Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Nice, I set my pulpmx team too because why not. Maybe tomorrow I'll just and make a proper thread. I think this is going to be a fast paced season in a lot of ways so it should be fun to do fantasy.

I think the next race is Tuesday for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I ordered some sumo wheels for my 500 a few days ago, thanks Joe biden. I hate the waiting for them to be made and then ship.

I think I'm just gonna keep it sumo'd and buy a dedicated dirt bike for off-road like a 150sx, which is like 20lbs heavier than an xr100 and makes like 4x the power.

Actually... That mught be a wicked cheater supermoto bike against 250 4-strokes just due to the weight advantage

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Oh also the 500 is the perfect motorcycle hands down and you can't go wrong regardless of your goals and type of riding

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Not that I'm biased or anything

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

Can you just run a 250 2t?

if i wanted to race in an smx open class I could but that would limit the power:weight advatage against the 450s etc

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I didnt race at all last year and barely rode so i guess ill see what i can do on an xr100 come june 6th (race 1) and go from there. no reason to play with big bikes if i cant do it on a small one

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

Well, just bought a 2021 250 xc-w TPI today. Has just a couple hours on it. Guy decided he wants a Harley instead.

Now I need to figure out shipping. Then, new foot pegs, new tires, rad guard, fan, put on my clake 2 and some handguards and I'll be all set.

So pretty 😍

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Corked, my 500 had no problem registering 100 on the speedo, now it can do it even easier. Idk how fast it goes because the speedo stops at 100 which took me awhile to figure out. I'd glance down and be doing 100 and go oh oops and after the 5th time I started to think it was awfully weird I always caught myself exactly at 100.

Definitely do the mods because the flameouts are annoying AF and it really makes things better.

My sumo wheels are still not made yet so I'm not gonna have them until May some time =(

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

dema posted:

Oh, I always want more power. And easier to ride is double extra good. Just don't want to do it right away. Too many times I've fallen into the trap where I get something new, throw a bunch of money into upgrades and like, I don't even really appreciate them because I don't really know the baseline.

I waited a full year before I modded my bike because I wanted to get used to it stock. The cost isn't all that much, only takes a few minutes to do, and it makes the bike so much more rideable.

Like lol wheelies and all that because I'm dumb but essentially eliminating flameouts on its own is worth it. Getting a flame out in the middle of traffic sucks and is dangerous but it's annoying AF even in the driveway.

Also you're the only one on the planet that knows the bike stalled itself out and everyone just thinks you can't use a clutch

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did this the other day in my car. Of course since it’s a push button start AND stick, you can’t just turn the key and quickly hide your shame. The stick needs to be in neutral, clutch depressed, brake on, etc.

I got honked at like a motherfucker, an extremely shameful driving experience.

My car has that hill assist but it's always on and cannot be shut off except by disabling the stability and traction control. It takes a pretty steep incline to kick on but when it does it's 2 full seconds of brakes after you release the clutch and literally the only time I have stalled the car is on an assisted hill start. Then after the push button start dance, it's still two more seconds of hill assist

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

shacked up with Brenda posted:

This sounds like New England. To be fair, I also judge you for being from Denver.

White guys on ATVs drinking beer doesn't mean they're a lynching party.
Internet user winds himself up, posts unhinged comment about ??? in unrelated thread.

Yall need jesus

I think even in the most racist ruralest parts of new england a person of color broken down on a trail would get assistance, if just to get them out of town and move along

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

cursedshitbox posted:

Reading comprehension is hard aint it.

lets try that again.

Which yeah this could sound unhinged if I were a cishet white techbro. However I am not.

I grew up in this bullshit country with a racial slur for a name because of where my mother and I came from. Want to make your isolationist podunk sundown-town great again? by all means, go for it. I'll visit when it becomes a ghost town like so many others in the history of this country.
Yep. Which is how 'sundown towns' got their name. I spent a few years living in one out of force, not by choice, hence the fun primary school nicknames that won't be repeated here.

Lastly, Jesus? Yeah I swore that off too. Besides the religion I was raised with does not jive with the predominant religion in this country. Especially post 9/11.

Anyfuckingway. I wasn't gonna touch the poo but here we are. I have no dirtbike content to help offset this derail.

You appear to be suffering from sundown syndrome though I am not a doctor of medicine

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

I like my dirt bike. It is very good and fun.

I love all of those bikes, come to my house and let's go

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

ChocNitty posted:

I need some feedback on something. Basically I did a full day dirt bike tour in Thailand, and it was kind of a hosed up experience, and i'm just not sure if its my fault, or the tour companies fault, so getting others thoughts would help get some perspective. It's a long story though.

This company offered 3 hour and an all day dirtbike tour, but they heavily recommend the all day tour. They had ATV tours but only for 3 hours. I know the 3 hour tour would feel too short because I did other 3 hour tours that felt too short. This place advertised it caters to any skill level, beginners, intermediate, and advanced, and that it would accommodate whatever skill level you were. Many of the reviews were people saying they had never been on a dirtbike or even a regular motorcycle before, and had a great 5 star time. Reviewers said they got an hour of training, one said they got 2 hours of training. And this business is being advertised to tourists just looking to have fun.

