Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Or it's ready to explode! I'd feel much better buying a used two smoke than a 4t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
unless it's super super cheap I'd pass. I have an 09 yz450 and it was a pretty dumb choice to be honest. I wanted to get a 250 but couldn't find a shop willing to deal on them (wonder why... they're considerably more popular than the 450s for good reason!). The bike is overpowered for the dirt and my skill level, and it's heavy compared to more reasonably powered bikes.

Don't get me wrong it's an absolute riot to ride, it's just waaaaay too much bike. Us mere mortals can't really make use of the extra power, so why deal with the extra weight and slightly sluggier handling that comes along with it?

Now that it sounds like sumo trackdays are coming back to the area my yz is likely going to be converted, and I'll pick up a smaller woods 2t for putting around in the dirt :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

In 09 I think it was they went to a fatter axle.

:saddowns: this is correct. Really limits your pickings on used poo poo for sumo swaps.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Oh god what have I done.

Oh my. Welcome to the yamaha cult :whatup:

WR450? Thought you were looking for a 250?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Finally rode dirt for the first time in almost three months. Felt great to get out there but holy crap I'm hilariously out of shape and my (very meager) skills have deteriorated. Need more ride time!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Finally got back out in the dirt yesterday. We actually got rain (one of the driest summers on record this year!) so the track and woods were AWESOME. Super hooked up.

And because it's been so drat long since I last rode, I'm rediscovering all those little stabilizer muscles you forget exist... OUCH.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Jealous :fap:

I'm 100% certain my next dirtbike will be a KTM, just gotta decide between the two smokers... the 300xc-w is calling my name but I've already gone down the road of 'way too much fuckin power' with my current bike, a yz450.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Zool posted:

Also, it works, but I had no idea how much my MX bike blows in the woods until I rode it back to back with a 450XC-W.

This. This this this this this.

I had the chance to rice a 250xc-w after riding my YZ450 all day. I was completely blown away how much easier it was to snake through the woods than my mx based big bike. Softer suspension, much lighter, narrower... Much nicer in the woods.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
My yz450 was a complete royal bitch to start until a got a handful of hours on it. I am no stranger to kicking big bikes to life either. A good chunk of the time I kick started my 625 for fun when I still had it. The YZ now generally fires in a few kicks.

And yeah, it's entirely too much bike for basically any situation. Doubly so for a new rider.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Someone talk me out of dumping my yz450 for a 300xcw, please :ohdear:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
yep I am too big of a pussy to huck myself through the air on a motocross track any more (I've always sucked at it anyway) and much prefer woods riding to begin with. couple that with the fact I am going to make myself do a couple hare scrambles this year regardless of what bike I'm on.... the 300 seems like a decent choice. can't wait to get my 2smoke back on!

n8r the xcw has the direct link shock and no gas cartridges in the forks like the xc does.. it's set up a little softer but is more compliant for slow riders like me lol

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

VTNewb posted:

More knee boom

Welcome to the club! :suicide:

Silver posted:

Couple of riding vids.

Super Sekkret riding area with bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRww27pYiNM

Super Sekkret riding area, different day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmLfXWBKcFA

I'm slow, but I have fun. :cheers:

Your in ride commentary is awesome

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Ramsus posted:

I'm getting sick of this CRF450R. When I'm able to afford it I'm going to upgrade to a KTM 300 xc or xc-w. Cheaper maintenance and I ride woods mostly anyways.

I'm in the same boat as you... My yz450 is a beast of a bike but I mainly stick to woods and trails. Doesn't hurt
I've been drooling over KTM smokers ever since I started riding dirt.

...anyone in iowa want a good deal on a nice low hours yz450? Haha

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Silver posted:

What part of Iowa, talking with some buddies right now aobut maybe doing the Bartlett Enduro.

Central Iowa, looks like Bartlett is just south of Omaha? That's only a 2.5hr drive for me, not too bad. What weekend is the race? I've never done an enduro before but definitely want to get one or two under my belt this year. I have a buddy who wants to get started in racing as well.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Hrm... Decision time. Found a new 250xc-w for a great price (nearly 2k cheaper than the 300). If I am remembering correctly aren't those two bikes identical other than the cylinder and piston? Same frame, trans, gearing, etc that's quite tempting. I'm sure the 250 is more than enough bike but if its a little lacking a jug and piston swap would be relatively cheap and far less than the bump up to the 300s cost.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Decided to give the yz a second chance and attempt to make it more woods friendly. Have a gytr heavy flywheel on the way, considering slightly lower gearing (hoping the heavy flywheel will give it enough inertia to lug 3rd better, if it doesn't I'll throws a bigger rear sproket on). Also thinking about a throttle tube with a mellow cam. Couple hundred bucks < a new KTM :v:

Anyone use the Tubliss system? Looks badass, getting some new tires so now would be the time to make the switch.

BTW local dealer started carrying beta and had one of their 300s on display. Looked awesome.

needknees fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 19, 2013

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
The flywheel kit for my 450 came in... Looks to be a standard flywheel with a heavily weighted sleeve tig welded on. I'll post some pics when I tear into it. Very interested to see how this makes the bike feel!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Silver posted:

Weekend of the race is Oct. 6th. Buddy who was there just a bit a go says the riding is awesome out that way.

Right now that weekend looks free for me... Tentatively planning on it! Do you normally camp out there or is it a generally a ride and gtfo type of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
First ride with the heavy flywheel... HOLY CRAP what a difference! I should have done this a long time ago. You can see just how much weight they added to it -

The bike is significantly easier to ride. It has more traction, tractors along at low revs up hills much better, and is waaaay tougher to stall. The stock flywheel is so drat light you really had to murder the clutch in tight stuff to keep the bike running. Still takes some clutch control for sure but it's much more forgiving with the heavier flywheel.

My ride ended a little early when I barely clipped a stump with my boot going maybe 20mph. It completely taco'd my boot, folding around/under the peg :gonk:. I stayed on the bike and didn't go down, but it wasn't very fun. Foot didn't hurt too bad at first so I kept riding. Going through some rough sand whoops along a river though... I knew something wasn't right. Couldn't put any pressure on it so the ride out of the woods was interesting to say the least. Figured I broke a metatarsal.

Got it xray'd and luckily it wasn't broken, just badly bruised and sprained. I'm in a jaunty rigid soled shoe and on crutches for awhile. It's already feeling much better but it kinda fuckered my vacation plans coming up :suicide: