Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Let's meet up in the parking lot by the local (Cambridge) Magic / nerd store, where every week I see a bunch of Subies (mostly STis) gather for some NASIOC thing. Seriously, what the hell could that be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I saw three nerds pull out from there one night. And one climbed into a old Monte. Sounded awesome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm looking for someone in Maine around Bangor to check out a car for me. Cuz I'm lazy and the drive up 95 wouldn't be worth it for an initial trip. Any takers? I don't actually remember where Slow is Fast said he was from.
e: oh yeah, of course, I would give a lil cash for your troubles.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Acky posted:

Im like 10mins north of Bangor.

Sent you a PM.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I'm looking for someone in Maine around Bangor to check out a car for me. Cuz I'm lazy and the drive up 95 wouldn't be worth it for an initial trip. Any takers? I don't actually remember where Slow is Fast said he was from.
e: oh yeah, of course, I would give a lil cash for your troubles.

Anyone? I tried to PM Acky, but this is a bit of a slow thread. I guess he might not have swung back by.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Where are the best winding dirt roads? The backroad leading out of Team O'Neil school were really really fun to drive. You had to be 100% on top of your car control even at 30mph. The only problem is that it's like 3hrs from me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

Augh gently caress I'm so sorry everyone, it's going to snow saturday.

Nice, another week I can procrastinate on my snow tires.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kastein posted:

Hitting Hollands junkyard up in Billerica tomorrow for big-rear end turbos if anyone feels like scrounging and/or dragging me out from under a vehicle when it falls on me.

Is that one of the e: only pickem yards in the area? I don't know of any in Boston, but it could be just cuz I haven't asked around.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 10, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kastein posted:

Yup. It's the old fashioned, semi unorganized, cars stacked two high, parts everywhere, rows of old commercial trucks and dumpsters full of scrapmetal hiding in the woods type of yard.

They used to have an all you can carry event in the spring and fall but I haven't heard about one for a year or two now.

Oh I've been there. It's awesome. Once I went in with slippers and I was like, hmm, how long ago was my tetanus shot?

For a long time I had [check Holland's website for all you can carry sale] every week on Google Calendar, but I eventually gave up :(. I was gonna go then to get a spare and undented hood for my Crown Vic, but that car's gone now. If you see a white CV with its hood unbolted, that was my doing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Only got 1 min in before I got too thrilled at the idea of having my car on some internet show:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3250210&pagenumber=12#post403086040

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

thArf posted:

Central MA checking in, havent been on this forum in a while but I'm still building and tuning LSX ridiculousness. Definitely want to set something up this summer, I'm putting some meets and dyno days together def want a good turnout!

Can a stock LS7 be tuned for any gains?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I want to go and get my post-Apocalyptic survival gear.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cool. How much would a tune run? And what's the GM tuning mechanism, anyways?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

thArf posted:

I usually charge 290 but for SA members I'll offer 260. If you want dyno time it will end up being ~450 total. With stock injectors/cam there isn't really a need for dyno time. I also sell a unit which you would own which can tune eight vehicles and you receive your tunes via email. Lots of new vehicle owners go for this as they can switch to stock at any time. I assume you're talking about a mostly stock LS7 vette, correct?

I use https://www.efilive.com

Completely stock '08 Z06, yeah. I saw you explain the EFILive in the Colorado thread I'll read the link.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I want to go, but I also want to check out this RB swapped 240sx in RI.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is on sale, in case anyone wants to do it:
http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/530-southern-new-hampshire/deals/326306-12-lap-shootout-package
I can't figure it out -- what's the catch?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

thArf posted:

I usually charge 290 but for SA members I'll offer 260. If you want dyno time it will end up being ~450 total. With stock injectors/cam there isn't really a need for dyno time. I also sell a unit which you would own which can tune eight vehicles and you receive your tunes via email. Lots of new vehicle owners go for this as they can switch to stock at any time. I assume you're talking about a mostly stock LS7 vette, correct?

