Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
It only goes as fast as you let it. As long as a person has good throttle/clutch control then it shouldn't be a problem. The difference really comes down to gearing and the creature comforts found on most woods bikes like e-start and head lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I'm somehow 3rd in points out of 55 odd riders in my class, which means Sunday I need to travel 4+ hours to a race to keep my lead.

Ugh.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jInmJ2WeBEM

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cross-posted from the sumo thread since its equally applicable

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone have any experience having a local dealer true spoked wheels? The rear rim on my DRZ is out of alignment with the hub, and you can see it wobbling on the bike. I honestly dont think its bent, just untrue. I tend to not trust local dealer mechanics, but dont really know where else to go? I have never trued a spoked wheel, and dont really feel like starting with the DRZ

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

cross-posted from the sumo thread since its equally applicable

I should think they could handle it easily, it's a relatively simple procedure that just requires patience. I think it is at least, I've never done it :v:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ice is a killer.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
needknees, gently caress YEAH! 2 STROKE BABY! :cheers:

Picture not related.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
It turns out I have an oil migration problem. That's why I thought my clutch was out of adjustment. The tranny fluid is seeping crank side. I just got the seals and gaskets in today. What a pain in the rear end.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Anyone familiar with KTM's warranty?

Saturday I took my new 350 EXC-F out for its very first ride but ended up having to be towed back. About 10 miles into a state forest the clutch locks up and two bolts fall out holding the hydraulic unit onto the motor. I drop the bike at low speed after missing a tight turn that I needed to pop the clutch to get around but couldn't because the bike was currently stuck in gear and engine breaking had me slide 2 foot off the trial. I pickup the bike and replace the missing m6 bolts with some from the body work, but the bike will not start. Turns out the brass fitting for the gas/charcoal fume reburning system snapped due to a branch. The threaded hollow part inside the head was broken into three pieces but I was able to extract them using pliers. I didn't try starting it again because I suspected a part of the fitting may have fell into the engine.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

tehk posted:

Anyone familiar with KTM's warranty?

Saturday I took my new 350 EXC-F out for its very first ride but ended up having to be towed back. About 10 miles into a state forest the clutch locks up and two bolts fall out holding the hydraulic unit onto the motor. I drop the bike at low speed after missing a tight turn that I needed to pop the clutch to get around but couldn't because the bike was currently stuck in gear and engine breaking had me slide 2 foot off the trial. I pickup the bike and replace the missing m6 bolts with some from the body work, but the bike will not start. Turns out the brass fitting for the gas/charcoal fume reburning system snapped due to a branch. The threaded hollow part inside the head was broken into three pieces but I was able to extract them using pliers. I didn't try starting it again because I suspected a part of the fitting may have fell into the engine.

its like 30 days or 2 weeks or something from pickup so act fast. It covers manufacturer mishaps like that, but not much else. Don't put more hours on it and consult the dealer asap.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

needknees posted:

Someone talk me out of dumping my yz450 for a 300xcw, please :ohdear:

Ramsus posted:

It only goes as fast as you let it. As long as a person has good throttle/clutch control then it shouldn't be a problem. The difference really comes down to gearing and the creature comforts found on most woods bikes like e-start and head lights.

Can't go wrong with the 300 needknees. Also Ramsus is pretty off base here. Bike power and weight have a huge effect on hustling through a woods trail. Compared to a yz450 the 300 is going to feel like a mountain bike, and it's awesome.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Your size matters a lot. I can throw around a 450 no problem. My forks and shock were also rebuilt by RG3 for a 200lb rider.

But even then the weight of a new crf450r is 242lbs including fluids while the crf250x is 254lbs (also with fluids). I've ridden my friends 250x and it feels so anemic in comparison.

Edit: See if someone will let you try one out before you get one, that's the only way you'll know what's best for you.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 9, 2013

HondaRider271
Jul 19, 2007
What pisses me off is the whole Of Mice and Men thing that was pulled. "Oh don't worry Lenny, nothing is gonna happen" "Will there be rabbits?" "Yeah you can take care of the rabbits " Then bam shotgun to the head.

