Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

-Class system is gone; instead you have full access to abilities from all classes, you can mix and match skills from tech, soldier or biotics
-Goal is to allow players to try different approaches to combat without being locked in at the start
-However, you can still specialize once you invest enough points into a category of skills, you unlock a profile that can get you bonuses for your particular play style
-This is where class names like "Vanguard" (invest in combat and biotics) and "Adept" (invest in biotics) resurface

"There are no classes"
"There are classes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/795717222207549440

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/795708341842563072

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sombrerotron posted:

Those cheap fuckers, the least you can do is stick a disc inside if you're going to make a PC box at all.

My copy of Infinite Warfare showed up today (I wanted the 20% discount you get from Amazon) and the package seemed pretty heavy.

7 loving DVDs, good on you Activision, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to download anything if I weren't just installing it via Steam.

Pattonesque posted:

-Emphasis that relationships don't just culminate in a sex scene, but rather characters can just want to get in the sack, while others are interested in long term relationships and others still aren't interested at all. Bioware wanted to capture more "shooting bottles with Garrus" moments in the game, of which there are plenty

Translation: People liked Iron Bull.

hobbesmaster posted:

"There are no classes"
"There are classes"
I think it's more
"There are no classes, but we will reward specialization to incentivize limiting yourself in other areas and diversifying your options via the party members you bring."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Can't wait to make a character with a tech shield and then give them a biotic charge to be a veritable God of Death.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

hobbesmaster posted:

"There are no classes"
"There are classes"

Huh, this interests me. I've never liked the way some of the powers were split before so mixing and matching sounds nice. The justification for the story sounds weak, but anything that avoids the Reapers sounds appealing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Can't wait to make a character with a tech shield and then give them a biotic charge to be a veritable God of Death.

you'd better be able to biotic charge while jetpacking otherwise has any of this really been worth it

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

I imagine there will be some kind of limitation to avoid you becoming a ridiculous death-comet like skills being mutually exclusive or having them broken into Combat, Tech, and Biotic trees. That or just making them lackluster without investment.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
peebee herman's space adventure

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Flamer and Overload for Fiery God of Death.

...Assuming fire, cryo, and tech explosions work like they've been working in MP.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I still don't like the idea that the arks leave before the events of ME3. Forget the endings...does this mean all the significant strides we made in that game just don't matter anymore? Are all the quarians we bring with us still stuck in their suits? Are our krogans still sick with the genophage? None of our asari will know the truth about their goddess? I don't care if they throw out the poo poo endings but what about the rest of the game?

quote:

Liam
Gonna gently caress this

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I haven't kept up with the days news. Only two things I care about:

a) Is there a central hub where you send your crews off to do automated missions?
b) Are the open worlds filled with mini-quests and collectables?

I really, really don't want this to be DA:I in space. DA:I loving sucked.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

I haven't kept up with the days news. Only two things I care about :

a) Is there a central hub where you send your crews off to do automated missions?
b) Are the open worlds filled with mini-quests and collectables?

My understanding is that a while back they said this would be a different type of game than DAI. How much of that feedback they'll actually implement is up in the air

More:

Multiplayer
-More evolved and refined form of ME3
-Card based economy where you earn XP and credits
-There are microtransactions but no real world money is required, you can unlock normally
-You still set the map, enemy, as before but you can also activate modifiers that can give you decreased health (for greater reward) or more damage (less reward)
-Bioware also plans to release custom crafted missions with unique modifiers that players can't change themselves
-These custom missions give you a 3rd currency, "mission funds" which allow you directly purchase items and weapons vs the mercy of random card packs; however these items are only available for a limited time in the store and can change often
-In MP, you play as the "Apex Force", a militia strike team from the Nexus
-Different enemies require you to use different tactics (some are shield heavy, some use heavy biotics etc)
-Playing MP will have advantages for the single player but it absolutely does not affect the ending of the game
-New "Prestige" mechanic added: With several types of characters, you earn regular XP and prestige XP. The prestige XP goes into every character of that 'type', for example 'tanky' characters. Earning enough prestige can grant you added health for all tank characters, etc.

Choices
-No more Paragon/Renegade system
-They want more nuance and subtlety and giving the player more opportunity to express themselves
-You can agree or disagree with someone without being punished or cornered into a paragon or renegade choice
-Dialogue option tones: heart, head, professional and casual.
-These don't affect you or sway a meter one way or another, rather they allow you freedom without worrying about unintended consequences
-"Narrative actions" (previously "interrupts) return but rather than giving a "red"=bad or "blue"=good choice, it can say "shoot", leaving more ambiguity to your choice

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
New thread title: Mass Effect: Andromeda - 36 Romance Options but No Endings

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pattonesque posted:

-They want more nuance and subtlety and giving the player more opportunity to express themselves

how am I supposed to know how evil I am without my glowy face cracks

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Steve2911 posted:

This very much looks like ME DA:I. Everything I've read about the planets immediately made me think they've taken a lot from Inquisition.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

Those cheap fuckers, the least you can do is stick a disc inside if you're going to make a PC box at all.

The game is probably going to be like 50gigs like most AAA games these days so that disc would probably only have an origin installer. Nobody is going to put a PC game on Bluray or 10 DVDs.

