Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

LimburgLimbo posted:

You can argue this is a problem but it’s also the case almost everywhere in the world.

Absolutely, but seeing as how this is the Taiwan thread, I figured it was relevant to talk about it in the context of Taiwan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The drivers may not speak English, but if you've ever used taxis in Asia, they're probably the best outside of Japan. They're never going to refuse a fare and if you can't communicate, 90% of the time they'll whip out a cell phone and call the local taxi hotline to get an English translator for you to speak to. I've had to put up with some absolute nonsense from taxi drivers in Bangkok and Taiwan is always a breath of fresh air while I'm visiting.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ntan1 posted:

Taiwanese Taxi drivers will refuse a fare if they are actually not intending to work for the day, or if you're asking for something legitimately too long for their work hours - ie they expect to work for the next 3 hours and you ask them to take you somewhere and stay there for a total of 6-7.

They will cut corners when necessary in a culturally Chinese way, but wont really put you in danger.

They tend to be very honest.

None of that sounds unreasonable to me and I'm comparing it to the bullshit I have to put up with in Bangkok.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The power plant divide is so loving frustrating because you want to support the DPP on basically everything else but that is so dumb.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Honestly this is probably the easiest age at which to travel since really all they do is sleep, poop, and eat, mostly at the same time. Baby isn't going to care of they're in America, a hotel, or an airplane. The hardest part is making sure you'll be able to get diapers and formula to the quarantine hotel.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The LINE group was suggesting Jeremy Lin may not be the most relevant thread title these days, so maybe we should try and come up with a new one?

I suggest "Taiwan #1" as a classic default.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Taiwan Megathread 2.0: Comes for the bubble tea, stay for the Chinese invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Going between Simplified and Traditional can be frustrating at first because one of the things that some simplified characters did is to take homophones and give them all the same character, which means you'll have to figure out which word uses the character most similar to the one you're familiar with already and which words use similar characters but with the addition or change of a radical. There are some consistencies you can look for as well, with certain radicals being reduced in stroke count in the same way across multiple characters, though this isn't always true.

My go-to recommendation for Traditional is still to grab the Heisig "Remembering the Hanzi" series for Traditional characters. It alongside whatever resources you already have, or alongside the Simplified version of the same, would probably be a good point of reference for how Traditional radicals change form depending on which zone* of a character they occupy.

You'll likely find that Traditional characters are surprisingly easy to read once you start becoming familiar with them as they have a more robust 'etymology' present, often with a radical indicating something about pronunciation and a radical indicating something about meaning.

*I'm not sure if there's a more specific term for this, but like how radicals can be written on top, to the left, inside, under, etc a root radical/character.