It's not as if you could have been forthright and said "yeah we may have to demod you, here's the discussion if you'd like to represent yourself." Or at least waited for a reply so I could say "fuck no don't tell them I stepped down, that's bullshit." No, just throw me under the bus in hopes it will calm people down, say nothing at all while people are on their witchhunt, then decide in secret to remove me as a mod and tell people I stepped down. Great, what a wonderful experience this has been. Far be it from me to expect perhaps a courtesy PM asking for my input. Perhaps I would have agreed to step down in a public fashion, that wouldn't look so incriminating and terrible. Or perhaps we could have figured something out that would result in a punishment/ban but not a de
Holy poo poo how am I just now discovering this thread?! Are there (m)any motocrossers in here? Maybe in central Texas? :allears:

My first mx race was at 6 years old, I am presently on a 2007 crf250r and I have not been riding nearly enough in the last couple years. That terrible picture is him down there. Mostly stock, got a Megabomb header that the previous owner put on and that's about it. Great bike, only complaints are some bog from the 40mm carb (that I will be rectifying soon with a Boyesen Quickstart), and the 53 tooth sprocket that makes the bike way too peaky. The suspension is very nice though, I cased some hard doubles last weekend and the bike soaked it up perfectly. Still need to dial it in cause the rebound is too high and he doesn't want to sit in corners as well as I'd like.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I've been sticking to woods and dunes since I'm a student with no health insurance. I'd like to ride track, but the group I was considering going with a couple weeks back had a guy break his femur. It kind of turned me off from it for now.

I really want to though, I live about 10 minutes from a really nice track.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
I like a bit of everything really. Mostly woods though. I suck at jumps.

Vid from this weekend stuff.

3min or so: http://youtu.be/cRww27pYiNM

:cheers:

HondaRider271
Jul 19, 2007
What pisses me off is the whole Of Mice and Men thing that was pulled. "Oh don't worry Lenny, nothing is gonna happen" "Will there be rabbits?" "Yeah you can take care of the rabbits " Then bam shotgun to the head.

It's not as if you could have been forthright and said "yeah we may have to demod you, here's the discussion if you'd like to represent yourself." Or at least waited for a reply so I could say "fuck no don't tell them I stepped down, that's bullshit." No, just throw me under the bus in hopes it will calm people down, say nothing at all while people are on their witchhunt, then decide in secret to remove me as a mod and tell people I stepped down. Great, what a wonderful experience this has been. Far be it from me to expect perhaps a courtesy PM asking for my input. Perhaps I would have agreed to step down in a public fashion, that wouldn't look so incriminating and terrible. Or perhaps we could have figured something out that would result in a punishment/ban but not a de

Ramsus posted:

I've been sticking to woods and dunes since I'm a student with no health insurance. I'd like to ride track, but the group I was considering going with a couple weeks back had a guy break his femur. It kind of turned me off from it for now.

I really want to though, I live about 10 minutes from a really nice track.

I've seen more brutal injuries and wrecks than you can imagine. And I've also been riding for decades and never had more than a pulled muscle or concussion - hell I've been run over by 3 bikes on a 40 gate start and had nothing more than a few weeks of sore areas and bruises. If you're safe, intelligent and stay within your comfort level (and it doesn't hurt to know how to fall safely), you can mitigate nearly all the risk. There are freak accidents, but those can happen anywhere. To me woods are more dangerous because of the unpredictability. Random rocks, logs, wet spots, etc. vs a nice, wide groomed lane. If you're going slow in the woods then obviously that's less of an issue, but it's the same way on the track. The dude who broke his femur was probably going way faster and doing way more gnarly stuff than you would even be thinking about at first :)

Silver posted:

I like a bit of everything really. Mostly woods though. I suck at jumps.

Vid from this weekend stuff.

3min or so: http://youtu.be/cRww27pYiNM

:cheers:
Haha good stuff! Man I wish I still had a helmet cam, if you guys were impressed with that trail jump I would probably blow your minds with the stuff I do on a regular basis. Still, I like it and I especially like the 2 smoker :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HondaRider271 posted:

(and it doesn't hurt to know how to fall safely)

This. You wouldnt believe how many people start in dirt and never learn how to fall off the bike. Falling is part of riding dirt, and if you can control the fall you stand a much better chance of not getting hurt.

HondaRider271
Jul 19, 2007

Yeah exactly, I've crashed hundreds of times, it's no big deal at all. Crashing can actually be fun so long as you're not injured - you get a big adrenaline rush and lots of endorphins. Plus the stories. It's just like skateboarding or sports like that, if you don't know how to crash you will injure yourself, but if you do you can withstand unbelievable get-offs and walk away with everything but your pride intact.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Also, get bark busters! They make crashing so much less of a problem. I used to break cheap levers all the time as a kid when I laid the bike down. I definitely should have converted to them sooner. They give you so much more protection from trees as well.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

HondaRider271 posted:

Haha good stuff! Man I wish I still had a helmet cam, if you guys were impressed with that trail jump I would probably blow your minds with the stuff I do on a regular basis. Still, I like it and I especially like the 2 smoker :D

Yeah, that was more frustration at myself for not shooting across that, was no big deal for him. There's a few BIG ol jumps out there that bros huck it off of. Mostly was just a goony video of me or others riding. Quick slap together stuff from the day.

