Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Riding: ~2 years as time allows
Bike: 1998 KDX200, 2005 GG TXT 300 Pro
Terrain: Uh...anything that happens to be on the trail. Rocks, sand, mud, gravel, any other poo poo.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

VTNewb posted:

My buddy Chris bought a 2005 KTM 250 SX with woods ridin' mods. This is his replacement for his KDX which was stolen at the same time as my KTM mid last year.

The first thing he does? Crash it at the top of 2nd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nw_ndyzyFk

Seems like the proper way to break in a dirtbike to me. I know the first time out on my new (to me) dirtbike I crashed multiple times and it's always ran great since.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

UFS207 posted:

2001 KX125 with a KDX220 motor swap

How do you like the hybrid? I have a beat up KDX200 and have been toying with the idea of building a hybrid. Going to be that or a KTM 200 I think.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 26, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

How much custom machine work was involved in the swap?

Guide I've looked at a few times - http://onlytrailbikes.com/2011/07/20/kdx200-kx125-hybrid-build-how-to/

Nothing too major but some welding, cutting and making things fit. If you had the tools and space it seems pretty straight forward.

The more I consider doing it the more time I spend on craigslist looking for a ktm 200

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Welcome to the smoker side

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I bought a bike with no seat and the kick stand on the wrong side. 2005 Gas Gas TXT 300 Pro

lovely seller's photo since I got home with it at 2am

Already looking for pallets, boulders and other stuff to build a course in the back yard. Am either going to learn a lot or hurt myself on this thing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

VTNewb posted:

My trials experience went like this:

Year 1: Learn a lot
Year 2: Compete a lot
Year 3: Win enough to get promoted out of your depth and hurt yourself
Year 4: Bike company goes out of business, sell bike

Tada!

(Awesome bike by the way)

Rode around in the yard for 45 minutes, felt weird but pretty good. Going to have a lot of fun on this thing.

Found a nice little loop on the spare lot that I was going to run but drat if there isn't a trick to starting that thing. A trick I haven't figured out yet. Previous owner got it first kick every time, took me 10-15 tries the first time and no luck second time.

Watched youtube videos and try to replicate but I'm doing something wrong.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've been considering reducing the number of bikes I own for a while, it's getting a bit ridiculous. Right now I have a 98 KDX 200 for trail riding which is great but looks like it may be one of the bikes I sell.

Of the dual sports in the 200-300cc range which are more suited for off road riding? I've primarily been looking at the WR250R lately but some of the other offerings (husky/husa) are looking decent as well. Plated KTM 2-strokes are also an option I'm looking into, 125-250cc. By selling three of the current bikes I'll have some cash to play with but would prefer to stay under $4k.

Right now it looks like the bike would be used for 75% off road and 25% on road with an occasional commute (55mph zones) if I'm heading for dirt after work.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 30, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Spent the day at Trials Training Center learning to ride my new toy properly. drat what a great way to spend a Saturday. Tight turns, off cambers, wheelies, single and double blip log crossings. Learned a lot of stuff that I'll be able to apply to regular dirt riding for times I don't take the trials bike to the trails.

I was planning on doing two days but managed to be dehydrated by the end of the day despite drinking ~1.5 gallons of water and 4 gatorades so I decided to play it safe and pack up. I'll head back this fall and give it another shot doing both days.

Depending on other projects tomorrow I may be cutting down a few trees and setting up a simple course in the yard to play on.

Only downside...I need to buy yet another set of boots and possibly another helmet.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Would be a fun bike, frequent oil changes and valve checks but that's easy on the CRF's. He hasn't specified if it's the X or R that I saw...R is a race bike, X is more enduro.

I've enjoyed my CRF motard

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

It's an R model. Would be used at the local kart track, and also as my first dirtbike. :3:

You have a local place to ride it so buy it. Might need some suspension attention but that looks like a pretty well setup bike.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sure I'd do it...on the trials bike. On a 650 as they mentions, drat. I like the guy at 1:45 or so that just rides across and continues on with no trouble at all.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ramsus posted:

Here is my 2005 CRF450R:

I just sold one of those. Great bikes and I will miss the ridiculous torque that engine has. Mine was SM trim and I've always wondered how different it was from one with dirt gearing and wheels.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ramsus posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVMi5aU02A

This video from New Zealand looks like a lot of fun.

