Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How much custom machine work was involved in the swap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Guide I've looked at a few times - http://onlytrailbikes.com/2011/07/20/kdx200-kx125-hybrid-build-how-to/

Nothing too major but some welding, cutting and making things fit. If you had the tools and space it seems pretty straight forward.

The more I consider doing it the more time I spend on craigslist looking for a ktm 200

Yeah if I could find a KX for cheap and a KDX for cheap I'd do it for sure. We'll see how things go.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If it doesn't make terrible noises when it's running, yeah, probably just a badly clogged carb.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gullous posted:

At that price I could part it out, or make a sumo or whatever.

Think its worth checking compression? What else, besides noise? Smoke upon acceleration/decel? What is the risk with a used 4T, valve train abuse? I imagine compression and a "is it making grinding noises" check would be enough.

Yeah but for that price even if it's poo poo you should be able to come out ahead with a fresh engine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

No matter what class you're racing, the guys at the front are loving fast.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

To be fair, its a 690 Enduro and Gullous rides it like he stole it. That bike has had a hard, hard life.

You say this and I can clearly see in my mind's eye him 30 feet off the trail, clods of dirt flying 30+ feet off the rear tire, blazing his own singletrack through the underbrush.

Or going straight through the puddles we skirted around.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

Can't tell if you're serious, its just a motorcycle after all.

Yeah bro, just like, clutch control and poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

690: only dangerous offroad. On road it's a good beginner bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

I was told this ignored post was directed at me so I will respond.

You see if you had ridden offroad bikes only 1/10th the amount of time you spent posting about riding offroad you might realize something that is 70hp and 350lb is a not at all well suited for the task.

If you actually had me on ignore you wouldn't be so hilariously easy to troll. :allears:

Anyways, new job is sorting out and I'll be finally buying a dirtbike soon. I'm planning on doing some supermoto to, so I was leaning towards an early model YZ250F as there's a lot of compatibility between the years for wheel and suspension swaps. Is there a reason I should be looking at other 250s? Also, ca has the green sticker/red sticker thing and the early YZs were green sticker so that's another mark in favor of them.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 30, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dear Dirtbike Thread,

I never thought it would happen to me but I'm thinking about buying this:
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403444

Should I? Are the Hondas reasonably reliable? Am I asking for terrible things?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's an R model. Would be used at the local kart track, and also as my first dirtbike. :3:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tape Leg posted:

04/05 CRFs have terrible valves that constantly fall out of adjustment. If you're going to get a Honda, try to get an 07 or newer.

Roger, thanks. Might have a line on a KTM, might be picking up an older YZ. What are the Green/Red restrictions in the area you guys ride? Will I be outcast if I end up buying a red sticker bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tape Leg posted:

What a loving day. A buddy of mine took a header off a 15 foot cliff and landed on his hip in a pile of rocks. Could barely stand on his leg. We had to baby him back for 15 miles of side-hill tough single track to get back to the truck. Never had to ride a section, walk back to another bike, then ride that bike through so many tough sections of trail in my life. About half way back, the other guy that was with us had his throttle cable break the ball off the cable. So we went macguyver and used a zip tie through a knot we tied into the end of the cable to create a loop that he wrapped around his thumb to pull the throttle. We then drove a stick into the grip slide to hold into place so he could actually get some purchase on his bars. Dude rode back literally pulling a cable with his thumb for throttle on his yz250 for 7-8 miles of tough trail. Tons of respect to both of my friends for making it out of there. What a poo poo day. I've never seen a throttle cable snap before, let alone right in the middle of dealing with an injury that made me think seriously about triggering my spot.

Note to self: Buy throttle and clutch cables to add to backpack as spares.

Glad your buddy is ok. I'm trying my damnest to find a good deal on a 250 to start out on, know anyone who's selling an older green sticker 250 4t for cheap?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh god what have I done.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's a 250. Don't want to follow in your tracks of breaking all my bones. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gullous posted:

Dirt is soft! You'll be fine. What gear do you plan to wear?

Just ordered 636 bucks worth of gear.

quote:

One Industries - Carbon Trace Jersey

One Industries - Defcon Race Pants - 2011

Shift Racing - Assault Gloves

Troy Lee Designs - LPS 7605 Shorts

Alpinestars - Tech 7 Boots

Thor Motocross - Sector Knee Guards

Thor Motocross - Impact Rig SE

And then the same goggles and helmet that I rocked when I was up there last :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

No battery on this bad boy...no estart either :(

Will grab a skidplate, though!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

Do you have auto-decompression?

