Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shelvocke posted:

Any thoughts on mousse Vs tubliss Vs tubes?
Mainly for long weekend dual sport camping trips.

tubes if you're doing any highway mileage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shelvocke posted:

That helped, but also the clutch seemed a lot lighter and easier to feather on tricky bits. The power is a lot more tractorable at low revs; the Triumph wants to stall unless you rev the poo poo out of it.

Also there seems to be a lot more sensible dirt orientated engineering on the KTM, like the footpegs are easily replaceable as opposed to a convoluted expensive array that requires minor dismantling to get to. Anecdotally the gear lever on the Triumph is £150 to replace.
I also like the way you can adjust the suspension on the KTM front and back by twiddling a few dials on the outside.

:henget:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Is CA like 50% PNW posters at this point?

I wish I was back home :(

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Oh poo poo, did you have to move for some reason?

I had to move away for like a decade, never again.

yeah, work :(

I always talked about how oregon and the PNW was the greatest region / state in the US and never lived outside it til now. after living outside of it (nashville / ATL) for the past 9mo I am convinced I am a genius

like it blows my mind I have to ride like 80mi for okay OHV trails when I could ride under a half hour from my place in downtown PDX and be in endless, beautiful public land

I look forward to my return every day :D

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

EXCs do not have linkage so you'd need to look at a shock collar (which will only get you an inch or so) or into having a professional do the suspension for you

he's definitely not going to grow into it if you're 5'6" so I'd definitely lean towards having a pro lower it for the both of you

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

BDRs are very fun and the WABDR is a very good one. like TLB said, lots of videos on youtube so you can gauge in advance what you think you / the jeeps can handle

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Why is getting handguards on such a lovely process?

My cycera guards just don't want to line up with the bar clamps and not interfere with either the top triple or the headlight assembly. I've got protaper bars, I assume the guards would work with a normal bend but no.

cause there are a billion different bar bends and levers

there are lots of options for different types of clamps out there so I’d just buy off amazon / revzilla til you find the one that works since their returns are easy

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Do you know of any sites where people post compatability? I have ProTaper KX High bars, would like to avoid wack-a-mole with clamps. The cycera CRM clamps do not fit, not sure if I should try the u-clamps or something like this next:
https://www.motosport.com/product/?...C000L-X001-Y002

Thoughts?

I have no idea honestly as I’ve only run CRMs on my 1290 and my CRFs which I ran with renthals in a carmichael bend which is zero help. might try advrider as I am sure someone has put them on their kawi before

you have any pics of how they’re not fitting? I have to run spacers on the ones on my 1290 since they have to clear the bigger radial master cylinder

e: above is also a good suggestion depending on how they’re not fitting

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Verman posted:

As someone with a real dirtbike, I would love to hear your opinion on the RunRon. I've heard cool things about them. I've considered an electric bike of some sort for my yard to not upset neighbors. Thinking electric trials could be real fun.
Sucks about the Tao Tao, at least you got your money back. I can't even begin to fathom trying to buy a bike right now, especially on the used market. People are asking insane prices for their piles of poo poo, and many are getting it.

the Sur Rons are okay if you’ve never ridden a dirt bike before. if you have they’re kinda lovely. forks suck, frame is uhh flexy, and their range and usage estimations are optimistic at best

I’ve hosed around on them a bit and while they’re cool, I wouldn’t spend $4k on one as that’ll get you a decent dirt bike. I’d wait til the major manufacturers build something worthwhile

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

That's weird, I love my Cycras after years of cheap guards.

Stuff like the screws being self tapping and suboptimal plastic molding are consequences of being manufactured in the US I think.

the older CRMs are a bit primitive as it was all machine bent aluminum and no CNC. also an older design from the early 2000s iirc. the newer ultra CRMs are fantastic imho. I replaced my KTM powerparts CRMs with some ultras and the fit and finish is far better. the rails are now CNC'd and use replaceable inserts to fit the screws that mount the plastic handguards which also have removeable shields to allow them to vent in the summer

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

I found it via FB market place ad. When I get to the given address, I find a tiny motorcycle shop with lots of cool old and unique bikes inside. The owner was a very nice South African immigrant and his parents.
Nice fellow. Towards the end of the transaction he revealed that he "fled South Africa because it went to the dogs".
I wrapped up and left. In conclusion, Kennewick is a land of revolting contrasts.

African Americans cannot be r*cist

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can you knock off the endless baiting of this subject?

I am half-latin(o)x. it is permitted :greenangel:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

anyway racists aside... any of you guys tried using onX? https://www.onxmaps.com/offroad-app

some of the 4runner folks ive talked to like it for wheeling, but i'd be interested to hear if it's works well for finding good double track

I've been looking for something like this since I know jack poo poo about offroading in the SE, so I'll probably be checking this out after work since it looks decent. thanks!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

It's fine, it works pretty good, they pester you constantly for the monthly subscription though.

Lol you weren’t kidding. emails galore 😩

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

I spent a few hours riding at McCubbin Gulch OHV area in the Mt Hood National Forest with my boys. 15 and 12, both of them reefed around on the little Yamaha RT100. Couple small crashes, nothing bad.

This place has some nice single track riding.

yeah mccubbins whips rear end and is usually my go to if I'm making a roundabout trip down to see my dad from portland. browns camp is where I grew up doing all my OHV trail riding around portland though so if y'all haven't been out there you definitely should!

