Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

toplitzin posted:

Wrar and I are sitting here at work bullshitting, and i just had a AI as gently caress idea.

Wrar (and now I) are planning on coming up for the insanity of NEAI Summer Clusterfuck.

I had the crazy idea we tow up my dead subaru WRX wagon, find a donor engine (EJ205), swap it in, and drive the subaru back (everything but the driving part while drinking).

Wrar and I figure that for peak insanity we really pile it on, drag it to VA, meet up with Adibiatic and LaF, then tow it up with Literally a FIsh's vanasty from VA.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hell yea. I'd totally help with that.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I would have no problem with that as long as it's not going to wind up sitting at my place. I'd be happy to clear out the garage for that purpose.

However, just a fair warning. Traditionally at NEAI events, working on cars is the last thing on anyones minds, so don't expect that everyone is going to pitch in.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 14, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
At this rate the only way the Vantasy is making it to NEAI is on a flatbed. Apparently it's loving impossible to find a running chevy truck in this area (or at least, impossible to get the sellers to loving ANSWER THEIR GODDAMN EMAIL/TEXT/PHONE).

Also yeah, everyone is going to be too busy doing party poo poo to do any hardcore wrenching once we get there.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Noise Complaint posted:

However, just a fair warning. Traditionally at NEAI events, working on cars is the last thing on anyones minds, so don't expect that everyone is going to pitch in.
Unless the "car" is a weed whacker or a mobility scooter.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I might be down for wrenching, seeing as I've done 2 subaru engine installs and 4 pulls in the last two months, but at this point I can almost guarantee I'll be sitting this NEAI out. I've simply got too much poo poo on my plate with the house, 2 subarus, 6 jeeps, and buick and I'm months behind where I wanted to be on every project.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You mean like the 3M clear bra type stuff? I have a buddy here in Western MA that does that for dealerships.

That is the stuff. I will travel for someone who is good.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

BigPaddy posted:

That is the stuff. I will travel for someone who is good.

All I know is that him and his father are sub-contractors for dealerships and put these on constantly. I actually ran into him at a Subaru dealership I was working at and he was applying these to a bunch of WRX's. If you are interested PM me with your car and exactly what you want done and I can relay the info to him and see what he says. I do know he is pretty busy this tine if year but I'll see what the deal is.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I could be on board with this.

We could even do the engine swap at wes's and then you could just drive it up potentially (though the van will probably be being half-assed together at that point)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
DUAL RACING ENGINE SWAPS

(seriously if I have an engine ready for you it'll take all of two hours + troubleshooting)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Okay so what is the official date for NEAI? I will probably be crashing there in a tent with one of my roommates. Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Okay so what is the official date for NEAI? I will probably be crashing there in a tent with one of my roommates. Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!

It is the 20th of august as per the thread

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Who wants what parts off a red 2000 5mt ej25 forester? Most drivetrain poo poo is going in my spares collection but body/interior/chassis poo poo, make your requests. Soon as the new one is registered the old one is getting a sawzall/chainfall 2 years of ownership birthday party.

E: if you make requests before I apply a sawzall and pickaxe liberally there is a much higher chance the parts you need won't be cut in half. Prices: nothing will be more than two figures, figure 25-50% youpull rates unless I know you in which case $beer.

kastein fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 27, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Is your dash pocket lid still intact? Mines all busted up

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm all for taking an engine home with me if we can find a running ej205, but i don't think swapping during the weekend is the best idea.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

Is your dash pocket lid still intact? Mines all busted up

The weed storage bin top center? Yeah. Tan/brown interior, dash pocket is yours if you want it.

no I don't smoke weed, it just looks like a good storage spot

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

The weed storage bin top center? Yeah. Tan/brown interior, dash pocket is yours if you want it.

no I don't smoke weed, it just looks like a good storage spot

Cool, I'm not real picky on the color. It's also usually easier to remove the center vents/pocket as an entire unit than to just try and detach the door.

Also, it's probably the worst place for a weed stash ever, actually :v: the A-pillar trim is better :ssh:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Anyone want to do a winter meetup? Ice racing?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
AMEC racing or just finding a lake to dick around on?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

AMEC racing or just finding a lake to dick around on?

I prefer not dying, so the former is a better option. I dunno... just throwing it out there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

My wife bought a go-kart too (and she's smart, so hers was purchased for $50 more than mine, in already running/driving condition, unlike mine, which has already joined the backlog of semi abandoned yard art projects) so if someone knows where to get studdable tires for go karts we could really make this dangerous.

I am pretty drat busy till snow falls and sticks though.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'd show up to ice race once my wrx is done. Prefer the kind of ice racing where people arent crashing into my poo poo though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
AMEC is live track racing. Not ideal if that's your one request. Lime rock does a winter autox for about $300 a pop. Not really racing of any kind more than it is dicking around on a small snow oval. But it's literally 3-4 hours of actual driving time.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Sharky, when is your Alinea visit?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

toplitzin posted:

Sharky, when is your Alinea visit?

