Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Nah, it's getting harder and harder to find drug companies who want to sell involuntary death, and compounding pharmacies and supplier "privacy" laws are just kicking the can down the road a bit.

This was a front page story in many newspapers (including at least the Taipei Times here) over the weekend with Pfizer finally joining the list of drug companies that is blocking their products from being used in executions. Please read the news, Panda! It's good 4 u.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've been a supporter of Sean and the Sanctuary for years now. They're legit, and in my opinion the best animal shelter on the island. They've been totally hosed over a bunch of times with regards to property for their shelters, though. Following along has been a cautionary tale about getting involved in Taiwanese real estate and/or bureaucracy, good god drat.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Atlas Hugged posted:

When I first applied for my ARC they didn't trust that I had had an MMR and insisted I do it again. Americans have a bad reputation abroad these days.

This randomly happened to me too on my third health check here. They suddenly asked for records that I didn't have, despite it not ever coming up the two years prior. They swore up and down I'd have to get it done again, but proceeded with the rest of the check anyway. Then the doctors just forgot about it somehow and still signed off on everything and passed me. Bureaucracy in action! It never came up again in the following years either, until I finally got my APRC and no longer had to deal with that bullshit.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The sun's out, so pretty good.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
AFAIK, it's not a legal issue, it's just guidance from a government agency on what people should do. Stupid, wrong guidance that is gross af and I'm glad it's finally changing. Maybe, just maybe, people will someday be able to drink tap water here in our lifetime as well.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I think the landing permission still technically cannot be processed into a residency visa. The difference is before you couldn't get a visitor's visa once in the country. Now you can go from Landing Permission -> Visitor Visa -> Residency Visa all without leaving the beautiful, rainy island known as Formosa, hence negating the need for a visa run or whatever.

Full disclosure: I moved here a zillion years ago and haven't really kept up with anything about the process of visas/etc. after finally getting my APRC three years ago so uhh... take anything I say with a grain of salt :)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
They'll actually hand them out on the plane, asking if your destination is Taiwan, though they're also available at immigration if you sleep through them handing it out or whatever. Just need to fill out basic info, like where you're staying in-country and the purpose of your visit.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I was curious about it, too, since I was unaware of an online version.

It seems that since mid-2015 you actually can file it online to save yourself some time before traveling. Page to file it online is here. It says printing it out is not necessary so I suppose they just pull it up on the computer when you're going through passport control.

Really seems unnecessary to do beforehand, though. Enjoy the 30 seconds of your flight time consumed by filling it out on the little fold out tray, I say.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The Taiwan Megathread 2.1: Vacations, Jobs, Gay Marriage, and Seven New Posts A Year

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

PaybackJack posted:

Assuming this isn't sarcasm.

lmao

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm in Sanxia, so make that two goons (unless you're talking about me? I don't think so, but you never know). The one caveat to what you said is that Sanxia is actually a pretty dang big district when you factor in all the mountains and sparsely populated areas. It's the second biggest by area of all the districts in New Taipei City. Definitely, the urban portion of Sanxia is small and that's probably where 99% of people are at, but you never know, it's also entirely possible that TastyLemonDrop's family lives somewhere out in the boondocks.

edit: I like to say "you never know" apparently. you never know :shobon:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm on the :cool: side of the Dahan River and totally in love with all the MRT construction everywhere.

I only mention Sanxia's vastness because I never thought about it much myself until I found out one of my Taiwanese friends also lived "in" Sanxia. Getting out to that house was one hell of a journey, lemme tell ya.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Who even knows with Apple and their location mapping, in English their default Maps app still uses Tongyong for romanization, and other oddities like displaying locations as "Xinbei City" on my iPhone but then having it correctly display as "New Taipei City" on my Mac.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It is? I mean, I know it's the correct pinyin, but I thought the government-approved "correct" name is only "New Taipei," though I'd love to be wrong as I have previously railed in this very thread against weird non-standard romanization except in cases of historical precedent.

As I recall it was actually a big deal when the switchover from "Taipei County" happening with people protesting that names starting with "X" in English looked bad and a whole bunch of weird complaints which is how we ended up with New Taipei.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Maybe he was referring to how people wearing sandwich boards with whatever referendum numbers they wanted you to vote for or against were literally on every street corner last night. At least in my neighborhood.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
What, you mean you don't belong to the Honda Fit Club of Northern Taiwan, nor have stickers all over your car identifying how cool you are for being a Fit driver? What kind of monster are you??

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Or just find your nearest hospital, there will be probably dozens of medical supply shops within a 100m radius that have every kind of medical apparatus you could dare dream of.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It started off as just a proclamation by the NTPC mayor afaik, but then a bit later was enacted nationwide. Big deal, where ya gonna go?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've been debating all week about whether to go get it, precisely because it's the AZ one. If the choice is between AZ and nothing, I'd take the AZ shot, for sure. But I have definitely considered holding out for the Moderna shipments to arrive. It's not really clear if the government will allow people to choose their brand when multiple brands are available, though, so... I dunno, I kind of just want to get it done with. Would feel pretty dumb if I die of a rare blood clot or whatever, though, lmao.

And this data's a few weeks out of date by now, but I'm not so sure there are a lot of people waiting out for Moderna:

https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202104220024 posted:

In a recent poll conducted by cable television channel TVBS, 41 percent of respondents said they were willing to be vaccinated if COVID-19 vaccines are made available to everyone in Taiwan, down 7 percentage points from a previous survey in March. A total of 45 percent were not willing, up 6 percentage points, with 14 percent expressing no opinion.

Meanwhile, only 29 percent of respondents indicated they were willing to take the AstraZeneca vaccine, with 52 percent saying they were not willing.

That compares to 46 percent who were willing, and 36 percent unwilling to get the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and 36 percent who were willing and 41 percent unwilling to take the Moderna vaccine.

The poll, which surveyed 1,005 adults in Taiwan between March 30 and April 6, has a confidence level of 95 percent and a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

TL;DR: Taiwanese in general seem to be really COVID-19 vaccine-averse. 41% overall willing to get any vaccine, 46% willing to get Pfizer, 36% willing to get Moderna, and 29% willing to get AZ.

TBQH, this kind of mentality made sense with the realistically very low risk of catching it domestically when this survey was done in mid-April. But the CECC has indicated that the recent domestic cluster infections hasn't really led to a huge surge of people getting the vaccine. And my own anecdotal evidence suggests the same, as I've watched the reservation system for the self-paid option at the hospital nearest to me (and I live in the northern metropolis). Up until 6 PM today I could've booked an appointment for tomorrow, and Wed-Fri is varying from 50%-70% booked. Next week is basically wide open.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
AZ and J&J are adenovirus-based, while Pfizer and Moderna are mRNA-based.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
lol remember when you could just walk in and get a vaccine and they were worried that they were actually gonna expire? lmao.

has anyone here who got the first dose gotten the second shot? i know they announced a week ago or so that people who got their first shot before 5/9 could go in for round 2. i missed that cutoff by 2 days but supposedly the second shot is more effective if you stretch it even further to 10-12 weeks after the first, so i'm not exactly super worried, but i do kinda wonder what the process is for us totally stupid weirdos who got the vaccine back when nobody wanted it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Did you just contact the hospital you originally got it at? The registration system at the hospital I went to was taken down after self-paid no longer was an option. I know I should research it but I just passed 8 weeks a few days ago, so I want to give it a bit longer before I bother with it.

(Also, I'm in the middle of a move so I got about a zillion other things on my mind but yeah, I really shouldn't forget about it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The Taiwan Megathread: Uhhh... Dwight Howard?