I drove a honda cb750 for about 6 months. I'm an avid cyclist, with over 10k miles logged on strava. I own a pretty powerful e-mountain bike, and ride on beginner mountain bike trails at a pretty quick speed. Havent crashed on a bicycle in over 10 years. So I figured if all these people who have never even been on a motorcycle before, absolute beginners, had a great experience, then there's no reason I shouldn't either.

I didn't get any real training. There was a little practice turn and straight away in an area the size of a small gas station that they recommended I ride around which I did alone for 5 minutes, and the instructor spent a minute explaining how to shift, which I didn't understand because of the language barrier, and that was it, we started the tour. I eventually acquainted myself with shifting through some trial and error during the ride. I did not protest for more proper training because I knew the language thing would be a problem, so instead I made it clear that lets ride slow for the first hour, and figured i'd get the hang of it myself like i've done with countless things like jet skiing, snow boarding, ice skating, etc.

I was the only one on that tour that day, which was a blessing, because I fell off the bike about 12-13 times. I'm not joking, or exaggerating on that number whatsoever. I did the best I could. I hung in there on the route for 5 and a half hours until my strength was gone and had to throw in the towel and we had to get back on the highway to get back to the tour company, and when we got back, it was about the same time as the tour would have been if I was able to complete the route.

Was I an idiot who just bit off way more than I could chew? Do I just suck more than the average first timer? Or was it the tour guide and companies mistake?

About 50 percent of the terrain I was able to handle without struggling. Some if it I was able to do just barely, and some of it I would try and crash, and a couple of spots looked so gnarly to me that I didn't even take the risk to try. We rode through loosely packed sand that almost half the wheel would sink into. I had a real problem with that, and the way it made my bike wobble like a fish on fishing line. We went through big puddles that were knee high, that I was surprised didnt flood the engine. We went on trails no wider than the tires, short bridges barely wider than the tire. Ditches that were difficult to spot. There were very tight turns in dense forest and jungle.There were downhill and uphill parts you had to attack at an angle. There were areas where I had to ride in a previous riders tire track just right, and if I strayed two inches to the side, i'd hit the lip of their tire trail and lose control of the bike and crash. There was recent heavy rain, and heavy rain for 30 minutes in the middle of the tour. There were just a lot of challenges with the terrain that I don't know the terms to explain. Lots of deep grooves and ridges that would make me lose traction and control of the bike.

I realized that the faster i'd go, the more stability i'd have, but I also knew that one high speed crash would likely end the tour right there, cause expensive damage to their bike and possible big fines for me, and maybe seriously injure myself. I was able to get up and keep going after a dozen crashes because they happened at low speed. I realized that much of the difficult terrain required confidence, because you had to go fast and couldn't stop. I did not have the experience that creates such confidence. And after so many crashes, I couldn't fool myself into being confident.

The tour guide was very frustrated with me, as I was with him. He was frustrated with how many times I crashed. And how he had to turn around and help me get the bike back up some of the time. He was frustrated with how slow I was going, and how it would gently caress with our route and timing. He was frustrated with the couple spots I refused to ride through and had him ride my bike through it. He was frustrated with me burning up the clutch, or not being in the right gear. He was frustrated with me getting the bike stuck when stopping in a soft spot. He was frustrated with me using the brakes too much when going downhill and us having to stop and pour water to cool down the brake calipers. He was frustrated with me for asking stupid questions like what to do about my goggles getting fogged up. And he was frustrated with the language barrier as much as I was, and how awkward it made the lunch with just us two.

I was frustrated with how far he rode ahead of me, and how impatient he was. I was frustrated how he stayed far ahead of me after passing forks in the trail, and having to toss a coin and guess which way he went, then finding out I probably guessed wrong, and having to wait and honk my horn for him to find me, then him being upset and asking me why I didn't see which way he went, and me not being able to tell him its because he's too far away and that my eyes need to be on the terrain i'm struggling with, because of the language barrier. I was frustrated how he let us get separated 5 times. I was frustrated how he would say I was too scared when I refused to try a steep uphill part, because I knew he wouldn't understand if I tried to explain to him that I didn't want to break their bike.

I was frustrated how after he saw me fall off the bike 12 times, he continued to lead me into terrain that just kept increasing in difficulty. I was frustrated how when a vine got caught on my boot and made me crash, he told me I crashed because I hit the front break too hard, and shook his head in disbelief when I pointed at the vine and told him thats what made me crash.

I was frustrated how he didn't seem to realize that my strength and hydration level was at a much different level than his because he fell off his bike a dozen fewer times than I did. I was frustrated with feeling like a weak pussy for asking to stop to catch my breath and drink water so I wouldn't get a heat stroke, because he didn't call for a water break like a competent guide would have done. I was frustrated when he told me that 98 percent of riders were able to do something I was unable to do. I was frustrated with the feeling that this was his tour and that I was just a tag along, instead of it being my tour. I was frustrated by the fact that not having any other customers to worry about should have only made it easier for him to accommodate my skill level, yet he didn't, or was unable to.

