Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This is the dirt thread bro the pavement pansies thread is that'away!

Western, WA
Two years dirt recently, two years as a kid
2009 YZ250F
Ride mostly seasonal lakes and dust clouds

P.S. Thumpertalk not being in the OP is silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

Did some trail riding at Walker Valley today. Ran into some nasty hail a couple hours after we got there so we decided to pack up and go. My truck almost didn't make it up the (gentle) hill, exiting the park.

Haha, I was at walker... come to think of it, pretty sure I saw you on the fire road.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gullous posted:

It was intense!

This man speaks modestly. I'm in awe of how much you've improved in the last year and the pace you are able to carry on that beast. My 250F whips me around in the dirt and rocks and makes me want to back off and ahead of me I can see you just blasting through gnarly terrain, laying down all 65 horsepower. It's an awesome sight!

I have no doubt you were on your way to podium before the Katoom went kaboom.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Two short videos from this weekend, riding some single track behind Zool and his bran new to him, mostly new to the world 2012 SXF 250

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrIx2SHyIsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd7W8UBGqwU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

invision posted:

How much can I get for a 98 yz125 with fresh rebuild?

Around here (Seattle area) $1600-1800 tops

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Every dirt bike on craigslist has had a 'fresh rebuild'.

Have fun in there! at least they're simple bikes.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

THIS YZ125 IS SO SCARY FAST
*BOOM*

hehehe

Sorry mang :( Short answer: Not a life savings worth, but more than you want.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sounds about as good as I could hope to do with a fully functioning bike. Sorry about the bummer race but good job sticking it out anyway.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Saga posted:

What is it with KTM? My duke II had the same chafing where the loom moves from the headlamp pod (where all the fuses are) to the chassis. IIRC I found out because if you turned the bars left to the lockstop the engine would stop.

To be fair, its a 690 Enduro and Gullous rides it like he stole it. That bike has had a hard, hard life.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

You say this and I can clearly see in my mind's eye him 30 feet off the trail, clods of dirt flying 30+ feet off the rear tire, blazing his own singletrack through the underbrush.

Or going straight through the puddles we skirted around.

Or ripping around a berm, giving it the beans, catching traction off a root, wheeling it straight into a tree and in one fluid motion restarting the engine, dropping the clutch and powering off down the trail like nothing happened. Headlight status = smithereened.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

VTNewb posted:

If it's before 02? or 03? It doesn't have auto decompression, but you can put the newer cam in and have it magically.

03, yeah.

Wheels are compatible, with different spacers, between 01-08 if memory serves. In 09 I think it was they went to a fatter axle.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

needknees posted:

:saddowns: this is correct. Really limits your pickings on used poo poo for sumo swaps.

I've got a sumo set for 01-08 and a 01 250F in boxes, and a 09 250F with a sumo race this weekend... :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's an 01-02, you can tell by the grab handles by behind the seat. Also, steel frame 01-05.

About drat time, now get out there get dirty and crash.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

loving awesome. Tell me everything about how well that works for you!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Here in the PNW its always a 1.5hr or 2.5/3hr format. loving brutal, but I love it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What I love about dirt racing, aside from the price, is that its year round and not weather dependent. Important in WA.

Plus its all hilariously redneck and half assed. Spending all summer at various track days with all the precautions and procedures, its so nice to just show up, get a strip of tape, grid up and bark buster your way between the old man and the small child stuck in the first mud trap in Open C.

Then, invariably as my luck goes this year, blow a tube 20 minutes later.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You just gotta do a better job of securing and stabilizing the front wheel. Really jam it into the truck. You have a ranger, I used to have a B4000 (same body) and you can jam the front wheel under the truck bed lip pretty securely. The trick is front wheel in as straight as you can, then you tweak the back end of the bike over. that way the bars are mostly straight.

Also if I have just the one bike and its got lots of room to move I'll throw an extra strap or two on the back of the bike.