Nope, manual decomp too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Once you pop you don't stop :pwn:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I replied to an ad for a downhill bike on craigslist, did I do wrong? The WR is good for uphills, this one is good for downhills, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm about 45 minutes north of San Jose...let me know when you're in the area, I'll buy the first round.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

First day of dirt riding tomorrow! :woop:

Have the bike all prepped, just need to toss my gear in a bag, pack some food, and off I go!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tape Leg posted:

Where you going?

Metcalf. Think that's probably a fair ways out of your way...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Silver posted:

Are you going solo for your first timeout dirt bike riding?

Nah we rolled pretty deep. Half a dozen people showed up to play.

Good day, got some air, rode some singletrack, crashed a few times, and my friend's XR650R, when kicked repeatedly, would start pumping gas out of the airbox. Then he kicked it through with the decomp open and it afterfired and lit the bike on fire. He dumped it and we kicked a bunch of dirt on it to put it out. Good times!

Also, I'm 90% sure my bike has a clogged pilot jet, because the idle is all the way up, and it's a bitch to start when warm. Need to fix that. Also going to install an autodecomp cam because gently caress kicking that thing over and over, such a pain in the rear end.

Got some serious air over motocross jumps too, for a newb. Had a great day, rode with a bunch of friends, all in all, it was fantastic. I'm beat. Can't wait to do it some more.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Should I put the 18 inch rear off of the Yz I bought on my WR? Stock for the WR is a 17.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm going to construct a rim entirely out of salvaged rimlocks, and then part it out for twice the money.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

I'd check again. Stock YZ wheels are 19" and stock WR wheels are 18". My buddies 2002 YZ250F has a 19" for example, my 2006 WR250F had an 18".

It's been pretty much a industry standard since 88 or so that MotoX has 19" and offroad has 18". Beyond the increased sidewalls ize on 18" to prevent pinchflats, I'm not sure the advantages of either.

You're right...I must have misread the numbers yesterday.

I'll probably end up putting the 19 on there cause the gold excel rims are shiny, and I'm curious to see how the geometry changes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Cleaned carb, checked valves, and all of the sudden the bike starts a lot easier hot. WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED?!?!

Think I'm going to swap the tank out for a YZ tank because it'd be easy and I like how the seat slopes better on the YZ tank.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Been riding some dirt on my new WR but also working shitloads of hours, so time for posting ride reports is very limited.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What bike are you on these days?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Get the 690 Enduro, best of both worlds! :haw: They even have a bad gas map if you can't find premium!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Becktastic posted:

690 sounds too big for me, I rode the 525 and it was huge!

I shouldn't even be posting here, I just sold my dirtbikes to go back to track riding. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Transport it in gear too. When the bike's in gear, it's not going to roll more than a few inches. Really handy for unloading, too, as you can use the clutch as a proxy for the rear brake while unloading.

Also, set up your straps so that it pulls the bike's wheel into the front of the bed and compresses the suspension rather than tilting it up. You're not trying to transport it with the sidestand down, right?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 24, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Silver posted:

Transporting it in gear wouldn't really make any difference though. :)

The reclukse is completely disengaged when the bike is off? I thought it would be engaged as it requires the spinning of the clutch basket to disengage. Learn something everyday :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

It requires the spinning of the clutch basket to engage, not disengage. The balls are held at a lesser diameter by spring force. As the bike spins up the balls push outwards overcoming the spring force, moving up a ramp which closes the clutch pack.

Of course...that makes total sense. :doh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

I can sell you a '01 YZ 125 for 1k. :) I did the poker run on it last year, no problems. Brand new top end, changed the oil every ride, guaranteed to start first kick every time.

Goddamnit I show up and you start selling bikes.

Keep the RS around so I can buy it from you in the future ;)

I rode that YZ for 2 days out at Tahuya, it was a blast.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It'd to remind him to save it when he goes over the handlebars.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah but how do you account for the costs of broken bones? Is it a ratio of time off the bike vs. medical bills?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Aww yeah bought a crf450F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Old yz250f or some poo poo. Go 4t, the yz125 2t I rode was fun but my wr250 blew it out of the water. I dont ride dirt though cause I have no friends that ride dirt nearby and because with 3 tracks 2 hours or so away it seems silly to drive out of the bay just to ride dirtbikes.