Also, expand upon this knowing how to fall, I mean accidents aren't meant to happen so how are you supposed to fall when poo poo just goes wrong on ya? Honest question.

HondaRider271
Jul 19, 2007

Depends heavily on the situation. You might know the feeling when you start to "lose it." Once you get fast you can feel it from a mile away. The most important thing is to make yourself loose - just like in a car wreck, you don't want to tense up and anticipate the hit. In the dirt you want to roll and soak up the energy as much as possible. Take this very old and embarrassing video of me for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZEHAIMl94U&t=18s
As you can see in this low-speed high-side I was already rolling by the time I hit the ground. That was no accident, I knew immediately there would be no way to save it, so I did the next best thing and just got loose and rolled. Obviously this was a relatively low-speed crash, but the point is clear.

Let's say you're low-siding at a low speed. This is of course the most common wreck by far, and the easiest one to practice since it's the least dangerous. In the case of low siding, the most common mistake people make is anticipate the wreck and try to catch themselves and end up breaking their wrist/arm. You want to hang on to the handlebars as long as possible. First off, you'd be amazed at some of the stuff you can pull through if you just hang on and give it some gas - many times this will save you as the gyroscopic force of the wheels on the bike will naturally straighten you back out. But even if it doesn't, staying in the normal "attack position" (elbows up, weight centered on the bike) will keep only your big solid body parts exposed (thighs, shoulders, back) and keep your more fragile bones protected. If you watch pro motocrossers when they low-side, they will try to pull the clutch in to keep the engine running. This serves a dual purpose - if you focus on trying to hold in the clutch as you fall over you'll be more likely to not only keep the bike running, but to keep the bike under you and keep yourself from getting tangled up in it.

That's low sides, crashes on jumps (for example) are of course very different animals. The thing I stress to new riders that come to me for advice is never drop the goddamn bike. For some reason lots of riders seem to think it's a great plan to jump off the bike mid-air when they realize a crash is impending. This is never a good idea. I mean maybe if you're just totally upside-down it is, but in 99% of circumstances you should always try to soak up the landing with the suspension first. In the worst case scenario at least you'll have absorbed some of the energy before you crash. Best case is you'll surprise yourself and not crash at all. Modern dirtbikes have absolutely amazing suspension, I can ride a stock mx bike and pound it through a big whoop section, or slam into the face of a big double and be no worse for the wear.

Looping out is an easy crash to walk away from, usually you'll be low and close to the ground so it's not a huge concern. Just roll if necessary and you'll be fine.

Endoing (end-over-end or over-the-bars) are the absolute worst. I've only done two of these in my entire life - TWO. That's because they're loving terrible and I take absolutely every action available to not endo. Both times I've endoed have ended in concussion, and I only remember one of them. There's no mitigation for an endo, you just close your eyes and hope you don't die. Usually you'll get hit twice, once by the ground and second time by the bike. If you can avoid one of those you'll be in good shape.

So short answer to your question is:
Low-side - hang on and try to give it gas and ride it out
High-side/loop - roll and keep yourself loose
Endo -

HondaRider271 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 15, 2013

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
edit: ignore me

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I learned quick from others not to stick your hands out to break your fall. There is a helmet cam of a guy doing that on youtube that breaks both wrists and a collar bone. I try to stay loose like you described above and try to roll with the fall if that makes sense.

So far I've had some pretty decent spills in the woods, but I ride with full gear including elbow and knee pads so I've never had an injury.

I did however break an ankle a number of years ago in a desert race on a yfz450 back when I rode quads.

Edit: I found the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYk7lve6fPI

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 15, 2013

HondaRider271
Jul 19, 2007

Ohhhhhhhhh man haha that was a good crash. He made four mistakes there. 1) He let off on the face of the jump (also just jumping too high of a gear), 2) he had his weight too far over the tank and out of position, 3) he froze up when the bike started to drop and didn't try to correct, and 4) he didn't panic rev and obviously gave up on landing it. He may have actually been sitting which will "seat bounce" you (by compressing the rear shock and using it to spring you off the face) and cause you to start to endo if you don't know how to do it right. That dude was very squirrelly though from the get-go and didn't really have any business jumping something like that anyway.

Also he did something annoys the hell out of me, which is move over when getting passed. Just hold your line! That's how people get cleaned out.

Here's an example of a more skilled rider making the same stupid mistake, possibly costing him a tib/fib break:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNeJ2nWt9Oo

Not saying he wouldn't have been injured, but I'd sure rather give my suspension a chance than just throw the bike.