It was back at the end of September. Chicago is an awesome city, my mom enjoyed the trip immensely, and the meal at Alinea was good, although not great. I would recommend Grace over Alinea (although we didn't go to Grace, our dining companions did). A couple of odd choices for flavors, and portion size was all over the map. The wines were the low-point, surprisingly. They let the same wine ride for 2 courses twice during the meal, and the pours were stingy even for high-end restaurants. The first 10 courses were really good, but the desserts were flawed. Banana featured heavily in 3 courses, nearly in a row, and it was overpowering. Still an awesome experience, and I'm glad my mom got to experience it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Hey guys. Come hang out at my place. Ace stopped by a few weeks ago. Pipkin and Noise live super close. Let's get lovely.

(Probably having a New Years party)

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 24, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Bump.

Having an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party on the 23rd. Everyone is welcome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is the second time I've left snow tires on all year and cycled back to when they're appropriate. Couldn't have put more than 600mi on them, but still -- is that NEAI or un-NEAI?

sharkytm posted:

It was back at the end of September. Chicago is an awesome city, my mom enjoyed the trip immensely, and the meal at Alinea was good, although not great. I would recommend Grace over Alinea (although we didn't go to Grace, our dining companions did). A couple of odd choices for flavors, and portion size was all over the map. The wines were the low-point, surprisingly. They let the same wine ride for 2 courses twice during the meal, and the pours were stingy even for high-end restaurants. The first 10 courses were really good, but the desserts were flawed. Banana featured heavily in 3 courses, nearly in a row, and it was overpowering. Still an awesome experience, and I'm glad my mom got to experience it.

That reads like great, not amazing. How many dessert courses were there?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I've put ~10k miles on my car in the 17 months I've owned it. Most of that 10k being the first 10 months I've owned the car before I got a company vehicle. I gotta start the car every other day just to keep the battery from dying. Currently feeling guilty about paying so much for a weekend car that barely gets driven. Driving to Andy's house for the past NEAI was probably as much as I have driven it total since then.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I bought the red s10 as a winter beater and its been giving me all kinds of problems. Multifunction switch, heater core, window motor, and now keeps blowing brake light fuse. Column was all jacked up from being broken into, so I ordered another column(without tilt, silly me, and their diff lengths and steering shafts lol. Got another column and gonna try and get it all back together with some new tires tomorrow so I don't have to drive the blackness in the snow.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kimbo305 posted:

This is the second time I've left snow tires on all year and cycled back to when they're appropriate. Couldn't have put more than 600mi on them, but still -- is that NEAI or un-NEAI?

I left the ones on my 99 Forester year round and I know a couple others of us that run winterforces year round, its normal.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

That reads like great, not amazing. How many dessert courses were there?

It's NEAI.

And four.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that film camera I had at NEAI?

This photo brought to you by 1920.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Oh look, my Volvo quietly sits in the background, waiting to oOOOOOoooOOOOoooo down the road.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

toplitzin posted:

Oh look, my Volvo quietly sits in the background, waiting to oOOOOOoooOOOOoooo down the road.

I kinda wish that it was an actual S60R feature, and not a bug. VOLVO MATING CALL

um excuse me, that's cool as hell

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Team O'Neil is having an open practice day on 1/17: https://teamoneil.com/product/open-practice-day/
$40 an hour; run what you brung or use their cars.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Team O'Neil is having an open practice day on 1/17: https://teamoneil.com/product/open-practice-day/

It's cool that they do this, I went to their winter safe course in 2014 and had a great time. I've wanted to go back but haven't really had the money for a full class. Plus I just put some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s on my Fiesta which have been really great so far.

I decided to go out in the storm last night just to see how they did, no issues.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

kimbo305 posted:

6x the seat time of your average Rallycross with none of the freezing your rear end off cone shagging.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SFH1989 posted:

I've wanted to go back but haven't really had the money for a full class.

To be honest, I think the prices for their classes are pretty steep. I am not that talented, and to compress the skills training we were doing into 4 days was pretty rough. We were doing Scandinavian flick by the end of the 2nd day, I think, and I just didn't feel like I had the seat time to really settle it in. You sorta get the hang of it, and then an instructor pops in and does a way more impressive (less braking, way more rotation) version of it, and you're like, oh, I was barely there.

Part of the trickiness of loose surface driving is that the surface is variable, even as you're looping around on your runs. So it's hard to judge what you might need from any given situation. I'd probably do a 4 day at $2500, but $4000 (assuming some discounts) is a loooooot. I do wonder if you can haggle on prices, though.
They teach police and military out there at full price (I assume), so maybe they'd be more generous for a mere enthusiast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Their "rally experience" for $6,500 is right in the range of a logbooked properly caged used car on specialstage.

• Locked thread