Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Wait what? A student broke your back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
If you ever want to get your APRC make sure the company you work for is claiming the correct amount of tax. If you're only paying 3000/month you aren't paying enough.

This is only if you want to get your APRC now. Which is amazingly easy to get after 5 years in the country.

For 2012, you need the 2011 LONG FORM tax form showing every month for the year, and it has to show that you made a minimum of 429,120nt for last year (minimum of 35,760nt / month)... In 2013, it's going up to 450,720nt (37,560 / month)

thegoat fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 12, 2012

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
The new APRC rules are pretty great though. No medical. No FBI check or police report from home country.

They are also changing the amount of time needed to live in Taiwan from six months each year to being in Taiwan once in five years.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

duckfarts posted:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Is this for real? This was what was holding me back so far because it's a huge pain in the rear end.

This is 100% for real. If you have been here on an uninterrupted arc for 5 years, AND you have tax records that state you have been paying the proper amount of tax. Pay 10k and get your APRC.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
You do need something from the school regarding employment with their stamp

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Everything is 100% except you still have to live in the country for 6 months each year. This has gone to the executive yuan but hasn't passed as a bill.

YOU DO NOT NEED A HEALTH CHECK OR A POLICE REPORT FROM YOUR HOME COUNTRY FOR YOUR APRC.

I know two people who have done this since the change.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I have never had a weekend class other than the lovely make up classes. If possible I would wait until arriving in Taiwan to get a job.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Ravendas posted:

Classes graduate?

Now that they're hitting the literal end of classes though, we've gone into uncharted waters. The parents still want the kids to attend English class, but there is no prescribed English course for them. So the school asked me to make up a course based on something that I like, that is English based. So I'll be teaching some Tolkein/D&D inspired Fantasy Story Creation class of my own devising. It'll include art components as kids sketch out and draw up maps, name various locations, place various monstrous critters within them, writeup descriptive paragraphs of the interesting bits within, make up their own monsters to be placed within, and finally come up with some story that occurs within their drawn up area.

I'll make a 'textbook' cobbled together from various D&D books, like a stripped down section from the Monstrous Manual, sections from The Worldbuilder's Guidebook on map creation, and sample maps from Tolkein, and other famous maps.

I presented the basic idea of this to them on Friday, and they were quite receptive and interested.

Please tell me you are doing all this prep on school time and being paid for it.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Buy a new jacket. Problem solved.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

HappyHelmet posted:

Random question for you guys. Anyone here seen a place that sells GOOD food processors? I could really use one for some of my baking, but I can't find a decent one anywhere. I'll probably try Costco tomorrow, but I'm not really getting my hopes up for that because the Costco here doesn't have poo poo for appliances.

https://www.ruten.com.tw

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
It's actually becoming very common to get degrees notarized. When I first arrived my photocopy worked for about 4 different ARCs and then one day out of the blue they asked for the original and to have it notarized.

When I got it done I shipped off the original and a photocopy. This was for a normal year-to-year residency card.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I'm pretty sure the play store does location based on sim card. So even using a VPN doesn't work.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

quadrophrenic posted:

but I've been to Kaohsiung a few times and I'm absolutely in love with the place.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KaohsiungLiving_com/

You can follow this mailing list to see what jobs are posted.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I've been here ten years and have always had split shifts. Mornings until noon. Afternoons until 4:30 or 5:00 and then evenings until 9. If you want a lot of teaching hours it's a must. I've never worked on Saturday though. Five days a week is enough

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
My shifts are a bit more split. 8:30-12:00, 1:55-4:15 and 5:30-8:45. Weekdays. I wish I could stop working mornings.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
When are you coming to Taiwan? I should give you my bosses email and you could send over a resume to her. Not a huge chain like HESS but 7 schools in Kaohsiung.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
You totally threw those construction workers off their game! With all their "hi"'s and "hello"'s. Good work!

I always respond with "hello" and then they shout "how are you today!?" and I also answer that. I never get a response after that. I also live in Kaohsiung and I'm sure if I answered in Chinese they wouldn't even understand. Taiwanese is far more popular with the working class down here.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Driving on those mountain highways is always pretty crazy

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I have done that exact thing for ten years now, in Kaohsiung. I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with Tainan.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm also going to need to get an apartment in Taipei. My ARC expires at the end of July - is it going to be a problem to sign a housing contract?

