Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.
Riding: Every weekend for 4 years. Don't race as much anymore, but still do the occasional enduro or cross country. Otherwise, I look for the hardest most hosed up looking single track I can find.
Bike: '07 Honda 250x
Terrain: Single track and more single track. As high in the Sierras as the snow will allow. If the snow keeps us out of there, we head to the coastal hills.
Other stuff: My youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/tapeleg3
123 videos and counting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.
Here's a quick video of the first segment of trail on a ride I did last weekend.
http://youtu.be/_fcI-52B4tQ

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

Gullous posted:

You take great lines in the rough stuff, you just hop over the worst of it. The elevation looks really fun, too. One of these days...

It looks pretty smooth along the ridge. Are there any switchbacks going down the hill?

Thanks! I'm of the mind that line choice is more important than out right speed most of the time. If I can stay out of nasty stuff I will, but I think it's also good to be willing to just confront a large obstacle and go right over it. This works really well in big rock gardens. You can pick a smooth line for a while but if you see a kink in it because of a good sized rock or something, it's usually easier just to hop over that obstacle and continue on your line rather than to risk the front wheel disruption of turning around them.

The place I'm riding at is kind of different than most of the riding we have around this area. There are two mountain ranges, the Sierra Nevadas and the coastal range. The coastal range is much smaller getting to a maximum of something like 6k feet whereas the Sierras get up to 12k or so. This place is in the coastal range. There is much more erosion, ruts and nasty bushes that like to stab you here. The 'trail' I'm on just sort of cruises along the road and then later on there's a bunch of things dropping down into canyons. There is one huge nasty loop out there that's about 16 miles of all first/second gear with about a million and one switch backs. It's really fun but it will beat the piss out of you.

But anyway, if you ever make it down to California out of your overly wet state, I'd be more than happy to show you some awesome places here.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

Silver posted:

So, most of the races and whatnot around here have 40+ divisions. Yes, this year I'll be turning 40(*sigh*), so thinking well I might enter a few of those too, who knows. Then I see this vid of the 40+ OCCRA race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg87UdoFnic

gently caress you 40+ division. I'll stay in beginner or amateur. eeeesh.

Thing about 40+ is that it's filled with a bunch of dudes that have been racing their whole life. They may be old, but they still know how to ride loving fast.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Cross posted from CP&V

I think this is the one time quads have the leg up on bikes. The quads just walk through that stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jInmJ2WeBEM&feature=related

This is from a ride of mine a few months back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p7kGvLnu3s&t=9m5s

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

Silver posted:

It actually was a really fun trail. My thing is I'm still new and this was only my second time there so I had no idea what to expect. Backstory on me telling Bob "Don't think bob, stop thinking" was because this was actually one of the tougher parts of the red trail, but when we were getting on it it was "I think this is one of the easy parts" and the only thing I said I didn't want to do that day was steep uphills, that part had a good 3 or 4 that were WHOA gently caress steep to me and one was roots all over the top of it so I was bouncing around like a mad man on top. Made it through it all but drat if I wasn't "gently caress YOU BOB" lol.

At the end of the video where you hear me bitching it might sound like I'm mad but I'm not really. Bob and I are good bros and we banter like that a poo poo ton. I call him one of my other wives because we bitch back and forth like that so much. I listened to it again and was thinking "Hrm, I actually sound kind of mad there" which really I was like "gently caress this red trail and gently caress you Bob" lol but as bros go by the time we got back to the blue trail I was over it.

Long day of loving riding. Most I've done really thus far. Serious case of noodle arms. I need to get in better shape. I have video of pretty much the whole red trail and a lot of the blue trail but I'm slow and to anyone else it'd be boring as gently caress, so not posting that.

My main thing right now is experience and learning to assess things and my ability to handle them. As that gets better I won't care about not knowing what comes up next as much. As for that day, sweet gently caress I made it up some hills that if I had had another way to get around them there would have been NO WAY I would have tried them. I just used the "Go for it and pray" method there.

Practice bike skills before or after you go ride trails and such. Play around on rocks, hills and such right around your truck. Do this for a good 30 minutes every time you go ride and you will find that your skills will improve quickly. Focus on the things that worry you when you ride. The kind of things you don't want to come along on a trail. For me when I first started I was really scared of very steep downhills because I was worried I would gain too much speed and not be able to slow down again. I started looking for steep but short drops and tried to regulate my speed throughout. Basically I got a lot more comfortable with when and how much to use my front brake and realised that hey I won't wash my front all the time if I have weight on the front tire. Control your practice environment and disarm the obstacles that nag at you and you will improve significantly. If you have questions about any particular things on trails or in riding feel free to ask. I really, really fell in love with dirt biking when I lost any fear of obstacles and simply started reacting to things out of instinct rather than prethinking it. Once you reach that point it because fun on entirely different level.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

When you're in the hospital, I'll take that bike off your hands

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I feel like I made out pretty good. I'm pretty clueless on the mechanical side of things for now, but as far as I can tell the bike has been pretty well taken care of. I know the previous owner raced it and kept up with the maintenance really well, along with installing a few aftermarket parts. It has been ridden pretty hard, but isn't in bad shape at all.