Looks like a fun group to ride with.

I need to stick a gopro on my helmet next time I'm practicing wheelies or anything else.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

VTNewb posted:

Track preview for Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHwG_H97mo

I'm lovin' it. JDay looks like such a cakewalk compared to nasty rear end NETRA championship events. Of course, this kind of race encourages balls to the walls speed, instead of survival so it's entirely different. Can't wait. They just said they plowed the track for the 3rd time. 12 more inches of snow fall to go!

That will either be an ice rink or a mud pit, either way it will be awesome. Try to keep track of how many times you crash.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I ran a 2005 450R as a supermoto for a bit over a year and a half mainly on the track and in the mountains. Checked valves and changed the oil likely way more than I needed to (they never moved) but the thing always ran great and made good power for me.

They don't like sustained wide open though, spew oil out the overflow tube then out the carb.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ramsus posted:

I never had that happen, but if you idle or go slow the thing will piss coolant constantly.

Forgot about the coolant pissing, yeah not designed to sit in traffic or idle. Get on it and as soon as it idles without choke start riding.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Managed to hit a deer on the trials bike yesterday...good news it was at about 15 mph max. Came around a corner and dropped off a small ledge (3ft) and boom deer in the way.

Deer and I fell over. It got up and ran away, I stayed on the ground for a minute or two laughing. No damage to me or the bike but I need to start using my gopro more often.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Work is finally slowing down enough that I may be riding dirt again...more than the trials bike in the yard or balance practice inside. Ran around a bit this last weekend and discovered that I need hand guards pretty badly, touchy brakes and small branches/vines/etc are a dangerous combo.

I picked up some small endurance Cycra guards that were in the bargain bin but now I'm thinking I may go with the basic aluminum bar option instead. How do the simple aluminum bar type guards work for single track type riding? Ideally looking for something small and light.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

For woods riding elbow pads I like my sixsixone armor suit thing. The elbow pads are gouged up pretty good and I've never had more than a minor bruise on my elbow. I really need to get back in the woods, other than the trials bike around the house it's been at least a year.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I spent the morning playing in the dirt/mud/clay for the first time in at least 8 months...maybe since last fall? Rode for about two hours, burned 3/4 a tank of gas and am going to be sore as hell tomorrow. Trails were slicker than I expected, they got a lot more rain than I did at the house. First loop wasn't bad just a bit damp, second loop started damp and turned to a nice clay/mud mush. It's a strange feeling having the wheels slide or spin and not being able to loft the front just by thinking about it.

Trials tires did pretty well until I got to the deep clay crap which hung on pretty good. I turned around once it got to that point. I hadn't ran the GG300 on the second loop I did, it was fun picking the worst line and just going up it at walking speed. Even when it got slick I could weight the rear enough that it would keep moving and any rocks/roots on the path provided a quick boost of traction. Had one fall at under walking speed when I got cocky and tried a stupid line. Spent most of the day in 3rd and 4th gear just putting along at a fast walking speed.

So do trials bikes make ok trail bikes? Yup, the worse the trail gets the better the bike is.

Here's a picture shortly after turning to head back to the car after the clay got really bad. Did a few stream crossings multiple times to clean the thick stuff from the treads.

I need to either do the final welding on my homemade hitch carrier or have my neighbor do it because a full trailer for this goofy little thing is stupid and I'm going to try to start doing this a few times a month.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Deeters posted:

Did you ride up that hill/rock face in the background?
Ha no, that is a vertical wall with a couple ledges and a nice stream flowing down it. The bike is certainly capable but I'm far from it. I do very little trials type riding despite having the bike, mostly just mess around (wheelies/stoppies/etc), jump logs and small <2' ledges.

