Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I have the 450 XC-W and it's loving AWESOME. I probably would have bought a 300 had it been FI, which was one of the things I really wanted. Plus I've never been able to ride one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

tehk posted:

Anyone familiar with KTM's warranty?

Saturday I took my new 350 EXC-F out for its very first ride but ended up having to be towed back. About 10 miles into a state forest the clutch locks up and two bolts fall out holding the hydraulic unit onto the motor. I drop the bike at low speed after missing a tight turn that I needed to pop the clutch to get around but couldn't because the bike was currently stuck in gear and engine breaking had me slide 2 foot off the trial. I pickup the bike and replace the missing m6 bolts with some from the body work, but the bike will not start. Turns out the brass fitting for the gas/charcoal fume reburning system snapped due to a branch. The threaded hollow part inside the head was broken into three pieces but I was able to extract them using pliers. I didn't try starting it again because I suspected a part of the fitting may have fell into the engine.

its like 30 days or 2 weeks or something from pickup so act fast. It covers manufacturer mishaps like that, but not much else. Don't put more hours on it and consult the dealer asap.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Blaise posted:

First dirt ride of the season!

Tahuya State Forest. Good times! Anybody else in the Seattle area?

when did you get to the Seattle area?

I ride Tahuya all the time

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Any of you gone from a supersport / track background to a dirtbike? How was the transition?
$1500 budget - 2 or 4 stroke? Mostly desert - sometimes woods.

I, in theory, do it all the time. I primarily ride on the track these days on a 600 and get in the dirt on off weekends or when the weather is lovely (though I haven't made it into the dirt for about 3 months :( )

It's not that bad. The environment is SO different that your expectations of what riding a motorcycle at speed are like are going to not matter because reality is going to be dirt biking is it's own world.

I love it. Absolutely love to dirt bike. I'd do it every day of the week if I lived closer and had a schedule that allowed for more of it. Great for fitness, great to learn riding skills and it's hard to say but it may be the most fun type of riding period. Every day is something new, totally dynamic riding areas, just a blast.

Thats all sort of muddled but the summary is this: Don't worry about 'transitioning' into dirt biking. If you like it (you will) it'll happen with or without you thinking about it. It's mega good fun. Great practice, and at some point the skills you learn dirt biking WILL save your rear end on the street or track (many, many times over)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Has anyone ever done any flat track racing?

There is a indoor winter series locally I'm thinking of running this winter.

There looks to be a knobbies class so that would make it a very cheap form of racing. Elsewise I also have a supermoto set and could throw on some spare 160 rains I have if needed.

So technically, I think I'm basically ready to go and mix it up as a zero experience amateur. Just wondering if anyone has given it a go before and has any thoughts. Looks fun as hell.

Trying to figure out how I could maybe sneak in some pre-season practice and all I can come up with is going to one of the big gravel lots in our ORV area and making a oval out of rocks and logs and having a bit of a go.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm comfortable bashing with people. I've done enduro and motocross and supermoto and road course and and and etc and am eager to give flat track a try. Guess theres nothing else to do but to go and do it.

The indoor course is real short, looks like a 2nd gear affair for most bikes.

Should be a good time. Something to keep the skills sharp in the winter.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

VTNewb posted:

I think I'm about to buy a 2014 250 XCf-W without my knee being ready. Is this a bad idea?

I have a 13 450 and it's just the bees knees. I can't recommend the XC-W enough, or say enough good things about them.

(Get the 350 if you want a 250!)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

VTNewb posted:

Everyone is telling me to skip the 350! Dunno what to do!

I don't think the difference is going to be huge but unless you need to race in a specific 250 class... go for the 350. More power, negligible weight difference.

I never really thought my 250 didn't have enough power or that my new 450 doesn't have enough so I don't see how a 350 can't be near perfect.

I'd have gotten one if I didn't have such a hard on for getting a 450 & wanting it to be a bit better prepared for road course/SM track duty.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I got a skid plate, hand guards, 2 oil changes worth of filters and synthetic thrown in before I signed. That way it's ready to go from the gate.

I've added a Scotts to the XC-W since then, and a set of Supermoto kit, but else wise I haven't changed a thing.

I'll probably get the suspension sprung for me at some point but right now the bike is so good and I'm so OK that there's not much motivation to bother. I need to get a lot better before it matters.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm a big believer too, I've spent large amounts in getting my track bikes setup properly... which is most of the reason why my dirt bike isn't, just no budget for it.

My last two bikes were MX bikes I was riding 90% woods on, and when I took the XC-W out for the first time the changes in how the stock suspension works (compared to the MX bikes) was such a massive improvement in my eyes I'm still able to ride that high and put off getting the suspension setup proper for my weight, which is out of the target zone for the stock clicker ranges for sure.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A fine choice! XC-W crew represent!