Tailgate up is always nicer than tailgate down.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 24, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeaaaaahhhh I probably wouldn't give that a poo poo.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

How did he get so much air off the jump by the power line tower? Is he just hitting it at 50 mph or did somebody make it bigger?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If you want to learn more about Reiter and how Obama is the anti-christ and also a gun hating nazi, Thumpertalk has you covered in their regional section.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Trying to decide if I need a KTM 450 XC-F, 450 XCF-W or 500 EXC is driving me mad.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Silver posted:

Are you doing woods riding? 450/500 gonna heavier but prob not too much. No 2 stroke action? Kinda drooling for a 13 250 EX, buddy of mine just got one. Or the 350 is a nice in the middle bike, another buddy just got one of those too.

Need to read up more on the Honda 250L street legal version. Looked at it in the shop, doesn't sit as high as a WR250 and wondering how dirt worthy it is.

Woods, single track, double track, hare scrambles, supermoto, track days... problem is I do it all. I'm pretty set on a 450, though I'd love to have a go on a 350. Since I'm buying bran spanking new for the first time, I want to buy a bike with FI since its the new hotness and I love FI, which means no two strokes for now.

XCF = Motocross bike with a woodsy setup. Enduro racer.
XCF-W = Dual sport stripped of all the street legal stuff. Lower compression, lights, wider ratio transmission, kickstart + E-start, meant as near as I can tell as sort of a desert racer/dakar winner.
EXC = Street legal. They don't bother to make a 450 anymore since the 500 is 3.2lbs heavier than the 450. I don't care much about being street legal, except that eventually I'm going to get a full SM setup for this bike and in that case having a plate would be awesome... but all the extra hassle of street stuff (which I'm going to rip out anyway)

I just don't know.

I'm going to walk in on Saturday and leave with a 450 XCF and be happy as a clam. I just wish this was the kind of thing you could pop around a 5 mile loop out back and try them all back to back.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A 2013 KTM 450 XCF-W followed me home today.

6 speed transmission and being a bit more trail friendly won out. 6 Speed being the most important, for future SM duty.

Break in tomorrow!

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 30, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I know, right? No matter how careful of a new owner you are, there is just no way to possibly keep your dirt bike looking factory floor good. Take a few pictures, then hit the biggest nastiest puddle you can find right away and get over it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

First ride report: Holy poo poo so amazing

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

needknees posted:

This. This this this this this.

I had the chance to rice a 250xc-w after riding my YZ450 all day. I was completely blown away how much easier it was to snake through the woods than my mx based big bike. Softer suspension, much lighter, narrower... Much nicer in the woods.

I got there pretty quickly. I came from two MX bikes I was basically using as woods bikes. I loved them, because they are a raging good time, but I rarely got out to MX tracks and so I went full woods this time. The suspension is so much more trail compliant, and it's not just that it is set softer. I was hitting logs and rocks that would have really upset my MX bike and the XC-W just glided over them. Real eye opening.

Of course I've sacrificed weight savings and MX ability to have that. But I gained a overdrive 6th gear (fast enough that I chickened out and backed off way before top speed), a fan (no more boiling over on nasty single track!), an E-start (Oh how quick you become a slave to the magic button, all hail the magic button) and some basic conveniences like lights (meh, removing them) and a small gauge cluster with an ODO/Hour meter and speedo, and some sort of lap timer.

Aside from that, it's been harder to separate the other differences such as 250 v 450 (Similar power delivery, just a ton more of it, but I love 250 engines too), Japanese VS KTM components (Brembos, WP suspension, Hydraulic clutch).

I'll miss my MX bike, but for the riding I'm doing 95% of the time, the XC-W makes a lot more sense and I am so pleased by it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That looks like a muddy poo poo-show race I ran last year, only worse.

I learned the lesson of why 'mud' style tread exists, while I flailed desperately in no particular direction with wheels of solid mud.

Can't wait for this weekend, last weekend in a while I'll be able to ride. Loving the 450 XCF-W so far. It's just a dream.

aaaannnndddd my SM setup arrives tomorrow.

Edit: At work so no sound on video, but looking at the pictures, is that a 2 stroke only event? Don't think I spotted a single thumper.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Silver posted:

:what: You do know that it's a 2 stroke yes? Also a 690 would be a pig in tight trails/woods riding.