I have never had a landlord ask. 10 years, 5 apartments. You should be fine

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I am in Kaohsiung and I can drink beer and other liquor but gently caress gaoliang. I am moving this weekend but I'm almost always around and I'm up for some drinks. Email me or join the Taiwan goon facebook group. taogeht at gmail

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
You are correct that this is a way more active forum than the facebook page, but with facebook you can put names and faces to nicknames!

Also I think most goons live in Taipei anyway.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
That Kronenburg is actually pretty delicious. A tiny bit fruity but not overly disgusting like the gross mango Taiwanese beer.

I have an amazing shop up the road that sells a large number of beer so I don't even have to slum it at 7-11. Suckers

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I have several students named Kevin and they are generally quite smart and well behaved. I find in all my teaching that Wayne is the name of a child is a total idiot. Johnny doesn't fall far behind. There have been kids named Money, Cash, Nini, Momo, Jojo, Cat and I'm sure a lot of others that I've simply forgotten.

I actually mentioned the story of this Turkish foreigner to my wife and several other Taiwanese people and not one of them knew what I was even talking about. As soon as I mentioned the news they all told me about the new baby panda at the zoo.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

duckfarts posted:

Speaking of panda dick, is the Taipei Zoo any good? I've been here for a long time but still haven't gone. I wouldn't be expecting a world class animal sanctuary, but I'm hoping it's not dirty/awful/awkward because I do want to check it out sometime.

I enjoy it because I live in Kaohsiung and the zoo here is terrible. Make sure not to go on a weekend.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Where is our crusader? We have another foreigner up to no good! http://www.ettoday.net/news/20130711/239232.htm?from=fb_share_web

This guy actually subbed at a school I work at and the police were there last week looking for him. Looks like they found him!

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Down here in the south there will be no day off. I enjoy teaching but always enjoy a day off. Maybe I work too much. The loss of money on a day off doesn't seem to bother me.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
If you overstay, you pay a fine BUT you cannot return without a visitor visa. You cannot get a landing visa.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Is this something you know for a fact?

Yes. I've overstayed three times and each time they put a huge stamp in your passport that says you are required to have a visitor visa

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Plan to arrive as early as you can, be polite and you shouldn't have any problems. I've never been denied a visa even with 3 overstays. You will also likely have to write a letter explaining why you overstayed.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Another tip, YOU CAN ONLY FILL OUT THE FORM ONLINE. They dont accept forms that haven't been done online.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Maybe someday when they allow you to have dual citizenship it might be worth it. Then again the tests and poo poo that go along with becoming a Taiwanese national are probably too much work and an APRC with a work permit is already pretty awesome.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I'm doing 39 hours a week during the summer and it's about 120k/month. The sad thing is I can't imagine working 40 hours a week for less than half that. I would love to get a proper jobby job and all that but not when ESL money is this good.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
They 100% also test for morphine.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Weed is a bit harder to find. Hash on the other hand is everywhere all the time. Ketamine is totally the drug of choice with the party crowd and I constantly see people smoking it at the most random places. Ecstacy is also just as easy to find as ketamine. The only drug that I've heard people having a hard time getting in quantity or quality is cocaine.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Oh it's very popular. I don't think it's so much about the efficiency of it, but rather the difference in what it does. It results in a dizzy / wonky effect that doesn't last nearly as long as injection or insufflation.

It also smells like burning plastic and is pretty gross.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
You get a new arc or APRC but you don't get a new arc number. Your new passport number goes on a new arc with the same arc number. I've gone through work and student arcs and I've kept the same number for ten years.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
The post selling stuff is a joke right?

It reminds me of a story though. Down here in Kaohsiung there's a daily email that goes out for foreigners. It's people selling stuff, or looking for jobs or schools looking for teachers etc. A guy had a huge list of random stuff he was getting rid of, one of the items was a 1/2 used box of laundry detergent for like 300NT.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
The Chinese place on the 86th floor of 101. It is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I live in a building with a proper dumpster and recycling room. I haven't taken trash to a truck in about six years. Move to a new building.