Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

State: Connecticut
Riding: 11 years since my dad put a bike under the christmas tree
Bike: '84 KDX200, but that could change soon
Terrain: The only trail riding I've been on in CT is both rocky and muddy, but I'll try anything

So first question of the thread, does anyone have a piston, cylinder, or even whole engine for a pre-89 KDX? My dad blew mine up when we took it on the ice a couple weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Somebody found a link for a free subscription to Dirt Rider for anyone who's interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3415037&pagenumber=27#post401843761

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

That looked like a fun trail until that drop off. I've never liked steep downhills, even on the street.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It seems like my local riding spot isn't going to be open this year. Apparently the flooding from Hurricane Irene and the freak October snowstorm did a lot of damage and they still haven't been able to finish clearing the trails. So do any of you from the Northeast know of good trail riding places, preferably ones that don't require me to register my bike in that state. I already checked out Massachusetts, and they won't accept my Connecticut registration for any of the state forests.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

You're down in CT? Let me ask the NETRA bros.

Yeah. I'm relatively sure the only other places in CT are either motocross tracks or only open for enduro events, and I don't really have a bike for either. I don't mind traveling out of state to find some good trail riding

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I should have mentioned that, it's only registered for offroad. CT won't let you make things street legal just by throwing on a light and turn signals, unfortunately.

The more I think about it, the more "Buy a dual sport" seems to be the right answer.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you're not opposed to two-strokes, look for a used KDX. They're cheap and easy to find parts for, and they have plenty of power for screwing around in the woods.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I put some new bars on my KDX, and now I've fixed all the annoying mechanical faults with it. None of the legal local riding spots are open, so I just messed around in my yard for a while and started cutting a trail in the woods. Turns out my property line is farther over than I thought, so I'm planning on making something longer.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh to have enough property to not even fully realize how far it goes

:allears:

Oh, don't be too impressed. It's only an acre of land, and I was only off by like 5 feet. The neighbor on that side is kind of a jerk and hates motorcycles, so I wasn't pushing my luck on the line. When I was younger and only rode bicycles through there, he put big sticks up across the part of the trail on my side of the line.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I took my DRZ trail riding a few weeks ago and finally uploaded some of the video I took. I'm not super fast, but I thought these were the interesting trails.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-_HTxtfr50

I'm definitely sticking with modern 4 strokes with electric start from now on.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Even though I've never really raced (I've ridden tracks on practice days), my dad's been flat tracking for about 15 years and I've always been in the pits. He started on a Sportster when he was in his late 30s, so that should tell you how easy it is to get into. Most of the amateur tracks I've been to have had fairly relaxed gear restrictions and schedules, and most of the open/beginner classes never seem full. It shouldn't be hard for you to show up on race day and have fun. I've also seen guys show up on supermotos without changing anything and do well.

If it's an indoor series, I'm assuming the track is well under 1/4 mile, so be prepared to bang into other guys a bit. Probably not a big deal in the lower classes or if you've done any other track riding.

In short, it is fun as hell and it's what Rossi does to practice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tjI3v58OR8

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

Anna got her first class win today at ThomaSten dam in CT. It was pouring out the whole tme. The pro race got black flagged because the track was flooding and the army corps that runs the track closed it down.

Before:

After:

My dad's friend was trying to get us to run in the novice class at that. I'll have to see if he ever made it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

You should have! Where do you live?

Near Danbury, about 45 minutes from there. I wanted to get one last trail ride in there before they close next week, but I know the trails are going to be pretty rough after that race and rain.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

Deeters and Cheese -> We should do a goon dirt day sometime!

I'd be down for it, although I might have to buy some knobbies for my DRZ.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

Deeters & Cheesebot,

~*MY GIRLFRIEND*~ will be covering the Jack Frost fun run for Trailrider. It seems to be centrally located for us all; might be an opportunity for us to ride:

http://www.netra.org/event/flyer/75/JackFrost.pdf

That sounds pretty cool. Does your bike have to be registered or anything to be used there?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Here's a picture shortly after turning to head back to the car after the clay got really bad. Did a few stream crossings multiple times to clean the thick stuff from the treads.

