Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
"The power valves can and do stick if they're not ridden regularly, or grannied. it'll have nooo bottom end when they stick."

True story, mine did this and it was either chug chug or full blown on the pipe. A rider buddy of mine rode it and said it made it so hard to ride that it dropped him down to B or C level rider trying to. Also every bike you see on craigslist = 2 stroke has a recent top end. 4 stroke, valves have just been checked and were in spec. Coming from someone who rode an XR80 back in the day and got into dirt bikes late. You want a 250 4 stroke. Go with a WR250F or CRF250X, both e-start and good starter bikes. I started on a 200EXC and the learning curve between 4 and 2 strokes is vastly different. 2 strokes are cray. 4 strokes definitely more forgiving. Hoping to get a new bike this year, starting to lean towards 4 strokes even though 2 strokes are amazeballs fun. Just my 2 cents.

VTNewb posted:

Dual sport rider spotted

lmao, truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

ChewedFood posted:

The mentality of new riders needing very small bikes is ridiculous.

How so? As a new rider a smaller bike is going to let you build your confidence more quickly and be way more forgiving. Even if you've been on the street for awhile and know how to ride motorcycles. Dirt is completely different. So you want to toss a newb dirt rider on a YZ450F throw him on some single track? He's going to hate riding dirt and hate you. Beginners on dirt should go smaller e-start 4 stroke or smaller 2 stroke. Honestly having done the beginner thing and started out on a 200 even that was possibly a bit of a mistake that has hindered my learning curve. Hoping to get a new bike this year and seriously thinking of switching up to a 250 e-start 4 stroke.

EX250 Type R posted:

Obviously I wouldn't seriously tell another grown man to ride an xr100 but don't discount small and slow when it comes to building a foundation for new skills.

I would, riding smaller bikes is super fun. We have a little series here that runs sometimes called Chiva Kenieval that is all about grown rear end men riding XR100's or 110's or whatever on small MX tracks/single track. It's awesome.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Also a lot depends on what you ride. If you're into single track and whatnot a 250 going to be much better imo for starting out on. Much more forgiving and easier to ride than a 450. Already riding in dirt and knowing how to ride then it's pretty much figure out what you like. We're just talking about beginners here. But yeah on the street bike to dirt bike rider thing, vastly different no matter what they ride on the street. Also it's not so much as start out on a small bike OR U GONE DIE type thing like the sportbike guys or whatever. It's mostly that you're going to crash. Do you want to crash with a light bike with e-start? Or a heavy loving bike that's kick start only? Alternately you're going to end up being wonky on the throttle. Do you want that throttle to get you to light speed in 2 seconds or give you some time to recover?

I do mostly woods and single track so next bike will be a 250. I realllllly like my 2 stroke, but I honestly think my learning curve, confidence, and abilities will increase with a 4 stroke. You can get away with a lot more on them. I tested out my buddies 250XC-F for a few hours the other day. By the end of the day I took two vids, one of my 200 and one of the 250 and put them on the same spot in the trail. I gapped myself by like 2 seconds on the 250 in roughly a mile, probably less, and it didn't feel like I was going as fast as I go on my 200. Crazy.

Anyhow, :cheers: have fun on ur dual sport riding dirt roads gnar. :p

edit: That's awesome on the sumo part. Super fun I've done that on 110's with street tires and in full leathers. Feel all ricky racer dragging knee at 15mph around corners and whatnot. Super fun stuff.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Training grounds!! 250 4T vs. 200 2T and other misc stuff from this past weekend.

http://youtu.be/33IBB3m54E8

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

PoopSok posted:

Nice man, how did you like the 4T?

I liked it. Would like to ride a 250XC too for comparison but the 4t was good stuff. Still on fence on next bike but leaning more towards a 250XC-F right now.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Little Whiskey Throttle for your day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh6NzuEttto

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Hayyyy, new bike time. 2012 KTM250XC-F

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Sunday ride day with a bunch of street bike bros all getting dirt bikes n stuff now. First time out on the new 250 for me. Going from 2 smoke and rekluse to 4 stroke and no rekluse was different, but definitely fun. Good times! Oh and little bro who wrapped himself and his bike in the thorn bush was ok. Also guessing I'm officially Wan's bike starter upper dude. Had more footage but go pro battery went flat. Should have changed it before second go out on trails.

https://youtu.be/fbSmArWbWIM

Silver fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 5, 2015

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

cursedshitbox posted:

Is your power valve adjusted right and not sticking?

That's what I would say look at too. My 200 was like an on/off switch when it hit power band but the power valve was way gummed up. Sucks but if you're going to have it all apart might as well do a top end and clean power valve out good. Was awesome after that.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
New bike time, awww yeah.

https://youtu.be/jBnlwk1ceqI

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

predictive posted:

I'm pretty excited about buying this:

2004 KTM 200EXC (from the ad). I paid $1600. It kickstarted fairly easily, but wouldn't idle until it ran for 3-4 minutes (not sure if that's normal for a two stroke, or if I need to clean the carb). From what I can tell it needs a brake fluid flush and bleed, and front brake pads. It has a Protaper bar and FMF full exhaust, whatever that means.

He threw in a helmet, goggles, jersey, pants, a stand, two spark plugs, an extra kickstarter arm and two bottles of oil, so I feel like it was a pretty decent deal. Now I need to go buy some boots tomorrow and ride it.