There were a handful of moments of saying "Are you loving serious?" to myself when seeing a new area of terrain we were riding into, and even laughing out loud because it started to get so ridiculous and surreal that it was funny. Then we started going up a forest mountain. Going through areas that I could not physically get my tall and slightly wide body through without shrubbery stopping me. Big rocks sticking out of the ground, thick roots crossing the path, vines hanging around me, all kinds of poo poo in narrow and steep uphill and downhill turns. Areas where I doubt weekend hikers would walk through. Areas I saw nor heard any other dirt bikers around, where I had seen others earlier in the tour.

Since my strength was depleted and the ride was only getting more challenging I had no choice but to call time. Because of this abrupt and unexpected end, in order to get back on the road fastest, he had us bike through 5ft tall bushes. There was no dirt or ground below me, only the bush I was riding over. I could only see the next bush in front of me a foot away. But finally we got to the road and I at least got to end the tour with some chilled out on road riding.

After showering, changing my clothes, and having a cold drink (the company did these other aspects well), I decided to give the tour guide a tip. As a peace offering, and because I know regardless of who's at fault, it was a hard as gently caress day for him too and he's not paid much. But he must have been pretty upset with me because he didn't even try taking the frown off his face when I handed him 3 days of pay. They didn't fine me for bike damage, and I don't think they're going to try to mail me a fine, so I appreciate that. I know I hosed up the horn button, and I think I broke what were turn signal buttons. And I likely added many new scratches to the fairing and maybe a dent on the exhaust.

Try comparing this to your first time on a dirtbike, and not to your current experienced selves now. A part of me feels they hosed up by not giving me at least an hour of training, and did not put me on a route that was suitable for my skill level. But another part of me feels like I was naive and foolish to even do this for a first time ride, and that the company isn't responsible for user reviews that I let influence my decision to do it.

I wouldn't be like, hey come learn guitar, I cater to beginners. oh this is the first time you've had a guitar in your lap? go ahead and tune to open e, capo the 5th fret, and go ahead and strum a nice folk chord progression so we can use that for your awesome travis meeks acoustic solo. Dude wtf are you doing? Why is the guitar facing the ceiling? 98 percent of students did this just fine.

try squeezing the bike more with your legs and keep your hands light

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

the first time i rode a dirt bike it was my little sisters rm85 and i whiskey throttled it from a stop to both wheels off the ground upside down off a dirt pile into a briar patch and ive never been the same since

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

not sure if thats my fault or my sisters tbh, thoughts?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

bicycles loving suck

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Ah bin ridin fer FIFTEEN YURS, dirt bike edition

Some people spend their whole lives sticking absolute rear end at riding bikes and never improving, it's not an MMO, time and miles alone don't automatically give improvement.

Its not just bikes, it's anything. You're gonna suck at some stuff forever, sometimes it's motorcycles, sometimes its being a decent human being

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

You guys ever seen this stuff on television? Super Cross I think is the name. It should be called Super Crucifix for how much they thank Jesus ha ha. Wish there was a thread to talk about it in.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

It already exists, vtnewb, deeters, myself, builds character, all "participate" in it annually but I don't remember the login info

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The supermotocross track looks really good and fast but it's just first qualifying so hard to say

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Tomac's wife dropping sick lines in a segment... "it's our maybe last A1"

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Tonight's supermotocross is a triple crown for the rain delayed Anaheim II

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Super early cross it seems tonight

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I turned on the peacock app at 705pm est and the 250 heat 1 gate was literally dropping, didn't even see a Miami 30 second girl trot off

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Wow congrats to the 450 winner (no spoilers) for an amazing job and really putting in the work

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

P wild Sexton crash in the main race with 5.5 mins left lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

For like the fourteenth race in a row.

On the other hand, at least Webb didn't win again.

Worth noting that Webb did NOT thank the Lord Jesus Christ tonight

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Daytona tonight, theoretically tomac webb and sexton can be tied for first place and get the red plate which would be the funniest ending

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Holy gently caress that 450 finish I love it

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I have a harbor freight one I used to haul my xr100 sumo biek to the track on my Honda pilot but I would never have put a bigger biek on it. Builds character has or had one iirc that was rugged and robust and idk what the name of it was but it was like twice the cost of the HF one and seemed worth every dollar

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know who was crying more, me or ken

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Roczen, with a good start, will win tonight..

Cooper Webb is going to crash into Tomac and both of their bikes are going to explode and they will retire forever.

You heard it here first

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Jesus lol this 250 heat 1 violence is hilarious

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Deeters posted:

I'll accept it if Barcia explodes too

Barcia is one of the most likeable charismatic riders out there, just a goofy long haired bum

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Geoff Fox, Physics PhD, founder Fox Racing

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I've never felt this bad for a man with a mustache before

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Cole seely is racing 450s tonight

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Also 41 people registered for 450s so only one person will fail to qualify for the night show lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

"Once the gate drops, the BS stops" Cooper Webb,2023