I use rotella and change about every 3 rides or so. It doesn't take a lot and it's cheap so no big deal.

Will this be your first dirt bike? 300 is going to be a bit much, kinda like getting a 450 4 stroke to start out on. Fun though for sure. I started on a 200.

Love this post. So much.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

His kick technique probably just sucks. Or some terrible newbie mistake.

450's take some convincing to kick over and dirt bikes, however new, sometimes just don't want to start until about maaaayyyybee 5 more kicks, maybe 10. Maybe 30 if its hot and you just dunked it in a puddle and splashed ice water all over your engine. With FI it shouldn't be a big deal to get it actually started. If he's a short bastard then that'll be a problem.

My 450 XC-W has an E-start and a kick starter, sometimes kicking it is nearly impossible the action is so stiff. Magic button, ahoy!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Well he has an idiot friend, basically.

Those are high compression 'no real thought given to being use friendly all thought given to going fast' style engines. I've never ridden one of the new FI Yamaha 450's but the older ones are pretty easy to kick over and get going and both my Yammi 250's are a dream.

Probably just not broken in yet, could be nobody knows the finesse to start that particular bike. Each bike has a kick that's right for it. Usually, firm and steady all the way through. Not just KICKICKICKICKICKICK *wheeze*

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Met a guy once at the MX track, young guy, YZ450F, bran new, no gear but a helmet. Let him borrow some extra gear I had for the day, tried to get him to take it slow, collected my gear off the paramedic before they took him away to get his leg back together.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Skip the poker run if you're worried about finishing the race already. Let the pack go and give yourself lots of room.

I'll be there with the gang this year. Intend to do the poker run and take it nice and easy during the race, just to finish. Not much hope of me winning the 450 class.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Tooler is a fun trail, way better up than down. Take that, to the pit, down the fire road, Kurts Conundrum to that single track I don't know if it has a name down to the tahuyaCaughvignah or w/e river trail, then jam trail back down to base, then up the 4x4 trail all the way back to the mid parking pit. Thats a good loop to get the day started and have some food.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 11, 2013

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

There's a Tahuya river trail at Walker? That's confusing.

Whoops. W/e it is I know I'm faster on it than you are.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I just bit the bullet and bought a Scotts underbar mount & Damper for my 450 XCW. Keep the bars going the right direction at speeds I've never been on a dirt bike before (65+) and keep it stable in SuperMoto trim on road courses through high speed corners.

I called Scotts to ask them a small question about bar position and not only did he know all there was to know about my bike, it rang twice and I got a real person and straight accurate answers.

That made biting the financial bullet a bit easier.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Work is finally slowing down enough that I may be riding dirt again...more than the trials bike in the yard or balance practice inside. Ran around a bit this last weekend and discovered that I need hand guards pretty badly, touchy brakes and small branches/vines/etc are a dangerous combo.

I picked up some small endurance Cycra guards that were in the bargain bin but now I'm thinking I may go with the basic aluminum bar option instead. How do the simple aluminum bar type guards work for single track type riding? Ideally looking for something small and light.

I ran these over the two year ownership of my YZ250F and loved them. The downsides that VT posted are true, they wont stop rocks/water/brances/vines from brushing or hitting your hands but many many times did I leave major scars on trees and not break fingers. Never had a lever bend or snap in many crashes either.

For my KTM though I'll be getting the sturdy metal bars with plastics guards. If you're going to buy a set, might as well get the plastics too. More coverage is better.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It was a great day at Walker yesterday, hardly anyone there and the upper levers were getting fresh snow but there was still lots of traction. Just enough slippery stuff on the ground that you can do gigantic power slides on the fire roads. Jam trail was a bit of a lake, but not nearly as bad as tahuya would get. A lot of the mid level trails were like riding up a small river. Great fun.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool, Gullus and I are in Seattle, ClutchPuck is about 30 minutes north of Seattle.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

No the 4x4 and Quadtards do that.

Can't piss off the side of a trail without staring at a trail side river of Busch lite cans and jerky wrappers. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah if you're moving to trails there is no saying don't do that. Absolutely do that.