Edit: And here's an example of why it's good not to let go :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri_0lHnx7tw

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Nice! All good info. Thanks!

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

HondaRider271 posted:

That's low sides, crashes on jumps (for example) are of course very different animals. The thing I stress to new riders that come to me for advice is never drop the goddamn bike. For some reason lots of riders seem to think it's a great plan to jump off the bike mid-air when they realize a crash is impending. This is never a good idea. I mean maybe if you're just totally upside-down it is, but in 99% of circumstances you should always try to soak up the landing with the suspension first.

This is some of the best advice. Let the bike absorb as much of the shock as possible and then just try to roll out of the way. If you throw the bike midair all of the energy that you have is going to go straight in to whatever part of you hits the ground first, and then you will probably get hit with the bike. Also if your going to be riding on tracks with big air possible you really want to invest in some good gear. I'm talking knee pads, neck brace, a good helmet, that sort of thing. I had a pretty bad crash last Saturday on a ~50 foot jump where I just got sideways and couldn't recover. I walked away with some road rash on my arm/shoulder and a bruise on my hand. The knee was torn out of my pants and my helmet was beat to hell and back. If I hadn't been wearing knee pads I probably would still be in the hospital and not be riding again for several months.

HondaRider271
Jul 19, 2007

Yeah proper gear is of course very important. I'm a knucklehead who still refuses to wear a neck brace. I'm sure they're better in certain instances but there have also been studies that show they redirect forces down the spine and in other areas you don't want it (chest which contains your heart and other friendly organs). Regardless, the tiny amount of plastic and foam on a knee pad will provide invaluable protection, it's really unreal. My friend was riding one day, whip-whopped sideways through the whoops and then got hit by a kid who couldn't slow down or didn't see him or something. He wasn't wearing knee pads and his ACL got removed in the crash... like gone forever and his body metabolized it. He had to have some fancy surgery to get it fixed. To this day he wishes he had asked for our knee pads - we offered him any extra gear he didn't have but he thought he was fine.

Even chest protector is something I never ride without. They're mainly used to protect against roost, but they certainly don't hurt anything when you slam your ribcage into the handlebars or whatever. People who ride without helmets are idiots. Also helmets are only technically good for about 1 good impact with the ground before they're compromised. They should be replaced every couple years regardless too because the foam will decompose over time. I am a broke rear end rider though so I replace helmets only after they hit the ground really hard, so my helmet is 5 years old :/

Silver posted:

Nice! All good info. Thanks!

Thank you! If there's anything I can share with other riders I am stoked to do so. My life basically revolved around motocross for the vast majority of it, so I have a wealth of knowledge on the topic.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
A neck brace would be nice but they are so goddamn expensive.

Edit: This isn't so bad:
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/EVS-R4-NECK-SUPPORT

The others are $300+ though.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 15, 2013

HondaRider271
Jul 19, 2007

Yeah I was about to say, EVS makes one that's barely over $100. Atlas makes a really stellar one for around $250, and Leatt and AStar have em for around $200 too. They're not nearly as bad as they were 5 years ago when the only options were $450 Leatts.

Edit: sorry for hijacking the thread by the way, I get excited talking about moto :shobon:

HondaRider271 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 15, 2013

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Haha, not hijacking at all. Thread is pretty stagnant a lot of the time. I normally wear boots/pants/kneepads/jersey/chest protector/helmet. I haven't invested in a neck brace, also haven't found any good elbow pads/armor I like yet. Probably upgrading my chest protector here shortly from the fox one I have to a leatte pro with shoulder/arm protection. Also will fit the leatte neck brace if I decide to get one of those. That's where I'm at gear wise right now. Didn't wear knee pads "Ahh the boots come up high enough" then I got clipped by a stump about half an inch above my boot that left a good gash. Got some after that. Armor/foam padding stuff.

Have done some moto, actually in fact was at a track last night but didn't ride as I didn't get off early enough to load and ride. It's fun but probably always be more of a woods rider, I don't see myself clearing any 100' triples any time soon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Silver fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 15, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Look what I did

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Ouuuuuuuuccchhhhhhhhhh. drat. You going to get a plastic one put back in or they repairing that one??

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Already back together with all fragments! Surgery went super well. Saved by kneeguards!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

VTNewb posted:

Already back together with all fragments! Surgery went super well. Saved by kneeguards!

Color me dense but how is a shattered kneecap being saved by kneeguards?

HondaRider271
Jul 19, 2007

I guess maybe without the pad it would have been chopped off :p That's a brutal x ray regardless, and modern medicine is absolutely amazing.

