Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!
How long have you been working there and what was your starting pay? I'm always wondering what a reasonable raise is here (if a raise is something I can get at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Are you guys eating spicy food and drinking beer tonight? I want to do that, too.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

My boss informed me that I have no classes to teach this summer! So, if anybody is looking for a substitute teachers from now until July 18, I am available at any time, anywhere in Taipei.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

I am off to travel in Sri Lanka for five weeks, so my spacious bedroom in central Taipei is available to sublet from July 18 to August 25.

* Next to Technology Building MRT Station
* Just down the street from Shida (NTNU, MTU)
* Near a bazillion restaurants and other cool places

The Room:
* Spacious bedroom with a large bed (and clean, new sheets!)
* Private bathroom (Wow!)
* Air conditioner
* Desk and closet space

The Apartment:
* Wireless internet
* Large, fully furnished living room
* Full kitchen, microwave, fridge
* Washing machine
* Two very nice, very quiet room mates

Money:
* NT$11,000 (Approximately USD$370, AUD$360, GPB£235)
* You can leave before August 25th, but you have to pay me and get the keys on or before July 18, because I will leave the country the following morning.

* Chris
* ozbonus@gmail.com (This is the best way to contact me.)
* 0975037687 (Use this number inside of Taiwan.)
* 886975037687 (Use this number outside of Taiwan.)
* I'm not busy recently, so I'll be available to show you the place at almost any time.

This is the perfect place for somebody who's coming here to look for a job. Stay here for your first month and then look for a permanent place after you know exactly where you're going to work.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

dtb posted:

Does anyone know of an "old man's" league for ice hockey in Taipei? Maybe an inline hockey club or something at least?

Also, anyone have any comments on the Daan District in Taipei? That's where I'll be living from Wednesday.

Thx

I've been living in Daan for almost three years and have no plans to leave yet. It's so close to a lot of interesting places, but not noisy or expensive. Where exactly are you going to live? My apartment is near the Technology Building MRT station.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

dtb posted:

Looking for a good bar/lounge:
Must serve real cocktails (if the ingredients are in the name it's not a real cocktail)
Have cigars
Studded leather chairs
Ambient lighting
No one in shorts, jeans or sandals

Any suggestions?

Oh, in Taipei. I want to walk home in a drunken stooper, not pass out and wake up in the middle of getting sexually assaulted in the 'berbs

There's a place that looks just like this only a short walk south of Technology Building Station on the Brown Line, in the middle of the city. Despite living near to the place for almost three years I still haven't bothered going in, most because I keep forgetting that it's there. If I pass by there later tonight, I'll make a note of the name and exact address.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

That whiskey lounge I mentioned earlier is called Le Fumoir. The name translates to "The Smokehouse" so I can only assume that they also offer cigars too. I didn't get to go inside, but it looked really cozy and chill inside, if a bit on the small side.

The address is 353 Fu Xing South Road Section 2, which is a short walk south from the Technology Building Station in the Brown Line.

I've got no other plans tonight, so I'm down for checking the place out around... let's say 8 o'clock. If it's pricey I won't stay for long though, since I'm on a really tight budget for a while. There are a handful of other bars around the area too, though. I've always got my phone on me, so I can check this thread if anyone wants to chime in.

In other news, there is a :siren: whiskey convention :siren: at the Taipei World Trade Center that is finishing tomorrow.

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't be a dumbass and post an invitation minutes before a scheduled downtime.

Oz_Bonus fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 22, 2012

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Haraksha posted:

Looks standard to me.

How do you get screenshots like that?

Usually you hold down the power button and push the 'Home' button. Works that way on all Apple and Android devices I've seen.

Also I'm declaring my membership to the effortless language switching on Android club (HTC Sensation LE WithTM BeatsTM byTM DreTM.)

Oz_Bonus fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 24, 2012

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Well, my new year plans fell through. Any awesome drinking going on tonight? Or any time soon really.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

My cheap-rear end boss told me just yesterday that I am getting only eight hours a week until Chinese New Year. :arghfist::(

If anybody knows about any short term work in Taipei City during the next three or so weeks, drop me a line, please. I'll take pretty much anything before 1pm and after 5pm, or any time of day on weekends and Tuesdays.

Can't wait to start looking for something more stable after my contract is up.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Haraksha posted:

Well, that's basically what I was going to say. There's not really a keyboard specifically design for Pinyin that I know of. If there is, I'd be curious to see it. The most elegant solution that I could come up with was a letter tacked onto the end of the word that had the tone above it so you'd only need to add/replace four keys on a standard keyboard, or use a simple command like alt+1,2,3, or 4. Hell, if the command was that simple, you wouldn't even need a new letter. After typing the word you wanted, you'd just hit the tone command button and whatever tone you wanted and it would automatically add the tone marker to the appropriate vowel.

xià zài Pinyinput!

It's a windows IME that just lets you type pinyin with tone marks. It's useful for making flash cards or talking about Chinese with other learners.