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

Choices
-You can agree or disagree with someone without being punished or cornered into a paragon or renegade choice
-These don't affect you or sway a meter one way or another, rather they allow you freedom without worrying about unintended consequences
-"Narrative actions" (previously "interrupts) return but rather than giving a "red"=bad or "blue"=good choice, it can say "shoot", leaving more ambiguity to your choice

Good stuff

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

"Pathfinder, you must manually extract this rare mineral composite for the cause"

"Don't we have actual robots and technology to fully automatize that"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Gotta say I'm real excited. And I think I'm gonna jump out of the ongoing coverage for now. I ended up liking ME 3 as much as I like any Bioware game but it's the most tainted for me because of the leak and the general reaction to it leading up to the release. Everything was just so negative. Some was very on point criticism but it was mostly gross over exaggeration. What I learned is that I still liked it despite it all so I figure it'll happen again.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Veotax posted:

The game is probably going to be like 50gigs like most AAA games these days so that disc would probably only have an origin installer. Nobody is going to put a PC game on Bluray or 10 DVDs.
Then why bother making a PC box at all? They are pressing the game on Bluray for the PS4 and Xbox aren't they?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Transmetropolitan posted:

"Pathfinder, you must manually extract this rare mineral composite for the cause"

"Don't we have actual robots and technology to fully automatize that"
You joke but it's actually terrible. Like, ruining the game terrible.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BrianWilly posted:

I still don't like the idea that the arks leave before the events of ME3. Forget the endings...does this mean all the significant strides we made in that game just don't matter anymore? Are all the quarians we bring with us still stuck in their suits? Are our krogans still sick with the genophage? None of our asari will know the truth about their goddess? I don't care if they throw out the poo poo endings but what about the rest of the game?

Gonna gently caress this

This is the closest thing to a reboot of the Mass Effect franchise as you're going to see because of how #3 was creatively (mis)managed. Best to just forget pretty much all those sub plots.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

I joke exactly because of that. In Inquisition, you are the head of this out-of-bounds exceptional religious paramilitary organization but the ENTIRE SUPPLY of the all common elfroot must be done manually by yourself. It isn't just a gameplay design disaster, it is a narrative one as well.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
real goddamn excited to see the multiplayer!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Transmetropolitan posted:

I joke exactly because of that. In Inquisition, you are the head of this out-of-bounds exceptional religious paramilitary organization but the ENTIRE SUPPLY of the all common elfroot must be done manually by yourself. It isn't just a gameplay design disaster, it is a narrative one as well.

Except you can literally send people out to farm for you. Or grow poo poo in your garden.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Veotax posted:

I can take a picture later but the infinite warfare box has 7 loving DVDs in it. They probably don't print PC games on Bluray because it's an increase in cost for very little payoff. If they don't have a DVD Drive they can use the code in Steam and you've wasted maybe a dollar pressing those DVDs. If they don't have a Bluray drive they're in the same boat but now you've wasted how much additional money per box?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Beefstew posted:

Except you can literally send people out to farm for you. Or grow poo poo in your garden.

Base management mechanics are almost as bad as collecting mechanics.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Beefstew posted:

Yes, which gives a mediocre supply anyway. You can also spend precious perk points in getting an also mediocre (compared to other benefits) haul of it. Like some other posters back then said, just use cheat engine and go back to the actual relevant job you are supposed to be doing. Inquisition is immensely more enjoyable without those annoying grindy/fetchy/stupid mmo-esque time wasters.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
weirdly enough DA2 did resource collecting better than DAI

you find a source of elfroot or whatever, mark it, and now it's yours for the rest of the game

so instead of a constant resupply of elfroot, you need a certain number of nodes and then you can build all the stuff you want

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Gonna gently caress this

None of those decisions ever mattered because the ending of ME3 made them irrelevant. ME3's ending was so uniquely terrible it makes the rest of the game not matter in the least.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Beefstew posted:

I mean, there's literally a line in the trailer with Ryder saying "We're the aliens".

MY GOD

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This game looks good and fun

Show me all the aliens I will be able to bone, Bioware :mad:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kurieg posted:

I can take a picture later but the infinite warfare box has 7 loving DVDs in it. They probably don't print PC games on Bluray because it's an increase in cost for very little payoff. If they don't have a DVD Drive they can use the code in Steam and you've wasted maybe a dollar pressing those DVDs. If they don't have a Bluray drive they're in the same boat but now you've wasted how much additional money per box?

Fair enough, but this is literally the first time I've heard of a game that large still coming on disc for years. I don't like the practice of not putting discs in the box, I just don't expect any better these days.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No, ShepardRyder. You are the ReapersAliens.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Why haven't games gone down in price if there's no box or disc or fold out map of the galaxy

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

moist turtleneck posted:

Why haven't games gone down in price if there's no box or disc or fold out map of the galaxy

In most cases getting an email code or just buying the digital copy outright costs more than the box with the code in it.

Sustainable.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pattonesque posted:

-Due to complications in the awakening process, your sibling won't join you in combat but you can interact with them and build a relationship
-Many of these dealings are optional, and discovering more about the Ryder family is a plot thread
RIP Bro Ryder, a quarian licked his bacta tank, and now he can't leave the ship.

Steve2911 posted:

Kurtofan posted:

-BioWare did not want to repeat having things like mineral nodes and multiple identical outposts scattered across planets

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

In most cases getting an email code or just buying the digital copy outright costs more than the box with the code in it.

Sustainable.

This exactly. It cost me less to have CoD:IW mailed to me than it would to have bought it from Steam.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Got a N7 day thread for ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
New thread title should obviously be "and then you were the aliens."

• Locked thread