Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Someone give me one good reason why I shouldn't snag an old, well-heeled but in great mechanical shape, KLR650 this weekend for $1500? It's exactly what I want, I think. Not a garage queen, been all over the place and ready for more, comes with some pelican cases, etc. Previous owner seems awesome, and the engine is from a '99. I'll specify these are Chicagoland prices so 1,500 seems pretty fair for a well-maintained bike.

If it comes with the racks and pelicans I think it's a smokin deal if it is exactly what you want. Without those its probably still fair as long as its not a bike you're gonna have to wrench on everytime you ride. I may be biased though I think it's a great platform for gravel roads and light trail use. Needs a milk crate though.
Edit- we do have a klr thread and those guys may know more about it.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
It's amazing how a little bit of water on a trail will make an easily passable section a nightmare for a rider with my skill level(low). I was at a local motocross track a few weeks ago riding the woods trails and I had to turn around and go the wrong way on one way trails because I just couldn't stay upright. Meanwhile teenagers are just whipping by like it's not even sloppy.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

tehk posted:

How slow are you going? New riders seem to slow down excessively out of fear when momentum and throttle control are the keys to buffing sketchy traction and mud ruts out. Mix that with body position and come home soaked.

Maybe not fast enough I guess. The instance I was talking about was at a riding area on a ktm demo day though so the trails were in the worst shape I've seen them in. Combine that with being used to bombing them completely or at least mostly dry.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

VTNewb posted:

Been riding the snow! Here's a video from last years snow race for flavor. I voice over'd commentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUAeu1DWKOo

That was great. Very enjoyable. What's the story on how you got you camera back?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Very nice picture.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
That looks like so much fun. I am seriously jealous, waiting for a break in the Ohio weather.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Thanks. Even though I think I do most of these anyway seeing it and thinking about why you do it can't hurt, only help.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

XYLOPAGUS posted:

What exactly is the compression release used for? Just assisting with starting by allowing piston movement without fighting compression?
Yes. And I have a 600r that's the same way. Don't dare touch the throttle with it or I'm kicking for no reason. I've actually basically stopped riding it because of it.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Thank you for that. I found a few places within 20 miles from home that I haven't heard of or hadn't heard of in so long I had forgotten about. I sometimes get in a rut (haha) and just go to the same local places even if I'm bored with them.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

EX250 Type R posted:

Traded all my go karts for a 2007 KX85. Being 6'1" and 210lbs I am a tad bit too large for it but for the purpose of having my daughter follow me around while she rides her PW50, I think this will work well.

If she rides anything like my 5 year old son you might want to follow her around at first. He's much more keen on the throttle than the brake.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I like your vids man. You've got to running a recluse or something right? I about poo poo when your bike took off. It reminded me of a Labrador retriever I used to have that would take off like that if her collar was in a position to slip it for 1/16 of a second. I'd love to have a riding area kind that close to me.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Evil the Cat posted:

Its 15-20 degrees in central NY where I usually go riding and everyone got their snowmobiles out. My YZ is chilling in a hayloft (:cmon:) and I'll prepare it for winter storage on Saturday. Picked up MXGP for playstation4 yesterday to help with this anxiety and its a kickass game :shobon:

Don't forget, ATGATT!

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Z3n posted:

Dirt is miserable two up. If you’re going to do this, used 1190 adventure should be your stead of choice, respring it for two up and you might survive with your relationship intact.

My girl rides on the back of my 990 adventure as often as she can. I'm a tall fat rear end and she's not huge but not a twig either. We've done two up stuff off road loaded with luggage and it is actually pretty easy for me to pilot and for her to ride, all things considering.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

GriszledMelkaba posted:

On single track?

Hell no. Forrest roads with mud and some water crossings and stuff like that. In the Tennessee mountains. But no, no single. But if we were to take it slow I don't think it would be a problem. I also don't think it would be enjoyable.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
So I’ve been doing less adventure bike stuff and more dirt bike stuff. Mainly because my son is old enough to ride now but not old enough to be licensed. So I picked up a 1998 Ktm 300 exc and then a 2012 Ktm 450 xcw and have been riding my parents property. We’re about bored there and really don’t have anywhere else to go. We’re in north east Ohio but I don’t mind driving a few hours to a spot or a park. There’s a local motorcross track but I think we’re more looking for riding rather than racing. Any suggestions?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Thank you that’s a good idea. I found a few close. I’ve lived in the area 45 years and didn’t know they were there.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I'm a trail rider but I do motocross practice days 5-10 times a year. It's super super fun and lets you really focus on basic skills.

EDIT: like yelling at your kids and shotgunning keystone

Not a bad idea. Our local motocross track is pretty awesome too. I ride trails more than anything myself and I could probably ride the track without killing myself, it’s my son that limits what we do. He’s 14 and I just got him a bike that is his own a few months ago. I’d like to see him with more clutch control and be a little more stable with his slow speed maneuvers. He’s just falling in love with dirt biking and is happy doing anything. It’s truly rad teaching him. But he’s not really in complete control yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
My son started on a Yamaha ttr 230 that is just about perfect for this. It was meant to be a stepping stone bike but we kept it for doinking around and for friends to ride.