The download page has a pay-what-you-want thing. You can opt to pay nothing and still download it.

What I really hate about the pinyin IME for Windows is that there is no way to use tones to narrow the selection of characters like with zhuyin, so often the character you want to type is several pages down on the list. Tpying with zhuyin is so much faster once you learn the keyboard layout.

PS: Still looking for work :negative:

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

TetsuoTW posted:

I've never found that to be the case. In fact, that's exactly what I did for my previous post.

It definitely doesn't work that way for me. Pushing a number just selects whatever character is in that position on the list. W+O+3 just plops 握 on the screen, for example. I'm using Microsoft Pinyin New Experience Style. What IME are you using?

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

我討厭你 (AKA: Taiwan Girls are Easy) by 宇宙人 (Cosmos people)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLs8jf7iAnk

I guess they made this in good humor (although it's a terrible joke). I'd hate to think that young Taiwanese people are really this xenophobic and antifeminist.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

KingSlime posted:

I skimmed the OP and read up a bit on Wikipedia. I graduated with a BA in English/American Lit and would love to move out to a different country to work and live in for a few years. Taiwan definitely sounds appealing, though I have a few quick questions:

Job-wise, I will likely try to take the teaching route. I have a DWI (which was dismissed after I went through a defferal program/6 months probation). Will this be an obstacle? I am assuming the whole "no conviction" thing should help.

Also, I have only one functioning eye (my left) and as a result would much rather not drive due to nystagmus. Would I have trouble living in a big city where cars are absolutely not necessary as a teacher?

I'm Hispanic and fairly dark-skinned. Might this be an issue (finding jobs, dating, living in general) or not really?

Finally, is it too late to apply for teaching gigs for the second half of this year?

I have a coworker with a similar conviction and he managed to get hired somehow, although he was rejected from ever getting a teaching job in Korea for it.

As long as you live within Taipei City proper (i.e., not in a far-flung suburb) you'll be fine without any wheels. I've been here for years and only ever ride a bicycle sometimes.

The amount of bias you'll encounter for your skin tone will be greater than zero, but far less that any other Asian country from what I've been told.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

So am I just some kind of outlier since I've always worked only four days a week, never worked a Saturday, and almost always got plenty of hours during my three years here?

Anyway, I think it's been way too long since the last Goon Meat.

EDIT: I have occasionally had some ridiculous split shifts, though.

Oz_Bonus fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 10, 2013

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

My boss doesn't withhold anything, so I ended up owing a few grand. She also under-reports my income by about half and makes more mistakes on paychecks than can reasonably be attributed to forgetfulness. Shadier than average or just a regular level of shady - I have no idea.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Just that I just saw that they were advertising pretty hard at the elementary school my school pulls students from and was thinking about applying there since my current school is a mess.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

You can have a Taiwanese person co-sign for you when you get a contract. You can get an unlimited data plan for about USD$30 per month in my experience, plus a bit extra for the voice stuff. Some employees might not know that this is an option, so you might have to ask a manager.

I'd recommend getting the S4. HTC is awful at getting updates out and the company is in dire straits, so I don't expect them to get any less lovely. (Deeply unsatisfied HTC customer here.)

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

What website, if any, is popular among Taiwanese for selling second-hand goods? I'm looking to get a computer monitor and there's nothing good on tealit or craigslist.

Moon Slayer posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, I've been nothing but happy with my HTC One.

Hope you are using custom firmware, because HTC is apparently still a lovely company that drops all all support including security updates after just a few months. Stay confident!

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

Guys it's summer which means that we can get awesome beers at 7-11. How about us alcoholics all talk about that instead. Personally, I find that Kronenburg 1664 is the best way to trick Taiwanese girls into sleeping with me.

I'm disappointed with the selection this year. The only thing they have now that I really like is the Guinness and Boddingtons, and I've drank enough Guinness to last a lifetime, and the Boddingtons is cheaper at Welcome, I think. I was extra disappointed that they are not carrying the stout Bear Beer this year either, but just the regular lager.

I'm down for some 熱炒 and beer.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

It's along an incredibly long series of riverside parks too, so you take a leisurely scenic bike ride there and/or back, if you're feeling energetic that day.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

I got off early today, it's the weekend tomorrow, I just put together a new gaming PC, and Steam started its summer sale today. :getin:

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

duckfarts posted:

Smart man; use something that can run off of battery power.

Fuckin' right. Gaming FYI for people in general: if you want to buy a PC game on release, try Nova or Guanghua or whatever before going digital because starting retail price is usually 900ish NT. Only some games that are pricelocked or full-on imports like CoD, Blizzard stuff, or Guild Wars are full price(1590 or so).

That's how I was able to get Skyrim on release day at some ridiculous low price. Something like 30% cheaper than normal.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Well I just heard an enormous crash and my apartment shook really hard. We still have power and internet and that's what's really important.

Ed: Oh I didn't hear any screams, so I guess that's good, too.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

What's the name of that micro-brew bar in Tucheng?