They just give you the trophy when you show up on one of those

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This poo poo is awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTqFmdJxWmI

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That is really cool. So the bark buster attaches to the top of the triples? That looks ideal if that is the case.

Took the 450 XC-W out for it's first run in 4 or so months. Completely blown away all over again by how good that bike is. I was out of shape and out of practice and the bike hid my lovely riding beautifully. So much power and yet so much control over it. 1st and 2nd gear on the trails on that thing are absolutely delightful.

Most importantly, hilariously, hilariously fast.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I love the Scotts on mine, makes the bike seem so much less nervous at 60+ MPH on fire roads and helps it track better when doing point and shoot bursts of speed down trails when they open up. Hitting a rock awkwardly while WOT is so much less jarring. I've found the effects subtle but great. Have only had it on there for 7 hours or so thus far.

Its also a big help when I throw the 17's on and take it up to top speed on road courses.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Too bad your too much of a bitch to rock one for real.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Went riding in the pissing rain last weekend and had a blast. Uploaded the whole hour and a half to Youtube because why not...

Linked about 40 minutes in after the group gets a bit warmed up and the pace starts to pick up. First time really stretching the dirt bike muscles and the XC-W in about 6-7 months. Felt good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFhyPQbBJS8&t=2610s

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, lets dirt bike

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Found a balloon on the trail yesterday. Ran it over, it didn't pop, so I attached it to my camel pack and rode the rest of they day like I was two strikes down in Mario Kart battle mode.

All in all, pretty good day.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

bird cooch posted:

Yeah, he was a real jerk.

Sorry about that but...

Tell me more about this practice area you are setting up. You need help doing some labor, I can bring people to help in exchange for getting to shred some land.

North Seattle, KTM 450 XC-W. Bunch of us go riding all the time. Hit me up when you are better.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

When I was 10 I had an 86 KXD80 as my first dirt bike. Bought it from a friend who was moving away for $150 of my own hard saved money. Every trip to the grocery store I would pick up whatever dirt bike rag I could get my parents to buy me, and then pester them further to order some assinine sticker out of the back until my dirtbike was covered in stickers like 'RIDE HARD' 'JUST CRASHED' 'DUDES RIDE DIRT' 'SHREDDER' etc. Because I was 10, and thought that poo poo was awesome.

The end.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

n8r posted:

Contemplating trying to buy a 250 4T motocross bike. Probably not going to worry about riding trails, just a little DOONZ bike. I always rode my YZ450F better than my YZ250 but I'm thinking I don't need the power of the 450. What should I buy? Anyone spied any deals out in WA that look good?

Any 2006+ YZ250F or SX250F would be my choice.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

bird cooch posted:

P.S. WA goons, we need to get together!

This can happen. Reach out. There's a decent group of us.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Looks like Sunday at Walker is on. Email me at username @ gmail to form a specific meet up if interested.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

DRZ is a better bike than a KLR/DR in enough ways that it would be the one I want.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

450's don't get you when your whooping around on the gas having a good time, they get you when poo poo starts to get squirrelly and oh gently caress you came out of the rut and oh gently caress you hit that rock wrong and oh poo poo your not really in the seat and holy gently caress why is it so blue sky sky sky sky- PAIN

My KTM eats rears in the Washington rocks and hard pack at a hilarious rate and I hate changing tires so I'll usually ride them out till they are completely shredded; then I'll throw a new rear on and give it gas on some semi straight section of trail and it'll HOOK instead of SPIN and next thing I know I'm cleaning cedar bark out of my teeth. 450's rule.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 27, 2015

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Move your rear end back (way back) stand up and keep that throttle open for sand.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I swear I was just relaxing my arms while he took a picture and not striking a pose. It's hard to look casual in gear.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just keep crushing them!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

And bring a strap for towing/recovery.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nope. KTM woods two stroke best woods two stroke.

Yamaha is solid as gently caress too. WR250 is hard to go wrong with.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

holy poo poo that went as well as it possibly could have

7/10 for no gif of the dude head butting the jeep driver though

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Wow I had no idea! Road trip

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, we've started a tradition of riding Mattawa during the D100 because the place is dead and it has the same feel without the madness and camping in the freezing cold

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That Tahuya?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

An invasive root kit affecting the power band

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Those were really cool, nicely done.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, a few scratches and that inlaid layer of dirt that you can just never wash off and they'll look like poo poo.

Plus, there isn't really anything interesting to see under dirt bike plastics.

Part of me can't help but like it just because its different. I'd rather look at that then another blinged out energy drink sticker set on a bike that's bouncing off the rev limiter on the line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gonna do some Walker Valley tomorrow afternoon too if anyone cares