Looks like a decently clean bike. Definitely recommend a kick stand unless you want to find trees when you're out riding and have the bike accidentally fall over once in a while. Also if you intend on riding trails a skid plate would be a wise investment.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

A YZ450 is a lot of bike. Much more than your average rider is ever going to utilize, let alone need. I suggest finding a 250. Depending on your skill level and what you intend on riding you may want to scale that back to a trail(ish) bike like a WR or a honda 250x or something. A moto bike is really excessive for general loving around. Just my two cents though. Tons of people do it anyway

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

I don't know about anything as old as an 03 but a riding buddy of mine had an 08 that I got to ride several times. It's a solid enough bike, but it generally felt like something was off while riding it. I couldn't really say what that was, but in general everyone I speak to about the bike feels the same way. It's just an odd feeling bike without a real thing to pin point that on. I would definitely try to ride it before pulling the trigger. This may not matter to you as much either, but the the te250s are very anemic off the bottom. They don't have good power anywhere but in the midrange.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

04/05 CRFs have terrible valves that constantly fall out of adjustment. If you're going to get a Honda, try to get an 07 or newer.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

Red sticker is only used at certain OHV areas. I think Hollister down by you is one of them, but for the most part there's nearly no restrictions for red sticker. It's more a so cal thing

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

What a loving day. A buddy of mine took a header off a 15 foot cliff and landed on his hip in a pile of rocks. Could barely stand on his leg. We had to baby him back for 15 miles of side-hill tough single track to get back to the truck. Never had to ride a section, walk back to another bike, then ride that bike through so many tough sections of trail in my life. About half way back, the other guy that was with us had his throttle cable break the ball off the cable. So we went macguyver and used a zip tie through a knot we tied into the end of the cable to create a loop that he wrapped around his thumb to pull the throttle. We then drove a stick into the grip slide to hold into place so he could actually get some purchase on his bars. Dude rode back literally pulling a cable with his thumb for throttle on his yz250 for 7-8 miles of tough trail. Tons of respect to both of my friends for making it out of there. What a poo poo day. I've never seen a throttle cable snap before, let alone right in the middle of dealing with an injury that made me think seriously about triggering my spot.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

Can't tell if I see a skid plate or not. If not, get one. The stock engine guards are crap. What year is it? Judging by the light it's 06 or older. A good purchase is a battery tender and just leave the thing always hooked up trickle charging. If you buy new shift levers ever, don't get a hammerhead. Something about the hammerheads on the WR don't fit quite right and so it comes loose very easily.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

I live about 2 1/2 hours from there. I have an extra bike if you want to go ride.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

Where you going?

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

Yeah I've never been. Heard it's okay, just super tiny. Like 13 miles of total trail there.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

Holy poo poo I'm excited. For various reasons I've been able to ride about two times this summer and just now I've finally gotten my bike back together. Had an episode replacing the rear sprocket where the bolts seized up and required drilling to get them out. Heard about that happening with people but have never been so lucky as to have to deal with it myself. Either way, the fucker is on and I'm going riding this weekend. Amazing how a month without riding will make you go crazy and start jonesin for good trail.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

I would say they are less important on trails but really no dollars spent on safety is wasted money when it comes to riding. I would rather spend the coin on a good set of knee braces than a neck brace if you don't have either though. I ride exclusively on trails and I have your normal gear, boots, knee braces, neck brace, elbow guards but don't use a chest protector. I also spend $40/yr on life flight insurance and I bring a GPS emergency signal with me in my camelbak just in case. All of that stuff is great to not ever need, but I would feel scared not having it. As far as what kind of neck brace I would say a Leatt. They've always been the staple brand and I've never had an issue with them or heard a negative thing about them.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

VTNewb posted:

The 2011 250 XC is now ready to go for the year:
We rebuild the top end
replaced the starter motor and completed the 'wet' mod for longetivity (remains to be seen)
replaced the rear brake lever bearings
rebuild the rear master cylinder
added a flywheel weight
New carb hoses (heh)

My '14 250 XCF-W's is ALMOST ready for spring racing:
I adjusted the valves
New chain and sprockets
New grips
Greased the wheel bearings and steering head bearings

The suspension is out for a revalve and a freshening up and I'm considering buying bib mousse this year because I suffered a couple flats last year

I probably have another month of waiting for VT riding, but I hope to head south a few times when the bike is all back together. In the mean time, mountain bike cross training and the last vestiges of back country skiing.

Sorry if you've talked about this recently but I haven't looked at this thread in a couple of years - what trials tire are you running? I've tried most at this point and have settled on either the Pirelli or the shinko as the best for me but curious what you think since you race such vastly different terrain than I do. Shinko is kind of hard to find but the cheapest in cost at about 70 bucks. It's a decent compromise between a knob and a tt but still offers terrible side grip. Lasts a lifetime too.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

VTNewb posted:

I use the Pirelli simply because the one pictured has over 20 races on it. They last for god drat ever. I don' really use them myself though unless I'm Turkey Running or dual sporting. Knobby for racing for me.

Well that's good to hear. I'm using the Pirelli currently but it's the first time I've tried it. Hooks up about the same as the others but I don't have enough rides on it to speak to its life span yet but if you've put that kind of pressure on to the one in the picture then I guess I have nothing to worry about. Makes me wonder what the hell dunlops deal is cause you're lucky to get 300 miles on to one of theirs before the chunking begins.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

I have the 250fx and it was the best drat bike buy I've made yet. Coming off a Honda 250x it was like shedding 100 pounds of bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

I ran an ‘07 250x for about 400 hours and other than routine oil changes, redoing the valves every couple hundred hours that thing was a solid machine. I had some jetting issues but that’s a thing of the past now. Granted I ride really tight woods/mountain terrain here where third gear is a luxury. I raced a season of d36 hare scrambles on that bike as well. I’m assuming the build quality is still pretty solid as long as you’re not punishing the bike too much and keep on your routine maintenance. I wish you luck with how god damned heavy that bike rides though.