That was my starter bike as well. Yer in for a ride lmao. 200's are a blast, one thing is that it will hinder your learning curve a bit, 4 stokes are just easier to ride. But with a 2 strokes you'll really have to learn how to ride vs. tottering around on a 4t being lazy. So that's good. Are you planning on doing Moto-X or trails? If trails I would highly recommend getting bark busters. Save those digits yo. Also for about 35 bucks you can pick up an hour meter that will give you hours and has a button so you can see what RPM it's running. My front brake always seemed to go soft as well, common issue with those bikes. What ratio mix are you using? Also did the owner say when the top end had been done last? The ad has been deleted so didn't get any info from it if it was posted in there. Also one cool thing about buying used bikes is normally you get a ton of extra parts for them when you buy them. The guy I sold my bike to got a ton of stuff. Same as my 2012 came with a ton of extra parts as well. FMF full exhaust will be nice. Is it the FMF fatty pipe? Protaper bars are ok, I prefer renthal, actually the stock bars so far have been my preferred bend from what I've ridden.

Have fun, enjoy, and be ready for the bug eating grin a 2 stroke puts on everyones face. :cheers:

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh6NzuEttto

Silver fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 4, 2015

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Dorking around this past Sunday, still learning the clutch as you can tell. Clearing trails. Oh and cussing a lot as always. Whoo!

https://youtu.be/DO6I01wzk_4

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Watsabi posted:

I am pretty sure it is Fly Kinetic gear from 2012.... I've been working with dirtbike gear way too long.

Ding, winner. :) 50 percent off rack!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

predictive posted:

Yeah, after watching some of the best riders in the world unable to make it through that section, I wondered if the course designers will think "Hey, maybe we should tone this poo poo down next year." I'm all for challenge, but I wanted to watch enduro *riding* in addition to enduro dirt-bike-pulling.

Pretty sure the owner/promoter of the event has said before that he wants a race that no one can finish. Toughest race in the world.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

builds character posted:

That's a stupid thing to want - I'd much rather see folks pushed up to the limit of what they're capable of but with the possibility of success.

Pretty much shooting for that but also wants it to be the absolute toughest race on the circuit every year as well. If you watched it (checkout redbull tv if you haven't) this year that kinda did actually happen, it was too hard. The ending was good though nice to see that kind of camaraderie.

Crazy race, I wanna go spec it sometime.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Just the crashes/hero moment. Will do a longer video later, but p sure this is all you wanted to really see. lol. First 2 crashes were in the first 15 minutes of riding. Hero moment would have been a 3rd bad crash but I hit the gas instead of the brakes (You don't care but GO ME instead of hitting brakes and hucking myself over the bars I did the right thing and hit gas and leaned back, considering the start of my day, that was a hero moment) then last one was just a fall over after riding for a bit, but yep done. :)

Basically after talking with a veteran rider I messed up by not going slower at the very start and checking track conditions. I was AMPED to be out riding and just went 100% right off the bat. Should have taken some time to warm up more before going full blast. Also lol while driving to track I thought to myself "Hrm, I haven't even dropped the 250 yet" ung famous last words. Oops.

https://youtu.be/q5Z19EQxe4E

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Yeah, what n8 said. With it straight up and down even tilted back as far as it will go if you're not sitting the whole time it's going to get a lot of the front fender/bars when you're standing. Good one n8 though I never even thought to flip it, I just use helmet mount and call it good.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Suspension can make a world of difference. Put in all the crashes and stuff right at the start, then side by side video of suspension all wonky and then after my bro gets it lined out for me. *caution* as always language warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrnP9TeTVoU

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

VTNewb posted:

Been doing the NETRA endure series this year. Only a couple of them are serious time keeping affairs, like what's about to happen tomorrow.

Our series completely did away with time keepers now, we're all restart format. Like a bunch of mini hare scrambles with transfer sections in between.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

Unrelated, I went to the Ozark 100 miler. It was very wet and cold. I only ended up finishing 50 miles (two laps). Course was fun, but the rain and cold got to me and I did not finish the last moto. The night race was a blast to watch the pros and others that qualified. They had a hill in the night race that threw off most of the pros even. A lot of struggling riders on that rocky hill.

Nice! Had a buddy that went to that and raced, think he made it about 60, but didn't qualify for the night ride. Said it was nuts poo poo.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

VTNewb posted:

We still do timekeeping, but have moved to restart format like the Nationals for some races.

Ditch the timekeeping ones. BJEC doesn't do any timekeepers anymore. The restart format will appeal more to the hare scramble riders as well. Also as for difficult level, do you mean in terrain or distance? Most hare scramble guys I know like the flow terrain/trails. Toss them at a bunch of first gear rock climbs and they'll prob hate life and you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Wolfs Den Round 1, trailrider edition. Dirtnewb (Feat. http://woods-bro.com/ - Jon). I haven't been on the bike since December, and came out to do trailriders race much thanks to Brady and TBT suspension. This is the video of my spodeness. It features Woods-bro at the start where he tells me that I'm getting ready to start (Thanks man, didn't notice). Again at the point before I wadded it trying to follow him. As well as the end where he passes me again and if I'd known it was him I wouldn't have pulled over. Anyhow, I cuss a lot, I cuss him a lot, and I had a great time!

https://youtu.be/OcaS-JRImBY