I use https://www.efilive.com

thArf, contact me at kimbo305slice@gmail.com if you see this. I had some questions about the DBW on the Z06 and tunability of that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The flyer says 29th?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Which RMV sites offer driving tests, and what routes do they take? I'm teaching my friend how to drive and he's a slow learner. He'd probably melt if he had to take the test starting from Chinatown.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Epping is a pretty rough field. Be careful of the ruts!
Anyone going to the Boston car show?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Anyone need GM-specific computer help? I've got an AutoEnginuity with the GM addd-ins.

What are the capabilities? theArf was offering a tune on my Z06, and I was curious how much it'd been tuned prior, since CAGS is properly disabled.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Estate sale in Belmont, MA this Sat, with a nice 1st gen (?) Bronco:
http://estatesales.org/belmont-ma-estate-sales/belmont-estate-sale-1966-belmont-ma-242562

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Opensourcepirate posted:

My friend has offered to potentially trade me his 1987 560SEC for my 83 944. I don't know what to do!

Maybe this'll catalyze me finally getting you the doorcard for the 944.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm so jealous of how good that ZR2 driver is. He was always near the top of of Stock AWD in the season I did all the events in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Which car was faster, the 944 or E30? I've always wanted to know.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Noise Complaint posted:

From factory the e30 has about 20 more HP and is lighter. However the 944 seems to have a much better power band. I love the way the 944 sounds.

I'm surprised at how heavy the 944 (even an early one) is. But yeah, the sound is killer. I assume the cat didn't change the note much.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Doing Autocross in a 2 week old leased VW GTI is a good idea? I am tempted to do it before I take it for the first service and the free detail they are giving after delivering the car late.

Should be fine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Neptr posted:

Where's a good place to buy my first helmet? I want to try them on before I buy. I'm in the Worcester / Blackstone Valley area.

I can't think of any place that stocks them other than HMS Motorsports in Danvers :(.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Anyone else going to COM's NHMS track weekend 6/29-30? Octopus Magic, I hope.
I haven't had the vette out on track since last year. New rubber, new pads. Same lovely seats. The CF helmet I ordered probably won't show up in time :(.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I only did it once, and my friend and I got really lost by the 3rd checkpoint. By the time we rolled through what would have been the next checkpoint, the staff had already moved on. We managed to complete the rest of the route without any seeing another human being. It was simultaneously super scary and really awesome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://teamoneil.com/product/open-practice-day/
$20 / hour for practice runs on their really basic slalom and skid pad course. In snow, it's very safe. I could see a plastic bumper getting displaced if you really wanged it into one of the banks of the slalom.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is the second time I've left snow tires on all year and cycled back to when they're appropriate. Couldn't have put more than 600mi on them, but still -- is that NEAI or un-NEAI?

sharkytm posted:

It was back at the end of September. Chicago is an awesome city, my mom enjoyed the trip immensely, and the meal at Alinea was good, although not great. I would recommend Grace over Alinea (although we didn't go to Grace, our dining companions did). A couple of odd choices for flavors, and portion size was all over the map. The wines were the low-point, surprisingly. They let the same wine ride for 2 courses twice during the meal, and the pours were stingy even for high-end restaurants. The first 10 courses were really good, but the desserts were flawed. Banana featured heavily in 3 courses, nearly in a row, and it was overpowering. Still an awesome experience, and I'm glad my mom got to experience it.

That reads like great, not amazing. How many dessert courses were there?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Team O'Neil is having an open practice day on 1/17: https://teamoneil.com/product/open-practice-day/
$40 an hour; run what you brung or use their cars.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SFH1989 posted:

I've wanted to go back but haven't really had the money for a full class.

To be honest, I think the prices for their classes are pretty steep. I am not that talented, and to compress the skills training we were doing into 4 days was pretty rough. We were doing Scandinavian flick by the end of the 2nd day, I think, and I just didn't feel like I had the seat time to really settle it in. You sorta get the hang of it, and then an instructor pops in and does a way more impressive (less braking, way more rotation) version of it, and you're like, oh, I was barely there.