USDA Choice posted:

Guanghua

http://www.newegg.com.tw/ :ohdear: It's gonna launch right about as I'm leaving Taiwan.

Don't wait for this to ever open. The box in the middle used to say that it was opening in June, but that got rewritten when it never happened. Hell, the copyright date hasn't even been updated since last year. It's dead in the water.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

Is this something you know for a fact?

It's exactly what happened to me last year and I had overstayed only a few days. Expect it to happen to you too.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

Some Chinglish nonsense like "Manual Wheat Beer". I should probably learn the Chinese names one of these days.

I couldn't find it based on that. The Chinese name is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember it either. Can you find it on Google maps with street view? I'll owe you a pint of algae beer.

EDIT: My girlfriend found it, so she gets the funny-tasting green beer. HERE is the place. In any case I'm down for beer and 熱炒 pretty much any night all month.

Oz_Bonus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 11, 2013

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

That's what it says on the TECO Hong Kong website. Shell, time to start planning my trip.

You ought to write up the steps you take in getting that visa after you come back. It would make a good addition the OP. I didn't have to do this myself since I still had a valid visitor visa when this happened to me, but I'm sure others will find themselves in your position sooner or later.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Well I guess my school is closed today in anticipation of the typhoon. I wish my boss had the decency to loving call me so I wouldn't have to go all the way there just to find the place locked up :v:

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Yeah, my school stays open sometimes too, which is why I went after not having my phone calls answered, but not wanting to accidentally miss a day of work. I only live about a ten-minute walk away, so it wasn't a huge inconvenience. Apparently the school didn't tell parents either, since I met a confused family at the (locked) entrance.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

As an American, I can say without much doubt that British is not a derogatory term Stateside. "loving British" maybe, but that caries an entirely different context than "The British".

Is there poker this Wednesday? We happen to have a Thursday off. I'll put it this way. If you are in the Taipei area and don't help me get exceedingly drunk on Wednesday night, I'm going to be highly disappointed in your heritage.

If there's any drinking going on during the break, count me in. No clue how to not suck at poker though.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

Where are some good video game stores in Taipei? I'm going to try and pick up GTA V since the weather is going to be lovely this weekend.

There's a lot of stores selling console stuff in a shopping area under Taipei Main Station. It starts around Exit Y13 or thereabouts.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us

I've had trouble buying a few things in Taiwan, but going to the above address fixes all of that. You may have to first login and then put that URL into your browser (NOT the Steam client). You need to be using an American card, naturally.

EDIT: I just got all the way to final "Are you really, really sure?" confirmation screen with a few Total War products using that link. Didn't buy anything though, because gently caress paying non-sale prices.

Oz_Bonus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 11, 2013

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well, I got myself a Xiaomi 2S 32GB. Been playing around with it for about a day. It's pretty nice. It cost me 6000NT for the phone and prepay and I got a 30 month contract with that at about 800 per month, unlimited data. So far it seems pretty good. I installed Neutron and got all my FLAC on there and it works great.

How's the battery life on that? I've been thinking about getting the same phone. And which carrier is giving you unlimited data for that price?

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Have you guys seen the beer selection at Welcome Mart lately? Because it suddenly became phenomenal. My local one has had a cooler stocked with a couple of German and Belgian malt liquors and Bodingtons for dirt cheap for a couple of months now, but today I saw them stocking about ten meters of shelves with a selection I've never seen in Taiwan outside of a precious few specialty bars, and at a tiny fraction of the price, too. A thing of beauty that was. :cheers:

Edit: Here's a portion of what was there already. I wonder how the Iron Maiden beer is.

Oz_Bonus fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 11, 2013

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

My Welcome does not have that awesomeness.

The one near my place is new and unusually large, so I guess it might be getting special merchandise. Hope your local stores start carrying it too. *sips double chocolate stout*

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

What are the odds of The Nymphomaniac getting a release out here? Also, who wants to have a sexy viewing party if it does? Note: Lars Von Trier's idea of a sexy viewing party may include, but not be limited to, mutilated genitals, the execution of blind Icelanders, forced prostitution set to David Bowie, Stellan Skarsgård, Danish dongs, and black people.

I'd see that. I've been feeling too cheerful lately.

More beer chat: Taiwan Beer is selling big bottles of a limited edition heffeweise and it's probably best thing they've ever brewed.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Can you get to Technology Building Station or thereabouts? I might be interested. Are the brakes and gears working all right? Those pretty quickly fell to pieces on the last used bike I bought.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Eifert Posting posted:

So no one knows where to look for Styrofoam boxes in nonstandard sizes?

Near Taipei Main Station, outside of exit Y16 (or an exit just before our after that maybe) there's a large, business-oriented shopping district. Lots of stores selling packing materials of all shapes and sizes around there. Plenty other cool, mostly practical stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

Anybody have any experience getting an international endorsement on a Taiwanese driving license and using it in America? I'm going back a several weeks long visit and that seems like it will be the only way I can legally drive myself anywhere.