Did you ride up that hill/rock face in the background?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

Hey ya'll

I'm playing fantasy SX for the upcoming supercross season. You should too!

https://www.rmfantasysx.com/

It's free, looks fun. I made a little group: bieks pw: braaap

I'm in. I don't have cable to watch it on this year, but I was looking for a reason to not get bored halfway through the season.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Silver posted:

Hayyyy, new bike time. 2012 KTM250XC-F

This needs a purple or yellow seat.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

Had the first ride of the year a Thomaston Dam in CT. Long drive, but worth it! Did about 6 laps of the 11 mile expert loop.

It was also the first ride with the new suspension. I had it dramatically stiffened. It's pretty magical now - rock gardens and whoops are so much easier to deal with, and the bike stays very planted and straight on the big hits.

New problem though, when I'm really railing around corners I now get into a serious front and rear wheel drift. The front is pushing out essentially, but more controlled. This caused me to 'oversteer' for lack of a better word. I changed my behavior and began rear breaking into the fast corners and that solved the problem, but I need to do something about it, though I'm a bit stumped.

Thomaston is an awesome ride and I'm definitely missing it since I moved. What's considered the "expert loop"? I always just picked random trails until I got tired and/or stuck in a mud puddle.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I remember an article about how trials courses are designed. The designer said something along the lines of "I walk through the woods looking for something that looks impossible to ride over, and make it part of the track".

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If they're tall enough and can figure out a clutch, an XR 100 or TTR 125 would be good choices. Both seem to be common used.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What do you guys like for armored shorts? I expect to fall if I do Cornerspin, and hip armor is one of the things I don't have.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I don't wear any and I've never had an issue. I don't know about cornerspin and other flat track like activities, but in general dirt riding my forarms and shoulders always take a beating.

I'm starting to realize I should just find something relatively cheap that fits well. I should probably get a new chest/elbow armor too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm glad a goon got a set of those since I was wondering how pegs like that work. When I went dirt riding last week, my arms and hands got tired extremely quick whenever I was standing and leaning back a lot. I assume that means I need to use my legs more.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've never noticed a difference between when I wear elbow pads and don't. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

This is for tires with screws mounted in them, not sure if it will help you.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are those instructions to chase James Bond?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogCTonrtlvQ&t=216s

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Supercross thread got bumped to the archives, so I'm posting here to say that the Monster Energy Cup was a very entertaining race.

Hope Savatgy gets a good deal with Kawasaki after that.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'll throw one up this weekend. You guys know if the pulpmx fantasy league from last year will just keep working?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Can't let the dirt bike thread completely die.

For those of you in New England, I'm going to check this out tomorrow. Not a race, but something different from the usual trails.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I took my DRZ out in the woods for a bit yesterday, just trying to practice some basic skills. Wheelies finally clicked with me after realizing that I was just dropping my rear end down instead of back.

Any of you shorter people have tips for u-turns/donuts? I was practicing those as well, but almost dumped the bike a couple times when the muscle on the outside of my hip tightened up. Do I just suck?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I have been super lazy about watching this year. Sexton needs to get his act together before Lawrence moves up and takes Honda's focus from him. Also had to laugh at Eli almost eating it on the last lap

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'll accept it if Barcia explodes too

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Does anyone have suggestions for turn signals for my DRZ that can survive being dropped on rocks a few times? Procycle looks like they have some good options

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

builds character posted:

Depends on your state and its inspections. Do you want one that's a good turn signal or one that won't break? For example, I think your best bet is something like these that will never actually have to hit rocks. https://tstindustries.com/tst-led-front-flushmount-turn-signals-suzuki-drz400s-drz400sm.html and these https://www.ebay.com/itm/191147595085 and then just order a couple pairs because you'll still break them.

Hmm, I hadn't really thought about flush mounts like those. I'm not doing much street riding with it anymore, so I can probably take the risk of them not being visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My dad finally put knobbies on his DRZ so we went out exploring to see what Class VI roads were actually passable.

This was a dead end:

With a sturdy bridge (to nowhere)

Then I found an easy looking trail that supposedly led to a radio tower. The tower had been dismantled.

Finally we took one interesting looking road towards home. Started out fun, with just a few rocks and big mud puddles. It turned into some serious rock ledges that neither of us were in shape to do elegantly.

Dirt bikes are cool and I need to get out on this thing more.