Part of the trickiness of loose surface driving is that the surface is variable, even as you're looping around on your runs. So it's hard to judge what you might need from any given situation. I'd probably do a 4 day at $2500, but $4000 (assuming some discounts) is a loooooot. I do wonder if you can haggle on prices, though.
They teach police and military out there at full price (I assume), so maybe they'd be more generous for a mere enthusiast.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That class might get you... 4 coefficients? On your rally license. So that helps. But not nearly as much seat time as having the car at NEFR. Going slow in a G2 car with no experience shouldn't get you in too much trouble.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Konrad posted:

Was the winter course mostly focused on safety, or did they cover left foot braking and the like? I'd like to take one of O'neils classes but the rally school is more than I want to spend. I'd be willing to use my own car for the cheaper class, but not if it's a boring defensive driving class where we talk about how often you should check your rearview mirror. I want to learn car control in a safe environment.

Just do the the open session day and practice LFB and ask the instructors if you don't start getting the hang of it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

https://teamoneil.com/product/open-practice-day/
$20 / hour for practice runs on their really basic slalom and skid pad course. In snow, it's very safe. I could see a plastic bumper getting displaced if you really wanged it into one of the banks of the slalom.

Went to this. Was awesome. But! there were no "their cars" to use.
I misread this: "try your hand at winter driving in your own car on one of our open skidpad and slalom areas."
as: "in your own car or one of our own"
So it was only run what you brung, which makes more sense.

Half the pretty short course (just over 60s in our slippery Charger on snow tires) was glare ice. Very safe but not that fast.
This was the north skidpad and short uphill, not the south skidpad with the longer, narrower straight. No offshoots or jaunts into the forest.
I think they picked the shortest configuration for simplest operation -- each car did pretty much a full run before the next car was waved through. Any mistakes and recovery time wouldn't screw up the next driver's run. The organizers would send in the plow truck to push some snow onto the ice and reset cones as needed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think we crossed paths on that descent back into Littleton! I remember thinking the XT with rally fog lights must be coming from the school.

I agree about needing momentum to slide around the bowl of the uphill U-turn, but without front power, 90% of the time, I was giving the last breath of gas with my rear wheels on snow and the front wheels cut over but hopelessly pushing on ice. In general, balancing rotation on the very limited grip available was tricky with the automatic and torque converter in the way. We rarely carried enough speed into the big right to be able to keep drifting the whole way around.
The most fun for me was the downhill slalom that had enough grip to get any speed. The snow bank was there at the end of it, but it was so grippy that any mistakes had plenty of time to straighten out.

Yeah, Team O'Neil is casual about safety, what with their loaner skateboard and ski helmets. I'd say it's appropriate to the level of risk the course offers -- I've seen cars get up to 60mph and digging huge ruts in NER rallyx events, and that is definitely more dangerous than here. Wyatt was running the plow truck, and he was the only guy I knew who was an instructor. No instructors available for even a demo lap, yeah.
Ballsiest driving was from either a tuned B5 Audi or a Fiat 500.

Two Focus RSes came out, though only one ran the course. It was driven fairly timidly, unfortunately. Didn't get to see Drift Mode do its thing on the last turn.

Coolest vehicle there (just a local checking it out):

Glamor shot (unless Team O'Neil puts out their pics, we weren't able to get any shots of the Charger with much countersteer):

Right entry into the bowl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHHIPzwMy4Q

Left entry into the bowl (with bonus seat belt buckle not working complaint from the car):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUI3CUs5oTE&t=5s

e:
Also, lol, I just realized that we were supposed to go through the
code:
>     < 
cones in the uphill slalom. They were down for a while and I was like, why isn't the cone truck coming around to fix this?

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 15, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If I were looking to get someone to replace a caliper, run a brake cable, and mount a parking brake to a Seven clone, does anyone know a guy who could do it for cheap?
Close to Boston is better.

It's the kind of thing that is achingly close to something I'd be willing to do, especially given how easily the car should be to put on jack stands, but I'd still rather err on the side of having a pro do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Anyone running Thompson LeMons on 8/12?

• Locked thread