've got a pretty wicked sinus infection, so I'm not drinking any beer, because it would be a waste with how little I can smell/taste right now. I may drink a beer later, simply so I can get the xmas badge on Untappd :parrot:

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

a worthy uhh posted:

Are any of you guys close enough to Brothers Brewing that you'd be cool to trustee for me? I have a trustee currently but he does it for like a dozen+ people and I know it's going to be more of a pain to have him fill my growler or anything like that more often than last year's boxes every few months.

Speaking of brewery memberships, with J Wakefield announcing that he's not doing any membership for 2016... are there any brewery clubs worth joining? I was a member of three at one point, and two of them canceled their memberships (de Garde & JWB), and the 3rd (Night Shift) I decided to not rejoin.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

deadwing posted:

citrusinesis is bad this year, grab literally any lagunitas IPA off the shelf next to it instead

Definitely agree. The batch this year is a shell of its former self... it was super good last year, and pretty 'meh' this year.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I'm going on a beer trip in two weeks. First night I'll be staying in Harrisburg, PA, and I plan on visiting Troegs, as well as Pizza Boy. On my second night I'll be in Boston, and I plan on hitting up Trillium, as well as Night Shift while I'm in town. The next day I plan on waking up early and going to Tree House. I'll then be spending three nights in VT, where I'll go to all the obvious spots. Gonna finish my vacation in Philly where I'll be going to Tired Hands for their fourth anniversary.

Anybody who would like to meet up for a pint with me while I'm on my trip is more than welcome. I'd love to hang out with some of you again, or meet some new faces!

Oh yeah... dates. I'm going to be in Harrisburg on Memorial Day, May 30th. I'll be in Boston May 31st. Vermont will be June 1st-3rd, and Philly will be June 4th, and 5th.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 19, 2016

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

danbanana posted:

Love Child 3 is surprisingly good right now. It's a little too acedic, and has that mild stomach acid thing in the back of your throat, but there's a brett fruitiness. And it's very drinkable, one of those beers that makes you take another sip. It's not great but much better than I expected.

If anybody has one of these left, I'd be glad to trade a 750ml Cantillon Classic Gueuze for one :D

I guess that should go in another thread... anyhoo.

Troegs Nimble Giant is really good. Like, really, really good. I actually can't believe how good it is. NE Style IPA that's widely distributed? That's okay with me. My only problem? Costs more than Heady Topper/4 pack. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 3, 2016

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

bartolimu posted:

A few years ago someone (Funky Buddha?) brought a cucumber/gin berliner to EBF and it was one of the best things at the fest.

Jackie O's had a Cucumber ginger Berliner at last year's EBF, I remember you posting about it.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

danbanana posted:

Unrelated question: how much does KBBS razzle for?

I saw a bottle of '13 recently sell for $3800. No razzle. No charity. Offered as an ISO.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
What's up with these Northeast Style IPAs that burn?

I just had a can of Bearded Iris Chief of Chiefs and it burned my throat like no other.

Also, a friend brought me a bottle of Pliny and that stuff is still awesome.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

dphi posted:

I know when I'm checking out a place I haven't been before but am really stoked about, the last thing I'm gonna do is look up their hours

This is something I don't understand. I constantly have people calling my store asking what time we're open until. How did you get our phone number? Oh, google? Well, if you looked right next to where it has our number, it also states our hours every single day of the week.

In beer news, I won tickets to FoFA for the first time. Super excited to be going, but planning everything to include a DD to a festival in the middle of nowhere is a bit weird. I wish Uber was everywhere.

Oh yeah, I also went to the Appervation release this past week and it was pretty crazy. Jackie O's sold 6000 bottles in about 3 hours, definitely the busiest they've ever been. They had Derivation 6 on tap and it was pretty awesome. Definitely lives up to the hype - although I still don't understand why there's dudes who drop $1000/bottle on adjunct stouts.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Some guy just basically dragged me into a conversation he was having where he was explaining how the Andall crowlers are a hilarious ripoff on the secondary market and how brilliant the RVA people are for monetizing other people's stupidity. Of course I agreed with him, even though they are delicious.

I can't believe more people haven't ripped off him. Completely genius idea. The beers are delicious too, imo. I'd really like to rip off him and start something up, but the beer climate is weird.

Some people get butt hurt because they don't taste like beer, but who gives a gently caress? Chill out and enjoy some adult beverages, who cares if they call it beer.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 29, 2017