I always camp west of timothy lake next to the oak grove fork of the clackamas and use that as my basecamp for offroading up around mt hood if I'm taking a weekend to explore

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shelvocke posted:

Just bought my first home and spent the last two days (new job starts next week) exploring the local lanes and holy macroni there's the best dirt biking I've ever done about 2 miles from the front door. There's multiple small valleys with old cattle tracks that nobody except a few farmers and the odd sheep ever see, it's an unspoiled heaven.

On top of that the XR is now behaving beautifully and is a real pleasure to ride. Life is good.

congrats dude :D

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

that's sick. jealous of those trails

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

riding in the sand is awesome

on other people's bikes :D

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

anyone have experience with https://slavensracing.com/shop/lucky-cartridge-system-wp-xplor-forks/

thinking about it for the fe501, guy near me is selling em for 750. bike's planned useage is as an actual dual sport, so a lot of driving to trails

what's wrong with your current setup?

personally, on a bike that comes with decent suspension out of the box (lol @ showa), I would not recommend throwing money on parts at it. I'd recommend seeing about having it revalved / resprung by a pro. you're likely going to be looking at a little bit more money, but you're also going to have it set up perfectly for your riding style / use case

it's not a bad deal at all, it just isn't what I'd personally do is all

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

that's true, i'll play with the adjusters and see what i can get out of it stock.

spent all day today installing rad braces and wrestling with the rear fender trying to see what i can do with it. i'm slightly perplexed that the fe501s has TWO rear brake lights, and the one that has the license plate light is not the one that fits on the minimalized version of the fender.

i thought these looked neat though so I ordered one: https://www.enduroplate.com/

will figure the rest of the lights out after I get that in, and this all because sicassracing is like 8 months late on their 2020 fender elim kit

yeah I'd recommend setting your sag correctly first cause that's what the pros will ask you first before you start describing your issues with the stock suspension. once you've done that find a course you can run over and over (I used my commute) while you adjust the clickers til you find what feels best

if you're still not happy then I'd look into finding a local shop or someone online. I know konflict (worst name ever lol) does excellent work on WP units on the ADV KTMs, so I'm sure they could handle the fe501 just fine, but I'd just do some googling to see who has the best reviews of course

anyways, that plate kit is sweet!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

where’s that at? also just in case you wanna be a hero and also die of heatstroke from chopping trees, they make number plate mounts for stihls lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

I was out in the dunes again today, super nice weather. I ran the tires at 8 psi this time and that was a bit better. Tbh, it seems like I still need to learn shifting my weight for traction in sand. The more I ride out there, the better it gets.

Also it's pretty crazy how the parking/camping areas can be packed but you rarely run into anyone on the trails. It's a big area.

nice! I'd always run mine super low if its just dunes like sand lake, but mid teens if there was something worth "digging" for like out in china hat back in OR

sand riding is just always a lot of work and I prefer doing it on other people's dirtbikes since sand is coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere, but it is pretty rewarding :D

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ya lol the 500 is so so good. my dad snagged one and I am quite jealous

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

clakes are so loving nice, but my god, bleeding them and setting them up is such a pain in the dick

then again, last time I did one I think I was like 18 or 19 and it was probably my second or third time ever bleeding a hydraulic system lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm spending the weekend riding bikes on the beach and Dunes at Sandlake (Oregon)
It's pretty neat. We all got paddle tires and smaller front sprockets, definitely all worth it

I miss the greatest state in the union :(

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

dema posted:

Five and half to six hour drive. Was originally going to mtb but discovered some last minute issues and the bike shops are way booked out.

Going to do some easy BS since I'm inexperienced and riding all alone. No friends so I have to take it easy. Planning on just cruising out to Chicken Corners and back.

enjoy dude. I miss beautiful offroad riding

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

dema posted:

Chicken Corners was super good. Some little technical parts and quite scenic.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol that dude filming the orange jeep using the winch :eek:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

*ktm

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

two strokes are so sick. I am glad you're planning on buying one. whenever I am back in OR I plan to get a 300 2t of some type

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

it’s excellent country. I thoroughly loved passing through on my way to banff

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

now you can get everything else (not legally, but not illegally (decriminalized)) there too! greatest state in the union!!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Strife posted:

8-6-7-5-3-9-3-9-3-9-gently caress-N

Lol

barely pressing on the lever to go 2-N, and THUNK, 1st gear again bitch :rant:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ant mouth posted:

The browns camp staging area of the TSF will have the most access to the beginner friendly trails. That’s where a lot of my friends take their kids. It’s also the most crowded staging area since it is the first major staging area you hit from the city. That aside , it’s a great spot. The trails tend to get more technical the farther you head west down 26.

The hardest riding I have ever done is up in the Bluelake / dark divide area. Even the easy trails can have huge exposure. Go there if you’re ever feeling confident and need to be humbled.

browns camp is perfect. it’s where I started riding dirt bikes with my dad

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah: browns camp rules. holding up my dad’s XR500 there while he picked my brother’s XR70 off of him during a tip over is a formative memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

But Not Tonight posted:

dang I want to check out browns camp. how necessary are knobbies? or can I just send it with some 90/10s that I have on my bike now? I'm not looking to conquer all of it right now, just dip a toe into dirt riding.

depends on the weather mostly. you can ride plenty of stuff there on street tires if you have experience, just need to be smart enough to know when to turn around :D