Silver posted:

Haha, not hijacking at all. Thread is pretty stagnant a lot of the time. I normally wear boots/pants/kneepads/jersey/chest protector/helmet. I haven't invested in a neck brace, also haven't found any good elbow pads/armor I like yet. Probably upgrading my chest protector here shortly from the fox one I have to a leatte pro with shoulder/arm protection. Also will fit the leatte neck brace if I decide to get one of those. That's where I'm at gear wise right now. Didn't wear knee pads "Ahh the boots come up high enough" then I got clipped by a stump about half an inch above my boot that left a good gash. Got some after that. Armor/foam padding stuff.

Have done some moto, actually in fact was at a track last night but didn't ride as I didn't get off early enough to load and ride. It's fun but probably always be more of a woods rider, I don't see myself clearing any 100' triples any time soon.

Personally, I don't bother with elbow pads. I mean they can't hurt but they annoy me because they restrict my movement and feel cumbersome. Elbow injuries are so rare that they just seem pointless to me. If you find some you like by all means go for it, more protection is never bad. You didn't mention a kidney belt in that list and that's something I would suggest. Those will help prevent internal injuries and will make the general bumps and shocks of riding less uncomfortable.

I actually want to get knee braces and have been meaning to for years. They're great for a preventative measure and will keep you from hyperextending/twisting your knee, which knee pads of course won't. Especially if you're older or have history of knee injuries I would insist that everyone look into braces. Some of them are absurdly expensive, but there are also plenty that are affordable. Also certain insurances will actually cover some of the cost in certain situations, so it can end up being very cheap. Especially when riding in the woods where knees are likely to get grabbed by roots or rocks and it can be twisted very easily.

And it certainly doesn't hurt my feelings that you prefer woods to mx! It's funny, I think woods guys are usually scared by mx tracks and mx guys are scared by the woods. I have done quite a bit of woods riding and it is always way more sketchy for me than the track. A lot of it is just due to experience on the track, but I just get freaked out by all the trees and stuff literally inches from the handlebars. Give me a 100ft triple over a tight, rocky trail with oak trees any day :)

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I have an evs jersey with the elbow guards built into it. They don't bother me at all.

On my last ride I was descending an incredibly steep black diamond rated trail with large rocks splattered with clay. My front tire slid right out from under the bike on one of the rocks. My right elbow slammed against a rock, but the guard absorbed it all. It didn't even hurt. I'm pretty sure my elbow would have been pretty hosed if it weren't for the guard. My brake pedal was bent up against the case, but I was able to bend it back down with a large screwdriver.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've had my own share of reminders about how elbow guards are a good thing. Some of the rocks and concrete trail reinforcements I've eaten poo poo on are pretty hard and pointy. Last time I went out in the sloppy mud, I whacked an elbow on a tree and it hurt like the dickens. If I wasn't wearing the pad, it probably would have at least ended my day.

HondaRider271
Jul 19, 2007

That's true I probably would wear elbow pads if I was riding trail, I was thinking in terms of mx.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Eh, I'm just getting started, bought my bike in Jan of 12, before that was an XR80 when I was 13. Also totally understand the woods vs. MX thing. I ride with a guy that does and enjoys both, but when talking about the faster guys he's basically says I'll pretty much try any jump before hauling that much rear end in the woods. Kind of the same deal. His kid does MX, doesn't care for woods riding at alllll. All depends on what ya like. Currently riding trails on the weekends and probably going to start hitting up the Tulsa MX track on Tuesday nights. I'll look into a kidney belt. I've looked at the jerseys with full padding and all but seems like it would get brutal hot in the summer time. One of my last encounters with a tree looked like...

So made me rethink shoulder and elbow pads. I think vid of it is posted around here somewhere, lots of cussing right after I smacked that pine.

This is what I"m currently looking at... Leatte Adventure pro but I can't see how it's much different than the adventure one Leatte Adventure.

edit: On elbow pads, which do you guys use? I can't find any that are comfortable.

edit2: Adventure is the 2012 model and Adventure pro is 2013 model. Never mind. :)

Silver fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I use cheap-o Fly racing one-size elbow pads, and I can't say they're comfortable - I start sweating under them instantly. But I do like using my elbows more than I hate wearing the pads.

Now that I am thinking about trail riding, I remember that I need a new chain on the DT before I head out next time. I think this will be my excuse to go with a beefier chain and sprockets - do you think I'll have any trouble going from the stock 428 set to a 520 set? Will a heavier final drive noticeably affect a 14hp motor's ability to put power on the ground?