I've considered getting something more suited to the riding I do but I just love the low weight and torque of this thing. E-start would be VERY nice though, I still struggle to start the drat thing from time to time. One downside of the Pro model is a short kick throw (if that makes sense) and you don't want to wind up and mash it or the gear will shred...anything done to save weight was.

kenny powerzzz posted:

It's amazing how a little bit of water on a trail will make an easily passable section a nightmare for a rider with my skill level(low). I was at a local motocross track a few weeks ago riding the woods trails and I had to turn around and go the wrong way on one way trails because I just couldn't stay upright. Meanwhile teenagers are just whipping by like it's not even sloppy.
One thing I had forgotten until I got to the real nasty stuff today that makes a huge difference on grip is peg weighting. If you want to increase grip on the rear tire you want your toes on the pegs and focus on pushing your heels down and back. It sounds strange but this really does help. Even with my crotch on the gas tank leaning way forward by driving my heels down I went from the back wheel spinning and sliding to hooking up and making it to the top.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 6, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

blindjoe posted:

Id like to get a dirtbike this spring as I sold my old KLR250 last year, and borrowing is too budget.
I have a 29 inch inseam, so midget legs. Ive ridden a friends crf250, and it was too big, his xr200's is what ive been borrowing, and they are just right for height.

Ive been looking for a kdx200/220, but there is only one locally for sale and I haven't been inspired to go look at it. What else should I be looking for? Id like a 2 stroke just because I haven't owned one yet. I think the ktms are all going to be way too big. The KLR was too heavy and slow. The xr200's aren't bad, but also slow. This would be for trail riding.

As a short guy (5'6" ~28" inseam) I rode a KDX200 for a while and you eventually get used to the height but it can be an issue. As VTNewb mentioned the KDX has a wide/squared off seat and isn't super slim so that makes it worse. If you don't mind planning where you stop so you can kickstart easier it isn't a huge deal but it can be. Best thing is go sit on a bunch of bikes if possible and the smaller 125-200 bikes are a lot of fun.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've always had a little range anxiety using the trials bike for trail riding. Today I actually ran out and had to push the thing a couple hundred feet up the trail to one of the main access roads. Lucked out and after sitting for about five minutes figuring out what to do someone rode by on an ATV and towed me to the parking lot.

So I'm looking for suggestions for fuel jugs that would fit in a camelbak to give me a little backup. Also looking for light weight tow strap recommendations. Would prefer not to mount anything on the bike but I might consider something that mounts where a number plate would.

Also discovered the reserve on a trials bike is hilariously small, especially when riding a technical trail.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

builds character posted:

Just get a tow strap and hook it to your foot peg? https://www.atomic-moto.com/MSR-Tow-Strap_p_604.html
And then something like this with a spare liter. https://www.atomic-moto.com/Wolfman-Wolf-Bottle-Holster_p_2217.html
Put in an order for MSR tow strap and 20oz fuel jug. I'll just carry both in my camelbak. That combined with the Hebo Trials Auxiliary tank I ordered a year ago and forgot about should give me plenty of range.

Going to attempt to get back into riding dirt at least once a week this summer

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

never happy posted:

I was thinking something like this for the upper body:

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/thor-impact-rig-se.html

And is it worth it to get a knee brace? I'm always concerned about my legs. And throwing my KLR around ain't easy

I have a similar upper body armor setup from another company, love it and have thoroughly crash tested it. I didn't go for full knee braces but do use knee armor similar to these - http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-bionic-mx-knee-protectors

Highly recommend at least running knee guards after loving up my knee for several months a few years ago from a low speed fall. Some decent dedicated motox boots are worth the money as well and will protect your ankles. I haven't picked up a neck brace yet but it's on the likely list for this summer now that I'm riding dirt more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

For a woods bike take a look at the KDX200 as well. They can be found cheaper than KTM and I ran mine for years with no failures and minimal maintenance. Tons of low end torque stock but toss on a woods pipe and play with the gearing a bit and you'll be able to lug it through anything. Not much on the high end though if that's a concern.